Nuun Drink Tablets - Forum Review

Someone is going to have to take one for the team and incorporate some alcoholic beverage overindulgence into their testing. These seem like they might be just the ticket for helping to lessen the severity of a hangover.

After reading the reviews I think I am going to have to try this stuff. I usually only drink Redbull at the start of my round and then a Gatorade or soda during the turn. I don't feel tired after playing but I guess I'm just used to it. Hoping these will give me a little pep!

Great reviews so far! Colt, I really liked the analysis you gave on page one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I wonder how this would do with my gym sessions? I work out pretty intensely and sweat out a good bit. I understand this is a golf based testing but I'm just thinking out loud. Could be a nice boost at the gym.

I wonder how this would do with my gym sessions? I work out pretty intensely and sweat out a good bit. I understand this is a golf based testing but I'm just thinking out loud. Could be a nice boost at the gym.

you really only need to worry about replacing electrolytes if you're going to be working out hard and long, as in over an hour of straight cardio at a good pace (covering 6-8 miles of running for example). if you're not doing that much cardio, you don't need it.

people in general over-suppliment, and take things they don't need.

you really only need to worry about replacing electrolytes if you're going to be working out hard and long, as in over an hour of straight cardio at a good pace (covering 6-8 miles of running for example). if you're not doing that much cardio, you don't need it.

people in general over-suppliment, and take things they don't need.

I don't take any supplements. I just drink a lot of water and exercise. And I do work out pretty hard. I usually do 3-4 miles and then do circuit style training. It's a pretty non-stop workout that generally lasts about an hour and a half.

Well after doing a little more looking around and asking my doctor and getting the ok from him to try these out with my new meds I ordered some, my new meds are giving me very bad muscle spasms and cramps and really making me dehydrated so hopefully these will help. I see they ship from Chicago so hopefully mine will be here friday if they ship tomorrow. Here is to hoping anyway, I went with the sample pack of 4 flavors.

I don't take any supplements. I just drink a lot of water and exercise. And I do work out pretty hard. I usually do 3-4 miles and then do circuit style training. It's a pretty non-stop workout that generally lasts about an hour and a half.

I'd think that these tablets would definitely be a good thing to add to your workout.

you're 100% fine with plain old water, taking NUUN or the like won't harm you in any way.. but it's not going to help in any measurable way either.

I'm sure you're doing a hard workout, but you're just not going long enough for electrolytes to become an issue (unless you're outdoors in extreme heat)

you're 100% fine with plain old water, taking NUUN or the like won't harm you in any way.. but it's not going to help in any measurable way either.

I'm sure you're doing a hard workout, but you're just not going long enough for electrolytes to become an issue (unless you're outdoors in extreme heat)

Can't copy paste from the pdf but here's a similar writeup from: http://www.livestrong.com/article/432741-electrolyte-replacement-protocol-for-exercise/

When you sweat, you lose more than water from your body. You also lose electrolytes, which are substances like salt and potassium that your body uses to maintain muscle function. Your muscles rely on electrolytes to lift weights, run and stretch. If you sweat too much, you may suffer from dehydration -- a condition that causes serious symptoms. Prevent harmful symptoms by properly replacing electrolytes when you exercise.

FACTORS AFFECTING ELECTROLYTE LOSSES The American College of Sports Medicine released guidelines on fluid electrolyte replacement and factors determining a person's average electrolyte losses. The ACSM found a one-size-fits-all approach does not suit electrolyte replacement protocol. Factors that determine how many fluids you will need to replace include your body weight, metabolism and heredity. Other outdoor factors like the temperature and humidity level also affect your overall electrolyte loss.

PROTOCOLS You should not begin to drink fluids when you exercise. Instead, drink an electrolyte-containing beverage -- such as a sports drink -- one to two hours before you start exercising. When exercising, do not drink an electrolyte-containing beverage that contains more than 50 to 60 calories. This is because drinks with more calories tend to have too much sugar that can affect your body's ability to absorb electrolytes. Weigh yourself before you exercise. For every pound of body weight lost during exercise, sip -- not gulp -- three, 8-oz. glasses of water or electrolyte-containing beverage. Continue to hydrate this way after your exercise session has concluded. It takes some time for your body to recover after exercise.

