2012 Morgan Cup Recap Thread

I have another question for the MCers.

After picking your bags, playing them through the prep and event, was there any choice that you made that you regret? Say going 52-56-60 then realizing 50-54-58 wouldve worked a little better, or getting a 3 wood instead of a 4wood or anything like that?

MC Staffers,

Knowing what you know now, what could you have done differently to better prepare for the Morgan Cup? I am looking for anything from putting drills in a sauna to public speaking lessons.

One thing I would suggest to people is that you get out and play golf. I know it sounds simple, but if you ask guys from Sunday how they felt, I think the words tired or exhausted would have been commonly used. So I would go out and try to play 36 holes on a day and back it up with 18 the next. Also it may sound silly, but I think those HOTD videos help get you used to playing in front of a camera. Now clearly it's not the same, but I think it helps.

I have a question though! I would love to hear about the feelings you felt when you first found out which sponsor you were representing?

I really did not have a preference. I was with Callaway for the previous MC and thought they did a great job. Cleveland had created a lot of buzz for their 2012 products at that point, and Bridgestone was going to give you an opportunity to play equipment that is hard to come by plus a Bettinardi putter. I was excited when I found out it was Bridgestone, but I would have been excited for any of the 3.

I know some have touched on it but when did the gravity of the event set in for everyone? Was it the day you were chosen? When the equipment and heat arrived? Touch down in MB? Media day? It must have been different for everyone.

Mine was at the viewing party. Being down in FL with JB and Chunky talking about what we'd like to see happen and what was going to happen, and then all of a sudden here are the applicants. After the video coverage stopped we talked for a good 2+ hours about what we just saw and who we thought would make the list.

On the course - it was the moment that Cookie described on 18 at True Blue.

After picking your bags, playing them through the prep and event, was there any choice that you made that you regret? Say going 52-56-60 then realizing 50-54-58 wouldve worked a little better, or getting a 3 wood instead of a 4wood or anything like that?

I might have gone with a 3 wood/5wood/4 hybrid combo, but I'm not sure. Really I liked all of my equipment and it all gets used still.

I wished I'd gone 3/4/5 hybrids rather than the 7 wood, but it wasn't a really big deal. I still did well with the F7, but I just prefer hybrids in that slot in most situations.

I think I would have gone 2h/4h or 5w/4h vs. 3h/4h. Other than that I am very happy w/ the selections I made.

Colonel time! I'm a captain now, so I can do this!! :D

I have a question though! I would love to hear about the feelings you felt when you first found out which sponsor you were representing?
Nothing against Cleveland or Callaway one bit but I really hoped that I'd end up being sponsored by Bridgestone. I had did the review on the J40 wedges and the J40 Dual Pocket Cavity irons so I knew I loved the equipment and everything I've seen and been involved in with the company just impressed me to no end. I was definitely very excited to hear I'd be a Bridgestone staffer and they completely delivered well beyond my wildest dreams from day 1.

I know some have touched on it but when did the gravity of the event set in for everyone? Was it the day you were chosen? When the equipment and heat arrived? Touch down in MB? Media day? It must have been different for everyone.
When I got the call from Josh asking if I could pull it off and that I'd be on Team THP I was pumped. But I think it was when I was on the plane on my way to MB that it finally hit me. "Damn, I'm on my way to Myrtle Beach, SC for the Morgan Cup baby!

I don't know if this was asked, but were there any MCers who went with irons that were a grade above what they were used to? IE, went with Players Irons instead of GIs. Did those irons help or hurt performance in the competition?
I had played the Bridgestone DPC irons before and up until the 2012 THP Demo Day was sure I was going with those because they offer more forgiveness than the J40 CB iron but after playing the CB at demo day I decided that I just had to try them. I thought they'd be a little too much for me but I was wrong. They're the best irons ever. They helped me a ton as far as the performance they give me. I love how they just sliced right through the turf down there...like a hot knife through butter. Or maybe margarine if you're watching your weight. But definitely like a hot knife through some sort of buttery substance.

Before the event started I thought I had a regret. I thought I regretted getting a 24 degree hybrid and a 18 degree 5 wood. At home I was skying everything with both clubs and couldn't get my distances figured out. I thought I should have gone 18 degree hybrid and a 4 iron. Then I get to MB and as I've said before, something just clicked for me with both clubs and I rocked with them all weekend. I still have that going now too, I just needed time to figure out how to hit those clubs and now that I have them dialed in I love it.

My computers acting up so Ive had some trouble with some videos, but I must say I am pretty impressed with the pride that hte MCers carry in this thread. They have that glow. They have that passion. Its nice to see and I am sure it was awesome to have 23 others in the same place sharing that experience well done!

I was tickled when I found out I was with Cleveland. Since I was already testing the Black driver I knew it would make that choice very easy, plus the very first real wedge I owned was a 588. I had played the Z-Star ball before and knew it was a good ball but I was a little nervous to leave the 330RX. Knowing Cleveland has a club for everyone in their line I never once worried about finding something that fit me. Of course when they dropped the custom bombs on us I think I went into orbit for a few minutes from joy.

This happened twice for me. The first time was with biggsy after the announcement was made. We stood in a Costco parking lot after the Westchase outing and just talked for a while about everything MC. He gave me some really good advice that night that I kept with me the whole way through.

