Trying to Break Par Thread

You know, something I find helpful is this. I know I score watch. It doesnt help that I have an app for that that constantly reminds me of my position (golfshot...a must for anyone with an iPhone), but it doesn't really hurt me. I know when it's tanking. This happens and it's unnerving, but usually when it gets darkest, I snatch about 3-4 pars in a row and it's all good. What has really changed my scoring in the last 18 months (hard to believe it's been only bout that long since I broke 80...now it's almost every time) is one thing, make the game boring. I don't get excited for birdie unless its just goofy (like the 45 footer I drained on Tuesday). I don't get steamy over bogey (though i was pretty hot after the double on 14 to go from even to to two over). I just let it go, breath, and on the next tee, imagine the correct shot for the sitch and execute. Not try to execute, execute. Takes some getting used to, but it works. The more you worry about the down stuff, the more you stop playing golf and the more you start playing golf swing, and once your playing golf swing....well, ask Tiger. Perfect example, I played eighteen two weeks ago with a dude who was clearly a 12-14 capper. He was all over his swing stuff for nine holes and promptly droPped a 45 doing all kinds of wierd shiz. We lost our partner (who frankly wasnt helping dude out at all) and as we got to 10, he politely asked where I was. I told him I was at +3 and I was frankly lucky considering I wasn't flushing them. He took a second and, without trying to seem to inquisitive, asked me how I kept score and didn't get sacked about bad holes. I said "why would I? There is always the next hole". For the next 5 holes he played me even (which was ironically even). He was blowing right down the middle, hitting greens, putting without thought, and so on. Then, it all came apart on 15 (pulled his shot way left on 186 par 3...so far he was dry but had to hit over a pond). Couldn't let it go forthe next three holes. We come up on the tee at 18 (short par five, can't go driver, but to get he is 3w 3w, I eagle this thing about twice a month). He looks defected, he's all over his swing, he taking practice shot after practice shot, and I say "you know, you birdie this, you shoot 39...". He looks at me like I just jinxed him (it was his box, I doubled on 17 going wet with a two putt) and tells me that's too ambitious. I say "bull, you got the game, put a good swing on the driver, lay up, and then put it to nothing and shoot 39. All you need to think about". He does it. He has played with me twice since, and shot a personal best on top of my 76 last Thursday (81, he bought me beers). Serendipity, it works if you let it.

I know there's a break 90, 85, 80, and I think there might even be a break 70 thread, but I don't want to do any of that.

I have been sitting at or around par countless times in the last couple weeks and I can't break par. There's always one hole that ruins my hole, and I cannot seem to avoid it..

Anyone else hunting for par? My last three rounds have been +1, +1, and +2 heading into 17 and I just flat out cannot close out my round strong.. Admittedly the last couple holes at my course are dirty hard, but I wish I could make it happen. It's been a long time since I played a round under par.

It'll come. As long as you're knocking on the door, it'll open eventually.

You know, something I find helpful is this. I know I score watch. It doesnt help that I have an app for that that constantly reminds me of my position (golfshot...a must for anyone with an iPhone), but it doesn't really hurt me. I know when it's tanking. This happens and it's unnerving, but usually when it gets darkest, I snatch about 3-4 pars in a row and it's all good. What has really changed my scoring in the last 18 months (hard to believe it's been only bout that long since I broke 80...now it's almost every time) is one thing, make the game boring. I don't get excited for birdie unless its just goofy (like the 45 footer I drained on Tuesday). I don't get steamy over bogey (though i was pretty hot after the double on 14 to go from even to to two over). I just let it go, breath, and on the next tee, imagine the correct shot for the sitch and execute. Not try to execute, execute. Takes some getting used to, but it works. The more you worry about the down stuff, the more you stop playing golf and the more you start playing golf swing, and once your playing golf swing....well, ask Tiger. Perfect example, I played eighteen two weeks ago with a dude who was clearly a 12-14 capper. He was all over his swing stuff for nine holes and promptly droPped a 45 doing all kinds of wierd shiz. We lost our partner (who frankly wasnt helping dude out at all) and as we got to 10, he politely asked where I was. I told him I was at +3 and I was frankly lucky considering I wasn't flushing them. He took a second and, without trying to seem to inquisitive, asked me how I kept score and didn't get sacked about bad holes. I said "why would I? There is always the next hole". For the next 5 holes he played me even (which was ironically even). He was blowing right down the middle, hitting greens, putting without thought, and so on. Then, it all came apart on 15 (pulled his shot way left on 186 par 3...so far he was dry but had to hit over a pond). Couldn't let it go forthe next three holes. We come up on the tee at 18 (short par five, can't go driver, but to get he is 3w 3w, I eagle this thing about twice a month). He looks defected, he's all over his swing, he taking practice shot after practice shot, and I say "you know, you birdie this, you shoot 39...". He looks at me like I just jinxed him (it was his box, I doubled on 17 going wet with a two putt) and tells me that's too ambitious. I say "bull, you got the game, put a good swing on the driver, lay up, and then put it to nothing and shoot 39. All you need to think about". He does it. He has played with me twice since, and shot a personal best on top of my 76 last Thursday (81, he bought me beers). Serendipity, it works if you let it.

