Sergio on Feherty- Did your impression of him change?

Perhaps. But, in Rickie's case, I Think it has been more on the golfing media, especially broadcasters. They lay it on so thick sometimes its hard to suppress the gag effect! There's no way the kid can live up to that hype.

Yeah. It would be one thing if Sergio was on television in the early 2000's, pounding his chest and talking about how great he is. But he wasn't. Same can be said of Ricky today. Tadashi said Twitter above. I would be really hard pressed to find a Tweet, broadcast, or article, where Ricky is bragging about how great he is or how he is the greatest golfer in the world. Neither one of them did these things. They had the weight of the world put at their feet by the media and the fans. Ricky and Sergio can't help it they are marketable people, for different reasons. They can't help it they have appeal and play good golf. Using the argument "well, Puma/Cobra created Ricky" or "Adidas/Taylor Made created Sergio" is really weak. Using that argument, golf should still be playing balata balls and wearing pleated khakis and saddle shoes and should never move forward. I don't fault either player for the attention they receive .

Yeah. It would be one thing if Sergio was on television in the early 2000's, pounding his chest and talking about how great he is. But he wasn't. Same can be said of Ricky today. Tadashi said Twitter above. I would be really hard pressed to find a Tweet, broadcast, or article, where Ricky is bragging about how great he is or how he is the greatest golfer in the world. Neither one of them did these things. They had the weight of the world put at their feet by the media and the fans. Ricky and Sergio can't help it they are marketable people, for different reasons. They can't help it they have appeal and play good golf. Using the argument "well, Puma/Cobra created Ricky" or "Adidas/Taylor Made created Sergio" is really weak. Using that argument, golf should still be playing balata balls and wearing pleated khakis and saddle shoes and should never move forward. I don't fault either player for the attention they receive .
I always found a flaw in this. I think it's the other way around. These companies benefited from a young kid with history in motocross and other sports and carried his already existing style to these brands.

I still don't find the comparison fitting. I see Ricky's popularity surge as a creation of the media and to Tadashi's point particularly social media. Imagine if Ricky dressed like David Toms instead of a Fanta; crickets. I'm not bashing him in any way. He's a talented, some would say stylish and uber likable guy. When he came on tour I was dead set on hating him because of the hype machine. It only took 1 interview to convert me to a fan. But he is nothing like Sergio at the same age and point in his career and to me it is a stretch comparing them simply because they were both young and famous.

Anyway, I forgot to mention the other reason I've always liked Sergio. World class game and I'm not talking golf. This guy has steadily dated a string of 9/10's his whole life.

My opinion did not change because I've always loved Sergio. Of course, I'm a great judge of character. ;)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

.... No.

I always liked Sergio. Always felt he was just a bit moody and misunderstood. Very immature and not ready for the glare of the spotlight. His game is a thing of beauty when hes on though. That interview just affirmed what I thought of him. I was at the Open when he was heckled and I felt terrible for him and embarrassed by my fellow New Yorkers

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

I definitely was not a fan of Sergio. I'm not really sure why, but I have softened on him over the years. I thought it was great interview, and it did change my impression of him.

While I still think some of the things he has done are bad I respect him a lot more after the interview. I feel like he is the golfer in us we all try to hide but he is good enough to get away with expressing his emotions when things go south lol

I haven't watched the show yet, but I neither liked or disliked Sergio. I feel the same way about Ricky. If the 2 were playing in the same event and it was coming down to the 2 to win, I would pull for Sergio everytime though.

It was a great episode I thought. I thought he was sort of a snotty, snivelling brat with a good game when he's on. Actually, my wife and I both have a new attitude towards him. The guy is passionate and I think that was overlooked by many including yours truly.

Alex

IMO, Ricky brought all of the pressure on himself by dressing in a way that drew attention to himself. It was a good idea on his part, it has made him much richer than he would be otherwise. But I don't think its fair to act like he was thrust into the limelight against his own will.

As far as Sergio, I've always wanted to see him do well. I wanted to see the show but missed it, I need to set my DVR to record Feherty from now on.

