Worst Hole of the Day - DOUBLE PAR OR WORSE ONLY!!!

I hit my drive straight down the middle on an uphill par 4 on the first hole. I took a 4 iron to layup short of the bunker. I chipped up and thinned the approach to the back rough. I chipped onto the down hill lie with a 60 degree and the ball caught the lip of the slope and rolled down to the bottom fringe. First putt rolled 15 feet past the hole. Second putt was short by 7 feet. Third putt broke wide right 3 inched from the cup. 4 putt for a double par on the first hole of the day. I felt so confident walking up to that first tee box too..

I think I could just about fill this thread with my blow ups. This one happened yesterday.

145 yard uphill par 3, that plays like 155-160 depending on the wind. I grab the 6i, my usual club for this hole, and hit a hosel rocket and hit it 40 yards forward and 50 yards right. 2nd shot I grab my 9i, and leave it short 5 yards. 3rd &4th were just beautiful little 12" fatted chips. Chipped my 5th to 6" and tapped in four a 6.

I don't mind getting a 6 on a par 4, but double pars have a way of getting me a little ticked off.

Played a round The Falls (www.thefalls.com). Played pretty poorly, but I blame it on the sodding.

But the worst part is ... I left my 8 iron at the course :(

It's been 4 days and no one has called it in yet... It's a Callaway Fusion iron so a bit older and less popular... unlikely to be able to get a replacement :(

Bummer, man. Maybe check ebay? Good luck finding a replacement.

Do you have a Play it Again Sports? Good luck!

Hole #15 at Oakhurst G&C in Clarkston, MI...member guest outing...4 guys on our first hole...9 was the lowest score in the group...heart rate was racing the entire hole! Par 5 playing 520 yards...tight fairway with sand off to the right...all 4 shots off the tee were duck hooked left...UGH...it got progressively worst from there!

First day of a matchplay tournament. It was qualifying to place us into flights. I hit 4 pars, 2 bogeys, 1 birdie, a 9 on a par 3, and a 10 on a par 4. I shot a 47 on a par 34. The par 3 115 yard 2nd hole is pretty hard. There is a narrow gap in between a forest to the left and a clump of trees to the right.
Hit my first shot into an unplayable shot on the first hole,
third shot into another branch as I was chipping,
fourth bladed chip over green,
fifth shot landed on the green then rolled down a hill to the right,
sixth on chip on the green,
three putt.

It turned out fine because I was placed in the first flight and proceeded to winning it pretty easily.

Played a round The Falls (www.thefalls.com). Played pretty poorly, but I blame it on the sodding.

But the worst part is ... I left my 8 iron at the course :(

It's been 4 days and no one has called it in yet... It's a Callaway Fusion iron so a bit older and less popular... unlikely to be able to get a replacement :(

Sorry about the club, that stinks. Good chance you could find one on ebay perhaps....

But I love this course! Best bang for the buck in the area. Everytime I come out west to visit my family, I usually play the Falls twice with my brother. NOT a handicap friendly course.... if you aren't driving it straight, you will lose many, many golf balls. And nothing like putting a ball uphill (or at least it looks like that because of the mountain).

Mine yesterday was a par 3, 205 yards, with water to the extreme left and before the water, sand that runs for about 100 yards parallel to the water and fairway. To the right there is the out of bounds. I am LH and sliced a lazy 3W into the sand. I tried to play it towards the green from the sand (I am awful in the sand) and hit it only about 20 yards. That left 60 yards more of sand in front me. I did this 2 more times then finally left it in front of the green. I chipped on and proceeded to 3 putt, I think due to the frustration of my sand adventure. When all was said and done, it was a 9 on a par 3.

It was only a matter of time before I could join this thread. Mine happened yesterday at Tavistock CC in Tavistock, New Jersey. I was defeated by the 7th hole which is a short (342 yard) par 4. If you hit to the fairway, you have a wedge or short iron in.

On a day when my driving was superb (I hit 11 of 14 fairways), I snap hooked my drive into the lateral hazard on the left, forcing me to drop but only having 188 yards to the green. I hit my next shot to what I thought was a safe landing area, only to find out it's a creek. Dropping again, about 60 yards out, I stub my 56 degree and my shot comes up short of the green. I'm steaming at this point. I decide to jump the creek and walk up to my ball.

My jump comes up a wee bit short and my right foot plugs in the edge of the creek, sinking to just below my knee. My shoe stayed on, but I still had to finish the hole with the laughter of my playing partners (The course superintendent, the member, and my client). I managed to make 3 from short of the green for a crowd pleasing 8.... I hate that hole.

Good story, WAM :) Better luck next time!

The last round I played this season was right at the beginning of October. All the trees on the course had seemingly decided to dump all their leaves the in the morning before my round [We played a 2:30 tee off]. The course officials had cleared the fairways of 80% of the leaves, but that left massive mounds just on the fringe/rough.