I think having a positive attitude when things go wrong is contagious, and it sounds like this guy had learned a lot from you and you have made a friend for life, haha. I started playing regularly this year after more or less walking away from the game for 12 years and when I was younger and playing competitive golf all the time, I would get so mad at myself for hitting a bad shot or having a bad hole that it would be all downhill from there and I essentially allowed a bad hole to ruin my round. Not being to shake off a bad hole took the fun out of the game. Now that I've come back to the game, hopefully having gained some perspective through other life experiences, I've found that it's not the end of the world when things go wrong on the golf course. When I hit a bad shot now, I use it as an opportunity to challenge myself to hit the next shot that much better and move on from there. When I make a bogey or worse, while it's disappointing, I relish the opportunity to make a bounce-back birdie on the next hole and find that I am actually excited and ready to make up for it on the next hole. Anyway, I guess all I'm trying to say is that I can relate to you and your buddy and that staying positive and letting things go when you're not playing as well as you would like makes the game so much more fun.

In relation to the thread title, I haven't broken par since getting back into the game even though I've had a two rounds of par (with a birdie and eagle on 18) and a decent number of 1,2,3 over par. I probably don't play or practice enough to have reasonable expectations of breaking par, but a boy has to dream. Anywho, I thought it was in the cards for me today. I could taste it. :drinks: I was back in my hometown, on my home course, which is short and immaculate (ideal par breaking conditions :banana:) and it was just my Dad and I. I played the front nine even, with six pars, two birdies, and a double on the easiest hole on the course. I made par on 10 and 11, which usually cause me problems and then my back, which had been bothering me all round, finally crapped out on me. :violin:I couldn't finish my swing and was having a hard time bending over to tee it up. I probably should have walked in, but it was such a great day to be outside and I hadn't played 18 in a couple of weeks, I just toughed it out. I ended up shooting three over, which for as much pain I was in, wasn't that bad. I'm not saying I would have broken par if my back hadn't seized up on me, but I can usually play 12-18 under par and I haven't been at even par or better that late in a round since coming back to the game. The times I've shot even or one over, I have finished strong. It would have been a fun and nerve-racking to have been even or under par going into the last few holes. I'm hoping I can get out and play tomorrow, but it's not looking good right now. :violin:I feel your pain, Canadan. We'll be breaking par soon enough. Sorry for the longest post ever.

Last edited:
This is a great read and I can see how much the mental aspect plays into it. However that being said, I will stay out of this thread as I am no where near this accomplishment ( even though it is one of mine someday)

This is a great read and I can see how much the mental aspect plays into it. However that being said, I will stay out of this thread as I am no where near this accomplishment ( even though it is one of mine someday)

Trying to par is no different from trying to break 80 or 90 or whatever, so any input or experiences you have are welcome. And feel free to put me or anyone else in their place when we are complaining about not breaking par.

Totally agree spocili. There are walls in this game, and most of them are self imposed. I can remember like it was last week the first time I broke 100, 90, 80, and so on. It's sorta like that first time you figure out how to cook a good steak. Or the first time you kiss a girl. It's all just about diving in. I know it's going to happen, right now it's getting rid of that one moment where you lose a shot you really really shouldn't have. For me last round it was being cocky and trying to hook a driver around a tree when all it needed was a shot to the right and I would be wide open. Or getting to cute trying to stop a shot with a fade when all it needed was a shot anywhere and a two putt. I'm not bubba watson, I'm chapity, and going for it isn't my thing. Smart, conservative and flush contact gets me 4 birdies, 10 pars and hand full of bogies a round. Get rid of the bogies and there you go.

Did it!!!!!!!! 68 today, for a new personal best and a big yeehaw and pinnacle gold thrown in the creek. Hells yeah!!!!!

awesome Chap!! That's a fantastic score.

