Sand Saves - Your Game

generally if I'm in a bunker that's even reasonably well kept, I do fine, and have hit some spectacular shots out. I think that's because I also love to hit flop shots so much.

unfortunately, seems as though a number of courses around here have no idea what sand bunker maintenance is, and you end up with a bunker that's essentially a layer of sand 2 grains thick on top of concrete. I'll be honest, as much as I want to hit out of those, I'll actually remove the ball from that. It's impossible to play the shot you need to, and it's readily agreed upon by my playing partners.

I was told that if the bunker is all hard packed it is allowable to lift, rake and replace. Is that true or just a friendly game option.

Friendly game option.

Thanks Smalls... I kinda figured, but thought I'd make sure.

1/3 yesterday. Course was wet and sand was packed pretty good. Only got 2/3 on the green out of the bunker but it was nice to get up and down at least once.

to be honest, mine is probably around 0. my sand game is really good. i have a stance/swing that i use in the trap that i havn't seen anyone except my dad use (because he tought me it), i'm surprised more people don't do it.
i stand with my legs really bent, weight very far forward, aim 30° or so open, but keep the club head WAY open. cock your wrists early, power through, and don't slide. if the ball is majorly plugged, do exactly the same, but aim square, close the club way down, and chop down on it hard. both swings, try to hit the sand 1" behind the ball.

I think this is similar to what Phil Mickelson does. I'd post a link to YouTube but I can't post it yet since i don't have enough posts!
Just search for Phil Mickelson Short Game

Three more rounds in, and I went 0-0, 1-1, and 0-1. So now I have 12.5 of 20 rounds, and the count is now 6 saves in 11 chances, still hanging around that 55% success rate. The big surprise to me isn't so much my success rate, but the relative rarity that I am in greenside bunkers, less than once per round thru this test period. On the day I converted the one chance, I was within 3 inches of holing it. Today I had a relatively easy chance, and just didn't quite get thru the ball and left it 18 feet short and failed to hole the par putt.

Two more rounds, one more failed chance.

14.5 rounds
12 greenside bunkers
6 sand saves
50% success

I just started following this thread a week or so before I went on vacation. Since then I played two rounds before vaca and hit 0 bunkers. I hit two in one round this weekend and went 2/2. Both were fairly close (within 20 feet) of the hole and with perfect lies so not to much of an indicator. Will love to follow up on this one.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Two more rounds, one more failed chance.

14.5 rounds
12 greenside bunkers
6 sand saves
50% success

This round was noteworthy because I hit into three greenside bunkers, and caught perfect lies in all three the day after Beryl soaked the course. The first two were similar uphill outs to pins atop ridges - both times I flew it right beside the pin and fell away to the far fringes. Either would have worked well hit a yard less. The third was far more difficult, hitting from a deep bunker to a rear pin well uphill, probably a 35 yard blast. That's the one I nearly holed out and left a few inches behind the hole. So for the day, 1 for 3 on sand saves.

15.5 rounds
15 greenside bunkers
7 saves
47% success

When I played on Friday, I was in one "greenside" bunker. That's in quotes because the bunker was about 25-30 yards away from the green. I managed to knock it out to about 4 feet and nail the putt for par. So that's 1/1 on the day. Next time out I'll keep track again.

One for one today, birdie on a par 5.

15.5 rounds
15 greenside bunkers
7 saves
47% success

Another round in, another save - on the par 5 16th the wind stopped my wedge approach and dropped it into the fringe, and it rolled back into the bunker. I caught a great lie, and popped out nicely to about 7 or 8 feet below the hole, and rammed home the save.

16.5 rounds
16 greenside bunkers
8 saves
50% success

Amazing to think about it this way. Very rarely do I get sand save, when I do I consider it a shot saved. Generally if I get it on the green and 2 putt I'm ok with it. Definitely don't spend enough time practicing this like I should.

I also just found this thread. I came to Florida to close on a house this week. So far, I have played one round of golf.. I guess I have seen something I don't see at my local courses.. REAL SAND!!! It is SO much easier to hit out of these bunkers! Home in NY, I do well out of the "bunkers".. In these bunkers, it is SO much easier!

I was 2 for 2 today. I can tell you there is no comparison to what we have locally..

You southerners have it good!!

:drinks:

I had one over the weekend. Brings my percentage to something like .001%. Nowhere to go but up lol.

I had one over the weekend. Brings my percentage to something like .001%. Nowhere to go but up lol.

lol I was 0-1 this weekend, barely missed the putt. I just stopped keeping track. New strategy, don't hit in the bunkers

maybe 2%? haha

With my handicap i'm pretty happy if i get it on the putting surface in 1 stroke and 2 putt it down, neither crashing into the side nor stopping in the rough OR shooting it over the green. Even with chips/pitches outside of bunkers i just don't reliably get it into 1 putt positions.
But i must say i have picked up a lot of confidence since i started watching pga events online, and adjusted to what i saw. I went from "Take a full whack at the sand and pray" (Full swing with open clubhead, sand before ball) to making much smoother chip/pitch/flop like strokes, and had way better results with it.

lol I was 0-1 this weekend, barely missed the putt. I just stopped keeping track. New strategy, don't hit in the bunkers

No doubt. I was getting out of them at least. Now to figure out how to get them in that 48 inch gimme range :)

No doubt. I was getting out of them at least. Now to figure out how to get them in that 48 inch gimme range :)

you should play with War Eagle and myself, we offer good-good from bunkers.

you should play with War Eagle and myself, we offer good-good from bunkers.

Exactly what Deano said, good/good from the bunker is where it's at.

Two more rounds, one with no chances from greenside bunkers a month ago, and today 1 out of two converted. The first one today was greenside, but lo-o-o-n-n-n-g-g-g - pin in back, maybe 35 yards - I failed to get close, but nearly made a 30 footer. The second one was very standard, maybe 10 yards, and I nearly holed it.

18.5 rounds
18 greenside bunkers
9 saves
50% success

I am getting close finally to that 20 round mark, but it might hold here a while until my hip issues are resolved.

The sand on the back nine is so hard packed, I putted out. I was in the rough, and putted again. It went in the hole for an amazing sand save.

Before reading this I'd say somewhere between 10 to 15%. Now I'd be really scared to find out the truth! :sad:

Those stats are astonishing man, I would have thought the tour players would be much higher. Before reading your post I would have said I was around 50%, after reading your post and checking some old scorecards I'm at 10.5%. It's funny how we think something without giving a ton of thought only to be corrected by fact. Wow..

0/1 again yesterday. I am getting out everytime but usually ending up well short of the pin and missing the putt. I think I need to try a less lofted club and seewhat happens because I like the stroke I am putting on the ball.

Back