Odyssey Putters 2012

With your small little hands the midsized grip on mine will seem like a jumbo. We will get you a milk crate to stand on b/c it's 35" long.

35? Geez!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Don't worry Chunky you can roll my Mx7. I'm short too, it will fit you well!

Don't worry Chunky you can roll my Mx7. I'm short too, it will fit you well!

Now we are talking!

Chunky have you tried a midsize yet?

Chunky have you tried a midsize yet?

I haven't. I think I'm going to go to GS tomorrow and check them out. My left hand fingers are getting busy during the stroke though

I haven't. I think I'm going to go to GS tomorrow and check them out. My left hand fingers are getting busy during the stroke though

I think Id go midsize before jumping into the jumbo party. The jumbo is very large. Plus the midsize Winn grip comes in awesome Dallas Cowboys colors. Bonus!

I think Id go midsize before jumping into the jumbo party. The jumbo is very large. Plus the midsize Winn grip comes in awesome Dallas Cowboys colors. Bonus!

Boom! Done. I may drop off on Monday

I haven't really shared my thoughts on my Odyssey Protype since the Morgan Cup, so I wanted to share my thoughts on it now that I have had it a few weeks and got the chance to use it on unfamiliar greens.

First, the putter itself is just amazing. The instant you see it you can easily tell that it is a high-end putter. The finish and the milling are just spectacular, there is no doubt just from seeing it that the Protype line can compete with the other fine milled lines out there. One thing I want to point on as far as the looks of this putter: I originally had a stainless steel milled putter and sold it because of the glare that came off the head and I purchased another milled putter by another amazing sponsor of The Morgan Cup, Bettinardi, because he had putters with a dark finish. I had no issue with glare off the Protype putter all weekend. The finish looks a little different than some other milled lines and I think it really helps to reduce glare.

Alright, so how did my Protype #7 perform for me? Perfectly is about the only word I can use to sum it up. Now I wasn't draining 30 footers, and I wasn't setting personal bests on my # of putts, but it was not the putters fault. I am not used to putting on bermuda grass so that had an effect on my speeds and how much break to read into the putts. But I can say that with every stroke of the putter, I rolled it on the exact line I had intended, and I put the pace on it that I thought was what I needed to get it to the hole. I had a few long putts that ended up 7-10 feet past throughout the weekend but that was due to me just not knowing how to pace my putts, but my line that I started it on was right where I wanted it to be. I had a lot of putts just burn the edges because I putted it JUST too soft or JUST too hard. The one thing I took away from my putting this weekend is something I have learned from the moment I put the putter in to play...the two alignment lines have increased my alignment by leaps and bounds. The only putt I wished I could have back was on #18 on sunday, but I made a mental error and pushed the ball on a short 5 footer.

In case some of you don't know from my previous posts, I have been a blade putter for several years. I have always had a single sight line on them. I have never really been a bad putter, but I have never been great. I've had so many putts burn the edges that I knew I just didn't start on the right line. On my home courses I am reducing my number of putts and if I miss I am getting them within a foot of the hole every time because I know how the putter will perform on every putt so I know what stroke to put on it to get the right pace. One thing I noticed with my blade putters was that sometimes I would hit it square and I would get a great bounce off the face and a great roll, and other times it felt as though I wasn't catching it square and it didn't come off the face as well and it didn't roll as far. With the weight balance of this putter I am consistently hitting this putter square and I am getting a great roll right off the bat. I assume it is because of the way the weight is balanced in the larger head of the putter, but whatever it is I am so glad I switched to this style.

There are several great manufacturers of milled putters. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses. When someone mentions Odyssey you don't really think about milled putters because they are known for their inserts. But when the #1 putter on tour puts out a new milled line like this you better pay attention, because they are competing with the big boys here. The 2012 Odyssey ProType putters are the real deal, so if you haven't gone out to try them yet make sure you do. They have several different models available to suit any putter preference.

I haven't really shared my thoughts on my Odyssey Protype since the Morgan Cup, so I wanted to share my thoughts on it now that I have had it a few weeks and got the chance to use it on unfamiliar greens.

First, the putter itself is just amazing. The instant you see it you can easily tell that it is a high-end putter. The finish and the milling are just spectacular, there is no doubt just from seeing it that the Protype line can compete with the other fine milled lines out there. One thing I want to point on as far as the looks of this putter: I originally had a stainless steel milled putter and sold it because of the glare that came off the head and I purchased another milled putter by another amazing sponsor of The Morgan Cup, Bettinardi, because he had putters with a dark finish. I had no issue with glare off the Protype putter all weekend. The finish looks a little different than some other milled lines and I think it really helps to reduce glare.

Alright, so how did my Protype #7 perform for me? Perfectly is about the only word I can use to sum it up. Now I wasn't draining 30 footers, and I wasn't setting personal bests on my # of putts, but it was not the putters fault. I am not used to putting on bermuda grass so that had an effect on my speeds and how much break to read into the putts. But I can say that with every stroke of the putter, I rolled it on the exact line I had intended, and I put the pace on it that I thought was what I needed to get it to the hole. I had a few long putts that ended up 7-10 feet past throughout the weekend but that was due to me just not knowing how to pace my putts, but my line that I started it on was right where I wanted it to be. I had a lot of putts just burn the edges because I putted it JUST too soft or JUST too hard. The one thing I took away from my putting this weekend is something I have learned from the moment I put the putter in to play...the two alignment lines have increased my alignment by leaps and bounds. The only putt I wished I could have back was on #18 on sunday, but I made a mental error and pushed the ball on a short 5 footer.

