Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

May have to pull trigger Jman. Another i20 ponder is upgrading to KBS shafts. Not sure if my launch angle is too low (21*) with my 6 iron CFS shaft. Keep hearing the KBS is more of a higher launching shaft. Not sure how it compares with the CFS which feels pretty good to me. More testing needed. Hopefully this week.
When I get my mind set on something golf related I just gotta know. :banghead:

From when I demo'd the i20s, the KBS was by far the highest launching shaft for me of what I demo'd. I hit some over the moon shots but I was A. Worried about the Wind at that height out here, and B: kept hitting a pull left draw so my dispersion was not near what the CFS gave me.

Feel wise the CFS is the closest to the KBS tours I've hit, so there shouldn't be that much of a difference there to get use to if you do make the switch.

I don't think too many people could go wrong with the CFS shafts as long as you get the proper flex and hard/soft stepping. Stiff sucked for me. I didn't particularly like the X flex as even though I can easily load them and get the distance I need I just like to play softer shafts. The S flex hard stepped just once seemed to be worlds apart from the S. Funny that such a small tweak makes a world of difference.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

I must say that the information in this thread has been spot on. Two surprising things were discovered today with visit to Golfsmith and using their simulators. First thing I did was grab a PING i20 7 iron in graphite and one with KBS reg. I brought my 7i with CFS to do a comparison of the three since I have considering the KBS.

Warmed up hitting about 10balls with each club and then stared my test. I was going to hit 15 balls with each and take the top 10 longest and most accurate shots. Turns out the CFS was the winner. I was about three yard longer than graphite and about 8 longer than KBS. the KBS was way less accurate and I averaged 23 yds off line. Graphite had me 11 yds off line and CFS had me 4 yds. Carry distance I was 145 with CFS which I was totally satisfied with. This pondering is over as I will be sticking with the CFS. oh my launch angle was a highest with CFS too. I think it was about 22*

The other big surprise was after hitting 60 or so golf balls I saw a set of used i20 which had a 4i CFS regular and I immediately started salivating especially after last night post by everyone encouraging me try it. Grabbed it and jumped on sim. First swing was horrible and second and third were worse. I then remembered that Hart said to just swing this easy and I was amazed right down middle to 186. I hit a few more just like that and went back to bad shots because I started overswinging. Calmed myself down and started shooting straight again best shot was 194 total distance. I was blown away and will be ordering the 4i tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice i20 Family!

TapAhoy!

Atta boy, SMG. Easy does it with the 4 iron, glad you saw some success with it bro.

Crap, I'm going to have to order the 4iron soon. I used to be a long iron guy and I might have to get back to that.

Crap, I'm going to have to order the 4iron soon. I used to be a long iron guy and I might have to get back to that.

Ditto, TC. Waaay back when I was playing 990's in high school, I absolutely loved my 2 iron. I considered ordering an i20 2 iron (instead of a 3) strictly as a tee club and club for attacking par 5's in 2. With the distance I am hitting my 4 iron, I think the 2 iron could be MONEY for me.

I digress though, I am still very interested in that new Cally driving iron and probably won't be able to pull any triggers til it is released and I can swing it.

I much prefer irons over woods, always have. Hell, to an extent I prefer irons over hybrids...it's just that so many people love hybo's I find myself always wondering if I am doing myself a disservice moving away from bagging one.

Ditto, TC. Waaay back when I was playing 990's in high school, I absolutely loved my 2 iron. I considered ordering an i20 2 iron (instead of a 3) strictly as a tee club and club for attacking par 5's in 2. With the distance I am hitting my 4 iron, I think the 2 iron could be MONEY for me.

I digress though, I am still very interested in that new Cally driving iron and probably won't be able to pull any triggers til it is released and I can swing it.

I much prefer irons over woods, always have. Hell, to an extent I prefer irons over hybrids...it's just that so many people love hybo's I find myself always wondering if I am doing myself a disservice moving away from bagging one.

