Outlander

Reaction score
Handicap
Last year i had a bad over the top golf swing so i struggled most of the year. I bought the Cleveland Mashie hybrids and they were life saviors! In fact, they were the only clubs that i could rely on to hit the ball relatively straight without a big banana slice.
Well, i decided to take some lessons and now i have a in to out golf swing and all my other clubs have a small draw with the exception of my mashies. Now i have a NASTY hook that goes waaaay left with the mashies. It is so bad that i dont even play them because i fear i may kill someone on the next fairway over or i might kill the birds living in the trees.

So i am in the market for some new hybrids now and i am asking for some suggestions. The choices are endless!

Thanks!

If you love the Mashies and with that shaft in there standard, I totally understand the love, why not inquire about getting the tour version of the club. Still get the Miyazaki C. Kua shaft, however you get a club head that might suit your new swing better.

That is a common problem with the standard Mashie, not so much with the Tour version. Anyways, you will hear lots of "this works great for me, you should try it" but my best advice is 2 things:

1) read through the reviews here
2) go into a store, get on a LM and see what the numbers and the feel of the club says

Here are some reviews:

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?cat=19
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=15440
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=13951 (this is what I play and absolutely love it)
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=13055
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?22065-Titleist-910-Hybrid-Review

I could go on and on with links and sure that others will chime in also. Best of luck in your search!

thanks jb, i did not know they had a tour version. i dont believe those are available at my local golf galaxy but i will double check. Going thru the threads it looks like the Titleist hybrids are getting alot of love also.

thanks jb, i did not know they had a tour version. i dont believe those are available at my local golf galaxy but i will double check

They are not available at retail, however most stores can order it for you.

I used to play the Mashies and loved them. They eventually became hook machines for me too and I sold them after becoming a tester for the Adams a12 OS. The Adams hybrids are FANTASTIC! Just ask all the other guys who tested them here on THP. I recommend you give them a try.

I have hit the a12 and the a12 pros. I really like the forgiveness of the a12 on the long hybrid. I would look at the Rescue 11s since you can open the clubhead if you start to get hook heavy.

I still play my mashies but if I get out of tempo I find I have the tendency to hook the ball. It doesn't seem to occur as much off the tee as it does from the fairway or rough.

Tap before talk.

I used to play the Mashies and loved them. They eventually became hook machines for me too and I sold them after becoming a tester for the Adams a12 OS. The Adams hybrids are FANTASTIC! Just ask all the other guys who tested them here on THP. I recommend you give them a try.

I saw the a12s in the store and the hybrids felt really nice in my hand and they definetely passed the eyeball test. I will tape one up when i get to the launcher this weekend.

They are not available at retail, however most stores can order it for you.

Patty at Blind9 will be happy to fill your order and if you tell her you are with THP she will give you a nice discount :D See their link at the right hand top of the page. They support THP and many of us here have ordered from them.

The Tour mashie is a great option. I had a similar issues, bad over the top swing, then lessons, then hooks with certain clubs, including Mashie m2 and m3. I've got a TM2 (tour mashie 2) now which I love. The C.Kua 83 shaft is heavier and stouter, so it plays a bit more like an iron compared to the regular mashies. Both are awesome clubs, just depends on certain swing tendencies. Check out the Tour mashie for sure. If not, the A12, Rescue 11, or Titleist 910H are good options.

If you are hooking the Mashies Id take a look at your hands during your swing. I struggle with the same over the top swing and have been taking lesson during the winter to fix it. Last year when I thought I was hitting the ball well the Mashie was a hook machine. Now that Ive been taking lessons and working on dropping that right shoulder and elbow? Mashie has been dead straight for me and awesome. So you may not have fixed your swing as much as you thought. But that was my experience your mileage may vary.

The 910H is another hybrid Id look at and along with the Mashie is my favorite hybrid.

Outlander... I think a golfer with your skill level should go back to hitting all irons. Hybrids are going to get you laughed at on that other site anyway.. :)

adams idea tech v3 are great hybrids in my opinion

Outlander... I think a golfer with your skill level should go back to hitting all irons. Hybrids are going to get you laughed at on that other site anyway.. :)

What? I am not sure I agree with going to all irons. Hybrids, especially as long iron replacements have really helped me.