In case some of you don't know from my previous posts, I have been a blade putter for several years. I have always had a single sight line on them. I have never really been a bad putter, but I have never been great. I've had so many putts burn the edges that I knew I just didn't start on the right line. On my home courses I am reducing my number of putts and if I miss I am getting them within a foot of the hole every time because I know how the putter will perform on every putt so I know what stroke to put on it to get the right pace. One thing I noticed with my blade putters was that sometimes I would hit it square and I would get a great bounce off the face and a great roll, and other times it felt as though I wasn't catching it square and it didn't come off the face as well and it didn't roll as far. With the weight balance of this putter I am consistently hitting this putter square and I am getting a great roll right off the bat. I assume it is because of the way the weight is balanced in the larger head of the putter, but whatever it is I am so glad I switched to this style.

There are several great manufacturers of milled putters. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses. When someone mentions Odyssey you don't really think about milled putters because they are known for their inserts. But when the #1 putter on tour puts out a new milled line like this you better pay attention, because they are competing with the big boys here. The 2012 Odyssey ProType putters are the real deal, so if you haven't gone out to try them yet make sure you do. They have several different models available to suit any putter preference.

Great write up and thoughts IN. I can vouch for this post as I saw first hand how $$$ he is with this flatstick in his hands. It is a beautiful looking putter.

Very nice writeup Braddddd.

Only 1 3 putt today with my Metal X Rossie and several 1 putts. I got the speed down better and was blasting away with it. Such a solid insert, I love the feeling at impact. Saved at least 3 pars today after a few GAlmostIR.

Only 1 3 putt today with my Metal X Rossie and several 1 putts. I got the speed down better and was blasting away with it. Such a solid insert, I love the feeling at impact. Saved at least 3 pars today after a few GAlmostIR.

I think you biggest problems yesterday was not hitting through the ball. Coming from the other putters you have the Metal X is so much softer and "grips" the ball more. Once you stopped deceling, you were hitting some good putts.

I think you biggest problems yesterday was not hitting through the ball. Coming from the other putters you have the Metal X is so much softer and "grips" the ball more. Once you stopped deceling, you were hitting some good putts.

I agree 100%. I was way more aggressive today and it really worked out.

I think this is an excellent explanation of the Metal X face. Now that I think about it, I was doing the exact same thing yesterday and was REALLY struggling hard. I may have to work on keeping my speed through the ball constant and not decelerating. Great point man.

I think this is an excellent explanation of the Metal X face. Now that I think about it, I was doing the exact same thing yesterday and was REALLY struggling hard. I may have to work on keeping my speed through the ball constant and not decelerating. Great point man.

As soft as that face is it feels like it gives the ball a big hug. I made sure I finished my stroke today which really payed off.

As soft as that face is it feels like it gives the ball a big hug. I made sure I finished my stroke today which really payed off.

I'm glad you guys brought that up, because thinking back, I can think of many putts I left way short just because I'm decelerating SO much coming through the ball. I need to work on finishing my stroke and keeping a good tempo.

I took my #7 to the green yesterday and honestly, I didn't really like it all. It's odd, because I did like it the day before. It just sets up very different than what I was playing and I was having a hard time with keeping the ball on line and with distance control. I left it at home today and figure I'll try it out some more this week. I need to mess with ball position a little bit I think.

I took my #7 to the green yesterday and honestly, I didn't really like it all. It's odd, because I did like it the day before. It just sets up very different than what I was playing and I was having a hard time with keeping the ball on line and with distance control. I left it at home today and figure I'll try it out some more this week. I need to mess with ball position a little bit I think.

Hawk, I think we could be having some of the same problems. Were you leaving it short a lot? Also, where were you tending to play the ball in your stance?

I was ok on mid-range putts with speed, but I didn't feel like I could get the ball to the hole on long putts. I couldn't hit it hard enough. As for ball position, I was playing it a little forward, which is what I'm used to right now coming from the Tycoon. That equaled yank-city. I tried to move it back, but my eyes didn't like it at all. I just need more time I guess. The good news is that my Seemore was ready to drop some putts today at least.

33 putts today on some wicked slow greens with my #7, I started off hot with this putter but have been struggling big time as of late. I think it may be time to get the SeeMore back in the bag for a few weeks.

I was ok on mid-range putts with speed, but I didn't feel like I could get the ball to the hole on long putts. I couldn't hit it hard enough. As for ball position, I was playing it a little forward, which is what I'm used to right now coming from the Tycoon. That equaled yank-city. I tried to move it back, but my eyes didn't like it at all. I just need more time I guess. The good news is that my Seemore was ready to drop some putts today at least.

Interesting, as I was struggle leaving it short on almost everything. I tend to play mine pretty far forward, like I guess where the logo on a shirt would go.
33 putts today on some wicked slow greens with my #7, I started off hot with this putter but have been struggling big time as of late. I think it may be time to get the SeeMore back in the bag for a few weeks.

I know I can't go back to my FGP blade because for some reason I just can't do blades but if the #7 doesn't start working I may have to go a Seemore mallet route. I really want the 7 to work though, so I'm going to put in some work with it first.

I am still really wanting a Metal X #7, this putter has been on my radar for awhile now. In serious ponder mode on this one.

I am still struggling with my DART. I have a #9 coming shortly and we will see if the look of that will help me out a little bit.

I had the same issues with longer putts until I stopped deceling as well....this insert doesn't let you get away with that business like other inserts or milling may allow

Back