TheWoo

Reaction score
Handicap
0.3 GHIN
First time I've just quit in the middle of a round in a long time. Just had no idea what I was doing, and realized in the middle of my eighth hole that I was having no fun at all. I think the golf gods have reminded me both yesterday and today that I had more important things to do than play. I'm going with some friends in the morning, and if things aren't markedly better, I'll be taking several days off. I've been playing the best golf in a long time, if not ever, the last few weeks. But the last two days I can hardly hit the ball, and have no idea where it's going.

Anyone else ever just quit mid-round? I haven't been that frustrated on the course in a long time...

Skipped off the pond using Tapatalk

I have not. Even when I am playing bad I paid for the round so I am getting my moneys worth

Dude don't put so much pressure on yourself to play well, the course will do that for you. Remember you could be dead and not playing golf at all :D

I have never walked off a course and i never will

I once quit because of frustration and also because I had also injured my knee the day before

The only round I didn't finish was the one where I hurt my elbow two months ago.

I have not. Even when I am playing bad I paid for the round so I am getting my moneys worth

I had that thought. And I followed it with "That's a sunk cost - no reason to make myself miserable." I figure it's like gorging yourself to misery at a buffet. Is making yourself miserable worth it to get your money's worth? I didn't need to be more pissed off when I got home...

After the handicap thread, I must ask if you are reporting this score even though you did not finish.

Laughing.....kinda. :D

Dude don't put so much pressure on yourself to play well, the course will do that for you. Remember you could be dead and not playing golf at all :D

It honestly wasn't pressure to play well, I just found there was nothing enjoyable about being there. It was weird. I hope playing with friends tomorrow and taking a few days off will help.

After the handicap thread, I must ask if you are reporting this score even though you did not finish.

Laughing.....kinda. :D

Good point. I should look at my score through 8, make a decent guess on what I'd have scored on 9, and report the 9 hole score. Thanks for the reminder!

I've had bad rounds before, where I felt like I could not hit the ball, but I always finish out the round.

I played a round in Bismarck ND. The course was along the river and nestled in cottonwoods. The mosquitos were so bad that i quit my round on the 13th hole. Buzzing in your ears, eyes and nose. I've stopped playing at the turn if things are really bad. Usually i just keep going and try and figure it out. Most times it helps me concentrate more and by the end i'm back on track. Leave the course with a good feeling anyway.

I left after 7 last month, the only time I've ever done it. It's a game, it's supposed to be fun, and no matter how good I hope to be one day, I'll never make a living playing it so the most important part is to enjoy myself. I had doubled or tripled every hole up to 7, taken so many penalty strokes I'd actually lost count of what my score was, and I just didn't feel it. No sense in continuing when my performance has dropped so low I'd actually rather be at work.

Other than that day, I've had good days, bad days, and both in the same round (today, half was a personal best, half was possibly worse than I've ever played) and I never get frustrated, I just enjoy it and walking off the course before I'm through never crosses my mind.

I've walked from a rough range session and was better for it. Had one time where I would have liked to walk mid-round, just had too many other things running through my head and was unable to enjoy the moment. So it goes, I'm sure you will be better next round.

I never have quit. I paid for it. Even if it's the worst round ever, there has got to be at least one positive that I will find. Albeit if Injury or weather factor in I would leave

This!!! No matter how bad it gets, just hang in there!

I have walked off once, I had the shanks so bad that I lost all my balls in 7 or 8 holes. Now I just bring more balls. But I have been where you were before, I'll finish the round and then take a week or so off and refresh mentally and physically.

I have been that frustrated a few times before but couldn't walk off! Can't justify paying the coin and walking away! I have really wanted to a handful of times!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The only time I've quit mid round was when there was a massive thunderstorm and the university emergency sirens went off- everyone was forced inside dues to hail, rain and high winds (sorry cookie I'm not as cool as you and can't play in that weather)

I quite often will pick up the ball in the middle of a hole. Its a quick way to reset for me. I find if I keep hacking away it leads to more and more frustrations. I try and ward it off early.

I have a bad habit at my course though. The last hole has become a giant pain in my backside this year. I can be even par and then blowup on the last and end up anywhere from 5 over or more just on the one hole. Quite often if that hole sours my day I will pack up and forgo a 2nd 9 holes.

I've only stopped mid-round twice. Both times were due to injury (back once and wrist the other).

About 4 years ago, when I was really getting into getting better I walked off the course after the 12th hole. Now, to be fair, my brother can tell you that this particular hole is one mean SOB. I was 1 over on my round and I was hitting my 3rd shot (it's a par 5) which is an all water carry from about 145. It's a stupid par 5. There's a creek that runs through it at 210 yards and then the hole doglegs left so the smart play is a 5iron off the tee short of the creek, but then the hole doglegs back to the right and there's a huge lake that guards the front of the green so you have to lay up to the 150 marker with a 6iron or so and carry that water for your 3rd shot. I've never in my life seen anyone sniff being on that hole in 2. Anyway, there I stood, 145 out, had Nike CCi forged irons at the time and I was hitting an 8iron. I got the shanks, right there. It was awful. I literally emptied my bag of balls, just shanking ball after ball into the water. The guys I was playing with were laughing their asses off. I was not happy. I emptied my bag of balls, got in the cart, drove straight to the parking lot and got the hell out of there, LOL.

That's the only time I ever quit on a round of golf. I literally couldn't go forward.

I would not stop unless weather or injury forced my too. One thing you could have done is just stop keeping score. It may not seem like much but it could get you out of the funk you were in.

Literally no. Mentally, yup. Then I get angry and start acting like a dick.

I have had little tempers for a hole or two but just remind me I am out there to have fun, not make it on the tour. I can still be competitive though

The beauty of having a membership is I can walk off the course at any time and not worry about getting my money's worth. I have those days once every other week or so where I'm struggling to break 60 on the front 9... back 9 does NOT happen on those days.

Back