Yani Tseng wants to play against the men

Brian Gay vs. Yani Tseng. From the tips on a PGA Tour event. I'll put money on BG every time. I don't care how far she hits it. She isn't the long iron player that these guys are. All too often the girls with her length hit driver/mid-short irons on their par 4's. He'd win 99/100 times.

I don't think he would win 99 out of 100 times, but I would think the odds would be in his favor more often than not. With that said however, I don't think their distances would be as "off" on the iron approaches to the green.

In one round, this is what should happen based on their average stats. Based on their driving distance stats, it appears they would be around the same distance from the green, but Yani would edge him out by a couple yards a few times. Out of the 14 fairways to hit, Brian would hit 10 of them. Yani would hit 9 of them.

Now, if they are playing at the Puerto Rico Open, it will likely play around 7,200 yards. Obviously holes are going to be both long and short, but the "average" hole length is 400 yards. Let's just say they are on a 440 yard par 4. If they each hit the fairway with an average drive, they will both be left with around 175 yards left. For Brian, he will be hitting a 6-iron (based upon Golf Digest article). Yani will be hitting a 5-iron (based on Golf Digest article). A 1-club difference. Not a huge difference, but should be noted.

Brian Gay's GIR percentage, however, is only 63%, while Yani's is 76%. Without a doubt, playing from further away, you would expect Yani's GIR to drop, so it is difficult to gauge exactly how these stats can compare. It is unclear whether her GIR would drop below Brian's 63% by adding an average of 40 yards to every hole.

Now... with scrambling, unfortunately, there does not appear to be an applicable stat for the LPGA. But, suffice to say, that Brian would likely kick her butt here, as Brian is one of the best when it comes to scrambling!

I didn't read the whole thread but I don't think she should be allowed to play because allowing her to play means one men's player cannot qualify. Obviously the one man left out isn't a big name and probably needs whatever money/points for his livelihood whereas she's made how many millions this year alone? The man whose place she be taking NEEDS that spot while she simply WANTS it for fun. She wants to improve her game? Seems like she's pretty much mastered her game amongst the ladies.

I love hypothetical stuff like this. I'm so impartial to what she does. I just don't think she'd be successful in a PGA Tour event. Maybe she'll prove me wrong.

I didn't read the whole thread but I don't think she should be allowed to play because allowing her to play means one men's player cannot qualify. Obviously the one man left out isn't a big name and probably needs whatever money/points for his livelihood whereas she's made how many millions this year alone? The man whose place she be taking NEEDS that spot while she simply WANTS it for fun. She wants to improve her game? Seems like she's pretty much mastered her game amongst the ladies.

But it has nothing to do with "qualifying". It is a sponsors exemption... meaning they are exempt from qualifiying. Because it is an "exemption", it isn't something that someone "deserves."

Last edited:
I dunno.. I've sort of been waiting for her to come out with something like this. We can guess and debate how she would do and so on and that is fun. But if you really need to get to the meat end of the potato there's only one way to find out. That's for her to stop talking (or agents) and pull a Nike (just do it). I have not looked at her stats but she has a decent driving avg no?

Alex

I dunno.. I've sort of been waiting for her to come out with something like this. We can guess and debate how she would do and so on and that is fun. But if you really need to get to the meat end of the potato there's only one way to find out. That's for her to stop talking (or agents) and pull a Nike (just do it). I have not looked at her stats but she has a decent driving avg no?

Alex

Her average is 267 point something. That is why the Brian Gay comparison came up since he is the shortest on tour at 269 point something. She is the longest lady on average.

To me, it makes perfect sense for her to want to do this, and it sounds like she has the right attitude about it. I'd like to see her try as dominate on the LPGA as she has been. She may fail like others before her, but I think she deserves the chance to try as much as, if not more than, those that tried before.

Her average is 267 point something. That is why the Brian Gay comparison came up since he is the shortest on tour at 269 point something. She is the longest lady on average.

