Tour Issue Equipment

Oregon Golfer

#XBomb
Reaction score
Handicap
I have a few questions about "Tour Issue" equipment.

1. How does this stuff make it to market? I don't imagine Wade Liles and the like are selling clubs off the tour van for extra cash. Is this just another market segment for the OEM's and they distribute the equipment like "regular" stuff?

2. Besides the allure of being able to say that you have "Tour Issue" stuff, is there any real advantage? Is the equipment any better? Maybe just the ability to get specs that you otherwise couldn't, (low loft drivers, etc...), or do they also have tighter smaller manufacturing tolerances?

From what I have read it is essentially this:

1. Tighter tolerances and better materials.
2. Less offset/smaller heads.
3. Different specs.

1. It depends on the brand. Sometimes it is "put out" and other times it is from a caddie, friend, rep, etc.
2. Just like everything in life, people want what they cannot have.

I believe Apple has taught us all that if you have less supply than what is demanded, no matter what you put out, it is wanted.

From the TM drivers, FW's, and hybrids I have hit (I still game my tour R5)...they are much better than retail/stock. I had Mizuno prototype blades, and the forgings were softer than retail (I believe they were forged in a different factory). On the other hand, I've tried some other stuff, and the difference isn't really noticeable.

Tour Vokey's are much softer than the retail ones, including my 60°. To be honest, outside of drivers, FW, and hybrids, I don't really think it's worth the added cost.

My i20's are stock, and those are the best irons I've hit.

Better? No. Mostly just tighter tolerances that have actually been measured so the VTour Van/builders know exactly what they're working with.

Sometimes there are different options. The R11 DOT head for example that was 420cc instead of 440. Launched and spun a bit different but was mostly for those playing different weighting in their shaft/club. Or for example the Adams VST hybrid which looks like a A12 Pro hybrid from the top but the bottom has the velocity slot like the XTD/F12's.

Better? No. Mostly just tighter tolerances that have actually been measured so the VTour Van/builders know exactly what they're working with.

Sometimes there are different options. The R11 DOT head for example that was 420cc instead of 440. Launched and spun a bit different but was mostly for those playing different weighting in their shaft/club. Or for example the Adams VST hybrid which looks like a A12 Pro hybrid from the top but the bottom has the velocity slot like the XTD/F12's.

Forget my future purchase of Pro a12s. I want this VST. Can I get it for less than $300?

Forget my future purchase of Pro a12s. I want this VST. Can I get it for less than $300?

No idea to be honest. I've only seen pictures of them this week and haven't heard of anyone with them as of yet. Most Tour Adams stuff is available though.

No idea to be honest. I've only seen pictures of them this week and haven't heard of anyone with them as of yet. Most Tour Adams stuff is available though.

Nothing on eBay. No idea where else I'd look.

All that "tour issue" or "TP" means to me is an extra $100.

Tour-issue stuff often is different from retail because its custom made to what a tour pro wants. Nike is well-known for taking a club that one of their staffers liked, copying it and rebranding it with Nike logos so that the pro will play what looks like their gear even when it isnt exactly something they offer. Just ask Tiger...LOL.
As to why people want it, IMO it boils down to exclusivity and having something special that not many other people have. IMO, its also a belief that its better because if it wants better, why wouldnt a tour pro just use something off the rack?
Ive seen plenty of Mizuno tour-issue clubs, especially Bettinardi putters that went for a pretty penny on GolfWRX and Ebay.

Nike is well-known for taking a club that one of their staffers liked, copying it and rebranding it with Nike logos so that the pro will play what looks like their gear even when it isnt exactly something they offer. Just ask Tiger...LOL.

Years ago maybe. Can you tell me when they have done this outside of TW's original irons or really anytime in years? Genuinely curious.

Some could argue that they are truly one of the most innovative out there right now.

Years ago maybe. Can you tell me when they have done this outside of TW's original irons or really anytime in years? Genuinely curious.

Some could argue that they are truly one of the most innovative out there right now.

Agree with this. I could be wrong though, and if I am, I'd love to hear the scoop on what other craziness has went down.

Just tap it in, just tap it in. Give it a little tap tap tappy. Tap tap tap-a-roo.

