Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

Jman - You have X-flex C Tapers, no? I softstepped mine once bc 1) Kim at KBS said that's how they are meant to be and 2) the damn :ping: rep had me convinced the X flex C Tapers I was hitting (indoors, mind you) were the stiffest shaft known to man. My 7 iron SS was and avg of 97-98, I'm just hoping they won't be too weak now.

If you have X flex, what is your SS?

I have the X flex CTapers, 6 iron SS was if I remember around 92. Hitting outdoors on a LM they have me the best numbers but I think they are to stiff. I am most likely going to order 1 shaft and soft step. I really think you will be good and probably spot on with doing the soft step.

Tap-in Talking

They actually emailed me right after that tweet went out because they are so pleased with what you guys have done here. You guys should all be really proud of yourselves, you are killing it in this thread!!

That is awesome. I love that PING has gone out of their way to acknowledge THP and the testers!

Jman - You have X-flex C Tapers, no? I softstepped mine once bc 1) Kim at KBS said that's how they are meant to be and 2) the damn :ping: rep had me convinced the X flex C Tapers I was hitting (indoors, mind you) were the stiffest shaft known to man. My 7 iron SS was and avg of 97-98, I'm just hoping they won't be too weak now.

I've got S's in mine. Actual recommendation for me when I first got CT's (back when I had my 2.0's) was S+ soft stepped once, that wasn't an option from PING so I went straight S and absolutely love it as they are stouter than my S300's were.

That is a helluva a day!! Congrats on the baby boy :drinks: (and the irons too, duh)

Hart, sorry to jump in on your post, but check the KBS site. I believe, due to so many requests for soft-stepping and hard-stepping, KBS have introduced stiff+ shafts, which fall in-between stiff and extra stiff, so no need to do any stepping at all. This might suit you?

Jman, i'm taking a leaf out of your book and calling my good round a day before I play it. I'm just feeling it in my bones. I know I have a good round just crying to come out. My i20's are just giving me that confident air, I'm just short of strutting out on the course. If I can keep my driver in check tomorrow I feel like i can post a good score. It's vice-captain's day so no better time for it. I want a 75. I deserve it and i'll cry if i don't......well not really but i'll probably have a little strop on my own during the car drive home.

Jman, i'm taking a leaf out of your book and calling my good round a day before I play it. I'm just feeling it in my bones. I know I have a good round just crying to come out. My i20's are just giving me that confident air, I'm just short of strutting out on the course. If I can keep my driver in check tomorrow I feel like i can post a good score. It's vice-captain's day so no better time for it. I want a 75. I deserve it and i'll cry if i don't......well not really but i'll probably have a little strop on my own during the car drive home.

The beauty of the i20's is that you don't even have to hit driver :)

Good luck man! It's that sort of attitude that breeds good golf.

The beauty of the i20's is that you don't even have to hit driver :)

Good luck man! It's that sort of attitude that breeds good golf.

Thanks TC. Now, if i manage to drive well, chip well, putt well and play my i20's well, I should get a good score :)

Thanks TC. Now, if i manage to drive well, chip well, putt well and play my i20's well, I should get a good score :)

hahaha, that's how it's supposed to work. One thing is for sure, if any of those other things struggle a little, these irons sure are fun to hit.

New member here..

My story.. Have played golf off an on for 20 years.. have not been one to upgrade clubs and have used x-14's for the past 10+ years.. Recently decided to go get fit for new clubs and spend an hour trying different sets.. It the R11, JPX Pro, Adams, Razor X, MP-53, and a few others. Narrowed it down to R11 and MP-53, when the fitter said: "I want you to try one more".. He brought out the Ping I20 and I instantly knew they were the clubs for me. Kept going back and forth and have there was no question these were the ones. Before that Ping was not even a consideration. After fitting for the Lie we decided on the Blue Dot (.75 upright). I also hit it in CFS regular shaft and another shaft that was Stiff (not sure if it was CFS). My SS with the 7Iron was approx 78-79.. I bought the 4-PW on the spot.

Now my issue.. There is a lot of talk about different shafts here. When I was getting fitted I was so focused on the choice of clubs, I dont think I spent enought time on the specifics of the shaft. On the X-14 I was hitting the Uniflex shaft and I always had a very, very low flight path.. I thought it was my swing, but after hitting the CFS Regular I was getting significantly more height while maintaining (or even gettin more) distance which I was looking for. I did try the stiffer shaft during the session, but the extra weight did not feel comfortable to me.

