Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

High temp of 100 degrees today baby! I can't think of better weather to go out and play golf in as I prepare for the Morgan Cup.

I knew you would get it straightened out quickly Dean.

Great update DeanO, that was good to read as I didn't like reading about how down you were lately. Its amazing how such small little things can effect our swings in big ways.

Nice job, deano. What was the benefit of setting up open like that?

Thanks guys. Leaving the lesson last night was the complete opposite feeling that I had from the week before. I know I put in a lot more work last week than I normally do. Glad it payed off in those areas.

Hawk apparently I always aimed to the right, like way to the right. Which when I would come OTT and then cut the ball back it would kind of work out. But they weren't good swings, and more times than not, not good results. I guess the way I was aimed made it very difficult to get to the inside of the ball and try to hit more of a draw, but mostly a straight ball with a stronger flight. Last night at least with my feet slightly open and shoulders aligned the same I was able to made solid contact from the inside and get the kind of ball flight we were looking for. I'm going to work on it a bunch this week and see if it works consistently for me or not.

Very nice. I know that when I'm coming from the inside like I want to, my ball flight is better and my distance goes up quite a bit. That's a good thing for non-beasts like us.

Very nice. I know that when I'm coming from the inside like I want to, my ball flight is better and my distance goes up quite a bit. That's a good thing for non-beasts like us.

yup, so that's what we were trying to accomplish last night. I'm pretty excited to get out tonight and work on it.

nice round g!

You will be ready buddy. Nice round.

Thanks guys. Everything is coming back baby. Didn't get to play today due to wedding obligations and errands that had to get done. Playing 18 tomorrow though and hoping for a follow up performance.

yup, so that's what we were trying to accomplish last night. I'm pretty excited to get out tonight and work on it.

Good news Cap. Glad you got fixed what you needed!

Thanks guys. Leaving the lesson last night was the complete opposite feeling that I had from the week before. I know I put in a lot more work last week than I normally do. Glad it payed off in those areas.

Hawk apparently I always aimed to the right, like way to the right. Which when I would come OTT and then cut the ball back it would kind of work out. But they weren't good swings, and more times than not, not good results. I guess the way I was aimed made it very difficult to get to the inside of the ball and try to hit more of a draw, but mostly a straight ball with a stronger flight. Last night at least with my feet slightly open and shoulders aligned the same I was able to made solid contact from the inside and get the kind of ball flight we were looking for. I'm going to work on it a bunch this week and see if it works consistently for me or not.

This is interesting stuff Dean. I have had a simlar issue that always seemed to correct itself when I use alignment sticks at the range but never really put 2 and 2 together until just now. Man, I need to hit the range tonight.

I hit 75 balls and chipped/putted for 30 minutes. Working on a little different setup in the putting stroke at the suggestion of my instructor. Nothing major - just a little forward press to keep my wrist flat and my stroke a little shorter. Took a little adjustment time for speed, but it was coming along nicely. Hit the ball well until a clinic started all around me and I had to listen to swing advice given to 10 beginners haha. I probably should have jumped in.

Afterwords, went to my lesson. Honestly, I'm just frustrated right now. I talked to him a little bit about how I was hitting the ball farther and more fluidly 4 months ago (while in lessons) and I'm basically just doing the same things I've been trying to get rid of since last year. It's depressing ugh. We did some old drills and some new drills and they work, but why the hell do I just stiffen up and freeze over the ball? I'm going to keep working on it because I know it's in there somewhere and what I've learned does work. If I'm using my shoulders well, I'm not using my lower body and vice versa. Just can't get the stupid thing to all work together.

Meh.

I hit 75 balls and chipped/putted for 30 minutes. Working on a little different setup in the putting stroke at the suggestion of my instructor. Nothing major - just a little forward press to keep my wrist flat and my stroke a little shorter. Took a little adjustment time for speed, but it was coming along nicely. Hit the ball well until a clinic started all around me and I had to listen to swing advice given to 10 beginners haha. I probably should have jumped in.

Afterwords, went to my lesson. Honestly, I'm just frustrated right now. I talked to him a little bit about how I was hitting the ball farther and more fluidly 4 months ago (while in lessons) and I'm basically just doing the same things I've been trying to get rid of since last year. It's depressing ugh. We did some old drills and some new drills and they work, but why the hell do I just stiffen up and freeze over the ball? I'm going to keep working on it because I know it's in there somewhere and what I've learned does work. If I'm using my shoulders well, I'm not using my lower body and vice versa. Just can't get the stupid thing to all work together.

