Cleveland CG Black Driver Forum Testing Review Thread

Just received a call that my new Cleveland Black has arrived, I am heading to the pro shop in a few to pick it up and play the initial round with my new driver.:blob:
That's great DD, have fun with the Black. I know that you will do well with it.

Just received a call that my new Cleveland Black has arrived, I am heading to the pro shop in a few to pick it up and play the initial round with my new driver.:blob:

Nice, good luck with it.

I'm sorry for the last few days fella's. In laws in town so computer usage has been an issue. Today will be a day of catching up

That's awesome DD! Look forward to hearing how it works for you.

Tappity tap tap tap

So it was 30* and sunny. Perfect day for golf. It was not windy so I bundled up and was actually fine playing. Tempo was the word of the day. Just had that thought in my head the entire day from tee to green. Only had time to play 9 holes and this is how it went down

1[SUP]st[/SUP] hole—330—Short par 4 that I normally take Mashie off the tee. Today I decided to try and go up and over a set of trees to the left which would cut the hole down by probably 30 yards. Teed the ball up a little high and played it up in my stance to promote a little fade. Nice easy swing and the ball got up and over the trees and faded right back into the fairway. Off to a nice start

2[SUP]nd[/SUP] hole—163—No driver

3[SUP]rd[/SUP] hole—475—Pretty straight short par 5. Take aim up the right side and I’m looking to hit a nice draw to the left side of the fairway. This will give me the best angle if I can go for it in 2. Ball in the normal position and teed normal. Think tempo and swing easy. Ball starts off a little too far right but it does draw back into the fairway. Takes a solid bounce forward as well. Good position to go for it in 2

4[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—356—Can’t hit driver on this hole

5[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—196—Par 3

6[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—355—This hole is an automatic Mashie hole every time. Leaves me with a perfect ¾ PW to the green . Today I decide I’m going to try and go up and over the trees to the left which would put me right up next to the green. Teed up high and forward in the stance. Ball comes off a little high on the face which gets it in the air even more. Clears the trees and fades back into the fairway about 50 yards short of the green. Lost some distance due to hitting it a little higher up on the face.

7[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—491—2 shot par 5 as long as you can ride the dogleg left which should not be a problem for me. Normal tee height and normal stance and think tempo. Nice easy swing and the ball just jumps off the face and takes the left turn really nicely. Hits the ground pretty hot and rolls for days. I had a 5I into this green.

8[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—184—No drive

9[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—396—Pretty straight ahead tee shot with some trees to the right which would block the green. Look to the left and try and hit a somewhat straight/fade shot. Tee it up normal and just a little forward for me. Ball comes off just a touch too left but it does fade to the left edge of the fairway and left me a nice shot to the green.

Man I wish I could have finished this round up. As bundled as I was I was not losing that much distance today. Driver was just on today. Whatever I wanted to do it did. I think the bundling made me not turn quite as much as I usually do(too much) and I was more in control. Hit every fairway, even on some holes that I had no business taking driver. I know it doesn’t matter toward the review, but I did shoot par today and actually should have been better. Duffed a chip so instead of making birdie on a par 5 I made par. Tempo is everything with this driver!

Nice write up Chunky! Glad you got to go out today and brave the elements!

Nice write up Chunky! Glad you got to go out today and brave the elements!

This was actually from a few days ago. Just had no time to post it up yet.

Chunky, you need one of those swing thought bracelets that says "TEMPO" on it. It's a nice reminder to have. I keep mine in my golf bag at all times and flop it on. If Tempo is your key word and you're hitting every fairway then you need to constantly harness that. Do you think that for your approach shots too?

Few questions for the other testers:

1. After using the driver now for a more extended period of time do you feel like the club is too long at 46"? -
2. How is the stock grip holding up and would you keep it or replace it given the opportunity? -
3. Have you noticed your impact groupings on the club face getting tighter or more dispersed? -
4. I would say everyone should be comfortable with the driver by now so compared to your old/current driver and how much distance gain/loss are you seeing? -
5. Again with the comparison to the old/current driver but in regards to accuracy -

Sorry it took so long to get back to you Concept.

