My First Fitting - GolfTec

That's awesome GG, it's pretty amazing what a proper fit can amount to for players of all skill sets. Glad you found whats best for you, now you have the biggest barrier to success with your clubs out of the way - confidence in them.

Another great example of why getting fit is so important. Need to join the whole "practice what you preach" thing myself. Almost want to wait and just try and get to a Golftec location sometime with all the great fitting experiences members have had here.

Also, thanks for the story, love hearing everyone's fitting stories.

I am heading to bed but if you have questions please feel free to ask them and I will answer first thing in the morning.

Good on ya, GG. I had my first ever fitting in January and it's been very beneficial for my game.

That's very cool. I need to get fitted for clubs. My next set I certainly will be. Thanks for sharing that GG and I can't wait for the articles to come out.

Nothing stopping you from getting fitted for the ones you have now. Loft/lie/grip size and shaft are all things that could greatly help, without having to wait until you get 'new' clubs. Sure, shafts aren't a cheap replacement but all of the other fitting-related changes are VERY economical to have done, if necessary. Don't wait - go ahead and get it done!

So is GolfTec the same as the GolfTec in Golfsmith? When you buy irons from them, do they do a Golftec fitting? Or just a fitting by some golfsmith employee?

Awesome results GG! I love reading about other people's fittings after having my own done and its great to see their results. I am a HUGE encourager of clubfittings now that I recently had my first fitting and it sounds like yours was just as successful. So happy for you! Keep up the good work!

On sort of the same lines as Minarets, can this same sort of fitting be done by a GolfTec that is in Golfsmith? Or does it have to be a stand-alone store?

This is awesome, GG. So glad to hear you did this.

GG, like you were, I am afraid of going for a fitting because my swing is too inconsistent. I would imagine that you have had much more practice than I have seeing as how our season has only just started. Would you say that taking lessons and hitting the range many a time before getting a fitting is better than if I were to just walk in right now and get one?

Great story and I hope your clubs exceed your expectation. I sent a buddy to Blind9 today and he is just tickled with his new fitting.

On sort of the same lines as Minarets, can this same sort of fitting be done by a GolfTec that is in Golfsmith? Or does it have to be a stand-alone store?

The Golftec's in Golfsmith offer full service, same as the stand alones.

So is GolfTec the same as the GolfTec in Golfsmith? When you buy irons from them, do they do a Golftec fitting? Or just a fitting by some golfsmith employee?
It's the same, but if you get the free fitting at golfsmith you don't get a Golftec fitting. It's done by a sales guy at Golfsmith.

GG, like you were, I am afraid of going for a fitting because my swing is too inconsistent. I would imagine that you have had much more practice than I have seeing as how our season has only just started. Would you say that taking lessons and hitting the range many a time before getting a fitting is better than if I were to just walk in right now and get one?

My personal feeling, if you are planning on taking lessons, do that before you make a big investment in getting a fitting and ordering new irons. I got fitted for new irons last fall, prior to taking lessons at golftec. They helped my game tremendously right away. But I have made significant changes in all areas of my swing, and they just aren't the right fit anymore. They are far too upright and probably too long. The shafts also don't seem to be a great fit. If you don't see a major swing change in your immediate future, go for it.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't get your current irons fit to you. Just my humble opinion.

Awesome to hear your success GG. My wife found better success with the senior flex too. Must be all the time you girls put in the gym :rockon:

My personal feeling, if you are planning on taking lessons, do that before you make a big investment in getting a fitting and ordering new irons. I got fitted for new irons last fall, prior to taking lessons at golftec. They helped my game tremendously right away. But I have made significant changes in all areas of my swing, and they just aren't the right fit anymore. They are far too upright and probably too long. The shafts also don't seem to be a great fit. If you don't see a major swing change in your immediate future, go for it.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't get your current irons fit to you. Just my humble opinion.

Wake makes some good points, but in the end it's up to you. My swing is still really inconsistent, but I am finally at a point where I am making solid contact with the ball. I used to top a lot of shots, or hit a lot of things thin, but now I am consistently hitting the ball, not necessarily well, but I am making contact, so I felt it was a good time to get fit. After having the fitting, and speaking with the fitter, I do wish I had done this sooner, because I think having the clubs the right length for me would have made a world of difference all on it's own.

Man I do have a bunch of questions GG. I will just ask them as I think of them

Does the fitting have any value if you have a difficult time hitting indoors? I can't seem to hit a good shot indoors for some reason

Does this fitting include a gap analysis?