I am expecting my clubs to arrive within the week.. My question is now, how do I determine if these are truly the shafts for me? What should I be looking for when playing them? or should I go back and use the Mizuno Shaft tool to get indication I purchased the correct ones? My shop does have a 45 Day playability gaurantee..

I would get them out on the course and gets some real results under your belt. There's nothing wrong with a higher ball flight, as long as it's not so high that you're robbing yourself of distance. It's nice to have that 45 day playability gaurantee, that's for sure. I would go out with ubber confidence in them before you start shaft pondering.

I would get them out on the course and gets some real results under your belt. There's nothing wrong with a higher ball flight, as long as it's not so high that you're robbing yourself of distance. It's nice to have that 45 day playability gaurantee, that's for sure. I would go out with ubber confidence in them before you start shaft pondering.

TC nailed it IMO, get em outside and see the real world results before you get too concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the X flex CTapers, 6 iron SS was if I remember around 92. Hitting outdoors on a LM they have me the best numbers but I think they are to stiff. I am most likely going to order 1 shaft and soft step. I really think you will be good and probably spot on with doing the soft step.

Tap-in Talking

Thank you, Vince. That is great feedback for me. I am a tad bit higher in the SS category, but like you, I feel like the X's were a bit boardy (based on my limited experience with them off the mats). For the same amount of change I would get in numbers, the feel benefit would more than make up - good trade off imo.

I've got S's in mine. Actual recommendation for me when I first got CT's (back when I had my 2.0's) was S+ soft stepped once, that wasn't an option from PING so I went straight S and absolutely love it as they are stouter than my S300's were.

Very nice, thanks for following up. I actually went to page 1 to rewatch your videos after that post, I just forgot to update my post to tell you that I had my answer. Glad they are working so well for you, I hope mine will do the same.

Hart, sorry to jump in on your post, but check the KBS site. I believe, due to so many requests for soft-stepping and hard-stepping, KBS have introduced stiff+ shafts, which fall in-between stiff and extra stiff, so no need to do any stepping at all. This might suit you?

Thanks for the info paleface. I will look into the numbers regarding the S+ and a soft stepped X, and see if there is any difference in frequency of the shaft. I know S is 6.3, S+ is 6,8, and X is 7.3.

Does anyone with vast knowledge on the subject know approx. where the X soft step would land me?

Went to Ping fitting at Golfsmith last night, and would like to share my experience, and solicit some advice. As a recent newcomer to the THC, my story is straightfoward...been away from golf 25+ years and now enjoying getting back into the game...currently using a friend's old set of TM Burners and have played appx 12 rounds with them on challenging courses...have spent considerable time at the range working to regain my swing...playing in mid 90's over the 12 rounds, with some really good pars and occasional birdies, and then the blow up holes, plus poor putting (though that is improving as I play more).

I've been semi-fitted on the floor at several golfsmiths and golfmarts with mizzy optimizer and the launch monitor...the constants have been reg or stiff CFS shaft (though I do like the KBS regular at times), black dot lie, standard length. All say my swing is good with i20 7i-135-140 carry with reg flex, 140-145 carry stiff flex...150 carry ith RBS Tour shafts (but less consistency)...

So back to the Ping fitting last night...fitter agreed with Black Dot lie, and after about 10 swings with the i20 7i, he changed shaft from standard to +1/2"because I was hitting too much on the toe (my static measurements indicate standard length shaft)...that completely confused me, because over the last two months no one had suggested increasing the shaft length. Have to admit that I hit the ball well, but was simply stunned by the change. Then it gets even more confusing for me...Ping fitter hands me an S56 and has me hit a dozen shots, and they felt good. The fitter's rationale was that I was a "picker" rather than a "digger" and that with my swing I did not need the wide sole which the i20 has, to go with the thinner sole and blade on the s56. When I stated that the S56 was a blade, the fitter explained that that is a misnomer, that the S56 is actually quite forgiving. The fitter seemed very confident that the S56 was a better choice for me than the i20, and no matter what club I use, I need the +1/2" shaft increase, and also the stiff flex (he stressed playing the strongest flex I possibly could handle). When I inquired about the RBS shaft, he let me hit it for about three shots and said that was not the shaft for me.

Talk about being confused...totally caught off guard by the fitter's recommendation, because I was honing in on the i20.

