Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

7000134985_50ec2ac4cc_z.jpg

What a difference a couple days make. Great round. Would have been stellar if I would have made a putt or 2 more. Basically, I just went after it today. First time out with the i20s I was being a big baby with my stroke which threw my timing off. Ball used was B330 RX all distances lasered. Left the Flip at home as it was really distracting the first time out. Until I settle in with the i20s video will be limited. That aside here's what happened.

1. Hit a 6 iron off the tee to mix things up, straight shot down the middle. Left with 136 to pin. Caught the 9I pretty well, but had a tiny movement right and wound up in the greenside bunker. Technically it was a bunker. Ball was sitting up very high on firm dirt is a better way to describe the result. Got under it with a SW and barely made it on the green. 2 putt bogey.

2. Par 3 144 yards. Hit a solid 7I that was dead on the pin. One of those shots you are talking to the ball holding your finish. I couldn't see what happened until I got closer to the green. Flew the pin by 5 yards. Ball actually spun back below the pin and to the right. I'm not a high spin player so I was shocked to see this. 2 putt par from 10 or so feet.

3. Pulled the 4I a little to the left and it caught some tree branches. Left me with 158 to pin. Used the 6I and made the same move, pull to left that caught some tree branches. Good thing or I was OB. Hit the SW from 40 yards left of the pin. Ball dropped and stopped. 2 putt bogey. I'm terrible on this hole so I'll take bogey every time. Lots of trees.

4. 133 yard par 3. Used a 9I, hit well. Ball flight was great for a 9I. Never got too high. Ball was tracking dead on, wound up behind the pin and slightly right. Spun back about 6 feet and was left with a 4 foot bird putt that went in.

5. Well struck 4I off the tee. Left with 112 to pin. Used the PW, hit it a little inside. Ball flight was perfect. Landed a little short and left about 20 feet to hole. 2 putt par.

6. 5I off tee that leaked a touch right. 89 to pin. This would be the UW's shot, but that club is en route to me. Used PW, choked all the way down and shortened up the backstroke. Ball started left and stayed there. Landed on green and stopped dead. Green is elevated. Another 20 feet or so to hole, 2 putt par.

7. 154 par 3. Hit the 7I, felt good. Started right and stayed there. Ball landed on fringe and spun back on green. Very snaky downhill putt, 15 feet or so. Made it in 2 for par.

8. Teed off with 4I and absolutely chunked it. Was a pitiful shot. Pitiful. Pretty short hole so I only had 152 to pin. Hit a really good 7I that was straight as an arrow. Ball dropped and came back a few feet. Just a little left of center of green. 2 putt par from 12 feet or so.

9. Teed off with 6I on another short par 4. Absolutely smoked it. Hit it dead center of face, powerful controlled ball flight. Feel was incredible on this one and the sound was music to my ears. Left with 68 yards to pin. Used a nice full LW that plopped 5 feet left of pin pin high. Sunk it for bird.

Solid round. Night and day from the 1st round. I was making much better contact that resulted in extremely rewarding shots. Fun factor was way up today. Greens on this course are teeny tiny so it can be demanding to hit lots of GIR. I like it for club testing as it's not busy and the owner doesn't care how many balls I hit.

Two things that stood out today was accuracy and spin. Aside from a couple that drifted a little my shots were very straight. Spin was way better than expected and I didn't have a full shot into the green that didn't come back or stay next to it's divot.

this was really cool to see and read....good stuff Griff!

I spent some time with these clubs today at Golf Galaxy, as well as the G20's. I've caught a little bit of a Ping bug and wanted to try these out. I have to say that these are a very aesthetically pleasing club. They just look fantastic. I was also very pleased by the looks of the G20, more so at address than on the rack or in the bag, but the I20's do blow them out of the water overall. I hit the 7 iron and 5 iron in both clubs, just off the mats in the sim, and found that I put a much better swing on the I20's and was seeing a better ball flight and distance out of them. I really liked having less off set in the 5 iron of the I20 than the g20. The feedback at impact was much better overall in the I20 than G20 as well. I was seeing no real distance loss from one club to the other but a major difference from my RBZ's. There is a 3-4 degree difference in the set so each iron is a club longer.

