Adams a12 OS Irons Review Thread - Forum Testing

Sorry about your back TBT. I know what you mean about needing a few days off as my shoulder has been bothering me for a while now but I keep on playing non-stop anyway. It really needs a rest.

I shot an 87 today. I had a few bad holes and a few good holes but nothing great. It's funny how I shoot worse from the forward tees than I do from the gold tees. Of course I was playing with the ladies and we were playing for bragging rights. I won bragging rights but only because no one played well today.

Shots I had with the Adams:
  • 5 hybrid from side hill lie - missed short and a little right
  • 9 iron from fairway bunker to 15' short of pin
  • 6 hybrid off tee to center of green
  • 9 iron - hit thin and went well over back of par 3
  • 9 iron onto center of green
  • 5 hybrid off tee to center of fairway
  • 8 iron straight but just off back of green (flag was in back)
  • PW hit thin and went over back of green
  • 6 hybrid to middle of fairway (short dogleg lay up)
  • 9 iron missed just right of green pin high
  • 9 iron - hit thin and went over back of green
  • GW tee shot on short par 3 - perfect distance but missed just right and went into bunker
  • 8 iron - nice high shot which landed and stopped in middle of green
Definitely not my best ball striking day. I hit several shots thin and over the green. Old habits of trying to lift the ball come back regularly to haunt me.

Testing Update:

I had a couple range sessions this week with the GW as my main focus. On weds I also took out the hybrids and had about half and half. It's more a symptom of not playing a lot but that's where we always come back to the forgiveness. Always seem like they would stay in play. I'm fighting a bit of a slice with the hybrids right now.

But the main thing is I hit probably about 80 balls over the last two range sessions focusing solely on the GW. The first time I went out this week I hit about half full shots and half, 3/4 shots. I was getting pretty frustrated to be honest. I couldn't seem to get the 70-80 shot I was looking for. Every shot whether I choked down or not went the same. Not what I had envisioned.

Well last night, I got a small bucket and went to work. Something just clicked and I was going after flags at 71 and 79 yards out. I found if I choked down and took a little shorter swing, it worked out well. I was a little long on the shorter flag but right on at the 79 yard flag. this is perfect as there are times where I'd rather run the shot up than take a full 56* wedge. Especially since this shot was a lot straighter and a little easier to control for me. I was really happy and Ill continue to work this shot into my bag. What a versatile weapon this GW is turning out to be.

Testing Update:

I had a couple range sessions this week with the GW as my main focus. On weds I also took out the hybrids and had about half and half. It's more a symptom of not playing a lot but that's where we always come back to the forgiveness. Always seem like they would stay in play. I'm fighting a bit of a slice with the hybrids right now.

But the main thing is I hit probably about 80 balls over the last two range sessions focusing solely on the GW. The first time I went out this week I hit about half full shots and half, 3/4 shots. I was getting pretty frustrated to be honest. I couldn't seem to get the 70-80 shot I was looking for. Every shot whether I choked down or not went the same. Not what I had envisioned.

Well last night, I got a small bucket and went to work. Something just clicked and I was going after flags at 71 and 79 yards out. I found if I choked down and took a little shorter swing, it worked out well. I was a little long on the shorter flag but right on at the 79 yard flag. this is perfect as there are times where I'd rather run the shot up than take a full 56* wedge. Especially since this shot was a lot straighter and a little easier to control for me. I was really happy and Ill continue to work this shot into my bag. What a versatile weapon this GW is turning out to be.

Great to read that these clubs are just getting better and better for you, I pretty much feel the same way. Adams has a real winner here.

Good way to get some versatility out of that GW, Yoccos! Do you have any intention of replacing it with an aftermarket wedge right now?

Saw these in person for the first time the other day. Really liked what I saw. They look like you can hit the ball a mile with them. Even for an OS iron I didn't think they looked too bulky.

I have been thinking of putting a low loft A12OS hybrid in my bag as a 5w alternative. I just loved how forgiving that club was.

Saw these in person for the first time the other day. Really liked what I saw. They look like you can hit the ball a mile with them. Even for an OS iron I didn't think they looked too bulky.

The irons are really sharp looking, especially the cavity. The hybrids are a little different looking with the compression channel, but they really hit the ball nicely.

The irons are really sharp looking, especially the cavity. The hybrids are a little different looking with the compression channel, but they really hit the ball nicely.

I thought the velocity slot was different looking, but like with the 3w this past year, I got over it quickly. The irons sure looked good to me. Even those in the hybrid-iron part of the set. I used to find them very awkward looking, but these were ok to me.