I was going to order a 2 iron with my set, but they don't make one. :weep:

My first set of sticks were Ping i3 Blades. I bought them 3iron - SW. It was all I had when i first started golfing. I tee'd off exclusively with a 3iron. Hell, I've only had a driver in my bag since late 2009. I much prefer irons and would love to have a driving iron or a 2iron but being a lefty, they're almost non existent.

I loved the way the 4i felt and you guys were right it was easier than I thought to swing. This will probably cause a change in the bag but hey my bag is in constant motion any way. Cant wait to hit this off a tee on the course. Adding this will give me i20 love from the 4 - LW. One thing I fogot to add was just how good the CFS felt to me over the KBS.

My first set of sticks were Ping i3 Blades. I bought them 3iron - SW. It was all I had when i first started golfing. I tee'd off exclusively with a 3iron. Hell, I've only had a driver in my bag since late 2009. I much prefer irons and would love to have a driving iron or a 2iron but being a lefty, they're almost non existent.

Used to love my i3 blade 2 iron. Could bust that thing down the middle. Although now I'm not sure I'm not getting as much distance from my i20 3 iron.

Shanked with my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

I was going to order a 2 iron with my set, but they don't make one. :weep:

WTH?! Really? Damn, that sucks. There goes that ponder...that Cally driving iron looks even better now haha

Just tap it in, just tap it in. Give it a little tap tap tappy. Tap tap tap-a-roo via Tapatalk.

Used to love my i3 blade 2 iron. Could bust that thing down the middle. Although now I'm not sure I'm not getting as much distance from my i20 3 iron.

YOu know, that says a lot about the i20's really. It's amazing how many people love these long irons. It makes me want some.

WTH?! Really? Damn, that sucks. There goes that ponder...that Cally driving iron looks even better now haha

Just tap it in, just tap it in. Give it a little tap tap tappy. Tap tap tap-a-roo via Tapatalk.

Actually, they do. Tour only though, not available for us mere mortals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder how easily I could find one if I dug. Now that I know I can't have one, it's what I decided I need...

...funny how that works. Actually, I still want a driving iron. Add a 2013 model 3 wood and driver and my bag will be set for 3+ years (I very rarely change clubs). I'll take this thinking in text to the ponder thread, sorry to get off track.

They're seriously good, TC, and I don't think it's just honeymoon. I mean, I've hit my 3 iron off the tee probably 7 times. I'd guess three or four of those were longer than any 3 iron I ever hit in 6 years of playing my x16s. 3 more were very good and plenty long.

One was a jab and chunk 140 yarder. Even the i20 can't fix that.

I wonder how easily I could find one if I dug. Now that I know I can't have one, it's what I decided I need...

...funny how that works. Actually, I still want a driving iron. Add a 2013 model 3 wood and driver and my bag will be set for 3+ years (I very rarely change clubs). I'll take this thinking in text to the ponder thread, sorry to get off track.

If you manage to find one, that would be awesome. Pics and a write-up would be a necessity. It really is a bummer they don't make a retail version, because I think it could be a great addition for me, since I've been hitting my other i20 long irons pretty well. I guess not too many people play a 2 iron anymore, so maybe there's not much of a market for it.

Couldn't you just have PING take a 3 iron and build it 2 degrees strong?

Couldn't you just have PING take a 3 iron and build it 2 degrees strong?

Manufacturing tolerances are 1 degree, so I figure there must be some 20 degree 3 irons out there. If he could find one, then he could have it bent 2 degrees strong. That would be pretty close to a 2 iron...

Just wanted to say thanks to all who offered input on the thread. I've been loving my i20's, since changing from i2's. 3-PW, black dot, CFS S. Lots of forgiveness, lots of confidence, lots of GIR's, lots of fun.

Shot the best round of my life the other day, an 81, with 9 straight pars on the back! 45-36. I continued this streak to 13 straight during the first 4 holes of the next round. Best golf of my life. Just wish that I didnt trip all over myself on the front NINE, no more heavy drinkn the night before!
:banghead:

Thanks again fellllas, hit em well.

