Cleveland 588 CB Forged Irons

Makes sense to me. Hell, the punch out alone is a great shot to have that I didn't really have confidence in (with irons) until this last year. Jeez, I just want to go play right now.

Makes sense to me. Hell, the punch out alone is a great shot to have that I didn't really have confidence in (with irons) until this last year. Jeez, I just want to go play right now.
That's a great feeling isn't it? Good work on getting things spec'd out right bro, you'll be so glad you did.

good things, good things.
i think after the Hawkster's tale...i shall venture to my fitter and have my irons/swing examined.
what the hell right? it can only get better...

SW, sounds like they are a prefect combo for you. That is good to hear. Hopefully they keep performing that way for you.

Man, those 588 forged irons look sweet...I hope I get to take a few swings with those in MB!

good things, good things.
i think after the Hawkster's tale...i shall venture to my fitter and have my irons/swing examined.
what the hell right? it can only get better...

That's a great feeling isn't it? Good work on getting things spec'd out right bro, you'll be so glad you did.

Is it pretty common to get the lie angle adjusted on irons after purchasing them?

Is it pretty common to get the lie angle adjusted on irons after purchasing them?

Depends. If you buy them in store usually you get it done then. I've had them checked with my last set after playing for 6 months. Swings can change a bit which might change your proper angles.

--
Tapatalk2

To me that is the best thing about forged irons. They are very easy to bend and adjust as needed.

Glad you got them all tuned up Hawk!

Do you really think so though? Both offer similar lines/offset/grooved real estate. In fact, the 588's might be a hair bigger overall (minus sole thickness). Both offer a full cavity and shouldn't be too forgiving on mishits. What style of golfer would bag 588's and not i20's, and vice versa? I am genuinely curious and would love your thoughts.

I think the sole difference between them makes them lean a little more either way the side of the digger/picker divide. The i20's are murderous, at least to me, on thinned shots. The 588's performed about as well as I could expect there. I was really quite impressed.
I'd also argue the sleeker lines of the club makes them draw the eye differently off the rack then the i20's.

One has to ask themselves, why? Why would you choose a combo set? Are you unable to work the ball with the CB? Even lower ball flight? What is the reason other than to "have blades" does one choose to have the combo set?

Mental game and looks.
A: They look gorgeous. Look good, play good translated through clothes to clubs for me.
B: It makes me feel like I've got a wedge in my hand and the pin is at my mercy. Whether reality matches that thought is something else but I've found all my best results with iron sets have come through combo sets. Plus in about the 7 and down, I don't see much difference in the performance. It's the 5/6 where the CB side shines.

FWIW guys I love the reviews going on in this thread. I've been guilty of being a lurker here without commenting but I am reading. Your updates are not in vain.

To me that is the best thing about forged irons. They are very easy to bend and adjust as needed.

Depends. If you buy them in store usually you get it done then. I've had them checked with my last set after playing for 6 months. Swings can change a bit which might change your proper angles.

--
Tapatalk2

Gotcha. Thanks for the information fellas.

Things here have been so wet lately that I haven't been out to the course. I have a round planned this weekend, so I'll get some more time on the course with them. Been seriously jonesing to play.

I did get a chance to jump in the simulator however and really could not be more thrilled with how good these irons really are. After my two rounds and a couple of range sessions, these irons are serious contenders for finding a permanent spot in my bag. Like some of others have said, I hope people find their way to hit them, you'll be glad you did.

Work's been nuts. That's fine. But having a bum leg sucks. I couldn't help it, I decided to stop during my lunch break and test it out. Actually, I just wanted to hit these irons again, plus see how my leg stood up to the golf swing. I must say, I'm glad I stopped. I didn't feel any discomfort and better yet, I don't feel any now. I must say that I sure as hell enjoyed hitting these today. There's something about the sound of these at impact that's super infectious. Very different compared to anything I've hit in the past couple of years for sure.

I'm really excited about having these irons in my bag. They are an extension of my swing and my personality on the golf course. I take a lot of pride in my golf game with my iron play and these really reward my hard work. I find that they pack a mean punch into the golf ball and that too is addictive as hell.

All in all, I'm glad I stopped to hit some balls, even if it was just a small bucket. Cleveland sure has a winner on their hands with these irons. I hope more folks get the chance to give them a whirl.
That's really fantastic news, TC, glad to hear it.

It depends on the player, but yes. I know some people that get them checked often because they change through the course of play. Given how soft these clubs are, it's an easy thing to do.

I think it really depends on the golfer. I know I like to go into any iron order knowing my specifications so I can have the manufacturer build them to my specs. Mostly b/c mine are a bit extreme. My 588's were built 1/2'' longer and 3* upright. Ordering these with standard length and lie would mean that I would have to have some drastic changes made to them locally, which honestly makes me a little uncomfortable. It would be much easier to have these altered that extreme than a cast set though, that's for sure.

I don't know if you've ever gone through the process of being fit for your lie angle but it's really quite fast and simple and in my opinion, it's something that everyone should do with every set of irons. All "standards" are not the same. Company A could have a lie angle that is much more upright than Company B. Comparing the J40 DPC 5iron to the 588 CB 5iron, the J40 comes stock 2* more upright than the Cleveland. I find that to be pretty interesting. You'll also notice that most GI irons are more upright in the stock configuration. I think that's to help eliminate balls from going right for the majority of the golfers out there. You know, slice fixers per se.

