Official 2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maynor has been out with a torn ACL for like...a long time

Yeah I knew he was hurt a while ago but didn't remember what it was. I figured he was still out since I haven't heard his name lately. But whatever. I still like Fish for them at PG too.

Eh, it's easy to just pin blame on refs. Any person thats ever pulled for a sports team (myself included) has done it, and it will never go away. Miami is playing better than OKC. Miami's small ball and defense is killing the Thunder.
The fact that Heat fans have commented on how poor the officiating is (in their favor) would suggest this is more than sour grapes. The theme for the Heat in both the Boston and OKC series has been "yeah they're getting all the calls but that's not the reason they're winning." The whole thing just leaves me with a bad taste - sort of like the LA/Sacramento series in '02 that led to me boycotting the NBA for a few years.

The fact that Heat fans have commented on how poor the officiating is (in their favor) would suggest this is more than sour grapes. The theme for the Heat in both the Boston and OKC series has been "yeah they're getting all the calls but that's not the reason they're winning." The whole thing just leaves me with a bad taste - sort of like the LA/Sacramento series in '02 that led to me boycotting the NBA for a few years.

Yup! In fact, I got so sick of the flopping from Dwade and bronbron that I just stopped watching. I have friends on the facebook who coach basketball and don't have any vested interest in either team and even they say it's atrocious.

There's bad officiating in every sport. I honestly can't think of anytime I ever watch any sport and either don't make a comment myself or hear one from someone else about a dumb call or how crappy an umpire/ref is. Like I said, it's an easy excuse. It takes no effort to point blame on the guys in stripes. If you think the Heat beat Boston and are currently beating OKC because of officiating, then that's your right. But I strongly disagree.

Yup! In fact, I got so sick of the flopping from Dwade and bronbron that I just stopped watching. I have friends on the facebook who coach basketball and don't have any vested interest in either team and even they say it's atrocious.

I can't stand watching Wade. He's awful with all of his whining and complaining about calls. It kills me when he doesn't run back on defense after not getting a call he wants. And OKC doesn't do it? Harden just puts his head down and drives to the basket and throws his hands up expecting a foul call. Durant is the reason why it's no longer shooting foul when a player sweeps the ball up and through a defenders hands while he's acting like he's trying to shoot.

I'm not sure if this link is going to work, but google 'James Harden flops' and go to youtube to see the true definition of flopping and acting.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGzSNsPafY0

I can't stand watching Wade. He's awful with all of his whining and complaining about calls. It kills me when he doesn't run back on defense after not getting a call he wants. And OKC doesn't do it? Harden just puts his head down and drives to the basket and throws his hands up expecting a foul call. Durant is the reason why it's no longer shooting foul when a player sweeps the ball up and through a defenders hands while he's acting like he's trying to shoot.

I'm not sure if this link is going to work, but google 'James Harden flops' and go to youtube to see the true definition of flopping and acting.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGzSNsPafY0

I agree with the flopping in general in the NBA, but I think (PERSONALLY) Wade is a fun player to watch and whines and complains less than other superstars. I am not saying he doesn't, just saying he does less than most others who are at his stature. I really enjoy watching him when he gets going (and all the time as well, just saying when he gets going, he is something else.)

Wade makes and pulls off some amazing shots, there is no doubt about it. And he is one of the best players in the NBA. I remember last year in the Finals, Dallas scoring on a fast break multiple times because Wade was on the other end of the court arguing with the referee. I actually think he is worse than the other stars--or it's at least more noticeable to me.

Poor Trevor Ariza. In just a few years he went from a Championship to the Wizards. :(

Great move for the Hornets. Terrible move for the Wizards, again.

Wade makes and pulls off some amazing shots, there is no doubt about it. And he is one of the best players in the NBA. I remember last year in the Finals, Dallas scoring on a fast break multiple times because Wade was on the other end of the court arguing with the referee. I actually think he is worse than the other stars--or it's at least more noticeable to me.

I am sure you are correct as well. Every "star" player has had good and bad stretches. I am naturally a fan of college basketball for the "team/give it everything mentality" from the kids and a fan of the NBA for the "star" player aspect and therefore pay attention to the stars of the NBA more than the team aspect.

Heck, maybe it is Wade's amazing shots that have made me more fond to watch him, maybe it is his effort against Dallas in the Finals when he was leader of the team and when they won, or maybe it was his single handed effort against the Celtics in the playoffs a few years ago when they lost the series. Who knows, but he is just one of those guys I enjoy watching more.

