Sergio Paying Caddie Less

I think the best thing for Sergio to do would be to pay the caddy the 10%, would get him in the good graces of everybody in the media. But if he doesn't, it doesn't really change my opinion of him. I think he has a ton of talent and I really hope that he can win a major some day.

Though the media are making assumptions as of right now.

Big deal. He isn't full time and didn't have any responsibilities other than shutting up and carrying the bag. What is that 25% of a normal caddy's duties? Sure, it would've been nice for Sergio to throw him a nice bonus (especially since he worked an extra day) but not even close to a must, IMO.

I wonder if this might lead to another up and coming pro to take a chance on this guy and give him a job?

I think he should give him rack rate! He won what, a million? Why not part with it and give the kid what he deserves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I can't wait to read what surely will be an upcoming Sports Illustrated article on how Sergio did this guy wrong, and how he should man up and make things right again.

Yes, I agree with it. You pay for someone's expertise and knowledge in several service industries. In this case, the dude just hauled a bag around it sounds like. That doesn't exactly take special talent. Now had he given yardages, and read greens when requested, like most caddies, then he should have gotten full pay.

~Rock

I've gone back and forth on this in my own mind but here's where I'm landing: Unless they agreed to a different pay scale before he started, I think this is wrong (and since they connected two hours before the event started that seems unlikely). Sergio hasn't won in 4 years. Whatever this particular caddie did performance wise is obviously exactly what Sergio needed in order to play his best golf. If that means doing less than a traditional caddie then so be it. Put it this way, would Sergio rather have a top 10 finish and standard caddie behavior or this?

Interesting how quick some are to spend someone else's money. 10% is what is "customary" for professional caddies. If he would've picked up a professional caddy that was looking for a loop because he was between pro's for some reason, then, Yes, that caddy would probably have the sense to negotiate the "customary" rate.

If a teacher calls in sick and a sub is brought in, the school district doesn't pay the sub "rack rate". They get the "sub rate".

All that being said, I'm sure Sergio took care of the guy and both are happy. If it was me, I would gladly take a cash only fee so the IRS doesn't see all of it.

Well Sergio is worth an estimated 40 million, I think he can afford 10%

Honest question: what does it take to be an official PGA caddie? Is there some licensing program or something?

If they made the financial arrangement before the tourney then fine. If they didn't define the salary before then shame on the caddy. Either way it kind of sucks for the guy but it's his own fault.

Chipped via Tapatalk 2

Honest question: what does it take to be an official PGA caddie? Is there some licensing program or something?

All you had to do for the PGA National Professionals Championship this past June here was put your name in for a caddy spot and follow the rules of play for caddies if you were chosen. This was a PGA event, but not a PGA Tour event so it may depend on the particular tour and their regulations.

Interesting how quick some are to spend someone else's money. 10% is what is "customary" for professional caddies. If he would've picked up a professional caddy that was looking for a loop because he was between pro's for some reason, then, Yes, that caddy would probably have the sense to negotiate the "customary" rate.

If a teacher calls in sick and a sub is brought in, the school district doesn't pay the sub "rack rate". They get the "sub rate".

All that being said, I'm sure Sergio took care of the guy and both are happy. If it was me, I would gladly take a cash only fee so the IRS doesn't see all of it.

Great example.

There are a lot of sub teachers who have agreed to the terms of that pay rate. Let's say for argument sake that they didn't discuss what he would get but this guy knew what was customary on tour. Should he get less? I think unless it's discussed otherwise, like a cash only fee, give the guy what's generally accepted as customary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This week Sergio is using Wayne Richardson who works for CBS Sports feeding yardages to the broadcast team. I would think this guy knows enough to reach an agreement prior to taking the job. Also, I wonder how hard it was to get the week off from his job? As for the question about his last caddies payment, I think it is fair to pay the guy less since he wasn't a pro and didn't do anything other than lug his bag around. A bellhop from the local Hyatt could've done the same job. Perhaps doing all the thinking helped him focus better on just what he wanted to do on each shot. He hasn't looked that good for years. Also, he has been quoted as not planning on getting a regular caddy for the rest of the year.

this is pretty funny im sure its gonna be way more than hed make normally for the 4 days.

The exchange rate must be killing Sergio

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

The exchange rate must be killing Sergio

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

lol im sure.... i dunno how hes gonna afford dinner tonight.

I think it was a professional curtsey that neither side has come out and said what the exact amount was. We all know what Sergio earned up from for the win, but were there sponsorship entitlements that were claimed as a bonus for winning too? If they didn't discuss earnings going in (we wouldn't even be having this conversation if Sergio didn't win - would we?) then that is the most unprofessional and wreck-less business decision either of them could have made. I'm sure folks in Sergio's camp would not let that happen.

As for the caddie, taking a lower cut is sort of expected. He can't be expected to figure out Sergio in a couple of practice rounds to try and give him on-course advise. Presuming that this caddie was there for the practice rounds and spent at least that amount of time together. It was a business decision, and not very many businessmen think with their hearts/souls first and their wallet second.....

I can't imagine this guy took the bag and said "whatever you think is fair, that'll be fine". If someone cut your lawn under that arrangement, I bet a lot of the people calling for full rate would stiff a neighborhood kid something fierce and congratulate themselves on saving a few bucks.

What the caddie gets, he gets. Relying on someone's kindness is a hard, hard way to make a buck, so I hope they had some agreement in place. If it isn't for the "customary" cut, that's a shame but that's the deal.

Is there a union for caddies?

I don't see how Sergio could balk at paying the guy the regular rate, he played better than he has in years, he looked more relaxed than I've ever seen him, and he won lol. Regardless of what the guy got paid, there may be a lesson in there for pro's, getting your own yardages, figuring out your own shot and club selection works sometimes.

I think they should have (and hopefully did) discussed this before the caddy agreeing to be on his bag. As long as Sergio pays the agreed amount or %, then it's all good.

I agree with this. If there was no conversation about percentages ahead of time, I think it is reasonable for the caddy to assume standard pay.

Back