So here we were on the 1st hole feeling pretty confident (a simple 300 yards par 4) just keep it straight and you're golden. Being a rookie, I still decided to play my driver.. big mistake. I made solid contact with the ball, but my errant driver-slice hit me with a vengeance. The ball just cruised for an easy 175 yards, and then pushed right into the grounds keeper's favourite dumping spot for leaves. Goodbye ball #1.

I take out a second ball and drop about where I saw the explosion of leaves from my first ball entering the pile and figure i'd play it safe and go for a 150 yard 7-iron shot since that's what I am most consistent with doing... or so I thought. Again, solid contact with the ball, but it pushes right - into a grove of trees about 30-40 yards from the green. Here I'm thinking "Golden! I can play this, hole saved!" I take out my 54 and hit thin shot that sails right over the green and into another leaf dumping spot. Goodbye ball #2

Onto the third ball, this hole is done-for. I drop 10 yards behind the green but also below the green thanks to a small hill at the back of the green. "Nice and Easy" I'm thinking... which actually worked... except not. Fat shot, ball rolls up the hill a little bit and stops. Ok, forget it, I'm putting. Three putts later I'll take my... I can't even count that one.

Good story, WAM :) Better luck next time!

Hahaha. Thanks Hawk. To think if I didn't play this round, my last round of 2010 would have been Pine Valley. Lesson learned!

Black(Irwin) Tees. #12 at Highlands Ranch Golf Club. Par 4, 436 yards. Hale Irwins favorite hole on the course, this par four dog leg right features an uphill tee shot to a fairway sloping left to right. After avoiding the fairway bunkers, a good tee shot is rewarded with a short approach to this narrow, bunker protected green.

I took a 9 on this hole! That's right, a nine. I hit my first tee shot Out of Bounds right. No big deal, just re-tee and swing away. Well, I landed the ball in the native grass just short of a cross bunker. Okay, just punch out and pitch it close, but my punch out only went 30 yards. Next shot (5) was about 120-ish yards; an easy pitching wedge for me. I hit it pure, it took a huge bounce on the hard green, and landed in a bunker on the far side of the green. The worst place to be on this hole! The bunkers are severely sloped towards the green, AND I short-sided myself. Awesome! I attempted to be cute with my first bunker shot, and it landed about a foot from the edge of the bunker. If I had carried it that foot it would have been a terrific golf shot, but now I was lying 6. Blast out of the sand, and the ball rolls about eight feet by the cup. Two putts later, and I card myself a 9. That was fun! Not so much; a gigantic round killer.

Wasn't today, but my worst blow up hole of the year was #2 at Persimmon Hills in Sharon, TN. It was my high school district tournament and I was anticipating the day for weeks. I go on to birdie the first and get to the 2nd. It's a Par 4, 290 yards, but the green is not viewable from the tee, and you have a shot of 220 over water to a section of fairway, then a wedge into the green over the pond again. I pull out my hybrid and hit it great, but a gust of wind sent it straight down into the extreme front edge of the pond, leaving me to take a drop. I have 150 to the green from the drop area and I pull out my 7 iron and take my swing. I catch it thin and watch it skip across the water and embed in the bank. After dropping again, i put my ball on the wrong side of the green, left with a 50 ft putt with extreme right to left swing. I go on to 3 putt and card an 8. It set the tone for the rest of the day and I turn in a 89, which was a very horrific day for me. Our team went on to the regional tourney, and finish 4th place.

Resurrecting this thread.

Dogleg left, par 5, uphill, 515 yards. Hit a perfect high draw off the tee, center cut. Decided not to try to get close and lay up with a soft draw 5 iron. The first time of the day I hit a baby fade and hit to a muddy lie. The ball was sitting up and all I wanted to do was hit a hit punch shot up on the front of the green, 2 putt and get outta there. I end up taking more mud than ball and hit it half way to the green. Okay, up and down for par.... Thin next shot over the green, thin it again back to where I was before, chunk it to 10 feet off the green. At this point I set the wedge down and just putted.... 8 feet passed the hole. I am now lining up my putt for triple bogey, took my time, couple practice strokes... 360 power lip-out, tap in, bam.... 9 on the card.

Oh man. I used to love this thread, Craig. I carded my first 8 in a while today. I don't really remember the ending, but it started with a popped up drive and I was hitting 5 with a hybrid if that says anything.

Had a decent round going Thursday at a new to me course, then made the turn and teed off on 525 yard par 5 straight into 30-40 mph winds. Hit a nice tee shot which landed on right edge of dogleg left, hit second shot three wood to center of fairway within iron range, 5 iron drops on left fringe and bounces just a few yards down into thick rough. I'm pumped given the wind conditions this was a great third shot and with the green sloping to me I'm thinking this will be an easy chip right to the hole with big slope/backstop beyond the hole, surely I can save par, bogey at worse. Chip runs across the green like it's ice and stops in the first cut well above the hole, okay bogey at worse, all I need to do is start it onto the green and will roll right to the hole and stop. I tap it and it misses the hole by inches and is rolling so slow I can read Bridgestone as it turns over and over and over right off the edge just above my previous chip spot. Three putts later and it drops in for a snowman and smoke is coming out my nostrils. Clearly the back nine was built at a different period in time than the front as all the greens are very quick and small as compared to the larger front and much slower first nine greens.