Meh.

Sorry to hear dude. Keep working- it'll come. One day it will all be there and feel amazing. Positives my man!

Thanks, ghsace :) This beer tastes good at least.

Thanks, ghsace :) This beer tastes good at least.

hahahaha yup. Beer always tastes good and makes everything better :act-up:

Meh.

Dude, don't beat yourself up. You will be fine. Maybe you are over thinking it? What/how many swing thoughts do you have before/during your swing?

4-5 months ago - very few. Right now a sh!t ton I guess. The thing is that he's never really put them there, but I create them for some damn reason. What I'm trying to do is extremely simple. At least it was at one time. Right now, it's just not.

I figure I'm going to go play a different course that I happen to love on Sunday and just try to forget all that crap. I'm getting the irons back with the lie angle I need and I'll try to chill a bit. Believe it or not, it has nothing to do with the Morgan Cup for me. I just sort of expected more at this point in the season.

4-5 months ago - very few. Right now a sh!t ton I guess. The thing is that he's never really put them there, but I create them for some damn reason. What I'm trying to do is extremely simple. At least it was at one time. Right now, it's just not.

I figure I'm going to go play a different course that I happen to love on Sunday and just try to forget all that crap. I'm getting the irons back with the lie angle I need and I'll try to chill a bit. Believe it or not, it has nothing to do with the Morgan Cup for me. I just sort of expected more at this point in the season.

I completely understand bro. I have had one thought the last 18 holes I played. Take a confident swing. Forget the rest and have some fun on Sunday.

Thanks, yorkem! That's a good idea.

I'm not gonna lie. It didn't go so well tonight. I think my irons are pissed at me for replacing them tomorrow.

Oh well, tons of prep this weekend and next with getting used to my new irons and next weekend is our annual Bakker Crossing Pro Am (Dakotas Tour) (mini mini mini tour around parts of the Midwest).

I'm not gonna lie. It didn't go so well tonight. I think my irons are pissed at me for replacing them tomorrow.

Oh well, tons of prep this weekend and next with getting used to my new irons and next weekend is our annual Bakker Crossing Pro Am (Dakotas Tour) (mini mini mini tour around parts of the Midwest).
hey buddy, I didn't play well tonight at all either. In fact I played like straight up poo, on top of the fact it was just one of those days where when I did hit a good shot it turned out terribly. In the end it was an 89 which is quite possibly the worst round of golf I've played in months.

I'm not concerned about it at all as I haven't been playing a lot of golf lately but good lord was I getting frustrated out there. THe one shining moment is that I had the KP on one hole, and my short game was very good, and was the only thing that didn't allow the round to get into the dreaded 90's.

3 day weekend coming up...lots of golf will be played...probably 72 holes or more....with some range work thrown in for good measure. I really need to get the irons dialed in...I feel like I am hitting my driver, fairway woods and hybrids really well and my wedges are in decent shape...just got to get the irons dialed in.

LOL, aren't you replacing them with the same exact irons?

Well the last few days my prep has consisted of just resting. I haven't had a day off work in over 3 weeks and I've been putting in 10 hours a day in our warehouse that has no air conditioning and it has been friggin hot. When I get home I work on homework and then I have just crashed from exhaustion. The last time I went out to walk 18 holes last week I stopped at 14 because I was just too tired. I needed the rest the last few days. I got ahead on homework and after work I've been going home and taking some nice naps. I feel like a little kid with all the naps I've been taking. Anyhow, I'm starting to feel rejuvinated and I should be getting out for a couple birthday rounds this weekend. I'm looking forward to getting the new irons back out there I am loving them so far.

Shake it off Breezy, I shrugged last night off since I had been playing really well prior to that. Bad rounds creep in there....I won't let it ruin the confidence I have going. Plus the 2 extra holes we played after league I hit some very solid shots and par'd those.

Sweet! I can't keep up with all the packages the Bstone staffers are receiving.
Yeah what WE said. I've got the CB's showing up today.

Actually what is really messing with me right now is the fact that my lie angle is off on the irons I'm playing now. They're +2 degrees upright, which is what I was fit for last summer but that was also last summer when my swing was 10 kinds of jacked up. Now that I'm swinging the club better and back to what I'd call normal I was recently fit back to standard which is what my new CB's are. I'm missing everything long and left now, which is the exact opposite of what I had been doing early this season and a good part of last year.

Yeah, I know what it's like to want to aim to play the cut shot Jake, only to see the ball draw a little. That's definitely something that can be difficult to work with.

Back