Will I get 20 extra yards?

How extensive was the shaft selection for drivers?

Man I do have a bunch of questions GG. I will just ask them as I think of them

Does the fitting have any value if you have a difficult time hitting indoors? I can't seem to hit a good shot indoors for some reason

Does this fitting include a gap analysis?

Will I get 20 extra yards?

How extensive was the shaft selection for drivers?

Does the fitting have any value if you have a difficult time hitting indoors? <-- Yes, it definitely does because I have the worst time hitting in doors. You will even see in my videos, that I talk about how I am afraid I am going to hit something in the room. Which by the way, I did, twice. I shanked a ball off my driver and right into the launch monitor, and then I came back in my back swing and hit the camera behind me haha. Apparently, I am not the first person to do this, and I am sure I won't be the last, it's common (at least that's what they told me to make me feel better.) But after a while you forget everything is there, and you get into the grove, and the fact that you are in doors won't bother you at all.

Does this fitting include a gap analysis? <--That is a separate service because its really not part of a fitting. Gap analysis is the idea of making sure you have proper gaps in each club. Not really the same as making sure you are playing the right clubs. Although I am sure if you worked with GolfTEC and wanted both services done, they could help.

Will I get 20 extra yards? <-- Haha, I cannot guarantee you will get 20 extra yards, heck you might even lose some yards, but you will gain consistency, and for me that is far more important. I was fortunate that I was also gaining yards, but that had A LOT to do with the fact that I was playing the wrong shaft, causing my ball flight to be way too low which was robbing me of carry yards, so all I was relying on for distance was roll.

How extensive was the shaft selection for drivers? <--- They have a huge list of clubs and shafts, however, the only shafts they don't have are, as they say, the "exotic" shafts, so don't expect to find a Miyazaki there, but they will have all the usual suspects.

This is cool. I get to go to my first actual "fitting" not done by a demo day person this weekend. Pretty interested to see what they come up with!

Thanks GG. I had a ton of questions last night but now I've forgotten a lot of them. Haha at the LM shank. I hope that is on video! You were like a bull in a china shop lol

Thanks GG. I had a ton of questions last night but now I've forgotten a lot of them. Haha at the LM shank. I hope that is on video! You were like a bull in a china shop lol

Fire away with the questions, whenever you remember them please ask, that is why I am doing this article.

LOL, it was so embarrassing, I totally looked like a bull in a china shop. Then I turned to JB and said, "so this is what Seth felt like at the first outing?" Haha, poor Seth, I feel your pain now!

Great intro write up GG! I'm really glad you enjoyed your fitting. I can't wait to see the pictures and videos. Enjoy placing that order!

Love to see the excitement you have after your trip to GolfTec, GG!

Love to see the excitement you have after your trip to GolfTec, GG!

I woke up this morning and all I could think about was hitting the range to work on the new swing and start choking down on my current clubs, until the new ones come in. Of course I am sore as hell from hitting all those balls yesterday so I hope that doesn't hold me back some haha.

GG- did they mention how frequently one should get fitted? Is it every time you purchase new clubs? Do fitting recommendations have a "shelf life"?

Awesome CG! Can't wait to see the video's and read the articles!!!! Mr.golf4life is always telling me I should get fitted for clubs. Like you, I just figured I would do it when I could actually hold my own on the course. I am reconsidering now... I have taken some lessons at Golftec and they are so super there!

About how long did your fitting take?

GG- did they mention how frequently one should get fitted? Is it every time you purchase new clubs? Do fitting recommendations have a "shelf life"?

If you are buying new clubs, a fitting should take place. They are expensive and for the small cost of the fitting, you can find out not only if they are the right clubs, but what specs they should be done at. Loft, lie, length, flex, etc. Companies do not use the same specs across the board and shaft flex has no standards, so fitting is crucial. We have always preached this, and for the first time yesterday I got to experience it and wow, what a difference it made. As for a shelf life, it really depends on the golfer and what changes they go through.

Awesome CG! Can't wait to see the video's and read the articles!!!! Mr.golf4life is always telling me I should get fitted for clubs. Like you, I just figured I would do it when I could actually hold my own on the course. I am reconsidering now... I have taken some lessons at Golftec and they are so super there!

About how long did your fitting take?

I highly recommend getting the fitting, I know I have said it before but I am going to say it again, I am so mad at myself for waiting this long to do it. It has revitalized my excitement in playing. My fitting was over 3 hours, but part of that was to film things, I would say normally it is about 2 hours.

Back