What does the Morgan Cup mean to you?

Guys this thread was started about getting an idea of what the event meant to people. I think there has been some great information posted, some misinformation posted (that was corrected), and some awesome opinions. Its opinions that make everything we do here better...Including this event. Take last year for example. People did not like the way the entries were done (first come first served), so we changed it to make it completely neutral. Have people that have no idea who anybody is on the forum, judge the video submissions made by the members. Then to show that it was what we were saying, we broadcasted the entire thing live so people could see both the videos and the expressions of the people that watched them. Not everybody was pleased, but we have learned you cannot please everybody when it comes to "selections". But rather than get long winded here (i do that from time to time about things I am passionate about), I will just say that all opinions are welcome. There is no right or wrong, they are your perceptions of an event that is a pretty big deal here.

Lets keep this one about that and less about "where is ABC person".

No doubt! I am also on vacation and will get to it when i get back. I havent taken a vacation with my wife since our honeymoon. So, i am enjoying my time. The morgan cup means a ton to me, and so does my family. People in it and not in it can look at it as selfish or rude but i know i get what this event is about and i look forward to sharing my thoughts later.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Just hope you know that your team doesn't look at you as being selfish or rude at all. You've been a great Hacker man. Truly

I'm not sure there's anything that would increase my interest. This is not meant as a "put down" by any means.

Not taking it that way at all. I was just wondering if there was something that we could do better. I have zero issues with anyone saying something that is less than positive. Its the best way to grow IMO. Tell me what I can do better. If I don't do it than its on me.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Not taking it that way at all. I was just wondering if there was something that we could do better. I have zero issues with anyone saying something that is less than positive. Its the best way to grow IMO. Tell me what I can do better. If I don't do it than its on me.

Ok then grow! LOL

Good post hankster. I think you hit on some good points. I just have a hard time with folks being critical b/c they have no clue what it entails. They're sitting at home thinking only about how sweet the gear would be and that they could be just as active or more. That's fine. I've seen hundreds of people get chances to prove themselves with forum testing and absolutely drop the ball. You can't do that then be critical. Sorry. It is a huge commitment and one that you should seriously think about before opting in or whatever.

If there is another MC and there's no Team THP, I won't be applying. I've had a blast for two years but I'm ready to watch some others get a chance to experience it, prove me wrong, and do a better job than me with the things they are being critical about. And I'll be here reading, commenting, supporting, and watching. Mark my words.

If anyone doubts that they are crazy, and I will be there doing it with you bro.

What does the Morgan Cup mean to me...

The Morgan Cup is an amateur's peek into the life of a pro golfer. The amateur gets to experience everything that a pro player does during the week of an event. It's not all just fun and games for the pro's either. They have to shoot promo videos. Which the Morgan Cupper's will be doing also. They get to play with some of the most awesome golfer's that play the game. Sure we aren't pro's but we get to do the same thing. Except on our level (well some of us are, other's should be with the pro's...LOL). They get to play some beautiful courses that are in amazing shape. Again, the MCer's are doing this as well. Like the pro's the MCer's will be sporting some of the nicest gear on the planet. Then they have to tell the world about the product just the like pro's do with a little difference in the way it's conveyed. Plus have to tell about their experience. Why wouldn't they want to? While they are doing all of this. They get to talk smack and promote the event as much as they can. Every member of my home course always asks me what part of the process I am at. And it's nice. I know a bunch of them are some of the lurker's on here (I'm really not wierd and Ohioian's for the most part are ok). And don't forget it's a compitition. There will be winner's and there will be guys who don't win. There are no losers in this event. With everything that we get to experience it is a winning situation for all. The fact that all the sponors are on every team. No matter what team wins the sponsors win (this was genius). As they should. To me it really means that dreams can come true. Sure, I may never play on the tour. But I can say I experienced everything that the pro's do. It's something that will I will always have as a great memory. It will be really hard to top the golf memories I will have over the weekend at the end of July.

I hope this next part doesn't upset anyone but I of all people know that this isn't an "IN" event...

