ulle73

Reaction score
Handicap
dont know why, but lately ive been chipping and shrt pitching sooooo badly. Everything inside 30 yards. I can sometimes hit it 10 yards left of the hole, when having a 15-20 yards chip. When putting, im holding the reverse putter grip (left hand under the right one) Its like this kind of short swing feels so weird and uncomfortable.

What should i do? change my putting grip? Im putting porly as well... Any good excersises? Would really appreciate all help i can get

Here is a great episode of THP TV on this very thing.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=1518

thats the weird thing... im doing everything he says, weight forward, hands forward, ball back... but still cant get the ball straight, the lenght of the shot is fine, just cant get the ball to go straight...

Wish I could help but with my short game now I'm now close to qualified. All I can say is find something you are confortable with and practice A LOT.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

thats the weird thing... im doing everything he says, weight forward, hands forward, ball back... but still cant get the ball straight, the lenght of the shot is fine, just cant get the ball to go straight...

Then somewhere in there, something is amiss. My gut tells me you are breaking your wrists and on the follow through trying to catch up or help it a bit. That happens all the time. Maybe grab some video the next practice session and see how it goes.

Then somewhere in there, something is amiss. My gut tells me you are breaking your wrists and on the follow through trying to catch up or help it a bit. That happens all the time. Maybe grab some video the next practice session and see how it goes.

okay, you mean i should not hinge my wrist at all? Cause thats what im doing, not hinging... and thats why i think it feels so oncomfortable, since only time im not hinging my wrist in a swing, is when putting, and that time, im holding the reverse grip. Its driving me crazy :(

I agree with JB that you may be breaking your wrists. I know because when I was taking lessons, my instructor preached and preached to me about it. When I'm missing left like that, it's almost always the reason.

Flipping your wrists at impact might be a better way to describe what I'm talking about.

I agree with JB that you may be breaking your wrists. I know because when I was taking lessons, my instructor preached and preached to me about it. When I'm missing left like that, it's almost always the reason.

Flipping your wrists at impact might be a better way to describe what I'm talking about.

okay, yes maybe you guys are right, just that i dont feel it my self. Do you have any good drills for keeping the wrist straight?

I did a quick search on Youtube - here you go:

Great video to fix this! I was gonna suggest the wrists were breaking as well but I wasn't fast enough :) .

On a side note, say you have a typical flat shot where you would use this chipping technique, what is the max distance out (i know it is relative to the course conditions) one would use this technique? I guess a range would be a better answer since it is dependent on other factors. Thanks!

THIS ^^^^^

What you are probably doing is getting flippy with the wrists either at impact of just past the ball in an effort to help the ball get airborne....when you do that you will either pull othe shot left or hit it off the hosel and rocket it to the right...you have to hit down on the ball and trust that the loft will get the ball in the air.

THIS ^^^^^

What you are probably doing is getting flippy with the wrists either at impact of just past the ball in an effort to help the ball get airborne....when you do that you will either pull othe shot left or hit it off the hosel and rocket it to the right...you have to hit down on the ball and trust that the loft will get the ball in the air.

yes i know, its not that i want to help the ball up in the air, i think its more that when doing a practise swing, it feels okay, steady wrists, but when hitting the ball, just before impact i get a feeling that im hitting it to hard, and then try to slow down, same with long putts... seems like i cant get rid of that :/

Weight 50/50, ball center, neutral shaft angle, silent arms/wrists and body rotation is a much simpler way of chipping it. Use the bounce, don't remove (like with forward press).

yes i know, its not that i want to help the ball up in the air, i think its more that when doing a practise swing, it feels okay, steady wrists, but when hitting the ball, just before impact i get a feeling that im hitting it to hard, and then try to slow down, same with long putts... seems like i cant get rid of that :/

Sounds like you just nailed the problem. I'm guilty of that at times, but you have to accelerate through the ball at impact. Adjust the distance you want the ball to go by the amount of back swing.