Great to read that these clubs are just getting better and better for you, I pretty much feel the same way. Adams has a real winner here.

They sure do! Persistence and practice is still necessary even with the SGI. A point I think a lot of people overlook and just assume these can't make you better.

Good way to get some versatility out of that GW, Yoccos! Do you have any intention of replacing it with an aftermarket wedge right now?

Good question Hawk! For awhile I really was. But as I'm learning to hit various shots I'm finding the club to be very versatile. Maybe not as versatile as my 50* JAWS wedge but certainly more forgiving where it counts. It's making me a better wedge player I think. I really want to be able to use just 1 wedge for everything right not but I'm having a hard time. So I've found a good compromise. 105-70yard shots will be my GW and 70 below will be my 56*. Around the green it will just depend on how much green (I cant stop the Adams like I can my 56*) and if I need to go under everything. Next will be sticking to the plan.

They really don't on their own Deano. I could've sworn these were no bigger than the Razr X until I put them side by side.

I have been thinking of putting a low loft A12OS hybrid in my bag as a 5w alternative. I just loved how forgiving that club was.

That would be a great little test for you.

I have to say it here, my first opinion was "Bulky", "Fat", but done in a good looking package, if that makes any sense. These were the first GI, or OS iron's I had ever really looked at in person let along swing. Until now I've always had very small, thin players clubs and thought I did pretty well with them, boy was this an eye opener. The first real surprise to me was being able to pick these off a tight lie.

The score's started coming down with these from day one and I think its safe to say my next set of iron's will fall much closer to these than blades.

I have to say it here, my first opinion was "Bulky", "Fat", but done in a good looking package, if that makes any sense. These were the first GI, or OS iron's I had ever really looked at in person let along swing. Until now I've always had very small, thin players clubs and thought I did pretty well with them, boy was this an eye opener. The first real surprise to me was being able to pick these off a tight lie.

The score's started coming down with these from day one and I think its safe to say my next set of iron's will fall much closer to these than blades.

That's really interesting to hear Due. I know you loved your previous set of irons. Score conquers all huh?

Due - that's always something I worry about when trying an iron like this. How can I hit them off of a tight lie? From reading posts throughout this thread it sounds like thats a non-issue.

That's really interesting to hear Due. I know you loved your previous set of irons. Score conquers all huh?

Due - that's always something I worry about when trying an iron like this. How can I hit them off of a tight lie? From reading posts throughout this thread it sounds like thats a non-issue.

Yep, I had Lynx irons prior to my Nickents and thought they were they cats meow. Actually went out of my way to look down at the OS lines, lol. We live and learn and I can't speak for anyone else on tight lies, but these work just as well as far as contact for me. Off a standard lie I'm still seeing 1 1/2 club added distance with a tighter dispersion. A good friend told me last week he's considering a set, tired of me taking his money and thinks it might be cheaper, lol.

I played today and did hit some good shots with the Adams clubs, as a matter of fact all of my good shots were hit with my Adams clubs or the 56* sand wedge. Horrible with the driver and 3 wood. Very good with the putter, 30 putts. Shot an 83 on a course I had never played before so pretty good for not being able to hit anything longer than the 5H with any consistency.

Hybrids - could not for the life of me hit the 3H or 4H very well today, maybe one shot with each, but still better than the driver and 3W. The 5H & 6H very pretty good as they are the only hybrids I hit any greens from a distance with. omikey hit the 6H a couple of times and he had very positive comments about it. He did hit it well and commented that it is a club he may consider adding to his bag. I have something funky going on with the swing on longer shots and need to get to work on that, but the Adams hybrids are still playable even when the swing is off.

Hybrid/irons - The 7 & 8 were used quite a bit today and were spot on on the par 3's that I used them on, probably had the best overall day with these as there were no real stinkers hit with these clubs.

Irons - I hit some really good shots with each of these today and should have had more than the one birdie I carded, silly lipouts and sliding by putts. However, a couple of times I did come up short on approach shots and once I bladed a chip when I flipped the club instead of keeping the firm leading wrist. Not the clubs fault, but I did have more sloppy shots with these than the hybrid/iron clubs.

Overall - still loving the set and I plan to keep the entire set in the bag when I complete the testing, they are fun to hit and they just flat out work.

I managed to hit the A12 and the A12OS in the simulator at GG today. Just happened to have a spare 15 minutes so I popped in.