The first Morgan Cup is what actually brought me to THP. I saw a post about it on Facebook somewhere. Got all excited. Immediatly joined the forum and tried to qualify. Needless to say I upset alot of the members. To the point where they almost didn't want me here anymore. Then it hit me what "THP" was. Then I calmed down and asked for forgiveness. Everyone gladly accepeted my apology. It took a while for everyone to come around to me. I really felt with everything that had happened with me trying to get into the first one, that I would never get into the second one. I tried to become part of the THP family. When the 2nd MC annoucement came around. I qualified. But still thought I would never get picked even if I did send in some videos. I said what the heck sent them in and look! Anyone can get in if you try. I don't like hearing that it's an "in" crowd thing. Cuz as you all know I was really hated at first. So, I'm definitely not in the "in" crowd. I don't even think there is an "in" crowd. Sure there are forum leaders and the site owner. But come on! They do it all for us... We can do this for them...

Grr at you WR! Bullfrog very nice thoughts

I want to point out something about THP first, and then talk about the Morgan Cup. (Uh oh, this could be a long post ... sorry!)

I joined, or think I did, THP right before it blew up all over the internet. I got to see the number of members grow quickly in just over a year that I've been a part of this place. IMHO, THP has always, and continues to be, filled with real people. Short, Tall, Skinny, Fat, Book-Smart, Street-Smart, Country-Smart, High-Handicap, Low - as long as you show respect, you will be respected.

At first I joined and read lots of thread, posted here and there, but as I got to understand the generosity of the people on THP, I realized that this was a group I wanted to be more connected with. When someone shares something deeply personal, the outpouring of support is astounding. People sending their best thoughts, good vibrations like I do (hey, I'm a SoCal kid!) and even offering their personal time to listen, share, and even give someone a break.

Because of this, it confuses me that people would feel that TMCII is an event for a reserved "inside" group of people. Never once in all the trash talk, equipment threads, announcement threads or anything else related to the Morgan Cup did I feel like I was an outsider. I won't pretend that I'm an "insider," I've only met White Rhino and PattyBlind9, however, it seems to me THP is as inclusive as you want it to be.

Are there "cliques" ... sure. Sometimes you meet in person and you just connect with someone or a few someones better than you do with others. It is natural, however I always felt (and continue to feel) that my contributions are appreciated by the THP Community, JB, GG, and the THP Staff - even when being challenged on some opinion I post.

As this is "The Hackers Paradise," The Morgan Cup is one of those rare opportunities where us hackers get to, for a moment, step outside our normal lives and get the five-star treatment. The fact that after one year, and almost near the second event, TMC is such a huge draw of attention really speaks to how well the concept resonates with the THP Community, the supporting companies and the general public. And I know, whether I'm playing or not, my support of THP makes TMC possible. I hope I'm lucky enough to fulfill the entry challenge in such a way I get picked, IF, IF we are lucky enough to get a THIRD Morgan Cup.

If I could have made the trip from the Bay, I would have loved to be part of the support staff, shake the hands of these people who I've been following for months and thank the sponsors - let them know how much their support of THP influences my golf purchasing decisions, these people aren't in it for charity, we should let them know we appreciate them and vote with our $'s.

The Morgan Cup, IMHO, is unique. Nothing like it. I look forward to trying to keep up on all the threads as we inch closer and closer.

Well said D_in_LA! Rep added my friend!

Great post d_in_la.

I want to add something I didn't put in my post the other day. As many of you know i'm from Ireland and have put a lot of effort into saving money for this trip. I knew when I entered it was never going to be a cheap trip. TMC is my myself and Regina's holiday for the next 2 years. But I see every cent as money well spent if it gives me the chance to be involved in such an event.

I also hope that my being part of this years MC will open the flood gates for others outside the US to enter next year.

And you get chance to be an EFFIN Rockstar come on how cool is that !!!!!!

I want to point out something about THP first, and then talk about the Morgan Cup. (Uh oh, this could be a long post ... sorry!)

I joined, or think I did, THP right before it blew up all over the internet. I got to see the number of members grow quickly in just over a year that I've been a part of this place. IMHO, THP has always, and continues to be, filled with real people. Short, Tall, Skinny, Fat, Book-Smart, Street-Smart, Country-Smart, High-Handicap, Low - as long as you show respect, you will be respected.

