Cleveland 588 CB Forged Irons

Glad to hear they are working out.

Well I'm going to have a sick write up later. On the 18th tee 1 under for the round. I've hit 14/17 GIRs so far and am quite fond of my new sticks. These things come to life on a golf course. What a solid iron!

You just won the US Open with that round.

Well I'm going to have a sick write up later. On the 18th tee 1 under for the round. I've hit 14/17 GIRs so far and am quite fond of my new sticks. These things come to life on a golf course. What a solid iron!
Awesome little teaser, looking forward to the write up TC.

Can't wait TC! Great initial numbers!

You just won the US Open with that round.

Ha! 6492 yards and 69.8/132 isn't even in the realm. Par'd the last to shoot a 71. Didn't birdie a par 5 all dang day. I feel dialed in already, lol.

I did hit a 6iron on the par 3 17th (184 to the flag) and got it on the toe. I was about a yard short of the green. That's a miss I can live with. I really hit the ball well with the irons today and the best part is: I hit all of them. I'm infatuated with the 9iron. Hit it on the par 3 6th (144 to the stick) and left it about 8 feet underneath the hole. My on course distances seem to be almost identical to what I've been playing but I am starting to fall for the PXi shafts. They're incredibly stable and responsive if I want to lift or lower my trajectory.

I'm so thrilled that Cleveland allowed me to build these irons the way I have them.

Kapow! Nice round dude. See much difference in the one you toe'd a little? Obviously distance loss as you stated but was the ball flight much different?

Thats awesome TC, 71 is a heck of a round dude. Glad you finally were able to enjoy a toe hit as well haha.

TC going low already with the new irons! Can't say I'm surprised dude.

All this high ball flight talk had me a little worried that I picked a shaft that was a little too stiff. The flighted attributes don't really come into play much above the 6 iron and those 5.5's are pretty stiff if you ask me. After a bunch of balls today I came away happy though. I want to hit it hard and that's what the shafts want as well. They are proving to be really accurate, which is one reason I wanted to err on the stiffer side.

Kapow! Nice round dude. See much difference in the one you toe'd a little? Obviously distance loss as you stated but was the ball flight much different?

Dead straight ball dude. Here's the thing, I think lateral ball flight movement can be attributed to the heel or toe getting into the turf and twisting a hair. These babies cut through turf and do it quickly. I could tell I hit it on the toe though, that's for sure. It sounded and felt way different. The sound of these irons at impact is awesome. Very solid crack!

Thats awesome TC, 71 is a heck of a round dude. Glad you finally were able to enjoy a toe hit as well haha.

Thanks bro. Twas a fun day out there. I had Kmac on the line, I was doing some live updates for him.

TC going low already with the new irons! Can't say I'm surprised dude.

All this high ball flight talk had me a little worried that I picked a shaft that was a little too stiff. The flighted attributes don't really come into play much above the 6 iron and those 5.5's are pretty stiff if you ask me. After a bunch of balls today I came away happy though. I want to hit it hard and that's what the shafts want as well. They are proving to be really accurate, which is one reason I wanted to err on the stiffer side.

I think you made a great choice dude. Nothing better than tightening up that dispersion and accuracy. That's the name of the game.

As many of you know, I selected the 588 irons in a split set because I felt as though the company should have both sets covered for the MC. It has been a long time since I have played blade irons, but it was something I felt strong about and I know my sponsor for the Morgan Cup would be producing the tools that will put me in the best position to win. For the last 3 years, I have preferred to play irons with a thicker top line and sole due to nothing more than personal preference. Unlike many on the internet, I do miss from time to time and wanted to make sure that I can have the forgiveness that I like in a club. I play the game for enjoyment and to score and have never really thought about offset, top line, sole width, etc outside of getting properly fit and finding clubs that work best for me in the impact zone.

