Official College Football Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care for option football. Really boring. How about finding a QB and running a real offense.

Kevin

Miles and my team really let me down last night. Just embarrassing all the way 'round.

Congrats to Bama. They beat us like a red headed stepchild...

I don't care for option football. Really boring. How about finding a QB and running a real offense.

Kevin

You know its funny, lee played very well this year. I honestly thought they would play both QB's, especially coming out of halftime

--
tapatalk

You know its funny, lee played very well this year. I honestly thought they would play both QB's, especially coming out of halftime

--
tapatalk

This was probably the biggest surprise to me. I thought early in the year Lee played pretty good. I understand Jefferson gives you the threat of a dual headed attack, but that wasn't working. I really thought they'd at least give Lee a chance, guess that's why I'm not a FB coach :D

TC I agree completely, no rep to give. Maybe I watch football through Crimson colored glasses, but I'm a fan damnit. As a football fan I sat through the Orange Bowl in person and was bored out of my freaking mind, there wasn't anything about that game that held my attention. It was over early and half the stadium vacated as a result. The Rose and Fiesta were good bowls that had the scoring, but they were competitive. I think people equate high scores with competitive games when truth be told for 7 quarters I thought the LSU-Bama games were ultra-competitive, hell one play could have swung momentum in either direction.

For that Bama defense to come out last night and build a fence at the 50 yard line was amazing. LSU's offense isn't a slouch, scoring 38.5 ppg on average and they got shutout when it mattered most (8 quarters, 9 points), why the hell do people think that Stanford or OSU would've fared differently. Stanford isn't a juggernaut, and OSU is a one trick pony. Sure we'll never know what would've happened, but for some folks we already know the result would have been similar. LSU held Richardson in check somewhat, but you think either Stanford or OSU could've done that? If you do I've got some property in Arizona you might be interested in.

Seeing Hightower and Upshaw bring it like nobody else was a freaking tutorial on how to play linebacker and I would be pleased to have them wearing stars nest year.

I am not going to pretend to know whether Stanford or OSU would have fared any better. But there is absolutely no comparison between Jeffries and Luck/Weeden. There is no way they would have been as inept... period. Do they beat Bama? Probably not, but the surely score and get more than 92 yards. I think Alabama is the best team and they played great, but Jeffries made terrible decisions all night, and looked like a whiner. Did Bama's D have something to do with that? Sure. But he couldn't hit open receivers from 5 yards. And the game plan put in place by LSU was so bad.

LSU looked like a team that spent too much time in the French Quarter instead of practicing. And really it was the offense because the defense wasnt all that bad. And the offense was led by Jeffries. He stunk. This game was like deja vu from earlier in the year. Same thing.

I agree that LSU's offensive effort was terrible. While you have to give a lot of credit to Bama's front 7, Jefferson appeared totally out of sync no matter what they were trying to run.

The only prediction I had for this game was that LSU would not be able to run the option as effectively as they did in the first game. I know Alabama would work on that starting with their very first bowl practice. But Jefferson made it too easy for them. When the linebacker wouldn't commit to the QB, he needs to just keep the ball and run inside. I don't know how many times he just pitched the ball when he wasn't even under pressure. He also had some opportunities in the passing game, but he wasn't able to avoid the rush (which, allegedly, is why they wouldn't bring in Lee).

The game did get boring, because it was essentially a blowout. LSU never even threatened. As much as I love watching defensive football, LSU's pathetic offensive effort made the game boring. But I still think Bama would have destroyed anyone else last night, and scored a lot more points doing it.

Oklahoma St on line 3.....

LSU laid a giant offensive turd last night for sure which can't be done against a D like 'bama's. My lead legal counsel is a LSU grad who went to the game last night. I'm sure my meeting with him tomorrow is going to be sunshine and puppy dogs

The way I see it is Alabama fans loved this game and the rest of America hated it. With the exception of those that like boring football. I will say this Alabama is a nasty team. They brought it last night and they won the game. I dont think any other team in the nation stands a chance against Bama but LSU not so much. Specially if they play that turd of a QB Jeffries. He was awful.

Miles was never going to go to Lee unless Jefferson left the game injured. Maybe he feels that to change QB's would be admitting he made a mistake? I don't know, all I can tell you is I have watched him coach for many years and he sticks with who he starts no matter what.

Jefferson looked like a deer in the headlights out there from play #1. If his first read wasn't open, he tucked the ball and ran.
What a way to end your college career.....that's all anyone around here will remember him for. Choking in the big game vs. Bama with everything on the line.

Granted, I'm not impartial, but a couple of thoughts about the game last night and things in general.

