Why must people exaggerate how far they hit the ball

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is. I would bet money I could whup a lot of tour pros in an arm wrestling competition, but you won't see me outdrive them very often.
Have you seen the forearms on some of those guys? I'm thinking a lot of them can arm wrestle pretty well!

Haha. On the way out we were hitting 235 7 irons. Ahh the wonders of a two track golf course.

Ah, a driver/7 iron par 5 is usually good for the ego. There was also a 330 yard 5 wood in there too. Shame the wind brought our averages right back to normal on the back 9, or we'd totally be killing this thread.

Have you seen the forearms on some of those guys? I'm thinking a lot of them can arm wrestle pretty well!
Lol, true. I thought about that after I posted, but then again, thanks to my forearm workouts, mine are pretty massive. I also gained 60 yards.

Thanks to everyone for there thoughts.

1. TC I was not trying to offend you, you have replied to both of my previous posts with some helpful comments. I wasn't suggesting everyone's a liar, the word liar was probably poorly used! But there are quite a few posts that simply are exagerating there distances, and my point is I don't see how this is helpful to anyone.(including themselves)

2. I don't doubt that lots of people can't hit a 6 iron 200 yards. This can easily be done by delofting the club face, but this is not a true representation of a controlled swing which is what we are surely looking for when we swing??

3. posted about having 195 to a pin, hitting a 6 iron and it going over the green. I would love to be called out!!! I had my brother there with me, who is a forum member. So, why would I lie? Please tell me your talking about me... As for this??? Seriously

Thanks again for the comments

The three biggest lies a man tells are , how big the fish he caught is , how far he hits the ball and how big his instrument is .

It's human nature for some, many have to out do one another.

Lol, as new as you are, I am sure you don't know this, but that forum members brother referred to in point 3 happens to be TC.
Thanks to everyone for there thoughts. 1. TC I was not trying to offend you, you have replied to both of my previous posts with some helpful comments. I wasn't suggesting everyone's a liar, the word liar was probably poorly used! But there are quite a few posts that simply are exagerating there distances, and my point is I don't see how this is helpful to anyone.(including themselves) 2. I don't doubt that lots of people can't hit a 6 iron 200 yards. This can easily be done by delofting the club face, but this is not a true representation of a controlled swing which is what we are surely looking for when we swing??3. posted about having 195 to a pin, hitting a 6 iron and it going over the green. I would love to be called out!!! I had my brother there with me, who is a forum member. So, why would I lie? Please tell me your talking about me... As for this??? SeriouslyThanks again for the comments

Lol, as new as you are, I am sure you don't know this, but that forum members brother referred to in point 3 happens to be TC.

It's not the claim about how far he hit it, its the call me out bit, he needs to have a serious word with himself.

Slugster, I agree with you,while I don't doubt there are posters on here who do hit it that far,the majority of club golfers don't,I've played with 300 yard drivers of the ball and 190 6 irons till I get my gps out and it's 220 and 160 respectivley.Mind you the yardage markers at most clubs in the UK are notoriously wrong.

It's not the claim about how far he hit it, its the call me out bit, he needs to have a serious word with himself.
Wow. Sluggster, are you as angry in real life as you are here? When you join a forum and come in guns blazing, I'm not thinking that it's One-T who needs to have a serious word with himself.

Thanks shewythemuss,

Not trying to upset people, it's just a bit sad that's all.

One of my regular partners has just been fitted by computer, not sure which programme. Told with his new clubs he carries his 6 iron 180 , I play week in week out and we hit near as dammit the same distance??

Wow. Sluggster, are you as angry in real life as you are here? When you join a forum and come in guns blazing, I'm not thinking that it's One-T who needs to have a serious word with himself.

How is saying he needs to have a serious word with himself, me being angry?

How is saying he needs to have a serious word with himself, me being angry?
It's all of your posts, at least in this thread that are painting a real bad picture of you. It's not exactly the way to get a good reputation.

Someone said something about "those guys stretching out a 6 to 205". You know what? My coach and I have had this discussion. He even told me.. "you know..you can hit a 6 iron 200 yards... but then what is your 5 or 4 for?". Hitting the ball doesn't necessarilly reflect on swing and /or ball speed but it's the crispness of the strike and hitting the sweetspot. My coach wants me to tone down things... as in 5 iron around 185-90....6 iron 175-80 and so on. He said if I need it...it's there. It's all about control.. when you try to stretch distance with club due to ego or something like that you'll tend to lose control.

Alex

It's all of your posts, at least in this thread that are painting a real bad picture of you. It's not exactly the way to get a good reputation.

Hold on, I suggested that people exaggerate how far they hit the ball and that's it not really very helpful when it comes to club testing. How is that all guns blazing, or painting a bad picture of myself!

This thread has taken enough turns already. If people cannot be civil, we will lock it up. While some may have struggled with other forums in the past and things such as this, THP is not really the same. Lets all take a deep breath and move on!!!!

Hold on, I suggested that people exaggerate how far they hit the ball and that's it not really very helpful when it comes to club testing. How is that all guns blazing, or painting a bad picture of myself!

Edit: never mind.

Aaaaaaand I'm outta this thread. This is going places that I don't like.

Aaaaaaand I'm outta this thread. This is going places that I don't like.

X2. I don't like it when threads get too out of hand, which is where this one could be headed.....

I know I've hit my driver 300* yards
Spoiler
*of course it was slightly downhill with a 60 km/h wind behind me. still counts right? :D

Thanks again for the comments, not my intention to cause problems on this forum.

As a last note, best forum I have been on for advice and support

I think the general concept of a 200 yard 6 iron has several possibilities some of which have already been mentioned.

1) long/smooth/great striker of the ball that can actually do this
2) delofting the club by 5 degrees or more essentially turning a 6 iron into a 4 or 5 iron
3) stronger lofts. My 5 iron loft wise is the same as many GI 6 irons
4) exaggeraters

My uncle is a major delofter and can put his 3 iron out there with my 3 wood. I think this causes problems in the short end of the bag as sometimes he can't play a full wedge shot from inside 100 yards.

I will stick to my 160-165 6 iron!

Tappin' from my iPad!

Im not a long hitter at all (driver average around 250 or so) and we have a par 3 that is 200 yards that I have put a 6 iron on the green a couple times. Those were perfectly hit and everything I had in the tank which I hardly do. My normal 6 iron is around 180-185. Point is with todays technology I dont see why this is such a stretch. Sure some people exagerate but honestly I think people have a very hard time telling actual distance from "what it looked like distance lol". I know sometimes I will hit a ball and it looks like it went a lot farther than it actually did.

I hit my 7 iron 170-175 i hope i dont get beat up or somthing because someone thinks im lieing :(

BUT for the record yes i have hit my 6 iron 200 yards before clean shot, light wind thing flew right on the green:)

I regularly hit my driver 350-360, this tends to be at the last day of the open and for in some strange coincidence I tend to be sleeping! How strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back