So why is having your lie angle adjusted to your swing important? If you need your clubs to be bent upright it means that you are seeing a predominant toe down divot. What happens is more of the toe goes into the turf at impact and consequently the club face gets pushed open a little bit due to more resistance. This can cause a fade/slice/push for golfers, even though you might be squarer at impact and hitting the center of the club face consistently. Conversely, like in Hawk's case, if you need to have your irons bent down it typically means that the heel of the club is digging more than the toe at impact thus closing the club face causing a more right to left ball flight, and worse it brings the hosel into play a lot more at impact, which no one really wants.

Biggsy also brings up a good point. If you order cast irons built to spec, they have a far greater chance of staying at spec over time. Forged irons need to be checke, in my opinion, at the conclusion of your golf season. A full season of pounding balls, hitting through rough, and flinging divots can cause lie angles and even loft angles to alter due to the process in which the irons are made.

I hope this information helps. I think it's fantastic that you're asking questions like these and there's a lot of folks around here who can help you out with them.

That was a real good post, TC.

jjm - I waited until after I got these to adjust them for a few reasons

1) They are made of a soft metal, so bending them wouldn't be a problem (to a point)
2) I've been going through a pretty big change with my swing due to lessons since the beginning of the year and I wanted to be confident that I really did need the adjusted. In other words, I didn't want to adjust and then have things change again. At this point, I'm confident that things should stay the same as they are.
3) I'm a procrastinator and scared to commit.

Went to Roger Dunn fully committed to being the first to OEM the CMB's. Really like em'. But you guys know what happened or else I wouldn't be posting in this thread...

Hit the 588's along side the CMB's one last time in the sim and realized that although the Adam's are nice clubs I just love some 588's. Yes the glare gets to me a little, but I'll never be laying the face open on em' so I'll get over it.

I felt they had fairly similar flights. The 588's just get the slight nod on forgiveness and the deciding factor... the 588's just left me with more of a sense of satisfaction when I hit them. Nothing can replace that.

In short, 588's ordered with PXi's. Went ahead and rolled with a full CB set.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

hahaha, that's awesome. Sweet purchase Colt! For some odd reason I had a feeling you would end up with these. I'm certainly looking forward to you joining me with the CB/PXi feedback. You got yourself one amazing looking combination. Interesting that you felt the CB's were more forgiving than the CMB's. That certainly wasn't the majority of the feedback from demo day at the outing. It's been fun watching you waver back and forth and narrow down your decision. What grips did you go with?

588s Getting some serious love.

@ JJ - just to mirror what everyone has already said...
for what i know about it, i think it is something that could be a possible quick fix to why a player isn't hitting the ball how they should be. like TC said, it's a quick and easy check (which you could actually do yourself with some tape). but before you decide that this is the reason you're not hitting the ball correctly, i suggest you have your swing looked at my a professional, and get their opinion as well.
as biggsy mentioned, since these clubs are soft metal, they are easy to bend and adjust...which also means they can easily bend back on their own. now...i believe you would actually have to play tour level amounts of golf for that to happen, but maybe not. so this would be another reason to have them checked, maybe once every year before the season starts.

@ COLT - great purchase man. you shouldn't have any problem dialing those in with your new Bushnell Z6!!

Congrats on the 588's, COLT. You did lots of pondering on that purchase, so I hope you really enjoy them.

I hit these guys pretty well today, which was nice. Threw in a few duds, but that's to be expected. Stuck a couple partial swing scoring irons close enough to have a chance at one putting as well, which makes me happy.

Best shot was a 6 iron to a par 3 145 yard hole straight up a hill. Almost grabbed the hybrid because it usually plays a couple clubs strong, but settled on my first instinct and hit it to 10 feet or so and made the birdie. Honestly was about my best iron swing in a long time right there. Felt real good and the ball got up there.

Still a little early to say much about the new lie angles. It seems like I'm getting a more even divot and I'm even seeing a smidge of a push here and there, but I'd like to give them more time before I say anything concrete on that.

hahaha, that's awesome. Sweet purchase Colt! For some odd reason I had a feeling you would end up with these. I'm certainly looking forward to you joining me with the CB/PXi feedback. You got yourself one amazing looking combination. Interesting that you felt the CB's were more forgiving than the CMB's. That certainly wasn't the majority of the feedback from demo day at the outing. It's been fun watching you waver back and forth and narrow down your decision. What grips did you go with?

Just let em' throw on the stock grips with my extra wraps. I'll try em out once they get here and see if I like em'.

Thanks Hawk and tnolan.

Nice buy colt. I'm still pondering these i haven't hit them yet. But when i like hitting something i don't wait to buy so I need to wait a bit before I buy anything lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Nice purchase Colt, I know they are your "back up" set, but it shouldn't take long for them to outshine your i20s.

Nice purchase Colt, I know they are your "back up" set, but it shouldn't take long for them to outshine your i20s.

Trust me. In the sunlight those chrome heads already out"shine" the i20's. I was getting used to the satin finish so much so that the glare off of the chrome was one of the major detractors in these.

Trust me. In the sunlight those chrome heads already out"shine" the i20's. I was getting used to the satin finish so much so that the glare off of the chrome was one of the major detractors in these.

Congrats on the purchase Colt. I've not had a single issue with glare to date. What I like about these is how the satin topline eliminates one spot that could cause some glare.

I had a pretty dang good day with these, I'll post some thoughts in a little bit.

--
Tapatalk2

Back