1) I do think this club is too long. I don't usually struggle with hitting drivers. Just one part of this crazy game that I am capable of doing well. But I've struggled with consistency of contact with this driver. I think cutting it down would be a good thing for me

2) I don't every think of the grip on this club so I guess it's fine. I do really like the arrows for using to position my hands on the club

3) My groupings have been getting better slightly. Still a little off for me but it has been getting better

4) I'm seeing some definite distance gains. Probably about 10 yards better. I would like to see how the distance would compare in the summer months though. Should be interesting

5) This driver is not as accurate as the 910. I averaged 50% FIR with the 910 and that was with 5 rounds of awfulness. Throwout those 5 rounds and I was closer to 65% FIR. My back was killing me for that stretch of golf. My FIR right now with the Black is at 48%. Not a big difference in terms of 50-48 but as I said I would take away the 5 rounds that I played in back pain that was pretty brutal. I do have a feeling that if I can rein in the need to swing for the fences, I could be pretty deadly with this driver.

Chunky, you need one of those swing thought bracelets that says "TEMPO" on it. It's a nice reminder to have. I keep mine in my golf bag at all times and flop it on. If Tempo is your key word and you're hitting every fairway then you need to constantly harness that. Do you think that for your approach shots too?

I really don't have an issue with approach shots as I almost always throttle down big time on those. I agree that I need a swing thought bracelet. I'm very mental as anyone who has played with me can attest. The driver is the one club in my bag that I have a difficult time keeping tempo. I just have a need to swing for the fences. I think you are dead on with the ST bracelet though and I've been doing some serious ponders

I really don't have an issue with approach shots as I almost always throttle down big time on those. I agree that I need a swing thought bracelet. I'm very mental as anyone who has played with me can attest. The driver is the one club in my bag that I have a difficult time keeping tempo. I just have a need to swing for the fences. I think you are dead on with the ST bracelet though and I've been doing some serious ponders

Sweet! I really like mine buddy. Perhaps it will help you stay focused. It really sounds like everyone is enjoying this driver. It makes me very curious about it. We've said that it might not be ideal for me but I can't help but think that it's forgiving. I wouldn't discount it at all.

I wouldn't either dude. I think as long as your tempo is there, it's a possibility. The forgiveness is definitely there

Guys I'm doing a little something something. Can everyone please answer this question when you get a chance?

what is your normal ball flight with whatever driver you have been using? What is it now with the CG Black?

I played with DawgDaddy today on his maiden journey with the Black Driver. I can tell you he was pipe line straight with this driver the entire front nine and only missed it a couple times on the back. That was when he tried to overcook it and left the smooth tempo in the golf cart. His drives were a beautiful trajectory with really solid distance to boot. I hit his driver a couple of times and even though I missed it on the heel, got really good distance with it. It's funny because my shot is a draw but the two or thee times I hit the black the shots were fades :bulgy-eyes:. I have no doubt DawgDaddy has found his true:in-love: love with the Cleveland Black driver! Beautiful driver with great results :clapp:

Guys I'm doing a little something something. Can everyone please answer this question when you get a chance?

what is your normal ball flight with whatever driver you have been using? What is it now with the CG Black?

My previous trajectory with the Machspeed Black (11.5˚) was high. Like plug in the fairway high on bad days... I've noticed that my trajectory with the black has come down some. Maybe mid-high? Not sure what the definition of mid-height is to be honest... I'll take both with me to the range next time I go and let you know what I see.

I played with DawgDaddy today on his maiden journey with the Black Driver. I can tell you he was pipe line straight with this driver the entire front nine and only missed it a couple times on the back. That was when he tried to overcook it and left the smooth tempo in the golf cart. His drives were a beautiful trajectory with really solid distance to boot. I hit his driver a couple of times and even though I missed it on the heel, got really good distance with it. It's funny because my shot is a draw but the two or thee times I hit the black the shots were fades :bulgy-eyes:. I have no doubt DawgDaddy has found his true:in-love: love with the Cleveland Black driver! Beautiful driver with great results :clapp:

