Cleveland Releases Black Irons

Pretty much what I was thinking too. Now, if youre bringing the graphite shafted irons in at this price point you got a winner on your hands. But I just dont see the justification for $899 GI irons.

They have a high price point, true. But they are some incredible irons. They will do well, even at the high price.

You guys know the CBs are $899? How about the Razr XF? Mizuno MX-1000? How about Ping Rapture when they were released? All that price or higher. Granted many were 8 irons (although some of those were more than $899 and cost per iron is similar), but the general consumer is not as concerned about the # of irons in my opinion. Its about a set price. When certain "ingredients" are used, the cost of irons goes up. As has been stated, just like most companies, they have an iron set at almost every price level. This is on the high end of that bracket, just as the other irons are for those other companies.

Its about having choices for different golfers. The Black line is about a different segment and it was addressed in detail in the radio show about the driver.

The first two you mentioned are forged and the last two you mentioned sold terribly and consequently haven't seen any sort of reproduction. It's ok. I think $899 for a set of Cleveland GI irons with steel shafts is way too steep. And mostly b/c Cleveland's resale value is terrible. I don't know why but it is. I'm sure they have their target audience, and yes, I listened to the show, but I just think that's an absurd price for a set of irons that aren't all that impressive (aesthetically). What "ingredients" make them that expensive?

Yeah I'm in the swing speed target audience and it feels steep to me. That's all I'm saying.

Tapatalk

The first two you mentioned are forged and the last two you mentioned sold terribly and consequently haven't seen any sort of reproduction. It's ok. I think $899 for a set of Cleveland GI irons with steel shafts is way too steep. And mostly b/c Cleveland's resale value is terrible. I don't know why but it is. I'm sure they have their target audience, and yes, I listened to the show, but I just think that's an absurd price for a set of irons that aren't all that impressive (aesthetically). What "ingredients" make them that expensive?

Im not sure where you got your numbers from on the "sold terribly", but that is not correct. And Ping absolutely brought back the Rapture when they had the Rapture V2. Then moved the line to the K15.

And I dont know a single OEM that bases their pricing based on resale value.
Its clear you dont like them, because if you look at your comments in other companies "high priced" iron sets, there is a different thought there (or at least worded differently). Not everybody is going to like every iron, or agree with the price of every iron. That is why companies offer choices.

No set is going to be priced right for everybody. However just like EVERY single brand on the market, this company has an iron that fits each price line. Most companies now have irons that are 699, 799, 899.

I want to add that my thoughts here have little to do with this brand or any brand. You can see my thoughts on the same subject in the Callaway Razr XF thread, the Mizuno MX-1000 thread or any other high priced iron set thread. I feel as though more choices from any company offers consumers exactly that, more choices. Im a big believer in companies hitting every price range and love to see more companies continuing to do so.

Its the reason we have more choices than ever and while that only leads to better competition between OEMs and better products for us golfers.

Ri wish them good luck with sales. Ping's are always expensive, always have been. Almost the same for Mizuno. The problem I have with Cleveland's pricing here is the resale. You'll be able to find this 6 months after they release for 1/2 the price. They don't hold value. Never have, never will.

That I completely agree with, options as the consumer is always a good thing.

I still find it odd about the steel and graphite being priced so close together. If you look at the R11 irons there is a $200 difference between the two. And the Clevelands have an arguably better graphite shaft in them. If it were me it would be a no brainer to go with the graphite being only $100 more. Hopefully that would be a better long term investment too.

I can't say I love the price but I really like the looks of these. I would not be looking at steel so the $100 difference between the steel and graphite is a good bargain with regards to the graphite shaft. Can't wait to hit these.

I would put these in a premium game improvement line. I guess I didn't understand the premium nature of these clubs. The driver is 399 and FWs are 229.

Tapatalk

I love the look of these, but I too have to say that I am very surprised at the price. I am excited to try these out and see if the price is justified.

I'm wondering if it's just because Cleveland has never been a company that I see as a premium line company?

Do they have a premium steel shaft in them?

I'm wondering if it's just because Cleveland has never been a company that I see as a premium line company?

That might be exactly what I'm struggling with.

Nippon Pro.

I'm a fan of the Nippon shafts.

So you said these arent replacing any current lines but nudging in after the CG16's?

I'm a fan of the Nippon shafts.

So you said these arent replacing any current lines but nudging in after the CG16's?

As of now and their 2012 lineup, the CG16s are in fact staying in line and these would be on top of them in terms of price.

A lot of talk about if these irons are worth their price or not, and it's a good argument. But, at the end of the day if they improve scored they are worth it, right?

I'm a mid handicapper, and can use all the help I can get out of an iron. From the first time I picked the black irons up, I could hit them well. I saw great distance and some incredible accuracy. I was a big fan of the miya shafts in them, and they felt great in hand.