Yesterday I was on the tee of a 185 yard par 3. The wind was strong into us so I took out my 4 hybrid and proceeded to hit it directly into the foliage that was growing out of a creek, just 20 yards in front of the tee box. So I took out a 6 iron to hit my 3rd shot, which landed on the green, then a 3 putt for a 6. Number 17, on the same course, another par 3. Again into the wind, at 175 yards, took a 5 iron on hit it nice but the wind took it hard to the right and out of bounds. Hit the third from the tee and pulled it hard left, about 15 yards from the green. Put #4 on the green and 2 putts for another 6. The wind, cold (50*), wet, and hangover made for a tough day at the course.

I was playing a course I had never played before. Wasn't having my best round but it was not to bad either considering the greens were in bad shape and none of us putted very well on them. Anyway we get to the 17th, it is just a straight away par 4 nothing out of the ordinary. I looked at the card and said laughing that there is no trouble and no water as it was not on the card. There was a small lake it front of us, only 30yd wide. I had hit everyone of my drives fine all day. Well not this one, topped it and into the water! So I teed up another still laughing because there is no trouble. Hit it into the dry creek running down the right side. It was sitting up so I just decided to put it out in the fairway. Nope, chipped it into deeper weeds. Next shot I get it out of the creek off the side of the fairway--behind a tree. Well I decided that since I am so good at slicing this should not be a problem to "shape" it around the tree. Nope- hit it solid across the street into a yard. At this point I was just laughing at what was going on and since I lost the hole already I just dropped another ball where it went over the street. 50 yards to the center of the green--hit it over the green!! Finally finished with an 11. What a hole! The 18th par 5, down the middle of the fairway and just missed a birdie. And had a par on the 16th. Lesson, never tell your partners there is no trouble :)

My worst from the weekend could have been my best, but golf has a way of making good from bad and vice versa.

Par 5 - not sure of the distance

1. Driver into a fairway bunker - good lie and angle though.
2. Nice shot out of the bunker to 120 yards.
3. Fatted an 8 iron onto the green, but short of the pin.

This green is horrible. The back edge (where the pin was) falls off. I'm below it, so I have to putt uphill, then let it trickle down and not run off the green.

4. Uphill putt to the crest, but didn't hit it hard enough to make it over the hump.
5. Downhill putt that went 8 feet past.
6. Uphill putt that just missed.
7. Tap in

GIR and a four putt. LAME.

One of my worst holes of the weekend actually had one of my best putts, which saved me from possibly going double digits.

430 yard par 4, hit drive left into the crap. Third shot off the tee to the middle of the fairway. 4th shot into the ravine between the 1st and 2nd fairway on the hole. 6th shot short of the green, 7th shot to 15 feet and made the putt for an 8.

I also had two nines in the same round, but I remember this hole best, probably because of the putt.

I had 2 doubles in my round yesterday but will pick the one that bothered me the most.

Hole #6. Par 5 playing at 460 into the wind but a very narrow hole and you have to carry a ravine off the tee at 200. It was about a 220 carry with the wind. Hit a solid drive but it leaks at the very end leaving me 210 to the green. My ball is right next to a tree and have another tree in front of me that I must play to the left of.

Should have been a punch shot to about 140 with the 5 iron but I catch it dead clean and it lands on the left side of the fairway and bounces into a creek that runs down the entire left side of the hole. Drop at about 120 out and go with a smooth 9 into the wind. Flushed it and it lands on the back right of the green but rolls off. Poor chip to 26 feet and 2 putt for double bogey. This is a hole that I have birdied numerous time and an easy par if you avoid the hazard.

I had 2 doubles in my round yesterday but will pick the one that bothered me the most.

Hole #6. Par 5 playing at 460 into the wind but a very narrow hole and you have to carry a ravine off the tee at 200. It was about a 220 carry with the wind. Hit a solid drive but it leaks at the very end leaving me 210 to the green. My ball is right next to a tree and have another tree in front of me that I must play to the left of.

Should have been a punch shot to about 140 with the 5 iron but I catch it dead clean and it lands on the left side of the fairway and bounces into a creek that runs down the entire left side of the hole. Drop at about 120 out and go with a smooth 9 into the wind. Flushed it and it lands on the back right of the green but rolls off. Poor chip to 26 feet and 2 putt for double bogey. This is a hole that I have birdied numerous time and an easy par if you avoid the hazard.

Skimmer! A double bogey doesn't qualify! It's supposed to be double par at best!

Back