If my lessons work out how I would like these are definitely on a very short list moving forward. They are just an incredible iron.

this was really cool to see and read....good stuff Griff!

Thanks Hanks!

I spent some time with these clubs today at Golf Galaxy, as well as the G20's. I've caught a little bit of a Ping bug and wanted to try these out. I have to say that these are a very aesthetically pleasing club. They just look fantastic. I was also very pleased by the looks of the G20, more so at address than on the rack or in the bag, but the I20's do blow them out of the water overall. I hit the 7 iron and 5 iron in both clubs, just off the mats in the sim, and found that I put a much better swing on the I20's and was seeing a better ball flight and distance out of them. I really liked having less off set in the 5 iron of the I20 than the g20. The feedback at impact was much better overall in the I20 than G20 as well. I was seeing no real distance loss from one club to the other but a major difference from my RBZ's. There is a 3-4 degree difference in the set so each iron is a club longer.

If my lessons work out how I would like these are definitely on a very short list moving forward. They are just an incredible iron.

Nice, Frank. Right about the club selection and it's something I forgot to mention. I am pretty much clubbing 1 down from my previous "distance" irons.

Nice write-up Griff! Impressive spin you're getting, even on a 7I.

Thanks Hanks!

Nice, Frank. Right about the club selection and it's something I forgot to mention. I am pretty much clubbing 1 down from my previous "distance" irons.

Hey Griff - what were you gaming before the i20's?

Nice write-up Griff! Impressive spin you're getting, even on a 7I.

Thanks! Not sure that will be the norm and I won't play for that type of spin. May have just been one of those shots. Spin seems pretty high nonetheless.

Hey Griff - what were you gaming before the i20's?

Adams Redline. If you compare the 2 side by side it's all about the loft in each club. Redlines are much stronger lofted esp in the mid to long irons.

Griff, I'd ask again for how you chipped with the wedges since I am in wedge ponder mode, but it looks like you hit "too many" greens to comment - congrats!

Sweet write up griff. I only have one round and one range session under my belt but even as a higher spin player, I'm seeing some nice bite and spin out of these irons too. I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread that I find the grooves on the irons to be extremely aggressive (to the touch as well). I like them.

You had a solid 9 holes there buddy and I imagine that with more time under your belt you'll be more and more lethal with them. I think the highlight so far of these irons for me is the swing weight. I love it. It feels incredible throughout the swing.

Kmac, details dude. Details.

Sweet write up griff. I only have one round and one range session under my belt but even as a higher spin player, I'm seeing some nice bite and spin out of these irons too. I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread that I find the grooves on the irons to be extremely aggressive (to the touch as well). I like them.

You had a solid 9 holes there buddy and I imagine that with more time under your belt you'll be more and more lethal with them. I think the highlight so far of these irons for me is the swing weight. I love it. It feels incredible throughout the swing.

Shows how different everyone is. I disliked the D0 immensely. Bumped up to D2 and now they feel splendid!

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

Would like to know how the UW,SW, and LW feel and work out. Will be buying i20 5-PW, but thinking about Anser 50 & 54 wedges. Also thinking the Tour-S.

Didn't really sink in with just a few rounds under my belt, but now that you guys mention it I do think there is more bite in these than recent sticks I've had - RXTs being the last. I can remember a few holes at the course I usually play that you have to hit it all the way to the back tier when the pin's deep and thought I hit it just right (because I usually get a little roll out) only to catch just on top and spin back pretty good. And I am not a high spin player.

We are on the EXACT same page - was pondering Anser versus Tour-S but good feedback has me bugging Griff every time he plays for how the i20 SW/LW are on the really short shots. Callaway forged copper are on my "to do" list, as well. Like my UW a lot if that helps though I use that mostly for full shots and threfore wanted to sync up with the rest of the irons.

Would like to know how the UW,SW, and LW feel and work out. Will be buying i20 5-PW, but thinking about Anser 50 & 54 wedges. Also thinking the Tour-S.