I really like em both. Can't tell much hitting in the sim. Can tell the A12OS may be slightly more forgiving. If that's the case and the ball flight works for me the way it is working for everyone else these may be in my bag. Love the spring off the face. Pure quality hybrid like most Adams I have hit in the past.

I currently have a gap in my bag from my 7I to my 7W ... that spread goes from 145-150 for the 7I to 170 for the 7W ... that's a BIG HOLE .... however on my home course and the tees I play I can make it work .....

Today we played Gordon Lakes over at Ft. Gordon in Augusta GA .... and we played the first 9 from the whites which is BACK one set of tees from my normal game. SOOOOOOOOOO that meant I had some strange distances in my game today and no club for it .....

NOT TO FRET, DawgDaddy was there and let me hit the Adams A12 OS. I played that 6 hybrid like a:guitar::golf2: OK so how was it ... first the results ....

The first time I had about 160 uphill to the pin, I came over the top just a bit (normal for me) and got it drawing just a bit and put it in the leftside bunker pin high, I was HAPPY (mostly)

The second time I had about 158-164 (I CRS) and this time I left it just a WEEEEE BIT open. I put it on the green about pin high but off to the right side from the pin (I didn't put well from there that time but that's a different story).

OK, so what did I think about that club..... I LIKE IT !!! A LOT !!! I liked the way it setup behind the ball. Very nice clean looking club. I shoulda hit it more often today but I got distracted with my game :D I think with some more practice with it I could get a lil higher trajectory with it, but it was fine today.

I liked the swing weight, not to heavy. I could tell from my practice swing that it was gonna clicky that ball, and it did. Both of those shots could have been far off the green with a less forgiving club. Or worse, for me, trying to hit a traditional 6I from there, I'm sure I would have rolled some sod, used to happen all the time, that's why there's no 6, 5, 4, 3 in my bag :D

I could easily envision having an A12 OS 6 and 5 hybrids in my bag. I don't think that I'd go longer than that as I'm still partial to having FW woods in the bag. I carry a lot of woods and would have to find something to give up. Right now I have one empty slot open as I only carry 13 clubs, so putting that A12 OS 6 hybrid in there is LOOKING VERY APPEALING right now !

I didn't hit that 5, but next time I will. I'm thinking that the A12 5 hybrid MAYBE could replace my 7 FW ...... uh huh, uh huh.

Thanks for lettin me hit em DD !! YOU DA MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 6 hybrid is by far my favorite in the set Omikey. I think you would really love it. My 7 wood isn't going anywhere though. I would compare it more to a 3 hybrid than a 5 but that's for my game.

The 6 hybrid is by far my favorite in the set Omikey. I think you would really love it. My 7 wood isn't going anywhere though. I would compare it more to a 3 hybrid than a 5 but that's for my game.

I'm looking forward to another chance to get my hands on the 6H for SURE !! I can see how it could easily become a favorite, OH YEAH !

I was thinking, for my game ... since I hit that A12 6 hybrid 160, that the 5 should do 170..... I play my 7w from 170-180. I'm not sure that I could hit the 5 hybrid 180. I'd have to see that several times before I'd be willing to give up that 7W .............

We'll see, won't we :)

If you do decide to get one Mike get in touch with Blind9Golf at the top of the page, talk to Patty or Dennis and they will set you up with a new one and save you a little money to boot. Good THPers and good folks, you won't be sorry I can assure you.

I have yet to find anyone who doesn't like hitting these clubs. I've already been warned by the guy who painted my house that he wants my 4Hybrid!

These are just great clubs, one of the guys I play with about once or twice a month just bought at set after hitting my test set several times during a round a few weeks back. I didn't even know he was going to do it, but I ran into at the course on Saturday and he said...Look what I got! He bought the exact set as mine and he loves them.

I'm sorry guys, 1,640+ posts means that I am not going to search the thread for the answer. How is the turf interaction with these clubs?

Turf interaction is pretty consistent for me. I usually only take a small divot, no digging at all with these. Our course has a lot of hard pan so I will usually just see a bunch of dust kick up there. LOL I've been hitting them pretty good off our hard pan. I tried to get some pics from videos. All I have is hard pan shots.

turfinteraction-1.jpg

I am kinda like KB, don't take a large divot but I do take one. Here is a pic from yesterday that was taken a little late in the follow through, but it was a pretty good shot off of this lie with a hybrid. I have not been having a ton of trouble from these lies.

Spoiler
IMG_8536.jpg

. I have not been having a ton of trouble from these lies.

Spoiler
IMG_8536.jpg

I would also have problems with that lie. I usually try to plan on grass.:alien:

Back