Oregon Golfer : I think JR hit it on the head. I had Dynamic Gold Tour Issue shafts(won from Rep), the differences are +/-.5 grams of weight versus +/-1gram for the regular DG S300's.

Nothing on eBay. No idea where else I'd look.

Contact a rep for Adams. Search their website & Twitter.

Nike is well-known for taking a club that one of their staffers liked, copying it and rebranding it with Nike logos so that the pro will play what looks like their gear even when it isnt exactly something they offer. Just ask Tiger...LOL.

You are the second person in a week I have heard say that. WeiUnderPar.com mentioned it, too. I think it was suggested that his Method putter is a Nike knockoff of his Scotty Cameron.

That would be like saying that his Scotty was a knock off of the Ping Anser. Every company out there is making a plumber's neck model and while I dont expect much in the form of equipment expertise from Stephanie Wei, I do expect better in my opinion.

That would be like saying that his Scotty was a knock off of the Ping Anser. Every company out there is making a plumber's neck model and while I dont expect much in the form of equipment expertise from Stephanie Wei, I do expect better in my opinion.

Hahahaha, I was working on how to word that about the copy/knockoff part, you nailed it though as usual.

All that "tour issue" or "TP" means to me is an extra $100.

But the TP model is usually better because of the wide range of shafts that are not made-for shafts and that you are actually fit for.

But the TP model is usually better because of the wide range of shafts that are not made-for shafts and that you are actually fit for.

"Better" is relative. That implies the regular version is less somehow. You can be fit and find the stock offering is the better option.

--
Tapatalk2

"Better" is relative. That implies the regular version is less somehow. You can be fit and find the stock offering is the better option.

--
Tapatalk2

I play the normal tfc shaft in my driver I am so ashamed.

I play TP drivers to match my forged irons

I play the normal tfc shaft in my driver I am so ashamed.

You're not serious, playing inferior shafts is for the common folk :alien:

--
Tapatalk2

You sir have drank the Kool-Aid.

You sir have drank the Kool-Aid.

You're disputing that the real shaft is not of higher quality than the "made for" shaft?

Not poking at it, just trying to make sure I'm understanding correctly here.

The shaft is the most important part of most clubs IMO. I agree with him In saying the higher quality shaft offerings is definitely a "perk" of the TP models. That is unless the "made for" shaft happens to give you the numbers you're looking for, then obviously that's the ticket.

You can't really dispute the higher quality of some shafts versus others (i.e. regular vs "made for"). However, it is disputable that the lower quality shafts might be a better fit for some. All depends on the player.

Just my $0.02

Just tap it in, just tap it in. Give it a little tap tap tappy. Tap tap tap-a-roo.

You're disputing that the real shaft is not of higher quality than the "made for" shaft?

Not poking at it, just trying to make sure I'm understanding correctly here.

The shaft is the most important part of most clubs IMO. I agree with him In saying the higher quality shaft offerings is definitely a "perk" of the TP models. That is unless the "made for" shaft happens to give you the numbers you're looking for, then obviously that's the ticket.

You can't really dispute the higher quality of some shafts versus others (i.e. regular vs "made for"). However, it is disputable that the lower quality shafts might be a better fit for some. All depends on the player.

Just my $0.02

What? Yes I do dispute that "regular" shafts are better than made-fors. You said it yourself, it all depends on the golfer. It is possible that the made-for shaft is better than the real-deal. The numbers may be better off of a made-for. Or at least equal to. And if I am getting the same numbers off of a made-for, and a "regular" shaft I am picking the made-for and using the $100 I just saved on green fees.

And just because a club, or shaft, or headcover says "Tour", doesn't make it a better club.

I just love when I see 20+ handicappers with tour caliber clubs like there going to do any justice

I just love when I see 20+ handicappers with tour caliber clubs like there going to do any justice

But, that brings into question the issue of if it's their money, then why should we give a flying flip about if they are "doing it justice" or not?

Not attacking you at all, its just one of those thins that always amazes me, who cares what someone wants to spend their money on. Same with shafts, yes for some stock if fine and fits them, for others they don't even get close alot of times, nothing wrong with someone spending extra to upgrade or for the upgraded shafts. Nothing at all, different strokes for different folks, doesn't make one way right or another way wrong.

Back