Junior members not being respected

Was the back of the practice range reachable? What is behind it? I do play at a course that a driving range that's only 220 yards deep. And after the range and some trees is the 6th tee. There are signs all over the range to not hit any woods or hybrids. Nothing like standing over a tee shot and having a range ball bounce on the tee box.

I have been in your shoes and been given the same tone at my old club. Move to a different golf course.

Sadly no way too. Also I love our course except for a few things like these but I look past it because every other thing about it is just amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like your Dad handled the situation with class. If he didn't feel the need to say anything, then there probably no need for it. As unfortunate as it is, mouthing off to an older member, especially if you are younger, won't fix the situation--it will only make it worse.

The course I grew up playing had its fair share of stuffy, grumpy members. I found that their attitudes turned more positive the more interaction I with them, and the ones that I thought were mean turned out to be nice people. Being respectful and minding your manners goes a long way to winning people over. As someone else said, kill them kindness. Maybe once they get to know/see you around the course more, the less likely they will be to say something like that.

Was the back of the practice range reachable? What is behind it? I do play at a course that a driving range that's only 220 yards deep. And after the range and some trees is the 6th tee. There are signs all over the range to not hit any woods or hybrids. Nothing like standing over a tee shot and having a range ball bounce on the tee box.

It is about 250 yards deep and only when I hit it very well can I reach the back. Behind it are houses which are a good hundred yards past it. I had the ok from the pro shop and the pro to hit the driver which is what ticked me off the most

Sounds like your Dad handled the situation with class. If he didn't feel the need to say anything, then there probably no need for it. As unfortunate as it is, mouthing off to an older member, especially if you are younger, won't fix the situation--it will only make it worse.

The course I grew up playing had its fair share of stuffy, grumpy members. I found that their attitudes turned more positive the more interaction I with them, and the ones that I thought were mean turned out to be nice people. Being respectful and minding your manners goes a long way to winning people over. As someone else said, kill them kindness. Maybe once they get to know/see you around the course more, the less likely they will be to say something like that.

I know and like playing with a lot of the older members and they are always there to encourage us to play. Especially in the junior/adult tournament is great and you see which adults really support us juniors

I was out playing my home course and me and one of my twin sons, 9 yr. old was playing with me. We caught a twosome on the next tee box. The guy on the tee had the stones to say that he would let us play through, but because he was a kid, they would not. They tee off and then both duff their tee shots around 80 yards or so. My son decides to say just a little too loud "Dad, its gonna be a long afternoon!!"

They did let us play through and my son hits his best ball of the day, almost 80 yards past theirs. I just thought it was funny.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

haha. That's what some people do at my course. It ticks me off.

the thing is i really like the club and MOST of the people there haha. this has happened twice to me where an adult member feels they have the right to boss the juniors around because they're adult members. plus there aren't many better deals around and we live quite close to this clubs and many friends golf there lol

Well I wouldn't worry about it then. I would just play as best as you can every time you go and don't worry about it. I wish him luck the next time you find him on the course and beat him haha.

I wouldn't let one guy ruin a perfect golf season haha

Don't worry about it Zig. I don't even belong to a club and have had something similar to that happen to me a few times at a public range. I usually just ignore them, which makes them angrier and therefore makes me happier.

First off, don't worry about. As you will find out, the world is full of people who think they are experts in everything. I would of taken a much different approach as a Dad but to each his own.

Should've told him he looked like he had a full plate trying to figure his own mediocre swing out and suggested that he stop worrying about yours.

Just tap it in, just tap it in. Give it a little tap tap tappy. Tap tap tap-a-roo.

glad im not the only one who's experienced something like this. reading all these replies shows me everyones been through it and I'm not gonna let it get to me

Should've told him he looked like he had a full plate trying to figure his own mediocre swing out and suggested that he stop worrying about yours.

Just tap it in, just tap it in. Give it a little tap tap tappy. Tap tap tap-a-roo.

I love this on ehehe

Grumpy Old Men....go rent it and it will make you feel better. Promise.