What other site? Are there other golf forums? I haven't bothered to look.

Same problem here with the mashie, I sold my cleveland launcher 2i and 3i to get the mashies but when I tried them at the store I was hitting the most incredibly bad hooks, wish I had kept the launchers(2009 version) which I seemed to hit long and straight almost every time.

David

Showdog you are alive! I am glad you came back to this site, welcome back!
Blugold showdog is a buddy of mine and he was being very sarcastic when he said i should be using irons only because he knows i suck. I think this weekend i will tape up a 910h and the a12os and a12.
I am curious about the new callaway razr hl hybrid that comes out next month. It looks like it is going to retail at 149.

LOL, You know I never left. I'm more of a lurker than a poster. Although, when I see an opportunity to help a brother out, I'm there for ya dog!

UPDATE: So this weekend i went into Edwin Watts to check out the hybrids. I hit the Titleist, Adams a12os and was very impressed. Then i wondered over to the used basket and i saw something that peeked my interest. There was a 4 and 5 callaway Razr XF hybrid in the basket. Hmm, i know that Callaway does not seperately sell those hybrids; u have to buy the whole set which is 1400 dollars. So i went back to the simulator and gave these puppies a spin. WOW am i impressed with these hybrids! The face is HOT and they felt very very buttery. I asked the salesman what was going on and he said they busted up the hybrids and they have already sold the irons. They were asking if i remember corrected 129 a piece for them. My swing speed with the hybrids was between 92-94 and unfortunately they were a regular flex which scared me off. I have been thinking about riding down there to get them but i just really worry about reg flex..

UPDATE: So this weekend i went into Edwin Watts to check out the hybrids. I hit the Titleist, Adams a12os and was very impressed. Then i wondered over to the used basket and i saw something that peeked my interest. There was a 4 and 5 callaway Razr XF hybrid in the basket. Hmm, i know that Callaway does not seperately sell those hybrids; u have to buy the whole set which is 1400 dollars. So i went back to the simulator and gave these puppies a spin. WOW am i impressed with these hybrids! The face is HOT and they felt very very buttery. I asked the salesman what was going on and he said they busted up the hybrids and they have already sold the irons. They were asking if i remember corrected 129 a piece for them. My swing speed with the hybrids was between 92-94 and unfortunately they were a regular flex which scared me off. I have been thinking about riding down there to get them but i just really worry about reg
lex..

If you were that impressed with them you should go get them and hit some live bullets and if you feel the shaft needs to be changed then do it. by the sound of it they were perfect for you. I dont think you will find them for sale without the irons again.

If you fight a hook you don't want to get a reg flex shaft with your SS. Everyone will tell you what they like for a hybrid, including me but you have to decide what feels best for your swing. When you find one you like you really need to see how the club works on different lies and what the ball flight is. This is impossible in a simulator. I also fight a hook but I am going to a senior shaft this year, old age is hell, so I have been checking out all the new hybrids. I ended up with the Adams A12, not the OS, 17* and I really like it so far. I only carry one hybrid as I still play 4-LW with my irons. I have played several rounds with it and it's very easy to hit from about any lie. You should check them out before you decide.

Earl

I am kinda partial to the Adams a12os hybrids right now, these things are flat out fun to hit....I said it during the testing...but I really cant remember the last time I hit a bad shot with one of these hybrids!

The Razr XF's have my attention too....that's where I am leaning for my Morgan Cup clubs, glad to hear that you liked them.

If you were that impressed with them you should go get them and hit some live bullets and if you feel the shaft needs to be changed then do it. by the sound of it they were perfect for you. I dont think you will find them for sale without the irons again.

The only reason i didnt scoop them up is because the razr hl hybrids come out in 4 weeks. im wondering if i bought them and then if i like the razr hl hybrids better then i could sell them and get my money back on ebay?

The only reason i didnt scoop them up is because the razr hl hybrids come out in 4 weeks. im wondering if i bought them and then if i like the razr hl hybrids better then i could sell them and get my money back on ebay?

Good point. wow tough decision hmm i sure if it turned out the hl's were better for you there would be plenty of people who would want the xf hybrid's only. i don't envy you at this point. good luck hope it all works out.

Back