More Loft? Yes Please.

My ball flight is already too high. What CC shaft options would counter the increase in loft to keep the ball flight lower?

My ball flight is already too high. What CC shaft options would counter the increase in loft to keep the ball flight lower?

There are many. The Kusala Blue and Black as well as Indigo would all bring the flight down from the standard C. Kua (which is also a very good shaft).

I had a good fitter ask me a simple question once, "Would you rather hit your 3 wood or your driver?" I had to answer my 3 wood. He then pointed out that if your driver is fitted properly that shouldn't be the case. he said position is why I should pick one over the other not because I feel like I can hit it better. He pointed out that I get to tee it up every time, with a flat lie. He then moved my loft up to 10.5 and I went from hitting 40% fairways in Golfshot to 87% fairways and have stayed there for almost a year. Remember that I am 6'9" tall and have an upright swing so I hit it high, but, the higher lofted the club is in the middle and I lost no distance, probably gained over time, as I am confident I can hit it in the middle. JB is right on the money with this thread.

JB,
So you think that a 12* with a lower launching shaft could provide more accuracy (less sidespin) that an 10.5* degree with a higher launching shaft..assuming both setups provide similar launch monitor numbers?

I'm just trying to get a better grasp of this concept. It sounds like an awesome idea that I am interested in trying out.

JB,
So you think that a 12* with a lower launching shaft could provide more accuracy (less sidespin) that an 10.5* degree with a higher launching shaft..assuming both setups provide similar launch monitor numbers?

I'm just trying to get a better grasp of this concept. It sounds like an awesome idea that I am interested in trying out.

It depends on the person. I believe in using loft to fit the person and then fine tuning with a shaft. A higher loft in many cases will produce less side spin.

It depends on the person. I believe in using loft to fit the person and then fine tuning with a shaft. A higher loft in many cases will produce less side spin.

:clapp:

I find it intresting that a player like Dustin Johnson has switched to a higher loft. And this seems to be a trend. JB did you go with the same shaft you have used in the past, or did you fit yourself into a lower launching shaft with the higher loft. I'v often wondered if I could go higher loft, but then I go an play and see the lack of rollout I get, and then makes me think that I'm playing to much loft or the complete wrong shaft. Which I think we determined at The Outing. But I think my ultimate question is could the wrong shaft, make it appear that you have the wrong loft when in reality its not?

I went back today to hit an 11.5 and got a different guy to hlep me, they don't even make the 290 in an 11.5 lol. The first guy didn't know what the heck he was talking about. I hit the 12 and the 10.5 and really liked the 10.5 a lot more. He thinks I'm in between but I haven't bought anything yet.

This is certainly something I may look into in the future. I have always played a driver with less loft and that could be why I have trouble controlling that club so frequently.

I find it intresting that a player like Dustin Johnson has switched to a higher loft. And this seems to be a trend. JB did you go with the same shaft you have used in the past, or did you fit yourself into a lower launching shaft with the higher loft. I'v often wondered if I could go higher loft, but then I go an play and see the lack of rollout I get, and then makes me think that I'm playing to much loft or the complete wrong shaft. Which I think we determined at The Outing. But I think my ultimate question is could the wrong shaft, make it appear that you have the wrong loft when in reality its not?

DJ plays a 10.5 because his hands are a mile in front of the ball at contact and he's delofting it that way. 10.5 fits "his" swing even though you'd think he'd be a 7* kind of guy.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

I think I saw a post somewhere that Bubba Watson was @ Ping hitting and hit a drive that carried 344 total 373 and his launch angle (drum roll) 15.4 everyone could use a little bit more height on those tee shots. I moved from 9 to 10.5 and have noticed I am a lot more accurate! Fairways and Greens.

I didn't see this in the thread yet so thought I'd bring it up...

What do you think about drivers with score lines/grooves? I am switching to a Titileist 975D in 10.5 since I like the heft, the head size, and the fully grooved face. More groves equal more spin decreasing left/right spin right? Any thoughts?

(I'm still looking for the right shaft for the 975 but I'm also looking for the right swing first :D)

Grooves do nothing on a driver. They are there simply for aesthetic reasons.

Grooves do nothing on a driver. They are there simply for aesthetic reasons.

Part of me thinks that makes sense but the other is not so sure. Do you have any numbers or know of anywhere that shows this?

Part of me thinks that makes sense but the other is not so sure. Do you have any numbers or know of anywhere that shows this?

Its absolutely fact, I can assure you. Straight from both our personal testing and the words of the great John Hoeflich. Grooves are in place to channel away items to create clean contact and create spin on the golf ball. A teed golf ball with nothing between the impacting club and the ball needs nothing of the sort.

