The Morgan Cup - The Official 2012 Thread

I'm excited to hear as well smalls! Should be freaking great!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Well it looks like we might hear the rest of the matchups soon as I heard from the Tour Rep a few days ago. My singles lineup was turned in a couple of days ago and looking forward to seeing what my fellow captains came up with. Team THP is anchored well and I am excited to see the matchups.

bonus! this should make for quite the interesting week. bring on the singles match-ups!

I had one of the most fun rounds I have had in a while this morning paired up with a total stranger. He asked about my Bridgestone's and I spent the entire round explaining the Morgan Cup. We talked about the whole experience so far in detail from the entry videos, Studio B fitting, to the trash talk thread and beyond. One of the few golfers I have met that really got what and amazing opportunity this really is. After the round he asked to roll my Betti and proceeded to due so for almost 20 minutes. In the end I gave him a THP epoch tee so he can find the forum as he plans on watching the coverage and following my progress. Hopefully he will join the forum as he is a super nice guy that loves the game.

Very nice! I had an opportunity to tell my groups yesterday and today about the event but was hard to get into too much detail since we were playing a Ryder Cup MGA event. Needless to say, they were impressed and jealous from what they heard.

Good stuff JB, I have been anxiously awaiting those Sunday pairings!!

I am so excited for all you guys that the actual event is just a few weeks away. I honestly woke up dreaming about the Morgan Cup this morning, and I'm not even involved this year.

I had one of the most fun rounds I have had in a while this morning paired up with a total stranger. He asked about my Bridgestone's and I spent the entire round explaining the Morgan Cup. We talked about the whole experience so far in detail from the entry videos, Studio B fitting, to the trash talk thread and beyond. One of the few golfers I have met that really got what and amazing opportunity this really is. After the round he asked to roll my Betti and proceeded to due so for almost 20 minutes. In the end I gave him a THP epoch tee so he can find the forum as he plans on watching the coverage and following my progress. Hopefully he will join the forum as he is a super nice guy that loves the game.
That's really cool Erik, seems like some people get it and are really really interested and some people either don't get it or think we're lying or something. Way to spread the word about THP and the MC buddy.

Well it looks like we might hear the rest of the matchups soon as I heard from the Tour Rep a few days ago. My singles lineup was turned in a couple of days ago and looking forward to seeing what my fellow captains came up with. Team THP is anchored well and I am excited to see the matchups.
Awesome!

I am anxiously waiting to find out who gets the beat down from me on Sunday!

Can't wait JB. So far so good! I'm sure capt chunk has us set up to win, just as he already has so far

It will be interesting to see what if any strategy was put into these match-ups. Each captain trying to figure out what kind of line-up the others teams are throwing out.

It will be interesting to see what if any strategy was put into these match-ups. Each captain trying to figure out what kind of line-up the others teams are throwing out.

I went strictly by the book. Most people would look at match play team events and do the same thing I did. Heavily weight the back of the team so that all the pressure is on the back end including "oneself".

Now I remember the question I wanted to ask...

Are the tour reps the ones putting together the matches or Morgan or some other mystery person behind the scenes?

I went strictly by the book. Most people would look at match play team events and do the same thing I did. Heavily weight the back of the team so that all the pressure is on the back end including "oneself".

Plus wouldn't each Captain want to be there to support, encourage, and watch his team off the 1st tee?

That's what biggsy and I did.

Plus wouldn't each Captain want to be there to support, encourage, and watch his team off the 1st tee?

I always thought so. That is the way my lineup was turned in. Just like last year's MC.

Are the tour reps the ones putting together the matches or Morgan or some other mystery person behind the scenes?

The 3 captains submit their line-ups and it is a blind draw as to who will play who.

Each Captain is responsible for turning in their own lineup in order on how they will tee off.

with the announcement of the final rounds, and the event being only 1 short month away...it's great to see everything starting to come together.
never in a million years would i have thought i'd be privileged enough to be part of something so special on so many levels.

the practice rounds will be awesome, the match-ups are going to be a blast, and media day will be my favorite part for sure. will loving hamming it up on camera and being able to spread the good word of THP and Cleveland Golf. (copy/paste, insert sponsor there).

meeting everyone for the first time ever, and enjoying everyone's company and being able to join this wonderful family...i will not yet attempt to put into words. going back and reading threads from everyone's post MC1 thoughts, really brings it into perspective that, that is the best part. and although, it will be a sad day when the weekend comes to a close...i look forward to being able to publish that follow-up post and hope that all the members of THP read it and just sit back and love every word.