I also managed to break par for the first time in 6 years this weekend. (-2) 70. Got the ball all taped up with the score until I beat it haha!

Congrats again dude. What a feeling!

Congrats to you both! I was close the other day with a 71. I didn't let myself get all worked up after being 4 over through 5. And finished with 4 birdies and bogey on the last 13 holes. Mu mental game has certainly gotten stronger and I've found knowing the front/middle/back yardages is allowing me to dial in my approach shots much better. But I think the biggest factor has been my mental game. I really urge people to read the Dr. Bob Rotella books and then put his practices in to play. Has made a big difference is my game... I feel that sub-par round is right around the corner.

Congrats to you both! I was close the other day with a 71. I didn't let myself get all worked up after being 4 over through 5. And finished with 4 birdies and bogey on the last 13 holes. Mu mental game has certainly gotten stronger and I've found knowing the front/middle/back yardages is allowing me to dial in my approach shots much better. But I think the biggest factor has been my mental game. I really urge people to read the Dr. Bob Rotella books and then put his practices in to play. Has made a big difference is my game... I feel that sub-par round is right around the corner.

I bet you nab it within a month dude.. Can't wait to hear about it too!

I know there's a break 90, 85, 80, and I think there might even be a break 70 thread, but I don't want to do any of that.

I have been sitting at or around par countless times in the last couple weeks and I can't break par. There's always one hole that ruins my hole, and I cannot seem to avoid it..

Anyone else hunting for par? My last three rounds have been +1, +1, and +2 heading into 17 and I just flat out cannot close out my round strong.. Admittedly the last couple holes at my course are dirty hard, but I wish I could make it happen. It's been a long time since I played a round under par.

Wish I had your problem.

Indeed again, congrats Canadan! I feel like I could be hovering around this thread in a few years.. Hope to see others come and go in here as well when they hit the milestone!

Congrats to Chapity and Canadan! Now you're gonna have to work on breaking par on a regular basis. It never ends. haha

Getting under par is a special accomplishment, congrats boys! Once you break the seal, it starts to flow

Congrats guys. So jealous. I know I'm close just need that round that it clicks.

Thanks to all. It's weird how when you get the confidence it just pulls you along. I know for a fact that it's all in my putting right now. 24 putts is just stupid....really really stupid, but being in position alot makes the wheel go round. For what it's worth to those of you who haven't made it yet, trust me, it can happen if you let it. 18 months ago I would have never ever believed that I had either the game or the equipment to make it happen, but if you can get the time in, the confidence in your game comes with it. Shot 76 yesterday and couldnt get the putts I needed to get there, but 76 is really where I am right now. Good luck to all, and may your putts find the bottom.

Congrats guys, that's awesome! Allot of hard work and dedication brings results..

Did it!!!!!!!! 68 today, for a new personal best and a big yeehaw and pinnacle gold thrown in the creek. Hells yeah!!!!!

awesome Chap!! That's a fantastic score.

I also managed to break par for the first time in 6 years this weekend. (-2) 70. Got the ball all taped up with the score until I beat it haha!

Congrats again dude. What a feeling!

Very nice boys! Great feeling!

I have been as much as 2 or 3 under during a round and then managed to blow up on some of the last few holes. I think it might be a fitness issue for me. It may not feel like it at the time in the heat of battle but just getting the least bit tired will change everything at the end of a round. That is about the only time I will rush and miss easy putts, shank a wedge or flub a chip. It is that little bit of concentration lost at that point due to being a little bit off.

I have been as much as 2 or 3 under during a round and then managed to blow up on some of the last few holes. I think it might be a fitness issue for me. It may not feel like it at the time in the heat of battle but just getting the least bit tired will change everything at the end of a round. That is about the only time I will rush and miss easy putts, shank a wedge or flub a chip. It is that little bit of concentration lost at that point due to being a little bit off.

I think it definitely comes down to a concentration thing when you are trying to break par, because the margin for error is so small (unless you are complete stud). I find that sometimes on the back nine my mind begins to wander and I lose my concentration like you. I've found that taking just a little more time over the ball and actually thinking about what I'm doing and what my goal is can make a big difference between hitting a good versus a bad shot.

Trying to Break Par Club

Trying to Break Par Club

I'm not gonna be attempting this for a while, but for those who are, here's a thread to talk about your victories and disappointments.

Sorry, guess i's ben a while since a post. Never saw it. Sorry...

S'all good. The search feature can be temperamental at times. I believe it was started by our Canadan as well!

Back