I liked him before. I like him after.

IMO, Ricky brought all of the pressure on himself by dressing in a way that drew attention to himself. It was a good idea on his part, it has made him much richer than he would be otherwise. But I don't think its fair to act like he was thrust into the limelight against his own will.

As far as Sergio, I've always wanted to see him do well. I wanted to see the show but missed it, I need to set my DVR to record Feherty from now on.
I don't think it's fair to say that he dressed that way for attention, either. He dresses how he dresses. Clothing shouldn't relate to wins, popularity, or hype at all.

I have always liked Sergio and root for him to get a major. He does look like an a.. when he throws his clubs but it's amusing seeing a pro get overwhelmed with presure and crack like that. The only time he really got me mad was when he spit into the cup. I love that he says whats on his mind and not spitting out cliches. I think most people want the honesty from any athelete but we always jump on them when we dont agree

I have always liked Sergio and root for him to get a major. He does look like an a.. when he throws his clubs but it's amusing seeing a pro get overwhelmed with presure and crack like that. The only time he really got me mad was when he spit into the cup. I love that he says whats on his mind and not spitting out cliches. I think most people want the honesty from any athelete but we always jump on them when we dont agree
To me, the worst was when they showed Sergio regripping the club over and over and over as the gallery heckled him.

I don't think it's fair to say that he dressed that way for attention, either. He dresses how he dresses. Clothing shouldn't relate to wins, popularity, or hype at all.

When you dress in orange head to toe, you are trying to draw attention. Not a knock against him, but just how it is in my eyes. It was a smart move on his part, he branded himself well.

He did a world of good for himself with that show for anyone that thought he was a whiny or arrogant brat. He seems more like the kind of guy that would help an old lady cross the street.

I think Sergio probably relates better to Tiger than he does to Fowler. Rickie Fowler can fly under the radar with his game more easily because he doesn't get compared with the best golfers to ever come from the US. As people in this country measure Tiger against the accomplishments of Jack Nicklaus, people in Spain (and here) surely compare Sergio to the accomplishments of Ballesteros and Olazabal. There just aren't as many great Spanish golfers and he's got to feel the pressure of filling those shoes. How can Rickie relate to that?

I haven't seen the interview, but I can tell you that comparing Rickie Fowler to Sergio is a pretty poor comparison. Sergio was hyped because he proved himself a winner. Freddie is spot on here -

Sergio won twice when he turned pro and 6 times in 3 years. He lived up to his hype.
The other guy would not be relevant if twitter wasn't so popular.

I'm torn over Sergio. I love the Sergio who turns up at the RC and would sweat blood to win half a point for his team. I love the Sergio who shows flashes of Spanish-traditional brilliance from the trees to set up an unlikely birdie.
I dislike the Sergio who whines at a slice, or a hook, who blames the world for a bad shot. The one who spits in cups and swings at bunkers. If that's behind him, I'll be a fan.

I agree, just go look at how Tom Watson, Doug Sanders and others dressed in the 60's and 70's. It's style and at times, flashy but it has happened for decades.

I like the facial hair he has going

I have so much time for Sergio and sometimes he spits the dummy because he knows he has so much talent and it does not always shine through. You also need to remember he is Spanish and they are notorious for being very fiery people so I just seem to expect that.

Sergio's my boy!
<-- (see avatar)

Partly because I'm Spanish, partly because I love his game (except his putting...). He's the classic example of the fiery young kid with high expectations who hasn't materialized into the golfer he *could* be. I'm rooting for him to win a major soon, I think he can eventually win one if he stays the course during the "2nd phase" of his career.

I root against him in the Ryder Cup and for him on the PGA/European Tour. I hate that his putting really kept him from making that big leap. I hate that he never became Tiger's rival because I think he would have quite a bit more US fans if so. Sergio's personality is what we all wished Tiger had.

I think Sergio is a good "kid". I thought the interview was good for him. He is one I can root for. Though his "regripping" at the US Open a few years ago was way overkill, I feel those low lives that heckled him were a**holes!

I hope he is able to get his game back on track..

Back