Why must people exaggerate how far they hit the ball

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started reading this on my way home from a pretty good day on the course and wanted to see exactly how long I am with my 6i. I stopped by Edwin Watts near my house and took 5 swings with the 6i.
  • Ball speed - 127.4 (average of 5 swings) hit 131 twice
  • Launch Angle - 14.6 (average of 5 swings) 14.8* twice
  • Back spin - 3890.2 (average of 5 swings) low was 2860 and high was 5574
  • Carry - 196.2 ( average of five swings) long 212 and short 181 (off the toe)
  • Total Distance - 207.6 (avergae of five swings) 226 was the longest and 193 the shortest
No wind, indoor perfect conditions just after a round of golf. I would say on the course I could honestly knock of 10%. None of the swings were hard out of my shoes swings. Nice solid strikes except for the toe jam I had on my first swing. My man chuck was there watching on every swing. Is this normal, pretty much and don't consider myself to be better than the average pro. I, like so many others on THP, under the swing and how to maximize the tools we carry in the bag.

I can hit the ball pretty far.... far in to the woods, far in to the water, ect....

To me, it doesn't matter how far you can hit an iron if you make a double par on the hole...

I would kill to have these numbers, very nice Tadashi. I am working on my distance slowly. Like I said above, I can hit it a good ways but not accurately, and am looking to add 15 yards over the next month or so. I swing completely in my upper body, and am working on some things to put my core to work. Tried a new swing model out the other day and saw a 20 yard increase on both wedges with no sacrifice in accuracy, so I am on to something, methinks.
I started reading this on my way home from a pretty good day on the course and wanted to see exactly how long I am with my 6i. I stopped by Edwin Watts near my house and took 5 swings with the 6i.
  • Ball speed - 127.4 (average of 5 swings) hit 131 twice
  • Launch Angle - 14.6 (average of 5 swings) 14.8* twice
  • Back spin - 3890.2 (average of 5 swings) low was 2860 and high was 5574
  • Carry - 196.2 ( average of five swings) long 212 and short 181 (off the toe)
  • Total Distance - 207.6 (avergae of five swings) 226 was the longest and 193 the shortest
No wind, indoor perfect conditions just after a round of golf. I would say on the course I could honestly knock of 10%. None of the swings were hard out of my shoes swings. Nice solid strikes except for the toe jam I had on my first swing. My man chuck was there watching on every swing. Is this normal, pretty much and don't consider myself to be better than the average pro. I, like so many others on THP, under the swing and how to maximize the tools we carry in the bag.

I can hit the ball pretty far.... far in to the woods, far in to the water, ect....

To me, it doesn't matter how far you can hit an iron if you make a double par on the hole...

Well said Craig!

2Shoes

I guess that means that if you were hitting up this way then you would be in Alexandria LA and if I was hitting your direction I would be in San Angelo. I guess I should hit towards Tyler and you San Antonio, that way we can meet in the Austin area. Sometime around March? :D

While I consider myself a short to average distance guy (7 iron around 155), I know that 200 with a 6 iron is possible because I have personally witnessed it by another junior amateur my age. He hit a 6 iron from 200 yds over a pond onto a green. Did it stop on a dime? No, but it did fairly quickly because of the slope of the green was severe. Still, this is not a mythical achievement, and I think that it absolutely could be done. I don't think anyone on the forum is blatantly lying about how much they hit the ball just to make themselves seem more impressive or make a company feel good about their product. I don't see any of the "********" that the OP is talking about.

And that is what I have to say.

BDG OUT!

What is it about men and their desire to appear slightly longer than average?

I used to play regularly with a guy who would come back into the clubhouse and never talk about his score, just about which club he hit at which hole. Mentalist.

I don't know why people do. If they want to it's their perogative. I've always said I'd take 250 yds hitting 2 in the middle as opposed to 300yds one or two fairways over or 3 from the tee.

Alex

Se people can pure a ball more/more often. I'm not going to talk about my distances seeing as it doesn't matter. But I know some people who can crush the ball but still shoot high numbers. I'd rather be the low guy with less distance than the high guy with the most distance.

I can probably hit a 6-iron over 200 yards if I go at it twice.

Honestly I don't see a 200 yard 6 iron being too out of reach for anyone.

A little yoga and hand eye training can go a long way.

Honestly I don't see a 200 yard 6 iron being too out of reach for anyone.

A little yoga and hand eye training can go a long way.

dont forget arm workouts

Haha shake weight ftw.

I'm seriously the weakest person I know. Strength is way overrated.

Not exactly true. The right strength can add yards- same with the right work outs. Stretching always can help as well

I'd rather hit a 6i a little short, then chip it close. A guy needs to know his strengths.

Kevin

Of course it can. But IMO, strength is overrated simply based on experience.

Is that the experience of us both managing around 135 with a well struck 3-iron at the old course?

It is. I would bet money I could whup a lot of tour pros in an arm wrestling competition, but you won't see me outdrive them very often.

It is. I would bet money I could whup a lot of tour pros in an arm wrestling competition, but you won't see me outdrive them very often.

You need to be behind the wheel of the right car.

Kevin

I was once told "weight lifting(or heavy lifting) is a useless skill" and I completely agree but working out sure does feel nice. I haven't golfed while being in the gym at the same time- i stopped lifting die to injury an laziness but just got back in two weeks ago man i missed the feeling but I can't wait to see the results.

I have just been reading some threads on different iron sets, ready for my fitting tomorrow.

The help and advice is really helpful. But the amount of people who lie about how far the hit the ball is really irritating. I play off 13 and hit my 7 iron about 155, I'm am no where near the longest at my club but still well above average. We have 2 plus 3 golfers and I can tell you that they don't carry a 6 iron 200 yards.

So less of the ******** would be great

I get whooped by old guys who can't it over 200 and I play around 10 hdcp. Distance, while helpful, doesn't = low scores.

I have genuine distance gains with my Redline irons (lighter shaft, , reg flex as opposed to stiff, bigger sweet spot, proper fit) and I have no reason to lie. I actually have every reason NOT to lie for the reasons you describe. I also picked up consistent distance with my new driver.

Since you are going in for a fitting you'll see how far you hit everything and that should be enough for you. If I gauged my distances off others I'm not sure I would be helping myself. Hope it goes well and you find what works.

I understand what Sluggste my be thinking. Trackman has a chart for PGA Tour averages. The pros only average 183-185 yards for a 6 iron. It just makes you think a little.

I tried to copy and paste the entire chart but it did not work.

PGA Tour averages

Ball Speed (mph)Carry (yds)Total (yds)
Driver165269294
3-w158243260
5-w152230242
Hybrid146225237
3Iron142212220
4Iron137203209
5Iron132194198
6Iron127183185
7Iron120172177
8Iron115160162
9Iron109148149
PW102136137

yeah but chances are 99% of those guys could hit their 6 iron 200 yards if they really went after if but prefer playing it shorter to get more accuracy and feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back