The Official Rant of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sometimes really fear the next generation. Its not right to do so, and certainly not an exclusive thought, but sometimes technology and the world at your fingertips leads to some "questionable" thoughts.

I fear for them. So much of their social skill and identity is tied to their phone. Our babysitter and her friend were sitting in the backseat of my car texting each other instead of talking for the whole time that I was driving them home.

On a sidenote, how's your back JB?

(And yes I'm aware of a certain amount of irony in this post)

Dang Smally, what did I miss?

I was wondering that too..is there something new and kewl that I haven't hearn yet?

Its funny how these words creep into your everyday vocabulary....oh crap this is the rant thread isn't it????

eh,,,,uh.,....okay, got it....The idiot neighbor woke me up this morning with a weedeater at 7am...the only people that run a weedeater at 7am usually don't speak english!

Whew! Saved it!

I fear for them. So much of their social skill and identity is tied to their phone. Our babysitter and her friend were sitting in the backseat of my car texting each other instead of talking for the whole time that I was driving them home.

On a sidenote, how's your back JB?

(And yes I'm aware of a certain amount of irony in this post)

The back is rough.
I had a talk with a very wise man recently and he said something that stuck. The idea that youth needs elders to learn is lost now, because rather than learn from experience, they choose Google and Wikipedia. THere is something very wrong with that. Technology can be a great tool when used properly. It can also be a huge detriment when its "instead of".

I sometimes really fear the next generation. Its not right to do so, and certainly not an exclusive thought, but sometimes technology and the world at your fingertips leads to some "questionable" thoughts.

Did I miss something here? Or is this a general statement?

ummmmm....it's a rant....see the title of the thread....geez

I agree JB. I remember my College days and being on campus and having the social time of my life. Go on a campus now and everyone's either a) listening to ipod, b) talking on a phone c) not living on campus. We're seeing a generation of social retardedness being made.

Luckily I don't try to put myself in that generalization for this generation. Yes technology is good but it has become the norm and won't be changing back. I love having the world at my fingertips but some people just take it too far

I agree JB. I remember my College days and being on campus and having the social time of my life. Go on a campus now and everyone's either a) listening to ipod, b) talking on a phone c) not living on campus. We're seeing a generation of social retardedness being made.

I meet it face to face at work every day dude.

I even bluntly tell my government classes that I fear for the future because of the way they act, interact, behave, feel entitled, etc.. Its a fact.

I meet it face to face at work every day dude.

I even bluntly tell my government classes that I fear for the future because of the way they act, interact, behave, feel entitled, etc.. Its a fact.

The future scares the crap out of me. No one socializes any more. Hell, 50% or more of today's marriages are b/c of online dating sites. Whatever happened to putting yourself out there? It's unreal. It's one of the things I love about the South, there's still that level of hospitality that can only be found here. I swear it.

The future scares the crap out of me. No one socializes any more. Hell, 50% or more of today's marriages are b/c of online dating sites. Whatever happened to putting yourself out there? It's unreal.

I blame beer on that. I mean do you know how many ugly children were born because of drinks and the phrase last call? :alien:

The future scares the crap out of me. No one socializes any more. Hell, 50% or more of today's marriages are b/c of online dating sites. Whatever happened to putting yourself out there? It's unreal. It's one of the things I love about the South, there's still that level of hospitality that can only be found here. I swear it.

Its the same here with the hospitality dude. It does still exist and the social people do still exist. But I can also see the encroachment of you that simply cannot to so because they are unwilling or just don't know how. Sad.

I blame beer on that. I mean do you know how many ugly children were born because of drinks and the phrase last call? :alien:

It's never beer's fault JB. I just find it interesting. America's youth is so bizarre to me. They have zero experience but think they do. The level of respect given to their elders is laughable. I was raised so differently. Times are a changin'

Its the same here with the hospitality dude. It does still exist and the social people do still exist. But I can also see the encroachment of you that simply cannot to so because they are unwilling or just don't know how. Sad.

I think that's exactly what it is. Kids today are all winners. Just for showing up. You don't even have to participate or excel, just show up. It's so dumb.

It's never beer's fault JB. I just find it interesting. America's youth is so bizarre to me. They have zero experience but think they do. The level of respect given to their elders is laughable. I was raised so differently. Times are a changin'

Because they feel as though they dont need their elders. All the knowledge they need can be found by typing and searching. Now obviously this is a generalization and not an entire category of ages are the same, but I do fear it. I fear the likes and dislikes of the youth. I fear their social abilities. I don't think its about "back in my day i had it harder", because that is not what I mean by all of this. However just interacting with people like we do when we do equipment clinics and knowledge stuff here locally (I dont put that out here), its staggering to me what is missing.