Fast forward to my first range session with my tools and I have to say I am downright fearful. Not fearful for me or my ball striking abilities mind you, but fearful for the people that I have to play against in the Morgan Cup. Giving me the best tools on the planet for my game at the moment of truth (the Morgan Cup) spells doom for those I am playing against. The 588 CBs are not only some of the best looking irons I have ever played, but partnered with the KBS Tour shafts give me the perfect ball flight. From the time I picked them up, I found myself hitting shot after shot and being impressed. I wont bore you with details about butter or silky or anything of the sort, because personally I think that stuff is nonsense and marketing drilled into our heads. What I will bore you with is the ball flight, performance and turf interaction that a club that is created almost perfectly does with a golf swing when its working. I am getting a nice high ball flight that is a joy to watch. Its not slap you in the face and hit your hat bill high, but launches ideally and then continues to climb to the perfect peak before dropping out the sky softly on the greens. The sole of the club meets the turf in a way that only those that have tried it out could picture. Slicing through blades of grass like Edward Scissorhands and the impact sound is something of a crack that gives off the impression that the ball is being crushed. Nothing muted, slippery, satiny or anything else, just a ball hitting a head and doing what it is supposed to.

The MBs are exactly the same way. Slightly lower ball flight for me and only the scoring irons are done this way in my set. Hitting the 8 iron to the green today (practice green is the right yardage for me), I found myself hitting the ball the way I have always wanted to. It took my about 7 shots to be ready for these as they are thin and small in the profile area, but when it comes to the impact zone, the performance is perfect. Slightly different sound as the crack becomes a little more subtle, but as the leading edge gets to the ground, it is apparent exactly what it is supposed to do and that is rain shot after shot to the green.

I will have more coming soon as I continue to use these clubs, but I want to say that Cleveland Golf is putting out a set of irons here that is cherished. A set of irons that is a throwback of sorts. And most of all, a set of irons that does exactly what it is supposed to do, all the while looking like a million dollars while it does it. They are awesome....And buttery.

Dead straight ball dude. Here's the thing, I think lateral ball flight movement can be attributed to the heel or toe getting into the turf and twisting a hair. These babies cut through turf and do it quickly. I could tell I hit it on the toe though, that's for sure. It sounded and felt way different. The sound of these irons at impact is awesome. Very solid crack!

Thanks bro. Twas a fun day out there. I had Kmac on the line, I was doing some live updates for him.

I think you made a great choice dude. Nothing better than tightening up that dispersion and accuracy. That's the name of the game.

I think so too. Plus, I was basically coming out of a big lowpoint right when I got them. I got some great tips for warming up that have really helped me get my swing speed back up. Maybe one day the huge ups and downs will go away.

I still think the cavity in these is a fair amount larger than the V2's, but the lines are still just as sleek from address. I swear I think about them every 5 minutes.

What's the metal these irons are forged with? I had a 6i in the CB and MB for the weekend for demo purposes. Gleaming new at the start of the weekend. By Sunday evening they already had lots of major bag chatter.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Cool, I have not seen much side to side movement either on misses. Odd because the prevailing word on the street is that clubs like these aren't as straight as something more forgiving. Myth busted. Lol at the crack sound, that seriously scared me the first time I hit these on grass. I was like "oh ---- I broke something on the first swing!" Weird at first but I absolutely love that sound now.

As many of you know, I selected the 588 irons in a split set because I felt as though the company should have both sets covered for the MC. It has been a long time since I have played blade irons, but it was something I felt strong about and I know my sponsor for the Morgan Cup would be producing the tools that will put me in the best position to win. For the last 3 years, I have preferred to play irons with a thicker top line and sole due to nothing more than personal preference. Unlike many on the internet, I do miss from time to time and wanted to make sure that I can have the forgiveness that I like in a club. I play the game for enjoyment and to score and have never really thought about offset, top line, sole width, etc outside of getting properly fit and finding clubs that work best for me in the impact zone.

