Are you playing with the right sized grip?

I was at my Golftec session yesterday and pointed out to one of the instructors a wear mark on the pad of my palm area on my glove.
I thought that maybe the glove was cheaply made but this was not the case.

The instructor had me grip the club with my glove hand and observed that one of my fingers was pushing up against the pad on my palm and preventing the rest of my fingers from getting a good grip on the club thus being loose and moving as i swung.
It made sense to me because after looking closely I could see that I wasn't getting all the fingers on my left hand to do their job.

He did a measurement and checked his charts and He explained that my grip technique was good but that I needed a larger size grip or add several more wraps of tape on the shaft when I re-grip my clubs.
I always thought that I was playing the right sized grip.(regular w/ one wrap of tape)

So I'm asking anyone who reads this are you playing with the right sized grip?

I sure am Jim. They should technically be a little thicker but it's what feels best to me

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

the grip size certainly makes a difference. I played with the standard grips for a while, and just found that I was too tense, so I tried the oversize, but felt that I couldn't get a feel for where the clubface was. I put GP VDR midsizes on my clubs, and the feel is absolutely perfect.

I installed some midsized grips the other night I figured I go to that size rather than do a build up with tape using a regular sized grip.

I did A couple of test swings last night. It's looks as though all the fingers have good contact on the grip and they felt good throughout the entire swing.

Tonight will be the first round with the new grips and I'll see if I notice any difference in ball flight due to the larger size.

Cool, let us know if it makes a difference dude. I use standard right now because that's what I was fit for, but after reading some of the posts I think I could go a couple wraps bigger. I tend to grip the club a little tight sometimes which has all kinds of ugly effects.

Indirectly, yes. If the grip is too small you will have tendency to grip the club tighter and tension affects swings and hence ball flight. if the grip is too big you could lose connectivelty with the club and affect the position of the club at impact, open or closed. The key is to have a grip that is large enough that you are not choking the club
A recent study showed no effects on ball flight.

I have never even thought about grip size. I guess I should

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

My golf instructor on our second lesson noticed that I was really choking the grip. I had him regrip my clubs with winn dri-tac midsize grips with two wraps. My grip pressure is light and my fingers aren't digging into my palm anymore. It has helped free my wrists up so I can get a proper wrist cock during the backswing and this had smoothed out my swing considerably. It really has made a big difference. Plus the dri-tacs are soft and tacky enough that I don't have to use a glove anymore. I feel more in control and connected to my clubs now. For the money, its easily the best thing I have done for my golf game.

Indirectly, yes. If the grip is too small you will have tendency to grip the club tighter and tension affects swings and hence ball flight. if the grip is too big you could lose connectivelty with the club and affect the position of the club at impact, open or closed. The key is to have a grip that is large enough that you are not choking the club

Thanks man! This makes a lot of sense. I should probably make sure the grips are right when I go to regrip the J40's.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Right sized grip? Yes. I probably could do with another layer of tape. I play standard sized, with two layers of tape underneath. The old cord grips I used to have with that set up was perfect. The current grips I have are not as thick as the cord grips though. I still grip the club just fine though, the amount I'm off seems minimal and my fingers aren't smashed against the pad of my hand.

~Rock

I just did the Lamkin fitting and was fit for a standard+++. Is that essentially the same as midsize?

I just did the Lamkin fitting and was fit for a standard+++. Is that essentially the same as midsize?
yes, VERY close if not. were you fit for midsize somewhere else?

yes, VERY close if not. were you fit for midsize somewhere else?

Thanks for the info, I was thinking I read that somewhere. Never been fit for grips before, but the midsize grips have always felt better than standard to me. I guess I have one thing right at least.

I think there is an article in this month's Golf Magazine or Golf Digest about the effects of grip-size on ball flight. Long story short, it WAS determined that players SHOULD play what feels best to them. No effects in ball flight were determined. So, those guys at Edwin Watts were right!

Disagree. Those guys were just lazy and indifferent. They could have offered to let me try out some clubs with different size grips on the sim to see what "felt right" to me but they didn't. Therefore I went elsewhere...

hey shark, I would be interested what you would get if you go here http://www.lamkingrips.com/?r=Find-Your-Grip fill out the info and see what they recommend. I would like to see if they are close to correct.

I did the Lamkin fitting and the REL 3gen midsize fit the ticket.
They will be going on my R-11's and I went with Winn dri tacs midsize for my 710 CB's.
So to answer your question OneT that site is def. awesome to use and apply the findings.
I'm going to do my own little test to see which brand works best for me.
I couldn't get over Ben's grips @Myrtle ( REL Gen3) they down right trumped the conditions.

Cool, let us know if it makes a difference dude. I use standard right now because that's what I was fit for, but after reading some of the posts I think I could go a couple wraps bigger. I tend to grip the club a little tight sometimes which has all kinds of ugly effects.

Hey Trout Bum there was no difference in ball flight. I couldn't have been happier with the results. On another note Putting let me down last night 5 edges burned.:beat-up:

Regular grip with 4 wraps under my left hand and 6 under my right. Makes my grips non-tapered and feels just right.

Tapping till 12-21-2012

Regular size grips feel like pencils in my big old paws. I have been a fan of the Golf Pride Mid Sized Tour Wraps for a long time. They just feel good!

I am currently playing with standard size grips and the club fitter suggested this to me so yes I am playing with the right grip. Now my putter grip-it's a little oversize but it helps me with putting

Good topic Jim! I also learned that I needed a regular sized grip and some OEM grips like Iomic are smaller than the Golf Pride's. I used three wraps under the Iomic's and they are still too small. Three wraps with the standard New Decade Multi Compound is perfect. It is a hair under mid-size.

Nope. The Lamkin fitting tool recommended standard +1 wraps and I have no wraps. I won some midsize grips and am interested to try those. Are there any benefits to a larger grip such as a better release with a driver so I wouldn't slice as much :beauty:

Grips are all about feel to me. I do my own grip installs & have tried about everything ... settled on the Lamkin OVERSIZE. Just feels comfy & I find I have less finger/hand fatigue ...

Add me to this list.. I might jump to two wraps, but standard +1 wrap just feels normal to me.

Circling back on this, I just regripped a couple clubs the other day with two additional wraps from the tape that was already on the club, and they feel awesome.

I really think this is personal preference more than anything else, but I am probably going to do the same with the rest of the bag. Sizing is great.

Back