Obviously guys like Ben Crenshaw and Paul Azinger read a different book with their strategies in the Ryder Cups in 99 and 08. Of course, I'm guessing they're not as smart as the Wow Factor, but it seemed to work out OK for those guys.

Obviously guys like Ben Crenshaw and Paul Azinger read a different book with their strategies in the Ryder Cups in 99 and 08. Of course, I'm guessing they're not as smart as the Wow Factor, but it seemed to work out OK for those guys.

You're still going on about this?

Dude, it's simple: last year the Captain's went off last, period. If I could've set an order last year I would've done just like Crenshaw in 99' and thrown out everything I had to start singles (seeing as how both teams were in big holes). Who knows, maybe if I could've/would've done that the 1st MC may have been a lot closer, especially as we probably would've won the first few matches, thus putting pressure on TP's middle and end guys.

with the announcement of the final rounds, and the event being only 1 short month away...it's great to see everything starting to come together.
never in a million years would i have thought i'd be privileged enough to be part of something so special on so many levels.

the practice rounds will be awesome, the match-ups are going to be a blast, and media day will be my favorite part for sure. will loving hamming it up on camera and being able to spread the good word of THP and Cleveland Golf. (copy/paste, insert sponsor there).

meeting everyone for the first time ever, and enjoying everyone's company and being able to join this wonderful family...i will not yet attempt to put into words. going back and reading threads from everyone's post MC1 thoughts, really brings it into perspective that, that is the best part. and although, it will be a sad day when the weekend comes to a close...i look forward to being able to publish that follow-up post and hope that all the members of THP read it and just sit back and love every word.
Sure his team will go down in a ball of flame, but here's a guy who gets in. Great post Tyno, rep added!

You're still going on about this?

Dude, it's simple: last year the Captain's went off last, period. If I could've set an order last year I would've done just like Crenshaw in 99' and thrown out everything I had to start singles (seeing as how both teams were in big holes). Who knows, maybe if I could've/would've done that the 1st MC may have been a lot closer, especially as we probably would've won the first few matches, thus putting pressure on TP's middle and end guys.

My point is that if it was such a big deal for the Captains to go off last, it's interesting that only 1 captain completely knew that. It's like when Tiger played Weir in the President's Cup a few years ago: if it's something that everyone wants, it can get set up even with a blind draw. I'll stop talking about it now.

I'm excited that there are a ton of points on the line in singles as compared to the team matches. There's more of a chance of the tide turning on Sunday, although I still believe that the overall competition will be decided before the last couple of matches on Sunday.

It's ok dude. I think that this event goes down to the wire for reasons you mentioned, that 2 points are available per person on Sunday. I hope it comes down to the last couple of matches, that would work out great for us.

To be honest, without big scoreboards out there, no one really knows how all the other matches are going until real late when others start getting done anyway.

I think the format in general will prevent the way the event was essentially over on Saturday last time...but honestly, even with two teams, I bet you could play a dozen more Morgan Cups and not end up with the blowout scenario we lived through last year.

To be honest, without big scoreboards out there, no one really knows how all the other matches are going until real late when others start getting done anyway.

I think the format in general will prevent the way the event was essentially over on Saturday last time...but honestly, even with two teams, I bet you could play a dozen more Morgan Cups and not end up with the blowout scenario we lived through last year.

I agree. It was blow out central. But so many of those matches were so close. I think Sunday is going to be far more important this year than last year, which is the way it really should be.

It's ok dude. I think that this event goes down to the wire for reasons you mentioned, that 2 points are available per person on Sunday. I hope it comes down to the last couple of matches, that would work out great for us.

I think it would set up better for your team if it wasn't 3 individual matches going on, but rather 1 big match with 3 people in it. That would be much harder to figure out scoring, so for simplicity, the 3 individual matches per grouping makes more sense.

You are still carrying on about this? Seriously? The guys went in a different way than I did. It was their choice and I decided I would go the same way that the MC did last year. Good lord, grab some of Yorkem's tools and get the panties out.

Why did you not mention any of the other team events? How were they set up?

I think most people liked the blind draw aspect of the matchups rather than have captains or people arguing about who should play who to make it "fair". It is what it is....Just surprising is all.

Back