1) To me, one of the biggest differences between the first game and last night was that Bama had 44 days to prepare with the knowledge that Jefferson was going to be the QB...and it showed. Game 1, Lee had been the starter all year, and Jefferson wasn't going to play until Lee started horribly. Because SEC teams don't see too much option, Jefferson coming in with the weapons he brings was a big difference. However, knowing what they were going to see this time, the planning could be much different, and they were obviously prepared.
2) I do not understand what the hell happened to LSU last night. If this had been a regular bowl game, I could understand if some of the players seemed disinterested (happened to Bama in the 08 Sugar Bowl)...but how in the world does a team come out looking that disinterested and frankly clueless in the National Championship game which is essentially a home game against a team that fought them hard just two months ago? That LSU team looked completely disinterested by the start of the second half when the score was 9-0. That to me is inexplicable and a lot of that blame goes to Miles.
3) Now, I want to see a Plus 1 or similar system get implemented as much as anyone, but for those fans outside of SEC land, keep in mind that the SEC (along with the ACC) was the main driver of this idea during the last discussions. If memory serves, three of the past four years, the SEC had two of the top four teams in the rankings prior to the bowl selections (Bama/Florida - 2008 and 2009, Bama/LSU - 2011). While those teams would have had to win semi-final games, you might have very well seen three all-SEC championship games in the past four years. So while an Oklahoma St and Oregon/Stanford would have had the ability to play the games this year, the new system may only solidify the SEC's reign.
4) I acknowledge that last night was a tough game for probably 40 states to enjoy, but given Bama/Texas 2009, Auburn/Oregon 2010, LSU/Oregon 2011, LSU/WVU 2011 just in the past couple of years, I don't understand the sentiment that the best statistical offenses would win agains the best defences. I do understand fans outside the south wanting a different game, but I don't see where the end result would have been different.

Anyway, not trying to convince anyone to agree with me, but wanted to get my thoughts out there.

Miles was never going to go to Lee unless Jefferson left the game injured. Maybe he feels that to change QB's would be admitting he made a mistake? I don't know, all I can tell you is I have watched him coach for many years and he sticks with who he starts no matter what.

Jefferson looked like a deer in the headlights out there from play #1. If his first read wasn't open, he tucked the ball and ran.
What a way to end your college career.....that's all anyone around here will remember him for. Choking in the big game vs. Bama with everything on the line.
Unless he starts Lee, and he throws interceptions. Then he doesnt stick with who he starts, no matter what. Then he sits Lee and plays Jefferson like he did in the first LSU/Bama game.

Reactions: SW
To all those calling it boring football: It was boring TO YOU. Don't speak for the rest of the population. After many bowl games where the last one to score wins the shootout, it was refreshing to see some hitting going on and some tough defense.

Your WV team with a high powered offense (70 points on Clemson) was beaten by LSU. Oregon, your PAC 12 / rose bowl champs were beaten by LSU.

I can enjoy watching the Oregons and OKSTs light up the scoreboard, but defense is exciting to some of us.

TC's post was great. Right on brother!

Lastly, congrats to LSU on a great season. You beat the PAC 12 Champ, the Big East Champ, and Alabama. Great, great season LSU.

To all those calling it boring football: It was boring TO YOU. Don't speak for the rest of the population. After many bowl games where the last one to score wins the shootout, it was refreshing to see some hitting going on and some tough defense.

Your WV team with a high powered offense (70 points on Clemson) was beaten by LSU. Oregon, your PAC 12 / rose bowl champs were beaten by LSU.

I can enjoy watching the Oregons and OKSTs light up the scoreboard, but defense is exciting to some of us.

TC's post was great. Right on brother!

Lastly, congrats to LSU on a great season. You beat the PAC 12 Champ, the Big East Champ, and Alabama. Great, great season LSU.

I think most people are calling it a boring game... not boring football. I like D, but it is very hard for anyone to argue that LSU didn't lay an egg last night. Alabama's D is one of the best I have seen in the last few years, but LSU didn't show up and there was no drama in that game whatsoever. Most people who aren't affiliated with either school or even conference would like to see a game where there is some drama and both teams put up a fight. Last night, that did not happen!

OEM, I greatly value your opinions, but there is absolutely no way that any other team in the country could hang with those two for a second. There are NFL teams that I would have to think about betting against with those two. Did LSU play great last night? No, but playing the way they did last night I would take them over 95% of the country. LSU and Alabama are just not playing the same ballgame as everyone else is, boring or not.

OEM, I greatly value your opinions, but there is absolutely no way that any other team in the country could hang with those two for a second. There are NFL teams that I would have to think about betting against with those two. Did LSU play great last night? No, but playing the way they did last night I would take them over 95% of the country. LSU and Alabama are just not playing the same ballgame as everyone else is, boring or not.