Great move for the Hornets. Terrible move for the Wizards, again.

Yeah.. Dont know where to start with the Wizards.

At least this trade helps free up a lot of the salary cap and an additional young player in the draft.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk 2

Yeah.. Dont know where to start with the Wizards.

At least this trade helps free up a lot of the salary cap and an additional young player in the draft.

It's a great trade for the Hornets. They offload Okafor and Ariza's ridiculous contracts. They get Lewis', which is probably the worst contract ever second to Arenas, but they'll wave him and next year he's outta there. IF they want to amnesty somebody they can and potentially offer DWill a max contract. Doubtful he takes it, but still. They will have lots of money the next 2 years to go after big names, and build around Gordon/Davis/whoever they take with the other top 15 pick this year. Good move.

It's a great trade for the Hornets. They offload Okafor and Ariza's ridiculous contracts. They get Lewis', which is probably the worst contract ever second to Arenas, but they'll wave him and next year he's outta there. IF they want to amnesty somebody they can and potentially offer DWill a max contract. Doubtful he takes it, but still. They will have lots of money the next 2 years to go after big names, and build around Gordon/Davis/whoever they take with the other top 15 pick this year. Good move.

Indeed! Looking forward to the draft then the season opener.

As a Heat fan you almost get sick of the whole Heat vs. The World mentality because we signed Bosh and James. Ok James was a little arrogant and claimed he wanted to win 8 championships but lets be honest, it was at basically a pep rally and he was obviously being facetious. Last I checked Boston's starting lineup has 3 hall of famers and Rondo, who is a futre HOF'er if he continues doing what he's doing. James speaks well, doesn't get into trouble with the law, no baby momma drama, does charity work, and is a great player. Sure he made a mistake in "The Decision" but is that really enough for all the venom towards Miami?

As for flops...what is a flop? An attempt to deceive the ref for a call. Every team has players who do it. Wade obviously. James Harden flops if you look at him wrong. Durant with his sweep. Rose where he drives shoulder first with no intention of actually getting a shot off. Kobe, etc... you get the point.

Bad calls? Get serious. Both sides make the same complaint so clearly the refs suck all around. For every bad call the Thunder claim, the Heat can bring up a bad call of their own.

Every game has been close so why not just accept the Heat found a way to win.

James speaks well, doesn't get into trouble with the law, no baby momma drama, does charity work, and is a great player. Sure he made a mistake in "The Decision" but is that really enough for all the venom towards Miami?

To quote the great Chris Rock..."You dont deserve credit for doing what you are supposed to do".
By the way, your logic is quite funny considering your hatred towards another guy that does the same thing and does not have the "Decision".

Man, they do such a good job with the Finals commercials. They always get me so excited for the games.

By the way, your logic is quite funny considering your hatred towards another guy that does the same thing and does not have the "Decision".

If you're referring to Tebow then I'll say what I've said many times. I don't dislike the man himself but rather the amount of football credit he gets considering he's not very good.

Lebron = Good guy who is disliked because of a pep rally...all the while he is arguably the best player alive

Tebow = Better guy who is hyped up to the status of a Lebron yet is a backup QB that's somewhat lucky to be in the league.

I don't care if it was a pep rally - it came on the heels of The Decision, which was the most self-serving and arrogant public relations disaster I've ever seen. So at a time when he should have been doing damage control, he gets in front of the world and spouts off "Not two....not three...not four..." presumably so we could all be impressed that he can count past five (as long as you spot him the one), then goes onto say that they'll work so hard in practice that beating every other team in the league will be "easy."

Ignoring the fact that these are premeditated and deliberate acts of self-indulgence, let's not pretend that these BIG mistakes aren't complemented by constant instances of him acting like a baby on the court, taking off his jersey, calling Ibaka 'stupid', etc... In a league full of uneducated bad guys, LeBron isn't the dumbest or worst - he is, IMO, the most self-centered and immature.

high talent + low character = hateworthy

I don't care if it was a pep rally - it came on the heels of The Decision, which was the most self-serving and arrogant public relations disaster I've ever seen. So at a time when he should have been doing damage control, he gets in front of the world and spouts off "Not two....not three...not four..." presumably so we could all be impressed that he can count past five (as long as you spot him the one), then goes onto say that they'll work so hard in practice that beating every other team in the league will be "easy."

