Cleveland 588 CB Forged Irons

Thanks Tyler. I'm not really a "murderer" of the ball dude. Never have been really. I need to trust these irons more. My distance control was a bit off yesterday a couple of times b/c I was hesitant to go after some back pin placements.

TC, glad to hear you got it figured man. I know it was a hard decision for you and glad you were able to get a second opinion from someone you trust. Seems like both of these sets were killer for you. I'm sure the performance will continue with these irons now that you're set on them.

Sunday is the day. I finally get back on the course after a month off. Can't wait to hit the 588 CB's!!

TC great to read that you've decided on your gamer Irons dude.
One less thought in the head to deal with.
Time to go low.

I am glad these will be your gamers TC. They sure are beautiful and you hit them great. I can't wait to see the scores you post with them in the bag. I think the PX shafts are a big part too.

Tapatalkin

Sunday is the day. I finally get back on the course after a month off. Can't wait to hit the 588 CB's!!

Glad to hear it, buddy. I would be going insane.

How do these compare to the FG tours? Anyone tried them both?

Both are very good irons. I prefer the looks and sound of these and also FWIW, preferred the V2 over the original FG Tour. more personal than anything else I believe. There is this wonderful powerful impact sound that the 588s have that translates to incredible feel.

Nice to hear. Still love my FG tours (V1) but will give these pretty sticks a go then. Thank you for your answer.

I've not owned the FG's but I've spent a lot of time hitting them. My local golf shop has a full W/S fitting cart. I like both irons, but I think the 588's are more forgiving. They seem to be a hair longer from heel to toe. I also think the 588's have a better looking cavity but it's not by much.

God I've missed hitting these irons. A 3 week layoff makes for a rusty swing but man I'm not kidding these irons are waaay more forgiving than looks make you believe. The course we played this morning was pretty dry and the leading edge had zero issues busting through the turf without really digging in.

God I've missed hitting these irons. A 3 week layoff makes for a rusty swing but man I'm not kidding these irons are waaay more forgiving than looks make you believe. The course we played this morning was pretty dry and the leading edge had zero issues busting through the turf without really digging in.
Sweet! Glad you are hitting them well out there today!

Had a chance to demo a 6-iron in the CB version at a local demo day this past week. Very forgiving for a forged iron. Great ball flight and good height on the dozen or so shots I hit. I was swinging well that day but man these are some nice feeling and performing irons. Not sure the distance vs. my irons or the other ones I tried (mashie,CG16, and HB3) but looked pretty close to me. Wouldn't mind playing a set of these for a few rounds to see how they perform in my bag. You guys are spot on about these irons. Think I figured out I would probably be better suited in a R-flex iron than the S-flex that I currently play.

have been attempting to kink out a fade with these irons that i just can't get used to playing and work on hitting these consistently straight.
the contact is there, but the fade (obviously) leaves me short and right and missing greens that i should be hitting.
i wouldn't be too unhappy with it, but it seems that every time i setup to play the fade, i pull it! so aim left, hit left equals not good.
i'm still in love with these irons though and the crisp sound they make when you pinch a ball just right is music to my ears.
i'm also very pleased with the NDMC white-out grips i had put on them. definitely a good decision there...

Came back to my 588 CB's after a 4.5 week layoff and an emergency surgery. Figured I would suck, but I hit my 588's like I never took a break. Shot a 77 from 6,853 yards and my 588 CB's, (and the Classic), were a huge reason why. I hit the 4 and 5 irons so well in this set and was firing at pins with my 7 and 8 irons (for me). Made 2 birdie's and had 3 more legit chances from under 15 feet. I hit 10 greens in reg and 3 more fringes. Had a ton of 5-7 iron (170-195 yard) approaches, so I am very happy with these stats. Was never in any real trouble, but had to get up and down a few times. Played with the same ball all day, and I think the surgery had something to do with my improved tempo as I never went hard after anything, just smooth swings all day. It was so nice to be out on the links again after being house bound for a couple weeks and inactive for over a month.

Nicely done, TH! I bet that felt real good.

I had a pretty awful day Sunday with every club in my bag aside from wedges and putter, and the 588 irons were included in that. Just a mixture of weak fades and those other shots that kill a round. Between being hungover and playing 18 holes of golf swing, I just couldn't do a thing.

Yesterday I was able to redeem them and myself with a better performane. Last shot of the day was partial swing PW from 100 yards that I stuck to 6 feet, so I have that fresh in my mind for the next time out.

Good job TH! Glad you got out with them and didn't miss a beat. I played golf yesterday afternoon. I played quite well, but had a couple of loose tee shots that cost me. The weird thing was that it was with my trusty F5. I ended up carding a 76, but that included a double and 6 bogeys, but I did have 4 birdies. I hit 13/18 greens but the greens were so slow that I just couldn't ever get super comfortable on them. The 588's were good though, real good in fact. If I did miss, it was marginal. If I had any confidence on the greens it could have been much better but I just couldn't get a feel for the inconsistent pace of them.

I feel like I really made the best choice in keeping these irons in the bag. I am confident in all of them and it is going to be fun having them in the bag long term. No more switching around and just holding on to something that hopefully I can build on and prosper from.

Have you thought about grabbing a 4 iron at any point, TC? I know you've liked your long irons in the past.

Have you thought about grabbing a 4 iron at any point, TC? I know you've liked your long irons in the past.

No. I thought about it long and hard until I got more and more comfortable with that M4. That thing's just too good for me. I can hit my 5iron anywhere from 180-190 so I don't see where I really need the 4iron all that much. I still have the Crossline's on them too. Totally different grip not in Myrle's Inlet in August.

No. I thought about it long and hard until I got more and more comfortable with that M4. That thing's just too good for me. I can hit my 5iron anywhere from 180-190 so I don't see where I really need the 4iron all that much. I still have the Crossline's on them too. Totally different grip not in Myrle's Inlet in August.

Crosslines are good, except in wet or surface of the sun humid conditions

Yea, that makes sense to me. I've thought about a 5 iron here and there, but they hybrid just works better for what I have to offer with a swing.

I figure the Crosslines would be better for me right about now too since it's been in the 70's, but I'm still glad I moved on. It's too bad because they look freaking cool.

What do you use the M4 for usually TC? I'm just curious because I have certain preferences pertaining to long irons and hybos and I'd like to hear your take. Off the deck more or off the tee more?

Came back to my 588 CB's after a 4.5 week layoff and an emergency surgery. Figured I would suck, but I hit my 588's like I never took a break. Shot a 77 from 6,853 yards and my 588 CB's, (and the Classic), were a huge reason why. I hit the 4 and 5 irons so well in this set and was firing at pins with my 7 and 8 irons (for me). Made 2 birdie's and had 3 more legit chances from under 15 feet. I hit 10 greens in reg and 3 more fringes. Had a ton of 5-7 iron (170-195 yard) approaches, so I am very happy with these stats. Was never in any real trouble, but had to get up and down a few times. Played with the same ball all day, and I think the surgery had something to do with my improved tempo as I never went hard after anything, just smooth swings all day. It was so nice to be out on the links again after being house bound for a couple weeks and inactive for over a month.

Great round after taking so long off.
It's great to hear that you recovered well and are striking the ball well.
The 588 CB's are def. easy on the eyes good luck on your following rounds. TH

Back