David Frederick

Reaction score
Handicap
My dog came in and hopped my bed about a half hour ago. The down side is he had just killed a skunk in my back yard. Already bathed him and tossed the sheets but it is ugly in here. Whew!

Isnt the old saying that tomato juice gets rid of the smell? Although I would probably take mine to the vet to make sure he had no bites and was okay. Plus they could recommend something for the odor.

This^^^^^^ the tomato juice bath should fix the pooch right up.

we had to do the bath once, it got rid of most of the smell, took awhile for the "rest" to air out, but was definitely the right thing to do

Oh dear goodness I would be mad! Found this online. From this link - http://healthypets.mercola.com/site...etter-than-tomato-juice-as-a-skunk-rinse.aspx

Tomato juice isn't nearly as effective as this recipe, and it's easy to follow.
In a pail mix:
  • 1 quart hydrogen peroxide (the 3 percent hydrogen peroxide variety)
  • ¼ cup baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons Dawn dishwashing liquid
If you have a large breed dog, you may need to double, triple or even quadruple the mixture.
Wear dishwashing or other household gloves if you like during the whole de-skunking process.
Don't wet down your pet. Apply the mixture to your pet's dry coat from the collar back toward the tail. Don't pour it near the eyes because the hydrogen peroxide solution can burn them.
Lather the mixture into your pet's coat and skin. Rub the solution around for about five minutes or until the skunk smell starts to dissipate.

My dog came in and hopped my bed about a half hour ago. The down side is he had just killed a skunk in my back yard. Already bathed him and tossed the sheets but it is ugly in here. Whew!
Nothing lingers like the smell of skunk spray. I agree with the go to the vet recommendation, get the dog checked and get his recommendation for combating the smell.

AC,
We were always told that hydrogen peroxide while good at assisting with odors, can in fact dry out dog's skin and coat, so that is one reason that some vets still recommend tomato juice depending on dog and breed.

AC,
We were always told that hydrogen peroxide while good at assisting with odors, can in fact dry out dog's skin and coat, so that is one reason that some vets still recommend tomato juice depending on dog and breed.

Understood I just did a quick google search to try and help him out and the sites I was pulling up seemed to suggest the hydrogen peroxide in small doses and keeping away from the head of the dog. I just want to say good luck to the OP in getting rid of the smell!

Good luck man. At one point that was my dogs almost monthly routine. He finally outgrew It after a year or so of skunks.

Dan

Sent via Tapatalk on my Samsung galaxy s3

Good luck! Hope you can get that smell out

Ouch, hope your dog didn't get any bites. I know the smell is bad, but might be a good idea to get a quick check up. Hope he don't find a coon next time.

The hydrogen peroxide and baking soda is the best. Tomato juice or vinegar can work, but takes more baths. To counter-act the dry skin, add 1 tablespoon (or teaspoon for small dogs) of corn oil or similar oil to your dog's food.

I've had 2 dogs in my life and both have been sprayed by a skunk at some point. Tomato juice bath helps but the smell still lingers for a few weeks after.

Best thing to use for the house would be an ozone generator.

sent from my brain using my thumb.

Am I the only one here that thinks a light skunk smell actually isn't too bad?

Although my dog has never been sprayed, so that could change my opinion fairly quickly haha...

Although my dog has never been sprayed, so that could change my opinion fairly quickly haha...

I don't mind the smell much either.

Really? Ugh makes me sick. Luckily my dog is way too lazy to chase anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fortunately he is a pit bull and has very short hair. I shampooed him, did the tomato juice thing and left a message for my vet to call me back. There is still a slight smell in the house this morning but not bad. Kind of smells like my studio after my old guitar player was here, if you know what I mean. Ha!
I'm surprised at the number of others that have had thier dogs "skunked". I see them out at night in this neighborhood often and 5 or 6 years ago my border collie got sprayed. She has long hair and it was much worse. At least she was smart enough not to stay around for fight. Two weeks later you could still smell it if you put your face close to her. Thanks for the responses and suggestions. Back to thinking about golf now. David

Our dogs seem to get sprayed about once a year. The hydrogen peroxide + baking soda + dish soap works the best. It's what my Vet recommends and I can't disagree with her because she's my wife. I always have a couple bottles of hydrogen peroxide around just in case.

Seriously? Haven't you ever run over or driven by a road-kill skunk, and went "Ewwwwww"? Luckily, I've only had 2 dogs get sprayed over 20+ yrs. The first time I shampooed the heck out him IN the house and did the tomato juice. The smell stayed in the house for many, many days. The second time (different dog) I shampooed and bathed the dog OUTSIDE with the hydrogen peroxide mixture. Thus, no smell IN the house.

Most pet store have a product called skunk off works great spray a little one rub in smell is gone, works great my shepperd got into a skunk about 4 times this stuff is awesome. Good Luck

Back