So today's a new day, but woke up still confused and off balance with the fitter's recommendation. Guess I'll go back to golfsmith today and hit both clubs, try the +1/2" shaft, and see what I can make of the madness. My journey in trying to get back into the game has become very challenging. But I really need to get my own clubs so I can really start tweaking/enjoying the game.

None the less, I'm still leaning towards the i20 clubs, just don't think I can handle the S56 blade at this point in my game.

My bigger concern is the recommendation to go with +1/2" shaft increase even though my static measurements indicate standard shaft length. I do have a very upright stance, which has always been the case for me even when I was playing several times a week back in my 30's and 40's. Has anyone else been measured out to standard shaft length and found they need to increase (or decrease) the shaft length?

Has anyone started with i20 and then gone to S56 clubs recently, or vice versa?

Thanks Jman and TC.. will take the advice.

Will provide an update once I they come in and I am able to play a round.. Looking forward to it..

Went to Ping fitting at Golfsmith last night, and would like to share my experience, and solicit some advice. As a recent newcomer to the THC, my story is straightfoward...been away from golf 25+ years and now enjoying getting back into the game...currently using a friend's old set of TM Burners and have played appx 12 rounds with them on challenging courses...have spent considerable time at the range working to regain my swing...playing in mid 90's over the 12 rounds, with some really good pars and occasional birdies, and then the blow up holes, plus poor putting (though that is improving as I play more).

I've been semi-fitted on the floor at several golfsmiths and golfmarts with mizzy optimizer and the launch monitor...the constants have been reg or stiff CFS shaft (though I do like the KBS regular at times), black dot lie, standard length. All say my swing is good with i20 7i-135-140 carry with reg flex, 140-145 carry stiff flex...150 carry ith RBS Tour shafts (but less consistency)...

So back to the Ping fitting last night...fitter agreed with Black Dot lie, and after about 10 swings with the i20 7i, he changed shaft from standard to +1/2"because I was hitting too much on the toe (my static measurements indicate standard length shaft)...that completely confused me, because over the last two months no one had suggested increasing the shaft length. Have to admit that I hit the ball well, but was simply stunned by the change. Then it gets even more confusing for me...Ping fitter hands me an S56 and has me hit a dozen shots, and they felt good. The fitter's rationale was that I was a "picker" rather than a "digger" and that with my swing I did not need the wide sole which the i20 has, to go with the thinner sole and blade on the s56. When I stated that the S56 was a blade, the fitter explained that that is a misnomer, that the S56 is actually quite forgiving. The fitter seemed very confident that the S56 was a better choice for me than the i20, and no matter what club I use, I need the +1/2" shaft increase, and also the stiff flex (he stressed playing the strongest flex I possibly could handle). When I inquired about the RBS shaft, he let me hit it for about three shots and said that was not the shaft for me.

Talk about being confused...totally caught off guard by the fitter's recommendation, because I was honing in on the i20.

So today's a new day, but woke up still confused and off balance with the fitter's recommendation. Guess I'll go back to golfsmith today and hit both clubs, try the +1/2" shaft, and see what I can make of the madness. My journey in trying to get back into the game has become very challenging. But I really need to get my own clubs so I can really start tweaking/enjoying the game.

None the less, I'm still leaning towards the i20 clubs, just don't think I can handle the S56 blade at this point in my game.

My bigger concern is the recommendation to go with +1/2" shaft increase even though my static measurements indicate standard shaft length. I do have a very upright stance, which has always been the case for me even when I was playing several times a week back in my 30's and 40's. Has anyone else been measured out to standard shaft length and found they need to increase (or decrease) the shaft length?

Id have a hard time agreeing with the idea of going with the S56 over the i20 but Im no fitter. Most everyone in this thread has found the i20 irons to be a fantastic set for golfers of all skill levels and tendencies. I guess its going to be up to you in the end. Hit them both as much as you can and go with what works best. Big fan of the stock CFS shaft too, think its a wonderful shaft.

I'm a sweeper/picker not a digger and I have the i20's. Ironically, I take more of a divot now with them than anything I've onwed in the past. I'm not sure what to make of the experience you just went through Newelli. I wonder if that guy has a nice spiff on S56 irons or something? I'd be a little cautious about that, maybe even cautious enough to seek out someone else, you know, for a different opinion.

Newelli - If you are really worried about it, special order some i20's with the tour grind! That should be good for a sweeper but have more forgiveness than the S56.