Well, I reckon I am going to get fitted for some new irons soon. These are high on the list. I wanted to get fitted for a driver, but my Z-Star has been performing incredibly and I am hitting almost every fairway. Problem is that I am missing the green from the middle of the fairway (from 150 and in the majority of the time, mind you). Now to solve that problem!

Did I totally miss something dude! You own a set of I20 irons :bulgy-eyes:!!!

Griff, I'd ask again for how you chipped with the wedges since I am in wedge ponder mode, but it looks like you hit "too many" greens to comment - congrats!

I can comment on chipping with the PW. I am loving the sole on the W and find it very easy to chip and pitch with. I tend to chunk my chips but I have not missed yet when chipping with the W in this set

I can comment on chipping with the PW. I am loving the sole on the W and find it very easy to chip and pitch with. I tend to chunk my chips but I have not missed yet when chipping with the W in this set
Totally agree with this. Chipping works out very well with these.

Next time out I will spend some quality time with the wedges. I didn't have much time this AM to do more than play one ball. If need be I'll just zero in on the set wedges (UW, SW, LW) and little else. They seem to carry over the positive attributes of the rest of the set.

Thanks TC! My goal was to be aggressive with my swing and targetting today, opposite of what I did the first time out. You're right about the spin. After today I'll feel a lot more comfortable going at small target areas knowing I'll probably hold the green at the least.

Liking the weighting and feel as well. Think the first go I was barely loading the shaft. Felt much better today.

Thanks for the responce JK. I'm playing all Callaway right now. Diablo forged and Jaws wedges. Wedges spin to much and feather the ball. This is the first time I've played something other than Ping since 1976. Also looking at the i20 driver with PX 5.5 if anybody has played it.

We are on the EXACT same page - was pondering Anser versus Tour-S but good feedback has me bugging Griff every time he plays for how the i20 SW/LW are on the really short shots. Callaway forged copper are on my "to do" list, as well. Like my UW a lot if that helps though I use that mostly for full shots and threfore wanted to sync up with the rest of the irons.

No bother JK! Hopefully end of this week I can stress test them :devil:

Today I made my way to Golf Galaxy to finally do something Ive been waiting for weeks to do, Ping i20's vs Adams CB3's 7 iron battle. They have a new launch monitor now that is much better then the old one and now that I can do some decent swings it was time. And being that its Tuesday it wasnt crazy busy like on weekends. What I did was told the guy there I wanted to hit the two clubs and collect data on each. After that Id decide which one was to be OEM'ed. So he set up each club on the launch monitor and I hit 4 good shots and then switched to the other club. And then switched back. If you ask which one I had my heart set on it was the i20's. On the TM RBZ launch event night I was over in the other hitting bay with the i20 7 iron as it had just arrived. Ever since that first pure shot Ive been thinking about them. It just seems each and every time Ive hit the i20 7 iron its felt pure and just awesome. But I had never been able to see numbers till today.

The numbers:
aec3c632.jpg

You'll notice the CB3's were very very tight. This almost led to me OEM'ing them until I grabbed the GG PGA instructor whom Ive taken lessons with during the winter. He looked at the numbers which besides dispersion all pointed to the i20's and suggested the regular flex CFS shaft. Boom. We had a winner. Ping i20's 5-UW black dot, regular flex CFS shafts and they'll come with no grips so GG can install Winn DriTac red and blacks. Let me say the Adams CB3's are awesome sticks but Ive wanted the i20's since that first night we hooked and today they won. Cant wait for them to arrive.

This thread just gets better and better.

Boom! Kmac with the OEM of epic proportions! Truly pumped for you Kevin, very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kmac, the thing that impresses me most is your ball speed with the i20's. Well, couple that with that spin and I'm not surprised to see they trump the 3's in carry distance.

Thanks dudes. I noticed that as well TC. Better ball speed, backspin and notice very little side spin too. All very good things. When I first hit the i20's this is what I suspected I would see and its very cool to actually see it. And how good are those CFS shafts.

Back