I Need To Work On My Game To Keep Up

I've pulled it off once, and had One-t as a witness. 2nd shot on a Par 5, I used the F3 from like 235 and the ball ended up about 8'' from the cup. I've tried it many times and I either hosel it or hit it dead straight out of bounds.
I cant even comprehend the shot. No can do for me.
Witnessed it once at Windermere. Part of my jaw is still laying in the 11th fairway.

Tried this shot on Saturday, t'was a horrendous result.
Hahaha, it was awesome though.

Seriously thought JB, your original ponder is interesting. I'm the shaft tester for THP and there are certain things about shafts that I've never felt that others can. It is what it is man. I just want something that makes my ball go high and far and with control.

I hosel'd the pee out of my attempt today with the 3i on a par 5. Made me sad.

So...am I at least "quasi" outing approved now because of Austin? I mean I was there even thought half of my game was not LOL

You absolutely are dude.

Seriously thought JB, your original ponder is interesting. I'm the shaft tester for THP and there are certain things about shafts that I've never felt that others can. It is what it is man. I just want something that makes my ball go high and far and with control.

I agree dude. I still think that the more I study this stuff (equipment) the more I realize how big a role marketing plays in opinions. I also believe that when it starts playing a huge role, we end up with things that I call the "regurgitation factor", but that is neither here nor there.

I just believe that it is truly staggering that so many people do not struggle with the game, when it comes to hitting all the shots. Do not struggle with the game when it comes to hitting the ball further than most would ever dream. And do not struggle with the game as it pertains to feeling things that most experts cannot even feel. Maybe I am just missing something.

You will reach enlightenment soon grasshopper. We just need a few x-stiff shafts and some tour prototype heads in that bag of yours, and you will be there.
You absolutely are dude.

I agree dude. I still think that the more I study this stuff (equipment) the more I realize how big a role marketing plays in opinions. I also believe that when it starts playing a huge role, we end up with things that I call the "regurgitation factor", but that is neither here nor there.

I just believe that it is truly staggering that so many people do not struggle with the game, when it comes to hitting all the shots. Do not struggle with the game when it comes to hitting the ball further than most would ever dream. And do not struggle with the game as it pertains to feeling things that most experts cannot even feel. Maybe I am just missing something.

I think that's just part of being on a forum. Maybe there's just certain words that can portray what one feels? I know I have a heck of a hard time trying to put into words what I'm feeling and seeing. Truth is, I can't honestly tell you if KBS', CFS', or PXi's launch a 7iron higher than the next one. I really can't, not with my eye. Everything I hit goes pretty high, but I know which ones I think I carry furthest, but then is that a shaft thing or a complete package thing (shaft/head/ball/swing)? I tend to think it's the latter. I guess I'm just learning that dispersion on the course is far more important to me than anything else. It's funny how I've matured/grown as a golfer. This time last year, I was distance obsessed.

You absolutely are dude.

Yay! hahaha

You know, its like why I HATE talking about feel in testing if I can at all avoid it, because it always ends up in cliches and that regurgitation factor for me, or at least I feel like it does. I dunno, its certainly interesting to sit back and look at though. I know I'm guilty of it some I'm sure though, I dunno why though.

So is it a matter of a lot of people being what you call an "internet golfer?" I know I can't hit all the shots. I try to play my "Nate-straight" fade all day, with mixed results. I can't really hit a knockdown shot (maybe I need to take lessons from Esox), and I know I can't draw the ball when I want/need to.

I think that's just part of being on a forum. Maybe there's just certain words that can portray what one feels? I know I have a heck of a hard time trying to put into words what I'm feeling and seeing. Truth is, I can't honestly tell you if KBS', CFS', or PXi's launch a 7iron higher than the next one. I really can't, not with my eye. Everything I hit goes pretty high, but I know which ones I think I carry furthest, but then is that a shaft thing or a complete package thing (shaft/head/ball/swing)? I tend to think it's the latter. I guess I'm just learning that dispersion on the course is far more important to me than anything else. It's funny how I've matured/grown as a golfer. This time last year, I was distance obsessed.

Bolded for absolute truth.

That right there is exactly why so many put so much stock in your thoughts/findings. Hell I've learned a literal crap ton just from reading your shaft reviews on the homepage. Many struggle with wording something proper, case in point 98.7% of my post.

--
Tapatalk2

You will reach enlightenment soon grasshopper. We just need a few x-stiff shafts and some tour prototype heads in that bag of yours, and you will be there.

You know though JR, I know its a joke but I play X in my driver and fairway right now and have a proto driver head coming, I play the X's to try and get more accuracy (or what my mind see's as that) and the proto is because its pretty and I wanted it! LOL Does this mean you hate me?

I'm obviously kidding entirely though, I'm picking up what you're putting down, its like I said in the "tour" thread last night, in the end its about what you want to pay for out of your pocket and play...nothing more...but some people make it into so much more and they always will. Its an internet thing I guess.

I don't know but I like this topic and it shouldn't be in this thread.