Take off the crimson tinted glasses and you will see what he is talking about.

Dude, I appreciate your support of the SEC, but even the lowly Colts would destroy both of those teams. The difference between college football and the NFL is night and day.

Kevin

Take off the crimson tinted glasses and you will see what he is talking about.
Lol, that's funny. Oddly, I have an Auburn fan sitting next to me and he agrees, and I can assure you, his glasses are quite clear.

Dude, I appreciate your support of the SEC, but even the lowly Colts would destroy both of those teams. The difference between college football and the NFL is night and day.

Kevin
That was slight hyperbole on my part.

C'mon man! No college team could hang with any NFL team. Is this really how SEC fans feel? That your teams are so good that other college teams aren't even a challenge, so the NFL is next? Just rediculous.

See above, that was an intentional exaggeration. I thought that would be obvious. I am not that stupid.
C'mon man! No college team could hang with any NFL team. Is this really how SEC fans feel? That your teams are so good that other college teams aren't even a challenge, so the NFL is next? Just rediculous.

Lol, that's funny. Oddly, I have an Auburn fan sitting next to me and he agrees, and I can assure you, his glasses are quite clear.

There must be something in the water then. Any team with a qb that can hit an open receiver would have fared better than LSU.

Funny, something tells me that against any other team Bama would have scored a lot more than 21 points...
There must be something in the water then. Any team with a qb that can hit an open receiver would have fared better than LSU.

You have to give credit where credit was due, and that is to the Bama defense. Give a great defense that much time to prepare, and that is the game you get. I don't mind a good defensive game. I have to admit by half time though, I was thinking, this is really the two best teams in the nation...really??? It was the best defense in the nation versus an LSU team that decided to just not show up. It was pretty anti-climatic end to the college football season if you ask me. I'm holding out hope that the NCAA decides to go to a playoff system somewhere down the road to make these games more interesting. We may have still ended up with these two teams, but at least there wouldn't be a 44 days from the time we last saw a team play. That would also give time to people grow interested in a team they have no vested interest in by seeing them 2 or 3 games in a playoff format. Neither of those teams last night mean anything to me, and I had not seen them in over a month.

Let me be clear about one thing, Alabama won, and they are the national champions and I think they probably would be no matter what the format. They earned it, and deserve it. I just don't think the game ended up being a very interesting one to watch for people outside of Alabama. :)

Ironically, about 80% of that Bama defense will be starting in the NFL next season.

Last night it was between watching the BCS National Championship Game or the Weather Channel and I figured tornados sounded cooler than watching 2 teams get 2.3 yards a play on offense and engage in a FG battle. And appartently I was not the only one. BCS game drew a 13.8 rating which equaled the ratings of game 6 of last years world series game. Impressive? Not hardly, it was the 2nd lowest ever for a BCS title game. Someone asked earlier if those that said they weren't gonna watch last night ended up watching......I think you have your answer. People don't like to watch reruns.

Yep, I'm a Big 12 homer and I would of loved to have watched OSU or Stanford have a crack at either team but that's how college football go. Sorry that the SEC'ers are getting their feeling hurts because of the negative things that were said about the game last night. Doesn't mean we don't know our football, just means we just might not like watching the "overall" product that was on display last night. Different strokes for different folks. Not gonna take away from Bama's D. They are good. They deserve the title. They were also very good in 2010 National Championship game when a 2nd string freshman QB who no longer plays football scored 21 points on that vaulted D to bring the score to 21-24 in the middle of the 4th quarter.

People wanted to see something else......and it showed.

I agree with pretty much all of this. I want a playoff just like every (sane) person. It is the way to go, but I think we would have had the same two teams playing regardless.
You have to give credit where credit was due, and that is to the Bama defense. Give a great defense that much time to prepare, and that is the game you get. I don't mind a good defensive game. I have to admit by half time though, I was thinking, this is really the two best teams in the nation...really??? It was the best defense in the nation versus an LSU team that decided to just not show up. It was pretty anti-climatic end to the college football season if you ask me. I'm holding out hope that the NCAA decides to go to a playoff system somewhere down the road to make these games more interesting. We may have still ended up with these two teams, but at least there wouldn't be a 44 days from the time we last saw a team play. That would also give time to people grow interested in a team they have no vested interest in by seeing them 2 or 3 games in a playoff format. Neither of those teams last night mean anything to me, and I had not seen them in over a month.

Let me be clear about one thing, Alabama won, and they are the national champions and I think they probably would be no matter what the format. They earned it, and deserve it. I just don't think the game ended up being a very interesting one to watch for people outside of Alabama. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back