Could the be price be lower? Sure. But, for me, and I am sure for other players like me, they work. Are they priced out of my range, possibly, but if it leads to better scores for me it would be worth it.

I would highly recommend that folks hit then before they make decisions on them. Sure they aren't forged or blades, etc, but IMO, they are some damn good irons.

The other question I had is if this set is composed for those for <100 swingspeeds why make setup 4-PW? As Nate mentioned in his excellent interview with JB the question came up why hybrids were not included in the makeup and Nate stated that that slower swing speeds were better off hitting fairway woods than long hybrids. If that is the case than why include a 4 iron instead of making the 7 club set 5-GW? I doubt the majority of people who purchase these irons would use the 4 iron making the higher price even less justified for the user since they would only be using 6 clubs (5-PW). Plus the fact that for those people that ho equipment it will be very difficult to trade in or sell these irons when they move on to other equipment as almost all trade in and sales require an eight piece set. I know that OEM's don't consider resale value into their pricing structure, but for those that purchase equipment and frequent golf equipment websites it is a reality. I was very interested when I heard about the release as I loved the CG16 irons but now knowing the specifics not so much from a usage standpoint. Just saying.

Saying that it doesn't matter that you get one less club because its about the "set" price, is only something a seller could love. What would be cool is an 8 piece set where the buyer gets to pick 3-pw, 5-9+3wedges, 4-GW or SW, a 2 hybrid 20 and 23 + 5-PW. Now that you can order via the internet there is no reason why sets are more customizable. Then I see $899.

Saying that it doesn't matter that you get one less club because its about the "set" price, is only something a seller could love. What would be cool is an 8 piece set where the buyer gets to pick 3-pw, 5-9+3wedges, 4-GW or SW, a 2 hybrid 20 and 23 + 5-PW. Now that you can order via the internet there is no reason why sets are more customizable. Then I see $899.

That is not what I said.
What I said is that the general consumer is not as concerned. Should they be? Perhaps, but if the recent trend in iron changes matter, they are not. I actually think it was a clever idea by the consumer. Rather than have the set of 8 priced at over $1k, they did a set of 7 at $899 to fill the gap that they did not have in their other sets on the high end.

A lot of talk about if these irons are worth their price or not, and it's a good argument. But, at the end of the day if they improve scored they are worth it, right?

I'm a mid handicapper, and can use all the help I can get out of an iron. From the first time I picked the black irons up, I could hit them well. I saw great distance and some incredible accuracy. I was a big fan of the miya shafts in them, and they felt great in hand.

Could the be price be lower? Sure. But, for me, and I am sure for other players like me, they work. Are they priced out of my range, possibly, but if it leads to better scores for me it would be worth it.

I would highly recommend that folks hit then before they make decisions on them. Sure they aren't forged or blades, etc, but IMO, they are some damn good irons.

Not everyone has had the luxury you've had, or will have, with these irons. It's quite uncommon for someone to get the chance to bag a set of irons for multiple rounds before purchasing. THP outings/demo days help with that of course but I'd say 99% of people will be demo'ing these indoors or at a demo day and not during actual rounds of golf.

Not everyone has had the luxury you've had, or will have, with these irons. It's quite uncommon for someone to get the chance to bag a set of irons for multiple rounds before purchasing. THP outings/demo days help with that of course but I'd say 99% of people will be demo'ing these indoors or at a demo day and not during actual rounds of golf.

I believe that is what he is speaking of though. Hitting them before trying them. No different than when you have reviewed pre-release items for THP. You hit them and reported what you saw and in some cases were raving about items because they helped you that much.

I believe that is what he is speaking of though. Hitting them before trying them. No different than when you have reviewed pre-release items for THP. You hit them and reported what you saw and in some cases were raving about items because they helped you that much.

Yup. But I read this line:

at the end of the day if they improve scored they are worth it, right?

And they very well could be worth it, but my point is, most people don't know if they'll "improve scores" or not. That's all. Look, I think they irons are great, and I like what Cleveland's pumping out, but like I said, my concerns about the pricepoint have to do with resale and I guess my preconceived notions. It's just not a sticker price I'm familiar with when it comes to Cleveland Golf. Sticker shock I guess.

Yup. But I read this line:

at the end of the day if they improve scored they are worth it, right?

And they very well could be worth it, but my point is, most people don't know if they'll "improve scores" or not. That's all. Look, I think they irons are great, and I like what Cleveland's pumping out, but like I said, my concerns about the pricepoint have to do with resale and I guess my preconceived notions. It's just not a sticker price I'm familiar with when it comes to Cleveland Golf. Sticker shock I guess.

I understand what you are saying, but that is the entire point of testing and reviews on THP. When you reviewed the Burner 2.0's before release and spoke of getting incredible distance and accuracy and lowering scores, they were believed to be real, because they were real. Just as this was. Someone got the opportunity to try these out and gave their opinion on them and why the price worked okay for him.

Back