What is your luckiest shot?

bump n run

Habitual Pin Seeker
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey everybody I figured this would be a great question and would get some interesting responses. For me I was playing in Myrtle Beach and decided I would crank one with my driver. I was 17 at the time, and thought I could hit the ball 450 yards, and I "slipped" on my down swing and the ball flew about 180 yards then skipped of a pond flew another 100 or so yards and then continued to roll down the cart path. The hole was a par 4 and was 394 yards. I could not find my ball anywhere until my friend spotted something on the fringe of the green and needless to say, that was the longest drive I have ever hit and I walked away with a birdie :banana:.

Post some great lucky shots and if you don't believe in luck then post something anyway.

my luckiest shot was on #18 at my home course. dogleg right par 5. drove down the middle but my second in the right trees about 60 yards from the hole. pulled out the 60* wedge and put it in for an eagle, my first and only eagle as of right now. pretty lucky shot but i like to think it was skill :act-up:

I have 2 come to mind when I think about this.

1) 70 yards out on a Par 4. I bladed my 60* wedge and the ball went screaming toward the hole. It landed about 5 feet short of the hole and one-hopped-stopped for me about 3" to the left of the hole. That was an easy tap-in birdie. There was no skill in that shot. Just a complete miss that worked somehow.

2) In a fairway bunker about 145 yards out. I took out my 9 iron and picked it clean. The ball was headed straight for the hazard but it came down and took a huge bounce to the left and rolled right up next to the hole. I looked all around where my ball landed to see what it hit, but never found anything. So it should have been a shot in the hazard and I would have been lucky to save double bogey. Instead, I tapped in for birdie.

13th Hole on my home course is a 165 yd par 3 with about 100 yards of thick bushes immediately in front of the tee box, OOB all the way down the left and trees running for about 110 yds down the right. It's a pretty intimidating hole, especially in spring and summer when the bushes have grown up a bit, and it's not unknown for people to lose a couple of balls on there.

I duffed my tee shot 10 yds to the right so that it landed on the path that runs down to the green between the bushes and the trees. It slopes left to the bushes and is very uneven with stones and gravel on it. The ball ended up bouncing all the way down to the end of the path leaving me a 60 yd chip to the green. I made the chip to the green, 2-putted and ended up with a net par. Couldn't repeat that shot again if I tried it.

Mine was the 1st hole earlier this year. I was about 220 out and took my 3 wood on a par 5. Hit a horrible shot that started left of the green and sliced way right. Saw it go into a big tree and could hear it bouncing around only for it to shoot out of the tree and land on the green about 10 feet from the hole.

These are classic! Love these stories! Mine may not be considered a shot but here it goes. Hooked my drive deep into the other fairway rough on 9 where the greenskeeper was working on something. He has a dog with him at all times who is amazingly well trained and well-behaved...usually. When he saw the ball come down he ran and picked it up. The greenskeeper proceeded to run after him to get the ball but the dog kept running towards my next green. He caught the dog on the fringe and the dog immediately released the ball. The hole was a 365 yd par 4 and I made birdie easily (nearly eagle). We still play at that course a few times a year and I always bring treats for that dog.

My third ever golfing I sliced one on short par 4, ended up pin high about 40-50 yards right. My buddie handed me a 58* and told to choke down and take it easy, thinned the crap out of it and it hit the flag, dropped and rolled a few feet out. I ended up with my first birdie, didn't get another one for quite a while though.....and shot a 126 that day.

I have to go back several years for mine...I was playing with a couple of friends at a course I was unfamilar with and we came to a short par 4 tee box that was listed on the card as 305, but it was a severe dog log right and there were large thick trees lining both sides of the fairway.

I dedided I was going to hit 3W and try to fade it around the corner....I crushed it and hit it low and dead straight...we saw it disappear into the trees and heard it rattle around hitting several trees very solidly.

We get down there and I am looking all through the heavy woods and thick grass trying to find my ball when one of my buddies starts screaming and laughing his ass off......the golf gods had seen fit to ricochet my ball around the trees and somehow it came out and was sitting right in the middle of the green less than 5 feet from the cup!

