Open Championship Contest & Official Thread [Spoilers]

I won the week in fantasy golf (league 2) at 191 points! :D. I must've been close, but not close enough.

Tap tap taparoo

I was a little off on my previous calculations. I had:

1. Ernie Els $1,405,890
2. Adam Scott $812,292
T3. Tiger Woods $464,725
T31. Rickie Fowler $47,124

For a grand total of $2,730,031 ... best I've done in a while, thats for sure.
Dayum. And i thought i was doing good by picking adam...

I felt so bad for Scott and Els for that matter. No one wants to win or loos like that.

You gotta tip your hat at how well both players handled it though. Rosaforte said the first thing Ernie said to his caddie was, "We have to talk to Adam". I didn't realize how close the two were until after Ernie was holding the Jug. I like both players, but my admiration for Ernie skyrocketed with how he handled what could have been a very uncomfortable situation for him. I always root for Adam, and believe now that he has this particular experience, the next time he competes (and he will compete in majors again), he can reflect back in it, handle the situation better and build on what he did right, and wrong. He was in uncharted water and played admirably for 68 holes.

Gregory Hines. Tapping.

I was a little off on my previous calculations. I had:

1. Ernie Els $1,405,890
2. Adam Scott $812,292
T3. Tiger Woods $464,725
T31. Rickie Fowler $47,124

For a grand total of $2,730,031 ... best I've done in a while, thats for sure.

Well done bahester! That is the prize pack from heaven!

You gotta tip your hat at how well both players handled it though. Rosaforte said the first thing Ernie said to his caddie was, "We have to talk to Adam". I didn't realize how close the two were until after Ernie was holding the Jug. I like both players, but my admiration for Ernie skyrocketed with how he handled what could have been a very uncomfortable situation for him. I always root for Adam, and believe now that he has this particular experience, the next time he competes (and he will compete in majors again), he can reflect back in it, handle the situation better and build on what he did right, and wrong. He was in uncharted water and played admirably for 68 holes.

Gregory Hines. Tapping.

Based on our time on tour, there are very few guys that don't like Scott. He is personable, one of the boys and well respected. Add to that Ernie being one of the most liked as well and its a hard situation, that both will handle with dignity and class.

Certainly not the way I thought this one would finish. But good for Ernie. He's a hard guy not to root for.

Adam Scott will get his. I felt for him though. You could just feel it slipping away from him and I don't think he realized it was happening.

Man my fantasy team sucked butt today!!

I had Colsaerts on the bench with his 5 under par....and everybody else was WAY over par....only got 26 points today and that includes 10 bonus points for Adam Scott finishing 2nd.

Still have a 30 point lead in group 2...the real group

I forgot to pick before leaving for Myrtle Beach last week and fell from 1st for this quarter to something like 15th, oh well, lesson learned. I did go to the website on my smartphoneon Wednesday and I could see everything except "clear roster" so I just did not get to change my picks for the week.

This is the first I'm watching the post-tournament stuff: did Tom Abbott really start his interview with Adam Scott by saying to him "That was tough to watch."?

I like Scott's resolve - wouldn't be surprised to see him contend in the PGA Championship.

Wow, that was quite the finish. Coming round the turn I never thought it would get interesting. It's a tough way to lose, and to Ernie's real credit, he found it a tough way to win too. But, looking at Ernie's back 9, you've got to say he went out and won it there....no matter how badly Scott threw it away.

Feel for Scott though, and I reckon he has the game to bounce back. Hopefully his mental game will allow it quickly.

Also, had another good week with my bets. Payouts on - Luke Donald top 5, and top 10s for GMac, Jiminez and Alex Noren. Boom!

Feel for Scott though, and I reckon he has the game to bounce back. Hopefully his mental game will allow it quickly.

He does have a great game doesn't he? man, I'd give anything to have that swing. I wonder what kind of conversation takes place between Adam and Steve after a loss like that, over the years Steve has been in that arena with Tiger many times. Does Adam say why did you tell me to hit 3 wood or does Steve say it's ok Adam, we'll get them at the PGA? is there blame, does the caddie take the heat?

Not sure if it has been mentioned but interesting thought just crossed my mind...I believe this now marks 3 of the last 4 majors being won with a belly putter?

Not sure if it has been mentioned but interesting thought just crossed my mind...I believe this now marks 3 of the last 4 majors being won with a belly putter?

That would be correct. Not sure if I saw it correctly, though believe someone posted on twitter that there will be an announcement on the future of belly putters soon.
Not sure if there's any truth to this or not.

Sent from my HTC One X

That would be correct. Not sure if I saw it correctly, though believe someone posted on twitter that there will be an announcement on the future of belly putters soon.
Not sure if there's any truth to this or not.

Sent from my HTC One X

There is truth to it. The head of R&A did a brief interview over the weekend and said the issue would be addressed in a matter of months, not years.

There is truth to it. The head of R&A did a brief interview over the weekend and said the issue would be addressed in a matter of months, not years.

Just noticed Tim Roosevelt posted an announcement will be made in September. That's pretty quick.

Sent from my HTC One X

If I understand all the speculation, it sounds like the long putters won't be banned, but the act of "anchoring" may go.

If I understand all the speculation, it sounds like the long putters won't be banned, but the act of "anchoring" may go.

That's the way I heard it as well. I always thought the yips and nerves were a part of the game.

And that would not surprise me. That rule would probably impact 90% of the guys on tour using them via chest or belly.

Regardless, this win definitely put the issue right back into the spotlight.

Sad to say it, but looks like I called this one. I just finished watching this morning, what a shocking way for Ernie to win. I like both players a lot and to see Adam blow the big lead that way is numbing, but not surprising. It's a tough course that beat up on everyone there. When I posted that Adam didn't have this in the bag little did I know how right I was.

I've been digging around in my USGA rule book and have been, so far, unsuccessful in finding anything related to long putters other than a reference that maximum club length doesn't apply to putters.

This actually surprises me a bit for some reason....Ernie comes off to me as a little aloof or cold at times. Maybe it's the South African way or demeanor but he strikes me as someone who may not be as liked on the Tour as others. Interesting

Based on our time on tour, there are very few guys that don't like Scott. He is personable, one of the boys and well respected. Add to that Ernie being one of the most liked as well and its a hard situation, that both will handle with dignity and class.

This actually surprises me a bit for some reason....Ernie comes off to me as a little aloof or cold at times. Maybe it's the South African way or demeanor but he strikes me as someone who may not be as liked on the Tour as others. Interesting

I've always thought of him as a fan favorite. Not sure I've ever talked to someone who doesn't like him.

Sent from my HTC One X

I loved how Ernie stayed aggressive the entire time. Taking driver on both short par 4's on the back. In my opinion that is one of the biggest changes with Tiger. He plays very conservative from the tee these days. His length has been neutralized by himself. Hard to score hitting 3-4-5 into every green (although his wedge distance control was off bigtime)

Back