You speak the truth there my friend, I am loving the Cleveland Black, 7/7 fairways on the front and the ones I measured were between 230 and 260 yards, remember I am 64 y/o so to say I am happy is an understatement. Like OG mentions above on the back side I did try to go hard after a couple of drives, one I was trying to cut, the other I was trying to go after hard. I did tee each back up and throttle back a bit and I was able to hit the cut shot that I needed on that hole, the other I just went back to the same tempo and drove the ball pin high on a narrow short par 4 hole (265? OG help me out here). This club is a fairway seeking machine when you keep that tempo smooth. OG did not miss a fairway with any of his swings with the Black today either, even the one hit on the heel, we did not measure the drive, but he probably hit that one 240 yards (off of the heel, wow). We were simply out just hitting balls and talking today and I had a blast with my friend, it was a great day.

I did purchase the 10.5* with the stiff shaft and my SS is 92 to 95 mph with a driver so I certainly recommend the stiff shaft over the regular if you swing above 90 mph. I am certainly not wanting to steal any of the thunder from this great group of testers, I simply wanted to let you know again that your hard work and wonderful reviews let me to the right driver for me. Thank you guys.

Very happy for you DD. Your findings are definitely what I am seeing as well

You speak the truth there my friend, I am loving the Cleveland Black, 7/7 fairways on the front and the ones I measured were between 230 and 260 yards, remember I am 64 y/o so to say I am happy is an understatement. Like OG mentions above on the back side I did try to go hard after a couple of drives, one I was trying to cut, the other I was trying to go after hard. I did tee each back up and throttle back a bit and I was able to hit the cut shot that I needed on that hole, the other I just went back to the same tempo and drove the ball pin high on a narrow short par 4 hole (265? OG help me out here). This club is a fairway seeking machine when you keep that tempo smooth. OG did not miss a fairway with any of his swings with the Black today either, even the one hit on the heel, we did not measure the drive, but he probably hit that one 240 yards (off of the heel, wow). We were simply out just hitting balls and talking today and I had a blast with my friend, it was a great day.

I did purchase the 10.5* with the stiff shaft and my SS is 92 to 95 mph with a driver so I certainly recommend the stiff shaft over the regular if you swing above 90 mph. I am certainly not wanting to steal any of the thunder from this great group of testers, I simply wanted to let you know again that your hard work and wonderful reviews let me to the right driver for me. Thank you guys.

The short par 4 # 12 hole is 275 from the gold tees so you whacked it pretty darn good Dawg!

My previous ball flight with my Tour Burner was medium high, partly because I would tee it a little higher to get the added distance. Now I am teeing it lower and getting a slightly lower ball flight that is more penetrating. The ball really springs off the face of the CG Black.

DD. Sounds like you are off to a great start with the CG Black. Believe me when I say, it only gets better.

DD. Sounds like you are off to a great start with the CG Black. Believe me when I say, it only gets better.

Wow chewie, I don't know if this old man's heart can stand that. I have to say I am more than satisfied right this minute, thanks for the honest and great reviews you have done in this thread buddy, looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks.

Congrats on the first time success DD! That's great news. So I have to ask: does Ole Gray have one coming or what?

Wow chewie, I don't know if this old man's heart can stand that. I have to say I am more than satisfied right this minute, thanks for the honest and great reviews you have done in this thread buddy, looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks.

I can honestly say you have got something very special in your bag and it will set up many great approach shots for 2012. Great purchase Dawg!

Congrats on the first time success DD! That's great news. So I have to ask: does Ole Gray have one coming or what?

You know I could see myself bagging one of these. It truly is a great driver and I was really surpised how straight the thing is off the tee. It reminds me of those polara golf balls in the way they corrected the flight of the golf ball. I thought I was seeing things with my ball fading back in the fairway not once but three times!

You know I could see myself bagging one of these. It truly is a great driver and I was really surpised how straight the thing is off the tee. It reminds me of those polara golf balls in the way they corrected the flight of the golf ball. I thought I was seeing things with my ball fading back in the fairway not once but three times!

Interesting. I will be interested to see if you pursue this one and seeing if it can out battle the old Turdleist!

Back