What club are you chipping with? Most amateurs need to keep the ball lower and get it rolling as soon as possible and need to pick a club to do that. To that end I am more likely to hit the ball to a landing spot as from there it will roll to where I want it to. I have found that it is easier to control roll out and distance by picking a spot where I can get the ball down and rolling as soon as possible when chipping. The tension that comes from target fixation and the flag is reduced by doing this as well.

Sounds like you just nailed the problem. I'm guilty of that at times, but you have to accelerate through the ball at impact. Adjust the distance you want the ball to go by the amount of back swing.

right here is my downfall, practice it a bit yesterday with the new 588 58*, short swing back and then explode through.

Only issue I have now is that putting my hands forward takes a lot of loft out of the club and with the fast greens as of late, Ive been running them by. Im guessing the only fix there is opening up the face as I press hands forward, but that just scares me LOL

I was having this problem last week as well. Chipped awesome the front 9, had 3 that were inside 2 ft and the back 9 I fell apart. I stopped accelerating through the ball and tried to add loft, which resulted in come chili dips, hosel rockets and tops. practiced all week in my backyard with the 54 and 58 out of hardpan and deep rough and worked on keeping wrists solid at impact and hitting down on the ball.

right here is my downfall, practice it a bit yesterday with the new 588 58*, short swing back and then explode through.

Only issue I have now is that putting my hands forward takes a lot of loft out of the club and with the fast greens as of late, Ive been running them by. Im guessing the only fix there is opening up the face as I press hands forward, but that just scares me LOL

Try scooting the ball just a tiny bit forward in your stance when you need shorter softer pitches/chips. I sometimes have to do this on super fast greens or downhill little touchy feely shots. The ball will land a little softer and even have a touch of spin to help stop quicker.

Try scooting the ball just a tiny bit forward in your stance when you need shorter softer pitches/chips. I sometimes have to do this on super fast greens or downhill little touchy feely shots. The ball will land a little softer and even have a touch of spin to help stop quicker.

I'll definitely give it a shot, I know its been all towards the back of the stance up to this point. I was just happy to only have 2 thin shots out of about 60 or so, but I definitely need to get a little more hang time on it....thanks for the tip

I'll definitely give it a shot, I know its been all towards the back of the stance up to this point. I was just happy to only have 2 thin shots out of about 60 or so, but I definitely need to get a little more hang time on it....thanks for the tip

You bet, good luck out there.

Lots of threads on chipping but this is the one I liked best for name, so here we go..

I had a really hairy lie yesterday with a chip.. I was behind the green about 7 feet off, in deeper rough area but my ball was actually in a dry spot where there was grass but I couldn't get much club underneath it. The fringe was dry as was the green, all sloping down to the hole which was cut about 6 paces onto the green. Long = water.

How would you guys play it?

I usually alternate from a lower pitch that bites (generally when hitting uphill) or a flop that rolls out a bit. In this case, I really didn't have enough club under the ball to not fear it skulling through into the water playing a flop. I played it safe and gave it a soft pitch, which skidded on the rough then fringe and rolled through the green about 15 feet past the hole.

Lots of threads on chipping but this is the one I liked best for name, so here we go..

I had a really hairy lie yesterday with a chip.. I was behind the green about 7 feet off, in deeper rough area but my ball was actually in a dry spot where there was grass but I couldn't get much club underneath it. The fringe was dry as was the green, all sloping down to the hole which was cut about 6 paces onto the green. Long = water.

How would you guys play it?

I usually alternate from a lower pitch that bites (generally when hitting uphill) or a flop that rolls out a bit. In this case, I really didn't have enough club under the ball to not fear it skulling through into the water playing a flop. I played it safe and gave it a soft pitch, which skidded on the rough then fringe and rolled through the green about 15 feet past the hole.

With this lie I eliminate the flop shot from my thoughts pretty quickly. I want to make sure I'm going to hit the ball first so I make sure the ball is well back in my stance and think about taking a steeper approach to the ball. I use my highest lofted club to account for the slope and being short sided.

This, and I find that if I keep my nose behind the ball the ball comes out a touch higher and softer. I have to be a little careful about this though because it is a bit of a 'cheat' from normal technique and can lead to bad habits.

Back