At first I joined and read lots of thread, posted here and there, but as I got to understand the generosity of the people on THP, I realized that this was a group I wanted to be more connected with. When someone shares something deeply personal, the outpouring of support is astounding. People sending their best thoughts, good vibrations like I do (hey, I'm a SoCal kid!) and even offering their personal time to listen, share, and even give someone a break.

Because of this, it confuses me that people would feel that TMCII is an event for a reserved "inside" group of people. Never once in all the trash talk, equipment threads, announcement threads or anything else related to the Morgan Cup did I feel like I was an outsider. I won't pretend that I'm an "insider," I've only met White Rhino and PattyBlind9, however, it seems to me THP is as inclusive as you want it to be.

Are there "cliques" ... sure. Sometimes you meet in person and you just connect with someone or a few someones better than you do with others. It is natural, however I always felt (and continue to feel) that my contributions are appreciated by the THP Community, JB, GG, and the THP Staff - even when being challenged on some opinion I post.

As this is "The Hackers Paradise," The Morgan Cup is one of those rare opportunities where us hackers get to, for a moment, step outside our normal lives and get the five-star treatment. The fact that after one year, and almost near the second event, TMC is such a huge draw of attention really speaks to how well the concept resonates with the THP Community, the supporting companies and the general public. And I know, whether I'm playing or not, my support of THP makes TMC possible. I hope I'm lucky enough to fulfill the entry challenge in such a way I get picked, IF, IF we are lucky enough to get a THIRD Morgan Cup.

If I could have made the trip from the Bay, I would have loved to be part of the support staff, shake the hands of these people who I've been following for months and thank the sponsors - let them know how much their support of THP influences my golf purchasing decisions, these people aren't in it for charity, we should let them know we appreciate them and vote with our $'s.

The Morgan Cup, IMHO, is unique. Nothing like it. I look forward to trying to keep up on all the threads as we inch closer and closer.

Very well said!

I want to thank each of you that took the time to put your thoughts down. It is always nice to get opinions from all different walks of life and as I have stated a few times, there is no right or wrong, just info.

I am honest to goodness saddened that we did not hear from some that have participated, but it is what it is and I just embrace those that took the time to give us their thoughts on the matter.

I think there are some really great posts. I have not yet jotted things down, but I wanted to wait a little. I'll throw down some thoughts tonight. I don't think anyone can really question my passion and appreciation for everything The Morgan Cup is. I hope that it continues to gain support through the forum and the golf industry because it really is the pinnacle of a golfing experience for us amateurs.

Great post d_in_la.

I want to add something I didn't put in my post the other day. As many of you know i'm from Ireland and have put a lot of effort into saving money for this trip. I knew when I entered it was never going to be a cheap trip. TMC is my myself and Regina's holiday for the next 2 years. But I see every cent as money well spent if it gives me the chance to be involved in such an event.

I also hope that my being part of this years MC will open the flood gates for others outside the US to enter next year.

And you get chance to be an EFFIN Rockstar come on how cool is that !!!!!!

This. And have a company sent you pretty much whatever you want- it is the chance of a lifetime.

This thread has been pretty enlightening in some ways and possibly helped people get their thoughts in order about how they were seeing TMC. Thanks to Freddie for that! I hated seeing anyone show a bit of disgust, in a thread like this, to those who spoke negatively. Right, wrong, good, or bad your thoughts were your own and speaking what you really thought was surely what the op was wanting.

The Morgan Cup is a huge deal, extremely hard work, costly and time consuming, it's just not a fit for everyone yet everyone wants to be included. I think all of us who submitted entries felt a little left out after not being picked, but that's more a sign of how huge and valued something like this really is. To characterize this as "Biased" or "Only the In-Group" is incorrect, IMHO, but if some feel that way then they have the right to what they think and need to be able to verbalize that without being looked down on. Honesty is always best.

The Morgan Cup is destined to be huge every time it kicks off and I will continue to support it as well as those who are picked to be involved, even if I'm not posting away with them daily on every post. These guy's work their collective butts off and are fully deserving of all the kudos we can give them.