Its absolutely fact, I can assure you. Straight from both our personal testing and the words of the great John Hoeflich. Grooves are in place to channel away items to create clean contact and create spin on the golf ball. A teed golf ball with nothing between the impacting club and the ball needs nothing of the sort.

Thanks, that's somewhat what I was thinking.

I find this very interesting! I am wanting to get the cleveland classic and after reading this I am going to demo the 12* and see if I can be more accurate.

I agree 100% with the more loft is a good thing in this thread. I almost went with the 12 degree with my Cleveland Classic . Straighter is a good thing!

I have always played a 9.5 since my junior days. I do remember a phase when everyone played real low lofted drivers, and then another phase when they all played 11.5 degree drivers. I am still playing a 9.5, but am considering switching to a 10.5 for more carry distance. I don't struggle with the driver, and I hit over 70% of my fairways per round, but I max out at 250 yards on the roll, which means I'm carrying probably 240 or less. I feel if I can get the ball to hang in the air longer, I will get better results.

I too have always believed for higher HC players like myself, more loft is better. But to show that Golf is complicated and not always black & white I have this experience to share
A fitting with my current Z-Star driver at 10.5° loft weights were R-7g/H-3g.
H/S 91.5 B/S 121.2 L/A 18.6! B/S 3547 avg Dist=218. I was told/shown that I had way too much launch angle for my swing and speed. On course in the real world I generally average 215-220 total with roll.

I was able to get a Z-Star 9.0° head to put on my Miyasaki shaft, weights now at R-11g/H-7g
H/S 91.7 B/S 135.4 L/A 13.7 B/S 2588 avg total driving distance now at 236 yds!
This last weekend the wife and I played and I had 3 drives (no wind assists) of 261, 255 and 257! Same 1-plane swing I have been using as taught by my GolfTec instructor Stephen. Since the swing change and the added distance gained from the driver head change, I've reduced my GHIN from a 14.7 in Feb to 12.6 on 6.15.2012. (yup hitting Fairways is NOT overrated)! Shorter clubs into greens make the game much more fun!
Just goes to show you just never know in this wacky world of Golf!

The last driver that I could hit consistently well was my 11* Callaway FT5. My current driver is 10.5*, and while it may not seem like much I have struggled with this driver. My CC is a 12*, and I am looking forward to it. My buddies think I am crazy, but we will see what happens.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I too have always believed for higher HC players like myself, more loft is better. But to show that Golf is complicated and not always black & white I have this experience to share
A fitting with my current Z-Star driver at 10.5° loft weights were R-7g/H-3g.
H/S 91.5 B/S 121.2 L/A 18.6! B/S 3547 avg Dist=218. I was told/shown that I had way too much launch angle for my swing and speed. On course in the real world I generally average 215-220 total with roll.

I was able to get a Z-Star 9.0° head to put on my Miyasaki shaft, weights now at R-11g/H-7g
H/S 91.7 B/S 135.4 L/A 13.7 B/S 2588 avg total driving distance now at 236 yds!
This last weekend the wife and I played and I had 3 drives (no wind assists) of 261, 255 and 257! Same 1-plane swing I have been using as taught by my GolfTec instructor Stephen. Since the swing change and the added distance gained from the driver head change, I've reduced my GHIN from a 14.7 in Feb to 12.6 on 6.15.2012. (yup hitting Fairways is NOT overrated)! Shorter clubs into greens make the game much more fun!
Just goes to show you just never know in this wacky world of Golf!
Very interesting for sure, could it be that the Miyazaki is just to high launching/spinning for you and a simple shaft change could of gotten you the correct LA with the 10.5* head and possibly even more distance.

Maybe another stupid question but...how much does the ball's designed spin play a factor?

(I don't know if I should start a thread or if it has been addressed before, I'm just trying to understand the whole picture of setting up a driver. Should you start with what ball you want/like, then select a loft and then a shaft?)

Maybe another stupid question but...how much does the ball's designed spin play a factor?

(I don't know if I should start a thread or if it has been addressed before, I'm just trying to understand the whole picture of setting up a driver. Should you start with what ball you want/like, then select a loft and then a shaft?)

It very much plays a role and that is why I believe ball fitting is so crucial off the tee.

10Yard, you just never know!. What I can say is that I love the feel and response of the Miyasaki from the first day got the driver. First shaft in a driver that I've ever had that felt "Perfect". As it is, at this time I am perfectly happy with the shot shape with the current config. B4 it always seemed high launch and the then the ball would just fall out of the sky and I would get minimal roll out. Now it's more of a lower boring flight and I really get good roll, at least on the courses in my neighborhood. We'll see what long term results I get.

Back