CONSIDERATIONS/SYMPTOMS If you are exercising vigorously, in extreme heat or for longer than an hour, electrolyte replacement is important. Do not rely on symptoms like thirst to signal that it is time for you to drink something. You can recognize if your electrolyte replacement protocol is not working for you by being aware of the following symptoms. When you lose 2 to 4 percent of your body's water, your muscular endurance will be affected. At 4 to 6 percent losses, you will begin to lose strength and experience heat cramps. At losses greater than 6 percent, you could have severe heat cramps, exhaustion and heat stroke, which can lead to death.

GOALS Following an electrolyte replacement protocol is meant to achieve the overall goal of preventing dehydration. Replacing electrolytes before your exercise session helps enhance fluid absorption while you exercise. Fluid replacement during exercise helps you manage your electrolyte intake without causing your athletic performance to suffer. Finally, electrolyte replacement after your exercise session helps rehydrate you and replace your lost electrolyte stores.

Okay, so I was totally dehydrated when I woke up this morning. Decided since I have a bunch more tester packets available that I'd try the fruit punch THP sent me.

Dropped the tablet in a 3/4 full 20oz bottle and I'd say total dissolving time is about 90 seconds. A few small flakes were floating around but one quick shake took care of those too.

Taste isn't what I'd call "good" but I downed the whole bottle fairly quick and never felt any urge to gag. The only way I can really compliment the taste is to say that although not delicious by any means, it isn't so bad that it seems like a chore to drink it.

When you take your first swig of NUUN enhanced water you'll notice that the liquid leans towards the base side of the PH scale. No real acidic flavor. Like somebody said earlier, there is a mild to faint taste of alka-seltzer right there with the light fruit flavor. If I had to give a percentage of taste ratios I'd say 50% water, 30% fruit punch, and 20% alka-seltzer. That's what I took from it.

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

I sipped on the grape NUUN throughout my round today. Decided to walk even though my back is bothering me to see if it affected my game positively using the NUUN tablet.

Conditions were 82* and sunny with mild humidity. Lots of wind to be walking into and kept my bag on my back as opposed to using the Clic Gear.

Commented on the taste earlier. Taste is like a watered down kool aid packet with a bit of alka seltzer in the mix. Not gross but not tasty.

Tablets are very easy to carry along with you. The only problem I see is in having to break them if you have a small mouthed water bottle. Maybe this could be remedied by either making them elongated in shape or by doubling the tablet amount and making them smaller.

No real noticeable difference in energy levels or anything with these, but that's not what they're for. I can say that after about 15 holes I usually start to lose my backswing due to just being a bit wore down. My energy levels never really increased through the round, but I did notice that they sustained well through the entire round. Those last few holes the club didn't seem as hard to get back on plane and into the slot.

Also, weird enough, my back didn't hurt "as much" as it usually does at the end of a round today either. I would like to think it might be because of my muscles being more hydrated and able to hold up better to my swing.

All in all I would say that the day 1 trial was a mildly successful. Great concept, easy to use, and seemingly effective. Taste and level of effectiveness judgements will be passed after a couple more rounds while using NUUN.

Someone is going to have to take one for the team and incorporate some alcoholic beverage overindulgence into their testing. These seem like they might be just the ticket for helping to lessen the severity of a hangover.

I rarely drink when I play golf but have been taking electrolytes while drinking for a long time. They make a significant difference on how I feel the next morning when I drink a few drinks (2-4). If I drink more than that I have bigger problems than dehydration. The key for me is to take them well before, during and after drinking (or whatever I am doing to get dehydrated).

It tastes like Alkaseltzer. The Lemon lime that is.

I cannot get around how much it taste like AlkaSeltzer. It was so off-putting that I had trouble getting it down. It was lightly carbonated and weak flavored with a taste that reminded me of chalk.

Performance however, was great. At least as good as Gatorade, but without making my mouth feel dry. I stayed hydrated nicely.

Tablets need to be broken in half to fit in the bottle. Nuun may want to address this.

They dissolve quickly and evenly.

Will try the fruit punch alongside Gatorade this weekend (weather permitting) and report back.

Last edited:

I cannot get around how much it taste like AlkaSeltzer. It was so off-putting that I had trouble getting it down. It was lightly carbonated, chalky, and weakly flavored.

Performance however, was great. At least as good as Gatorade, but without making my mouth feel dry. I stayed hydrated nicely.

Tablets need to be broken in half to fit in the bottle. Nuun may want to address this.

Will try the fruit punch alongside Gatorade this weekend (weather permitting) and report back.

That's strange. I got zero chalkiness from the NUUN tablet. I did get alka seltzer. But no chalkiness. That's actually one of the things that I liked about it.

Did you dissolve it in cold water, JR?