Edit: just my own two cents here. Has anyone thought about Kelly coming from Ireland? Think that's a cheap trip, or not overly time consuming? How about the fact that he's a newbe, think that might make things tough trying to fit in and do all the workload needed here? Great job buddy!

This thread has been pretty enlightening in some ways and possibly helped people get their thoughts in order about how they were seeing TMC. Thanks to Freddie for that! I hated seeing anyone show a bit of disgust, in a thread like this, to those who spoke negatively. Right, wrong, good, or bad your thoughts were your own and speaking what you really thought was surely what the op was wanting.

The Morgan Cup is a huge deal, extremely hard work, costly and time consuming, it's just not a fit for everyone yet everyone wants to be included. I think all of us who submitted entries felt a little left out after not being picked, but that's more a sign of how huge and valued something like this really is. To characterize this as "Biased" or "Only the In-Group" is incorrect, IMHO, but if some feel that way then they have the right to what they think and need to be able to verbalize that without being looked down on. Honesty is always best.

The Morgan Cup is destined to be huge every time it kicks off and I will continue to support it as well as those who are picked to be involved, even if I'm not posting away with them daily on every post. These guy's work their collective butts off and are fully deserving of all the kudos we can give them.

Edit: just my own two cents here. Has anyone thought about Kelly coming from Ireland? Think that's a cheap trip, or not overly time consuming? How about the fact that he's a newbe, think that might make things tough trying to fit in and do all the workload needed here? Great job buddy!

Yes, I most definitely have. It is a HUGE commitment and as he mentioned this is his and Regina's (girlfriend) holiday (AKA vacation) for the next 2 years. Honored that he would want to spend that time with THP, says a TON about him AND Regina. I am stoked to be sharing a condo with him and Regina in SC!!

Yes, I most definitely have. It is a HUGE commitment and as he mentioned this is his and Regina's (girlfriend) holiday (AKA vacation) for the next 2 years. Honored that he would want to spend that time with THP, says a TON about him AND Regina. I am stoked to be sharing a condo with him and Regina in SC!!

Exactly my thoughts man. Very very cool.

I was lucky enough to participate in the first MC so I get the unique perspective of having been in one and getting to see one happen to a mix of new guys this time around. To me its about a lot of things. A close to a tour experience as many of us will ever come. Playing world class courses. Hours and hours of preparation and practice. Getting the chance to rep sponsors and play their equipment. Playing some great golf with and against some friends from THP. And then going back and spending time with these same friends enjoying dinner and drinks. Sharing all of this with the forum. I struggle with having to watch it unfold this year and not be a part of it. It is what it is. For me what it is not is trash talking. My opinion and I know its not shared by everyone but I feel this greatly detracts from a truly unique and amazing experience. Just my .02

Interesting viewpoint on the trash talking Kmac, I was not aware you felt that way.

Interesting viewpoint on the trash talking Kmac, I was not aware you felt that way.

Yeah its probably a better topic for the next "Morgan Cup - What would you change?" type of thread but I felt like throwing it in there. Dont want to derail this thread about it.

Yeah its probably a better topic for the next "Morgan Cup - What would you change?" type of thread but I felt like throwing it in there. Dont want to derail this thread about it.

We share similar viewpoints on a lot of things about the Morgan Cup.

I was lucky enough to participate in the first MC so I get the unique perspective of having been in one and getting to see one happen to a mix of new guys this time around. To me its about a lot of things. A close to a tour experience as many of us will ever come. Playing world class courses. Hours and hours of preparation and practice. Getting the chance to rep sponsors and play their equipment. Playing some great golf with and against some friends from THP. And then going back and spending time with these same friends enjoying dinner and drinks. Sharing all of this with the forum. I struggle with having to watch it unfold this year and not be a part of it. It is what it is. For me what it is not is trash talking. My opinion and I know its not shared by everyone but I feel this greatly detracts from a truly unique and amazing experience. Just my .02

:clapp: :thumb:

Yes we do and I know we probably dont agree on each and every thing (who does?) but we do agree on a lot of of it.

If you don't mind me asking JB. What are GGs thoughts on it? I mean it is named after her! Haha

Possible that we hear from her side you have already chimed in saying you'll wait

Back