I love people that think it is their business to be in everyone else's business. We have a guy at my old course that is just like that. Thinks it's his place to watch over everyone else. However usually these people don't follow the rules, they just try to impose them on others.

Imagine this on a hockey rink. This is what I deal with weekly, and I'm a 21 yr. Old... A forward continually tries to tell me how to play goalie.....

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Imagine this on a hockey rink. This is what I deal with weekly, and I'm a 21 yr. Old... A forward continually tries to tell me how to play goalie.....

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

This is the worst.. When I used to play hockey I had forwards try to tell me(I was defense) how to play and which guys to cover. To the golf course it's the same except instead of forwards it's older people and the defense is the juniors haha

moral of the story...old people suck

I kid

Letting this one go was the right thing. If it happens again, you should ask the gentleman (using the term loosely) if he would like to play a match. Loser doesn't hit range balls for a month.

similar situation last week happened to me (i'm 26 btw); we have a 250 yard range with one end that has mats, the other is open and has natural grass to hit off of (in fact, all lessons from our course pro are hit off natural grass, NOT the mats unless it's sopping wet). my dad and i usually go at lunch and hit only short irons to work on little things. there was a guy, i'd say mid 50's early 60's, picking his balls up with a shag bag (no where near my possible 'shank' zone)...standing 100 feet directly behind me. i pull my 8 iron and take a smooth easy swing and hit it dead straight. the man then makes a bee line straight infront of me, staring and glaring at me and says, "can't you f'in wait for me to pick up my balls? what, you're too good to hit off the mats there mr. pro? why don't you bring your f'in money...how f'in rude can you be...wait till i'm f'in done..."

I stood in amazement as i hadn't been anywhere near this guy, let alone do anything to provoke this response. i didn't say anything and my dad was silent in shock. to this day, if i see this man, i can't wait to wave $200 in his face and say lets do it.

It sounds like that person treated you quite rude, surprisingly with your dad their as well. But I will tell you another story from the other perspective that just happened at our course. My regular group has a standing tee time on Saturday morning at 926, we were all warming up on the practice green adjacent to the first tee and a few young kids, probably ranging from 14-18 run onto the first tee in front of us and tee off, as they were finishing teeing we stepped up to the tee box and were getting ready to just play behind them and tee off, and they say, "Would you like to play through?" One of our group has been a member for quite some time and said, no we don't want to play through we would like to play at our scheduled time though. It sounds worse as I type it, but he said it very nice. They said, "Oh, we don't have a tee time, but saw an opening!" Well it really wasn't an opening as just a break between times and the group in front was off into the trees and you couldn't see them. I'm not saying they were rude, but you just have to know the common courtesy on a golf course and stick to it.

After re-reading through the other responses I've got a question for the under 20 somethings, when I first started playing golf it was always by myself or with my father in law as my own father doesn't play. So I learned from a bit of a different perspective than I normally learned things with my father. I'm wondering how many of you have played golf fairly regularly with people older than yourself but now siblings or fathers?

I ask because I'm thinking I've learned more from watching others, who are my elder, than I have my father in law. It's nice to get advise and tips from others.

I think you and your Dad screwed up how the situation was handled

if you have the OK from the pro, you're OK to hit/demo that driver

by backing off and stopping just because old grumpy said so, you and your father let him win, and are enabling him to continue down his path.

The correct thing to do is to stand your ground, finish demoing the club and tell the guy if he's got an issue that he should take it up with the Pro.

When you let people walk all over you, they're going to keep walking all over you. If you're not doing something wrong, why not stand up for yourself a little?

I think there is a difference between allowing someone to walk all over you and not allowing yourself to stoop to that level. Some people are miserable and want to make everyone around them feel as miserable as they do. It can actually be more of a punishment to them to be polite and respectful in return. Those type of people don't understand the emotion of happiness or politeness so it grabs their attention.

no, that's a cop out excuse

it's not rude or impolite to stand up for yourself if you're not doing something wrong.

there's a difference between being polite, and being a pushover.

Back