Ignoring the fact that these are premeditated and deliberate acts of self-indulgence, let's not pretend that these BIG mistakes aren't complemented by constant instances of him acting like a baby on the court, taking off his jersey, calling Ibaka 'stupid', etc... In a league full of uneducated bad guys, LeBron isn't the dumbest or worst - he is, IMO, the most self-centered and immature.

high talent + low character = hateworthy

Talk about the definition of a hater lol. So lets see he has a 30min show to announce the decision he's made on where he plays...when he is the biggest name in basketball, and clearly everyone wanted to know. I'm sure it was HIS idea to go on tv and had NOTHING to do with the hungry agents. So I suppose the world should HATE A-Rod for having his agent announce he was signing back with NYY in the middle of the BoSOX winning the series. Also I suppose we should HATE Tebow for having a press conference to announce the arrival of a backup QB who was traded for a 4th rd pick (which equates to a tackling dummy). And besides it's not like he was cutting anyone else down it was rather him pumping himself and his fans up.

As far as the 8 championships, he and Wade were laughing as he was clearly joking and just having fun at a MIAMI HEAT "pep rally". You're going to hold it against the guy when he's having fun and giving the fans what they want even if he was just exaggerating?

Acting like a baby on the court? I don't know of a single legitimate star that doesnt get mad when he's hacked but gets no call. Lebron is 6'9" 270lbs and as competitive as he is you're going to tell me that he is a big enough baby that he's going to cry and give up on a play due to a no call when there was no contact? Man you're just stretching to hate on the guy.

He's always respectful and gives his teammates and the opponents credit during interviews whereas other (like Rondo) are complete a-holes yet you still like them?

If you don't like the Heat because they are not your team then that's fine. If you hate Lebron because you're sick of hearing about him then that's fine. If you hate him because you think his headband is ugly then that's fine...but hating him because of one time when he joked around and one time when his agent got him to do a tv show is weak. You are completely discounting the hundreds of good/decent things he's done because of 2 questionable decisions.

You are completely discounting the hundreds of good/decent things he's done because of 2 questionable decisions.

I gotta admit, I found most of that post pretty funny, but the last line I do find very funny. I dont get it. Isnt the entire basis of fandom about the love vs hate of athletes. Now when you boo, you have to have a valid reason? And who says what is valid? Im supposed to cheer because he hasnt been arrested? My wife hasnt been arrested do you cheer her? She is good at what she does too.

What if I boo because the guy has an ugly mustache? Or looked funny one time walking down the street? What if one boos because they just dont like the guy? What if they boo because they think the guy is an egomaniac? What if they boo because they heard from a brothers cousins sisters uncles friend that he didnt sign an autograph. Who the hell cares? The constant defense of some people is absolutely absurd. If someone else hates him? So what.

Just to clarify as a Heat fan living in Miami. The pep rally was scheduled for D-Wade returning to the Heat. Bosh and Lebron were an added incentive to the party. Heck Lebron signed the contract within minutes of going on stage.

We also had an outdoor party for Shaq, but was not nationally televised so that's the difference. I wish it would've been a private event for the fans only. That's just how we roll here. Party for everything lol.

Lol, did anyone see the "Jon Barry Sucks" sign?

I know this is old but I did see this. Next time the camera went that we it was down hahaha

But tonight. I got my drinks ready to go and a pizza will be ordered tonight. It's going to be the first full game I'll get to watch in the finals due to work/bed(have off tomorrow thankfully!!)
Hopefully I called it right(Heat win the game/series 4-1, 98-95) OKC will have next year and many more years to come. LBJ is just too focused this year plus the confidence is a huge factor going into tonight.

Jericho is right that I'm a hater, JB is right that we're trying to rationalize the irrational, and I assume I'm right that every pro-Heat argument falls into the "Yeah, but" category.

Yeah, they're getting all the calls but that's not the reason they're winning.
Yeah, LeBron hacked Durant but Durant should have already fouled out of that game anyway.
Yeah, The Decision was dreadful but it was LeBron's agent's fault.
Yeah, LeBron said they were going to win 8 championships but he was joking.
Yeah, LeBron said "once the games start it's going to be easy" but they were at a pep rally.

To quote the great Chris Rock..."You dont deserve credit for doing what you are supposed to do".

" Shoot man, I aint been to jail"

"What do you want, an effin cookie???"

One of the greatest stand ups ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back