Par 4 15th at my home course, 105 out up hill you can see the top of the flag but not the hole. Hit the PW pretty solid and when I got to the green we thought I must have gone long. After looking around for a few minutes we found the ball in the hole. That remains my only eagle on a par 4 and my favorite of all of the eagles I have ever had.

How silly, luck??? Every good shot I hit is a result of superior skill:joy:

Actually, I have had too many good breaks to single out any single one.

My luckiest shot was an approach shot on my 9th. I was about 120 away, pulled out my gw, and totally skulled it. Went about 20 feet high and flew. Now, the lucky part: the green is surrounded by trees, and I hit the middle of the tree behind the green, bounced back, and ended up 6 feet from the hole. Even better, I made the birdie putt :)

I have gotten so many fortunate bounces just this year, I don't think I could ever single out one particularly lucky shot. I can think of 3 drives within the past few weeks that were sliced and by all accounts should have been lost, but somehow managed to bounce back into the middle of the fairway and in really good position.

Perhaps my "Luckiest" shot came in the middle of my alltime luckiest round ever in 2000. I was -3 after 3, starting out eagle/par/birdie (and back then my handicap was 18). The house next to the fourth tee was having a cookout, and with all those people standing around and yacking, I managed to hit a perfect drive, long and straight, leaving me an easy wedge to the 4th green. The green sits on top of a rock ledge, so if you are short your ball will bounce back towards you, and if you are long you are in the woods. I totally bladed my wedge, hitting a line drive that barely cleared the top of the rock ledge. Nothing could stop that ball from rocketing into the woods and getting lost....except for the pin, which it hit. I couldn't see the hole from where I was, and as hard as the ball hit the pin I figured there was no telling where the ball had bounced off to. Of course, since I'm typing in this thread, the ball somehow managed to just drop in the hole. -5 after 4 holes. Too bad the heavy skins were on the back 9.

Having only come back to the game a year ago, I've gone golf mad this year. I think what's got me so enthused is having had more than enough moments of magic and hilarity to counteract the frequent despair!

A round for my birthday was organised in January, with three friends. One can play, the other two not so much. The better player has started winding me up in recent months, and despite usually finding his good-natured ribbing hilarious myself, it's caused me to duff plenty of shots. I'd bought an R11 3wood just after Christmas, as I'd only been playing irons all year, and hit it brilliantly during a round alone. I thought - this is gonna help me whoop his ass! Needless to say, come my birthday, 200yard slices were all I could manage! By the 12th hole, I told my friends I wasn't even scoring any more. I was playing so badly that scoring was spoiling my birthday. So I said there and then, I'm just gonna go for the most spectacular/crazy/hilarious shot of the day. Not that I had anything particular in mind.

Only two holes later, on 14, I was left with 70yards to the pin, on a green starting about ten feet below my elevation, which sloped away further and was split-level too. The flag was on the lower far side. With my relatively new sand wedge, I proceeded to pitch it perfectly and land the ball literally IN the hole! We all stood there dazed for a moment, then all cheered like crazy. It made my day!

Of course, having declared my intentions, naturally it was skill on my part!!! LOL. I'm sure the sound in my head, somewhat like the cup vacuuming the ball in, was really as it was!

And then just last week, I had the best run of luck ever. The 3wood was behaving. I out-drove the better player's driver on the 1st. Got my first ever eagle on the 2nd, having driven 240+ with 3wood into a blind front of green bunker, then picked the ball off the sand so cleanly with my lob wedge and rolled it into the hole. (Stopped to take a celebratory photo! LOL). Another perfect 3wood on the 3rd, resulting in a birdie, then two pars to follow, again from fantastic 3woods from the tee. The first of those pars was only an inch from being a birdie. So I was -3 for a few holes. Doubt that'll ever happen again!

I have an R11 driver being delivered tomorrow. Having just typed all this, I'm not really sure why?!!!