I meant the flavor was reminiscent of chalk to me. I will edit to reflect that. Thanks. Yes, I used cold water.
That's strange. I got zero chalkiness from the NUUN tablet. I did get alka seltzer. But no chalkiness. That's actually one of the things that I liked about it.

Did you dissolve it in cold water, JR?

I have been using Nuun tablets for years on the bike. I'm sure I have come accustomed to bland tasting food during physical activity thru the years of using hammer gel, power bars etc. I have never liked sweet tasting items during a workout, etc. That goes double went it is hot. IMHO, you wont feel any different after using the tablets. That is the point, you dont go down hill. Dehydration or even a good bonk cannot be corrected quickly and in some cases can take several days to recover from completely. Use these tablets as a way to keep from getting to that state. If you prefer water, Hammer nutrition sells and electrolyte capsule the I have used and been very happy with many hot summers, slugging the miles out on the bike and golf course.

Thanks for the reviews. I'm not sure the mister would actually drink this. My thought when reading this is I can't believe how many people have used Alka Seltzer. I have no idea what that tastes like. So... it's not as good as like Air Borne? B/c that's what I was thinking of when I heard about a tablet that dissolves into water and it a little bubbly. I like Air Borne btw. Maybe it's like alka seltzer too ??

Thanks for the reviews. I'm not sure the mister would actually drink this. My thought when reading this is I can't believe how many people have used Alka Seltzer. I have no idea what that tastes like. So... it's not as good as like Air Borne? B/c that's what I was thinking of when I heard about a tablet that dissolves into water and it a little bubbly. I like Air Borne btw. Maybe it's like alka seltzer too ??

Patty I actually like alka seltzer on the rocks so this product would probably suit me well!

Reminds me of a time when I was in Vietnam and one of the South Vietnam soldiers was suffering from a terrible hangover. One of my buddies told him to take an alka seltzer and it would fix him up. The next thing we know the dude was foaming at the mouth like a mad dog. He had actually put the thing directly in his mouth and was chewing on it with this strange look on his face. I guess it cured his hangover because he run out the hootch and disappeared :bulgy-eyes:

Appreciate the reviews guys and it sounds like this is a good product to try. I will have to check it out!

Patty I actually like alka seltzer on the rocks so this product would probably suit me well!

Reminds me of a time when I was in Vietnam and one of the South Vietnam soldiers was suffering from a terrible hangover. One of my buddies told him to take an alka seltzer and it would fix him up. The next thing we know the dude was foaming at the mouth like a mad dog. He had actually put the thing directly in his mouth and was chewing on it with this strange look on his face. I guess it cured his hangover because he run out the hootch and disappeared :bulgy-eyes:

Appreciate the reviews guys and it sounds like this is a good product to try. I will have to check it out!

Haha Grey as a laugh in the pro shop last year I ate one of the NUUN tablets straight up and started foaming at the mouth like crazy too. It was actually really funny but I couldn't handle it.

I cannot get around how much it taste like AlkaSeltzer. It was so off-putting that I had trouble getting it down. It was lightly carbonated and weak flavored with a taste that reminded me of chalk.

Awesome! Looking forward to hear how it competes VS Gatorade. Looks like Gatorade is already slightly in the lead with the taste.

Awesome! Looking forward to hear how it competes VS Gatorade. Looks like Gatorade is already WAY in the lead with the taste.

FIFY.

I love the way it performs, but I how like heck the fruit punch tastes better.

I will have to check it out!

I'll be sipping on some of this as we tee off on Saturday. The range session should wear me out a bit and it will give me a chance to see how long I can go from #1 until I get plum wore out.

Good reports JR and Colt, I will be trying this out as soon as my shipment comes from Nuun. I am like Ole Gray, I do like the taste of Alka Seltzer on the rocks so I should be good to go with the small % of taste that Colt reported. Keep up the good work all of you testers.

for some of you who don't love the taste, a trick that generally helps is only use half the tablet per bottle of water
if you mix it a little weaker, it helps the taste in my experience.

for some of you who don't love the taste, a trick that generally helps is only use half the tablet per bottle of water
if you mix it a little weaker, it helps the taste in my experience.

Sounds like a good plan lefty, mine were just delivered today. I ordered them Monday from Nuun with the economy $3.99 shipping, so if anyone orders don't pay for the fast shipping you will pay an awful lot for it to be in you hands one day earlier. I have company arriving tonight and they are staying until Sunday so it will be Monday before I get them on the course, can't wait to see what I think.

Back