Paint Fill... Sorry for the Delay!

NYgolf33

Reaction score
Handicap
So I finally decided to get the paint pen and paint fill my clubs today. After posting in a thread one day I got a lot of PM's asking me to show pics. I bought a red Sharpie oil based paint pen w/ an extra fine point. The fine point allows you to easily get inside the numbers and other millings.

I painted all the numbers on my irons red (to match the red Iomic grips I have), the sights on my Odyssey #9 putter, the grip on the putter to make it ALL red (check out the pics) and parts of my Callaway wedges.

I got the idea to do this from a co worker of mine. We worked at a retail golf store and he did all the custom fittings and would build the most amazing sets you could imagine. He used to paint fill his clubs and I borrowed his pens one night and did mine. Its not some special skill, its very easy to do, especially with these fine tip pens.

Dont worry if you get paint on the sole of the club. When it dries, you can scratch it off or go to the range and hit a few balls off the mat. Any paint thats not inside a milling is going to be taken right off

Heres the pics....

Paintfill1.jpg
Paintfill2.jpg
PAintfill3.jpg
Paintfill4.jpg
Paintfill6.jpg
Paintfill7.jpg
Paintfill9.jpg

Looks good. Sounds easy enough. This actually might get me moving on this.

Looks great nice job.

I like it. So where do they sell that particular type of Sharpie?

Looks good. Sounds easy enough. This actually might get me moving on this.

very easy... before I found a fine tip sharpie brand it wasnt this easy... it used to take a lot of patience to make it look good

I like it. So where do they sell that particular type of Sharpie?

I live in NY and theres a crafts store called Michaels... not sure how many other states there in but there $3.99 each and come in a million different colors

very easy... before I found a fine tip sharpie brand it wasnt this easy... it used to take a lot of patience to make it look good

I live in NY and theres a crafts store called Michaels... not sure how many other states there in but there $3.99 each and come in a million different colors

We have those here in Georgia, my wife does cross stitch so we are there several times a year, was in there just last week. I will pick up a couple of Sharpie's next time I am in there.

If I wanted to trade-in my clubs down the road, would the paint hurt the trade-in value of the clubs?

If I wanted to trade-in my clubs down the road, would the paint hurt the trade-in value of the clubs?

Ive sold a few on eBay no problem (although I do mention it in the listing) and last week I brought the putter to Golfsmith just to see what they would give me for it, they said "I like the red sights" and gave me the value... Ive also traded in clubs at the job I had in retail golf, I dont think it will be a problem...

Ive sold a few on eBay no problem (although I do mention it in the listing) and last week I brought the putter to Golfsmith just to see what they would give me for it, they said "I like the red sights" and gave me the value... Ive also traded in clubs at the job I had in retail golf, I dont think it will be a problem...

Cool stuff, might head out to Hobby Lobby or Michaels later and buy one of those pens. :clapp:

We have those here in Georgia, my wife does cross stitch so we are there several times a year, was in there just last week. I will pick up a couple of Sharpie's next time I am in there.

yea theres a whole display in an aisle for them... they have regular sharpies and paint ones in a variety of different tip sizes... Id prob recommend the extra fine for most applications

Did you remove the paint underneath the red or just paint over it?

Yes, that is my question too. Does the original black (in most cases) paint need to be removed first? Or will the color show correctly even with that black underneath? Or should you put down a white layer of sharpie first then put another color over it?

Did you remove the paint underneath the red or just paint over it?

Yes, that is my question too. Does the original black (in most cases) paint need to be removed first? Or will the color show correctly even with that black underneath? Or should you put down a white layer of sharpie first then put another color over it?

I just applied the red over the black... I painted all the clubs, then when I finished went back and did another coat... depending how often you play, the color on the short irons will wear off in about a season if you dont touch it up (but its so easy with this extra fine point that you might as well keep them looking fresh)

If you use a light color like yellow or white, you may need a few coats but the colors lay on pretty thick where you shouldnt see the black underneath very easily

I wanted to do green on my wedges but I didnt want to go overboard... when I first started doing this a while back I got carried away a few times and paint EVERYTHING lol... be careful as there is a fine line between what looks good and what is overdoing it

I went to Michael's today and picked up a red pen myself. I have been wanting to do this for a while. The Sharpie pen is such a great idea. I think the red paint fill will look great on my Burner 2.0s. I will be doing this tonight to my clubs.

I want to try this in orange because my grips and bag are this color. I may have to get out this weekend and get a pen to try it.

How easy is it to remove the paint if you are going to sell them? Also how often do you need to retouch them?

How easy is it to remove the paint if you are going to sell them? Also how often do you need to retouch them?

It's not hard to take it out with a little acetone. Depends on the club for retouching. The loft on the SW will need retouching quickest while the back of a GW will probably not need it for a long while.

This is awesome. It looks so good. I wanna paint fill mine! I could totally see myself getting carried away to the point of it looking crazy. Thx for sharing.

Very cool, thanks for posting.

Very nice! I've been debating coloring the white portions of my Lamkin grips red, but wasn't sure if I should go with the paint pen or standard permanent Sharpie.

I'm glad you posted the link. I'm going to Michael's this week. I'm thinking I'll do mine in orange maybe.

My wife makes me go with her every time we're in the city, and usually I just go eat Five Guys while she's there. Next time I'll have to go in and get the bright yellow before hitting up 5guys. Awesome idea.

I did the paint fill thing the other night with the Sharpie Paint pen. It was very easy to fill. It did take a littler longer than I had expected because I had to be very careful removing excess that got onto the sole. I used a needle to scrape off the over flow which helped a lot to not get into the numbers at all. Here are a few picks. They do look a little pink though since I used my cell phone to take the pics. I think I may have gone a little overboard on my Clevelend Wedge.
Spoiler
IMG-20120507-00203.jpg
IMG-20120507-00205.jpg
IMG-20120507-00209.jpg
IMG-20120507-00208.jpg

Back