Fast forward to my first range session with my tools and I have to say I am downright fearful. Not fearful for me or my ball striking abilities mind you, but fearful for the people that I have to play against in the Morgan Cup. Giving me the best tools on the planet for my game at the moment of truth (the Morgan Cup) spells doom for those I am playing against. The 588 CBs are not only some of the best looking irons I have ever played, but partnered with the KBS Tour shafts give me the perfect ball flight. From the time I picked them up, I found myself hitting shot after shot and being impressed. I wont bore you with details about butter or silky or anything of the sort, because personally I think that stuff is nonsense and marketing drilled into our heads. What I will bore you with is the ball flight, performance and turf interaction that a club that is created almost perfectly does with a golf swing when its working. I am getting a nice high ball flight that is a joy to watch. Its not slap you in the face and hit your hat bill high, but launches ideally and then continues to climb to the perfect peak before dropping out the sky softly on the greens. The sole of the club meets the turf in a way that only those that have tried it out could picture. Slicing through blades of grass like Edward Scissorhands and the impact sound is something of a crack that gives off the impression that the ball is being crushed. Nothing muted, slippery, satiny or anything else, just a ball hitting a head and doing what it is supposed to.

The MBs are exactly the same way. Slightly lower ball flight for me and only the scoring irons are done this way in my set. Hitting the 8 iron to the green today (practice green is the right yardage for me), I found myself hitting the ball the way I have always wanted to. It took my about 7 shots to be ready for these as they are thin and small in the profile area, but when it comes to the impact zone, the performance is perfect. Slightly different sound as the crack becomes a little more subtle, but as the leading edge gets to the ground, it is apparent exactly what it is supposed to do and that is rain shot after shot to the green.

I will have more coming soon as I continue to use these clubs, but I want to say that Cleveland Golf is putting out a set of irons here that is cherished. A set of irons that is a throwback of sorts. And most of all, a set of irons that does exactly what it is supposed to do, all the while looking like a million dollars while it does it. They are awesome....And buttery.

A beautifully forged post right there, JB.

I really want to see you hit these dude. FYI, I'll be asking to hit those butter knives on Friday at the MC, so please be prepared!

nice update on your first range session with the mixed set JB

Dang! Nice write up JB. I imagine when you get more reps in you continue to dial them in. Maybe you'll just hole everything out, that would be sweet :p

Great update JB, they sound like they are lethal in your hands. Loved the buttery at the end lol.

I've sent an email to Blind9 for pricing.....My mizzys may have had a short, but glorious, career.

What's the metal these irons are forged with? I had a 6i in the CB and MB for the weekend for demo purposes. Gleaming new at the start of the weekend. By Sunday evening they already had lots of major bag chatter.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

1025 Carbon steel.

I've sent an email to Blind9 for pricing.....My mizzys may have had a short, but glorious, career.

Nice, Rusty. I see you have graphite now. Might be worth looking at the Miyazaki iron shafts if you want to go that route.

Oh snap! that's awesome Rusty.

Sounds like you guys are really getting some good results out of the 588s already. As someone with a bunch of Cleveland love in my bag, I love hearing about it, even if I am a little jealous. Such a great lineup from Cleveland (as well as BStone & Cally) this year. The MC staffers are a lucky bunch!

I'm not 100% committed yet, but the more I think about my demo last Friday the more I am leaning toward making the change. I really thought these would be too hard for me to hit, even though they appear to have more perimeter weighting than my MP-53s. My swing is a little out of kilter right now, and I full expected my demo to be a bit of a disaster. Great feel, great flight, tight dispersion, fantastic forgiveness, and all with a shaft I don't care for at all.

I will have to choose between KBS Tour and PXi shafts. The ATV wedge I tried out has me just about sold on KBS, though.

I've had a really good range and simulator session with the 588 Forged CBs. I'll have some feedback up later tonight.

I just caught up on the 14+ pages and saw the pics of your CB's. I don't know how you struck the turf with them. They're absolutely gorgeous and look so nasty with the PXi shaft in there.

Back