Yay! hahaha

You know, its like why I HATE talking about feel in testing if I can at all avoid it, because it always ends up in cliches and that regurgitation factor for me, or at least I feel like it does. I dunno, its certainly interesting to sit back and look at though. I know I'm guilty of it some I'm sure though, I dunno why though.

I think everybody is to an extent.

So is it a matter of a lot of people being what you call an "internet golfer?" I know I can't hit all the shots. I try to play my "Nate-straight" fade all day, with mixed results. I can't really hit a knockdown shot (maybe I need to take lessons from Esox), and I know I can't draw the ball when I want/need to.

Not at all. I have no reason to doubt what people say about their game and frankly don't care enough to put a lot of thought into it. But when you see guys that are a 7-12 handicap (that they openly discuss) and they are discussing hitting shots routinely, you wonder about your own game. They are seeing and feeling things that defy all the stuff you have learned, they are noticing tendencies that the club maker themselves cannot pick up. It makes me wonder what I should be working on to get these levels that they are seeing.

Yay! hahaha

I "feel" where you are coming from. I suck too bad to even use the word feel.

Not sure. I was hoping someone else could decide and come up with a good title, lol

I will make some changes. I will put it together in a proper thread for you.

Means everything to me. I'll take a straight 250 yard drive then a 300 drive into the deep rough and such.

Just reading the title of the thread makes me wonder what you have to keep up to? Just the shot shaping or the perceptions of what's occurring at impact?

It was a serious thought. I mean I read every post on here and sometimes I just wish I was capable of what so many are.

I wish I was capable of your short game dude :act-up:

Means everything to me. I'll take a straight 250 yard drive then a 300 drive into the deep rough and such.

Honestly, this is why I went with the 14* Mashie. Give me the fairway, I'm so much better when I'm in the fairway off the tee than the tree's. JB and Cookie can vouch for this. My ego has gone away alot over the last year, its fun to see the guys who can actually bomb it for real, but I'll never be that guy.

Just reading the title of the thread makes me wonder what you have to keep up to? Just the shot shaping or the perceptions of what's occurring at impact?

THe entire thing. Im absolutely shocked at some of things people are pulling off and people are capable of doing. I hope some of these people make it to outings or Tour Van events so I can see them in person, because I am fascinated. As you know, I spend more time studying the inner workings of golf equipment than almost anybody I know. Yet it appears that people are finding things and feeling things that few knew were even capable of being picked up. Then add to that the ability that some golfers that I am pretty sure I would beat on the golf course based on index, are capable of hitting every workable shot in the book and routinely do it with no issues. Then compound that with the idea that I am getting outdriven by every person on this forum that has never been to an outing and I am puzzled.

I actually have spoken to 3 people about it today and have some ideas.

I would be interested in hearing what those ideas are. It is what it is, you'll get all kinds of folks who make stuff up, that's for sure. I was the exact opposite on THP. I used to really play down my golf abilities, then I came to that first ever little THP gathering and I guess the secret was out after that. I've always preferred being on the other end of the spectrum. I don't know why that is either. I should be proud of my scores and the hard work I put in, but I just feel like I'll be pegged into a corner if I do.

Heck, just look at any "what are your distance's" thread or whatever. I know I've been guilty of exaggerating some, but JB is right, its amazing to see.

Crap, I hit a legit 165 yard 8i a couple times today and was giddy like a school girl, for some they say that is their PW distance. Its alot to wrap one's head around. The best thing I did to knock my ego down was the GPS and seeing REAL distances, not eyeballed ones. Seriously.

Interesting post JB, you had me laughing at first, but then you got me thinking. How much about what we think we feel with a golf club is what we were told we should by advertising?
I'm not 100% sure if I've liked some products or not in the past just because I was told I was supposed to like them, and that I picked up a different club and hated it because I just didn't like the advertising and others I respect said they didn't like it either.

All I know is recently I've been playing to the middle of every green unless I have a wedge in my hand and trying to play a shot that lands resonably close to that middle of the green goal.

Well for what it's worth as a 3.9 index. I improved my game simply by getting to a single index and then quitting.
I just show up to the course load up the cart and then head to the clubhouse and talk about golf and drink.

I think you're right breezy, there's certain stuff I'll go into with a preconceived notion b/c dudes here I respect don't like said product. How interesting.

Heck, just look at any "what are your distance's" thread or whatever. I know I've been guilty of exaggerating some, but JB is right, its amazing to see.

Crap, I hit a legit 165 yard 8i a couple times today and was giddy like a school girl, for some they say that is their PW distance. Its alot to wrap one's head around. The best thing I did to knock my ego down was the GPS and seeing REAL distances, not eyeballed ones. Seriously.
Interesting anecdote from a member at my club who doesn't really have an ego with his golf game. He's 63 and plays off a 2 index and laughs about how short he is off the tee and with all his clubs. He did a fitting at our club the other day with a launch monitor to get fit for clubs, and to find out his true carry yardage with each club.

Well even this guy who thought he hit his 6 iron 150 carry, found out that he actually hits his 5 iron 150 carry. Since finding this out he was shocked, but is now down to a 1 index because he's hitting the proper clubs into greens now.

Back