I think that's exactly what it is. Kids today are all winners. Just for showing up. You don't even have to participate or excel, just show up. It's so dumb.

Here is your ribbon for participating in this thread TC

a20791d127d49c9f664687_m.JPG

You are so right about this, I was talking to several people about it over the last week or so. When we were kids and you played Little League, if you werent good enough, you sat the bench,,,you didnt play AT ALL! For most of us, including me, that motivated me to work my butt off to get better until I was a starter...but now now matter how crappy they are, everybody has to play...it's stupid!

Because they feel as though they dont need their elders. All the knowledge they need can be found by typing and searching. Now obviously this is a generalization and not an entire category of ages are the same, but I do fear it. I fear the likes and dislikes of the youth. I fear their social abilities. I don't think its about "back in my day i had it harder", because that is not what I mean by all of this. However just interacting with people like we do when we do equipment clinics and knowledge stuff here locally (I dont put that out here), its staggering to me what is missing.

Good post dude. I agree, I'm not putting everyone in this category. Just something I've observed in my paltry 33 years of life.

Well said, truly.

It just baffles me the mentality of the mass. Now, thats not at all to say there aren't still parents out there instilling and commanding the right things and thus having kids that do still get it. But they are outnumbered vastly and alot of it is parents being friends instead of dropping the hammer and being a parent, I see it daily.

I'm just seriously glad that I earned my trophies for what I won when I played LL or anything. Now kids get trophies just for showing up. Bothers the heck put of me!

It is what it is. I notice when I talk to people similar in age to me (25ish) its turns into a one sided conversation with me just asking them questions over and over... And Im sure older people (30-50ish) get sick of me because I do the same thing and ask questions constantly.

To me, there is nothing better than learning something just talking with someone experienced in that field.

I hate all that good effort, participation stuff. So stupid. You should get commended and awarded for winning or being good at what you do. I had so many damn little league trophies as a kid. And I don't ever remember winning a league championship or anything.

I'm just seriously glad that I earned my trophies for what I won when I played LL or anything. Now kids get trophies just for showing up. Bothers the heck put of me!

Seriously. I talked to my mom about this and she told me stories of how pissed I'd get when my teams would lose. I love it, LOVE. Its stuck with me to this day, I want to be the best I can and to win if its an option and I'm pissed if I don't do it. Losing didn't make me mentally fragile or depressed, it pissed me off and taught me to work harder.

Today we are afraid to let kids fail, but failures happen in life! One of my absolute favorite quotes of all time is by Walt Disney of all people in that he said he believed it was important for every young person to have at least one good, hard, failure in their life to learn from. To me that is a fact of truth.

This is something that hit me like a ton of bricks around my junior year. The nights we used to spend out behind the dorm sitting in rocking chairs chatting like fellas do about all sorts of things or hanging out down at the river floating around drinking a few cold ones. All those were replaced it seems overnight by sitting alone in a coffee shop with a computer and an iPod, totally tuning out the world. The art of face to face communication is being lost right before our eyes.

I cringe even now when I'm on the road or on the boardwalk trails we have here in the park and see kids looking down at a phone texting or playing games. Right there in the middle of something truly beautiful they can't or won't unplug and look around at all the real world has to offer. Once in the smokies I was sitting at an overlook waiting for a vehicle to come across the mountain and it seems every sedan had a kid in the back looking at some electronic device instead of looking out the window at natures splendor, saddening really.

It is what it is. I notice when I talk to people similar in age to me (25ish) its turns into a one sided conversation with me just asking them questions over and over... And Im sure older people (30-50ish) get sick of me because I do the same thing and ask questions constantly.

To me, there is nothing better than learning something just talking with someone experienced in that field.

To tie that back into a golf related note, I do this myself and I guess sometimes it can come off wrong. When I play with someone who's very good I tend to shutup and watch, I'm a quieter person anyway but I think sometimes it comes off wrong. When it reality I'm just trying to soak in the knowledge from example.

Solid rant. Would have freaked me the heck out.

Not as bad as waking up to a different bloody hole.....wanna go camping?

This is why no one wants me coaching kids sports.

To tie that back into a golf related note, I do this myself and I guess sometimes it can come off wrong. When I play with someone who's very good I tend to shutup and watch, I'm a quieter person anyway but I think sometimes it comes off wrong. When it reality I'm just trying to soak in the knowledge from example.

Exactly. I probably have came off as annoying before but for the most part, People usually don't mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back