The S56 is not as forgiving as the i20. When I was fitting at the Ping demo day, I swung a S56 with my dot color while waiting for the i20 head to free up. I liked it a lot, and hit it well, but when I missed a little it was no where near as forgiving at the i20's were with similar swings/misses. To me, the feel on solid shots were very comparable.

If you don't feel comfortable jumping to the +1/2", hedge the bet with a +1/4" - I static fit for +1/2", liked the std length the most live (bc it is what I've always hit and am comfortable with), but if I miss...I miss on the toe. To boot, the i20's are more forgiving on toe misses than heel, so I hedged the bet with a +1/4" to help with my toe miss but not overshoot and move my miss to the heel...if necessary, I can choke the 1/4" off with no issue.

I wouldn't worry about the "sole width" on the i20's because "you're a sweeper".

Sounds like the rep wasn't the most knowledgeable, go through another fitting for your piece of mind if possible.

I'm a sweeper/picker not a digger and I have the i20's. Ironically, I take more of a divot now with them than anything I've onwed in the past. I'm not sure what to make of the experience you just went through Newelli. I wonder if that guy has a nice spiff on S56 irons or something? I'd be a little cautious about that, maybe even cautious enough to seek out someone else, you know, for a different opinion.

I wondered the same thing about a spiff or something. Must be some kind of kickback to recommend them over the i20's.

OMG! I have been waiting for my i20's to arrive and hadn't heard anything or received any email on their status. I had given up hope that they weren't going to arrive on the date that the factory had originally quoted when the order was placed. Then like a miracle, I get the tracking number and the clubs are on a truck right now for delivery today! I wonder if PING likes to do that on purpose to get you all excited. Have to admit I almost went full-chub when I saw that the irons were on the truck for delivery today.

OMG! I have been waiting for my i20's to arrive and hadn't heard anything or received any email on their status. I had given up hope that they weren't going to arrive on the date that the factory had originally quoted when the order was placed. Then like a miracle, I get the tracking number and the clubs are on a truck right now for delivery today! I wonder if PING likes to do that on purpose to get you all excited. Have to admit I almost went full-chub when I saw that the irons were on the truck for delivery today.

Thats hilarious lol. Enjoy the new sticks.

Hope to join the "waiting for i20 delivery" club tomorrow. Multi-vendor demo day at my club, and my instructor will be there to participate in the fitting. Stoked

Newelli, I started by hitting the S56 several weeks before discovering the i20 because I really wanted to challenge myself with a blade-type club. I found it to be super sweet when hit properly and significantly harsher in feedback and results when mishit. I'd say the S56 is a fantastic club for those with a consistent, well-honed swing. I loved hitting the 6 iron but when I addressed a 4 my knees started to quake. Didn't give me a lot of confidence. Had the chance to test the i20 a few weeks later and wasn't thrown off by the 5 or the 4. I ordered a set with a 3i.

Like you, I had a questionable fitting at the start and re-did it. Second try was much better and made more sense. I'd go for it again and see what you get from a different fitter. I expect you'll find the right combination with another go.

Hi everyone,

First time poster here. I am a low handicap player (used to be a plus 1 when I was a junior, fluctuate between 3-5 now) and have played the Mizuno MP30 irons for the past 8 years. For the past 6 years my playing time has diminished to an average of 15 rounds per year and this year I expect it to be an all time low of around 10 as I have a new born baby that takes up most of my time. I'm not hitting the ball like I used to (yes it is still very good, but in relative terms it's not what I am used to), so need to move to a more forgiving iron than the mp30. This thread definitely gave me the confidence to go to a demo day and try them for myself.

All I can say is wow! I have always played a blade/shallow cavity and was concerned going to a ping with the added sole thickness, offset and non forged design. Boy was I wrong. They felt very close to the feel of a forged club, the turf interaction was incredible and did not play like a thicker sole, mishits were considerably better (the reason I want this set) and I was able to hit the ball high or low, fade or draw with ease.

I'm definitely going to be picking up a set of these so that I can enjoy the few rounds that I do get to play. Cannot wait to get them!!

Thanks for all the incredible info in this thread as it definitely pointed me in the right direction

FB (forgedblade)

Well I blew my cash wad that I had dug up from a coffee can in the back yard on a 4 wedge set of 588's AND I am having my KBS custom's installed in my Z-Star's so my i20 lust/stalking/pondering shall continue for a while longer. I still daydream about the shots I hit at the Ping demo day. I sirs, will continue to follow this thread and live through your rounds vicariously. Carry on...

Back