Just wanted to say thanks to all who offered input on the thread. I've been loving my i20's, since changing from i2's. 3-PW, black dot, CFS S. Lots of forgiveness, lots of confidence, lots of GIR's, lots of fun.

Shot the best round of my life the other day, an 81, with 9 straight pars on the back! 45-36. I continued this streak to 13 straight during the first 4 holes of the next round. Best golf of my life. Just wish that I didnt trip all over myself on the front NINE, no more heavy drinkn the night before!
:banghead:

Thanks again fellllas, hit em well.

Way to go, Doug! Awesome golf!

Well my I20s arrived last night!!! Well minus the 3 iron b/c of a little snafu in ordering but the guys are Woodlands Golf got that straightened out the moment I called them so double thanks to those guys and I'll have it next week.

CFS S hard stepped yellow dot at 1/2".

Hopefully I can get out to the range this week before the weekend but we will see with the bomb that just got dropped on me and my co-worker yesterday.

Let me just say this about the CFS 7 iron shaft. Me and this guy are friends and have had some bromance time off and on for the last 8 months and every time its been AWESOME. We both like to go to the same places, he knows how high is too high, if he could eat, I think his favorite food would be beef and bacon thin crust pizza; I mean we just click. Now I'm super excited that the rest of his buds are coming to live with me and I think we all have a good idea of how this is going to go...its going to be EPIC.

Time to make a new SIG pic I believe.

Lately I have been overswing my 6-8 off the tee. Causing pulls. I really think it has to deal with the long rouch we call the tee lately.

Still loving the 3i of the tee.

Well my I20s arrived last night!!! Well minus the 3 iron b/c of a little snafu in ordering but the guys are Woodlands Golf got that straightened out the moment I called them so double thanks to those guys and I'll have it next week.

CFS S hard stepped yellow dot at 1/2".

Hopefully I can get out to the range this week before the weekend but we will see with the bomb that just got dropped on me and my co-worker yesterday.

Let me just say this about the CFS 7 iron shaft. Me and this guy are friends and have had some bromance time off and on for the last 8 months and every time its been AWESOME. We both like to go to the same places, he knows how high is too high, if he could eat, I think his favorite food would be beef and bacon thin crust pizza; I mean we just click. Now I'm super excited that the rest of his buds are coming to live with me and I think we all have a good idea of how this is going to go...its going to be EPIC.

Time to make a new SIG pic I believe.

I am not sure we all need to know how this is going to go. Let's just say there are other forums where you can explain this situation.:blowkiss:As to your I20's, be prepared to spend more money. What I mean by this is they will make golf so much better, you will want to go full board now and get clothes, gps/range finders, etc., etc.,. The 4th round of golf is when the Ping drug kicks in. From that moment on, you will be hooked. You will then start finding every excuse to sneak out of work just to be able to swing the Pings again. People will be able to look look at you and can tell by the smile on your face that you took a swing or two with the Pings. Your wife or (bromance) will tell you that you need to spend more time with them and when you do, all you can think about is when will you get your Ping fix again.

Let's say a guy I know swings i20s, 3-PW, but is ready for some new wedges. He's considering filling out the set with U, S and L i20s.

First, is that dumb compared to looking at other wedges? Second, if he does do this, would you recommend sticking with the DG X100 shafts that he plays in the rest of his irons, or should he go crazy and get DG Spinners? He's never had the opportunity to hit the Spinners....

Let's say a guy I know swings i20s, 3-PW, but is ready for some new wedges. He's considering filling out the set with U, S and L i20s.

First, is that dumb compared to looking at other wedges? Second, if he does do this, would you recommend sticking with the DG X100 shafts that he plays in the rest of his irons, or should he go crazy and get DG Spinners? He's never had the opportunity to hit the Spinners....

I think "HE" would would be good either way; just a question of A. how much spin does HE want, and B, the weight of the whole club.

Myself personally Since I've been playing both the X100s and a DG spinner, I'd go X100 U, DG Spinner Wedge+ in S and L.

Back