Ahhhh... that's why I guess I have to read entire threads. I was wondering why Brian Gay was the direct comparison. I thought she was considerably longer than that based on some of the broadcasts I've watched.

Alex

For me, no good ever comes out of anything like this because it always turns into a man vs woman thing. If she misses the cut, it makes the LPGA look way inferior, and if she does well everyone will just say it was a fluke and that there is no way she could play at the PGA Tour level on a regular basis. There is a reason there are different tours.

Just to confuse everyone even more about Brian Gay's length.. Brian Gay's avg ball speed is 153.12. His highest recorded ball speed this year was 183.79. That's inside the top 15 for fastest of the year if my math is right. Where the heck did he find 30 mph of ball speed?

Just to confuse everyone even more about Brian Gay's length.. Brian Gay's avg ball speed is 153.12. His highest recorded ball speed this year was 183.79. That's inside the top 15 for fastest of the year if my math is right. Where the heck did he find 30 mph of ball speed?

Guess that little blue pill really does work wonders

Yani Tseng will get a chance if she wants it:

From Golfweek Magazine: November 2, 2011 by Sean Martin

The Puerto Rico Open will be happy to help Yani Tseng if she decides to play against the men. Sidney Wolf, the tournament’s general chairman, told Golfweek that he intends to offer Tseng an exemption into his event in 2012. The PGA Tour event will be held March 8-11, opposite the WGC-Cadillac Championship at Doral.

http://www.golfweek.com/news/2011/nov/02/puerto-rico-open-will-offer-exemption-tseng/

I think she should arm wrestle Brian Gay.

Seriously, though, I think she would give him all he could handle in straight up match play, and I would love to see that happen. THP should organize it.

Kevin

Hmmm....Jason Sobel just posted this on Twitter:

Yani Tseng reportedly turns down Puerto Rico Open exemption. Even so, PR Open got its money's worth. And yes, "PR" has double meaning.

Don't really blame her for turning down this exemption. That PR course is pretty long and usually windy. That's not going to help her good play chances or to really learn anything from playing with the men, other than they struggle in windy conditions too.

Come on Harbour Town, don't let me down on the exemption!

Hmmm....Jason Sobel just posted this on Twitter:

Yani Tseng reportedly turns down Puerto Rico Open exemption. Even so, PR Open got its money's worth. And yes, "PR" has double meaning.
Isn't the PR Open played the same weekend as one of the majors? I know it's not a very strong field so that's probably why she doesn't want to play it.

Isn't the PR Open played the same weekend as one of the majors? I know it's not a very strong field so that's probably why she doesn't want to play it.

Plays opposite the WGC Match Play. I don't think the ladies majors start up that early?

Yani posted that it was too soon and she was still concentrating on the LPGA

PR Open is 3/8-3/11 next year. I can't find the LPGA schedule for 2012 but this year there was not a tourney that weekend - there was actually a 3 week break:

HSBC Women's (February 24-27)
RR Donnelley LPGA Founders Cup (March 18-20)

Plays opposite the WGC Match Play. I don't think the ladies majors start up that early?
Yes, the WGC event, I knew there was a big men's tournament opposite the RP Open, not talking about an LPGA tournament.

the real question here is...are any of the men playing married? If so, this is not a good idea

the real question here is...are any of the men playing married? If so, this is not a good idea
Never stopped Eldrick.

I support her wish.

She is unlikely to win, but I think she will put up a great account of herself and it will be wonderful to watch.

:thumb:

The question is should she be allowed to play on the men's tour? Can a man play on the women's tour? No, because they aren't allowed to. So a woman shouldn't be allowed to play on the men's tour either. Sorry women but you can't have it both ways!

The question is should she be allowed to play on the men's tour? Can a man play on the women's tour? No, because they aren't allowed to. So a woman shouldn't be allowed to play on the men's tour either. Sorry women but you can't have it both ways!

Well, there is the LPGA and the PGA. Notice that there is not a MPGA?

Like it or not, they are allowed to.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Back