The second time was when I stuck the tee in the dirt Saturday morning. The lights came up and the camera was rolling, showtime baby! Never have I been so relieved to hit a giant fairway in all my life. Standing there watching and cheering on 23 of your buddies to hit a good drive was very special.

I don't know if this was asked, but were there any MCers who went with irons that were a grade above what they were used to? IE, went with Players Irons instead of GIs. Did those irons help or hurt performance in the competition?

Yep. I would do it again in a heartbeat, helped me greatly. I went to an iron with half the sole of what I was playing before, a smaller profile, and I hit them better than the previous irons.

I might have tweaked my 3 wood shaft knowing what I know now, but that's a push really. For what I initially had in mind for it it's perfect. I would have gone 53*/58* in my wedges and ordered a second pitching wedge bent 2* weak.

What is everyone plans for those staff bags? I think I would have a tough time keeping them in play, do you guys plan on using them for club storage or something or keeping them on the course?

Big time coloneling for me too.

My computers acting up so Ive had some trouble with some videos, but I must say I am pretty impressed with the pride that hte MCers carry in this thread. They have that glow. They have that passion. Its nice to see and I am sure it was awesome to have 23 others in the same place sharing that experience well done!

I was really excited for a couple of reasons. #1 was the wedges. How can you not love the 588 wedges. Then we found out we were going full customization for putters and wedges, and any Miyazaki shaft we wanted. Yeah, I was pretty stoked, but you have to remember as a lefty I only had 2 options, and I would have been thrilled with either one.

This was mentioned in one of my feature presentations (haha) but for me it was walking into the clubhouse at True Blue and seeing the guys in the pro shop logged in to THP and watching us on camera. Really effing cool!

Not a grade above iron, but it was my first try with graphite iron shafts, and I have to say that I love them and will probably never go back to steel.

Not a regret necessarily, but I guess I got a little lucky. I got 2 3 woods. The Black, and the F3 and I have really struggled with the F3 while hitting the Black well, so if I could have not gotten the F3 and maybe gotten another hybrid that would have been good.

The only thing I may have changed was going from 4W to strong 3. Although everything worked absolutely great for me down there, I could have used a tad more length on shorter par 4's and maybe had a chance at a few par 5's in 2. But, that is just being picky at this point. 5-PW with the the 3/4 hybrids were great in addition to the 50, 54, 58 wedges. I have very consistent gaps from 3H through my wedges and really like it.

What is everyone plans for those staff bags? I think I would have a tough time keeping them in play, do you guys plan on using them for club storage or something or keeping them on the course?

I am torn. Around here nobody uses them and I want to keep it in great shape. With that said I love using it, repping Bridgestone, and talking about the Morgan Cup.

Will be cleaned up and put in my office so that I will have it for years to come.

Mine is displayed with a few special clubs in my golf room that is currently being worked on.

Question for the MC'ers: Do you still plan on playing the irons/woods/wedges/putter that you used for the MC?

Question for the MC'ers: Do you still plan on playing the irons/woods/wedges/putter that you used for the MC?

Hybrids, irons, & wedges: yes, without a doubt
Driver, FW wood, & putter: experimenting with a few other "hot" clubs on the market at the moment

I would have went with a 50* wedge instead of the 4h. I I hit the dpc 5i similar to it. Plus I have a gap at the bottom that I didn't have with the other set up. I since have gotten a 50* to match the others and pulled the 4h. It's in the staff bag that's all nice and clean and pretty sitting next to my putting green in the basement. I will be keeping the staff bag there until my golf room is built. Then it will be on display in my new mancave. Lol

Fear the Sober Frog!! Amphibians can Tapatalk

I am using 13/14. I prefer the putter I was using prior to the MC which just happens to be another Betti but my MC putter will still get some time in the bag.

I'll use it occasionally. I miss the dang storage space!

Yep, I'm playing them til the heads fall off. Hi Hawk :act-up:

Right now my bag is pretty similar. I swap the 4 wood for my mashie 3w as I try to figure out which is best for me. Also I went back to my method putter for now. Everything else is safe.

I'm gaming them all except one of the hybrids. But did get a wedge to match. 50* black oxide PX 5.5 graphite shaft. They are all amazing clubs. If I didn't hit the 5i so well I would be gaming the 4h too.

Fear the Sober Frog!! Amphibians can Tapatalk

Right now mine is sitting in my garage with a few spare clubs. I love the bag but using a staff bag just isn't that practical when you have to load and unload from the back of a Yukon on every trip to the course.

My entire bag is exactly as it was in the Morgan Cup. I am actually starting to consider a different putter. Two reasons. 1 is I'd like to display this one and of course keep it safe since it has my name stamped on it and another reason is I've been putting like shat lately. We'll see though.

A bunch of great and insightful answers this morning.

Love that it still carries the same emotion as it did that weekend.

My bag is cleaned up and sitting in my man cave, along with the glove I wore and towel I used. I'm not saying I won't ever use it, but it's something I'd like to keep as a memory piece. It looks really cool down there too.

I still have almost my entire bag in play.

The putter is something I want to keep in top shape, though I'll still get it out here and there. It's going to be my son's and I want it to stay as-is if I can help it.

Honestly, I've tried to bring in some other clubs just for the sake of doing it, but I seem to get better results from the MC bag. It's hard for me to play a one-company bag as an equipment reviewer. I do want to make sure I'm seen as unbiased, but as of now, most of my MC bag is what works for me better than the other clubs I have tried in the last few weeks.

Back