The winner: Many years ago when I was a teenager I walked on as a single at the local muni and got paired with an old guy. We approached a green that had like 3' or 4' stakes around it maybe 30 or 40 feet in front of the greens. There was rope looped through eyelets across the top of the metal stakes. I hit my approach wedge really high but short - so short that the ball came down precisely on the rope. Amazingly the ball balanced on the rope, pulling the rope taut. There wasn't enough slack in the rope for it to go all the way to the ground so it collapsed maybe 2 feet then acted like a slingshot and propelled the ball back into air, just slightly forward. The 'thrown' ball flew forward, bounced a couple of times and rolled to about 18" from the hole. The old guy got so mad about my incredible luck that he started cursing me as he walked ahead in disgust.

A close 2nd: Playing to about a 36 last season but puring a 3h 235 yards for an ace on a hole called Devil.

Great stories everybody! What's even better is that I can visualize almost all of these shots because I have been there myself and probably every golfer has. Keep the great stories coming in

Two years ago I had a drive that I pushed and left me behind a line of trees on a dogleg left. I had 175 left but only space to the left of a tree. I took a 5-iron, weakened my grip and held my release off so much that I rotated my wrists clockwise. The ball flew out to the left of the tree and continued to cut. It ended up cutting 25-30 yards. It ended up landing 12' from the pin. It was an amazing shot that I had no business trying, much less accomplishing.

I played with forum member MO_Hacker and he hit a ball short of the green and it landed in the water. But then it hit a fish and it bounced out and landed on the green.

I recently had the luckiest shot I've ever had. I hit a pulled 8i...WAY pulled...on a par 3 that hit the side of a tree and rocketed out back to the left, landing on the green and rolling to 10 feet for my birdie. Myself and my playing partner couldn't stop laughing. I missed the birdie, lol.

I play this little 9 hole course not far from me, mostly for some quick practice. Anyway, most of the fairways are lined with very tall pines and the ninth has some of the tallest. I hit a bad slice onto the adjacent fairway,which is the first fairway. The only shot to hit the green was over the very tall pines and about 130 yards. The safe shot was to hit a shot back to the ninth and try to get down from 100, but I was brave this day and decided to go for it. I then proceeded to hit one of the purest and luckiest 9- irons ever, hit the green and 3 putted for bogey LOL! At least I took comfort in hitting a great and lucky shot. Since then the course was sold and the new owner takes horrible care of the course.Its too bad, it used to be a real fun place to play.

My drive landed just short of a creek and rolled across the only bridge to a sweet spot on the far side for the perfect approach to a long par 5 hole.

Was playing with my normal playing partner a year ago at our local course. We always play for a few beers after each round, so we're coming up to 18 and I know that I'm down. I stripe my drive down the center on a long par 4 and I'm sitting about 190 out. I'm doing my normal pre shot routine and I ask him how many I'm down, and he tells me that I'm down 2. So I jokingly say ok let me just hole out real quick. I step up with a 5 iron and strike it really well, it bounced on the front of the fringe and started rolling onto the green. Then it looks like the ball goes in the cup, but we're just shy of 200 out so I can't tell for certain. He hits shot left and short, so then we're driving up and I don't see my ball anywhere on the green so I know I dropped it for eagle. He misses his up and down and I won 2 beers with the best shot of my life. Will never forget that shot as long as I live.

Last friday I hit a perfect straight 5 iron shot on to the green of a treacherous par three, it barely missed the hole and get this, the head pro that is also my instructor was conveniently driving buy and saw my lucky shot! it was amazing!!!! I eventually birdied my first par 3 ( I tend to do nasty 2 puts or a par up and down):banana:It was also a lucky shot since I tend to hit my longer irons crappy!

See, I don't consider a perfect shot, a lucky shot. For it to be lucky, something has to happen that you didn't plan. A good shot is a good shot. A lucky shot is a bad shot that ended up good.

flew a par3 into a giant cedar in back of the green. Ball came down on the top boughs, and bounced and rolled down the branches and dropped onto the green. I think I got the 2 putt par.

Back