TaylorMade ATV Wedges Review - Forum Testing

I am hoping to get out this weekend but it doesn't look like it is going to happen due to what is left of hurricane isaac hitting us with 4-7" of rain all weekend. Should be a great test if we do get that much rain and these perform great after that lol.

Might have appendicitis, so, I may be on the bench for a short while. Sorry fellas, terrible timing as the peak of my golf season is coming to a close and I am coming off a refreshing 13 day break from golf...plus my ATV testing obligations. I hope to get back at it ASAP, if nothing else, short game work around the greens.

Hoping the pain I've had the last two days will be gone when I wake up tomorrow.

Might have appendicitis, so, I may be on the bench for a short while. Sorry fellas, terrible timing as the peak of my golf season is coming to a close and I am coming off a refreshing 13 day break from golf...plus my ATV testing obligations. I hope to get back at it ASAP, if nothing else, short game work around the greens.

Hoping the pain I've had the last two days will be gone when I wake up tomorrow.

Dude get better! Get that thing out of there!!1

So I had a great range session with my 56 this week, I went after my classes and I only took two things-my 56 and my putter, I tried every shot that I could imagine with it since I'm practicing my short game technique and it seems that every time I play or practice with the ATV I get better and better and it responds like if it was a part of my body if that makes sense-it feels pretty natural-except the grip feels like it will need to be replaced soon. Yet I don't want to replace it since the stock grip is so great.

I did notice that I've been able to control my chips better now that I'm not flipping my wrists and I can manipulate the ball flight (as far as chips go) and I can make it stop faster by launching it higher or run out more by launching it lower. I also experimented with the short toe down (or up whatever it was) and it was really cool, I usually use my putter when the ball is close and on the fringe but now I just pull out the ATV.

Dont yell at me for asking something that has no doubt been asked before, but how do these compare to the SM4s? I mean, why buy one over the other?

Dont yell at me for asking something that has no doubt been asked before, but how do these compare to the SM4s? I mean, why buy one over the other?

Well Vokey Makes some great wedges and I owned some of them and the biggest difference is going to be the sole-and bounce-with the Vokey's I had to pick a specific bounce angle-with the specific bounce angle per wedge I have to sacrifice some shots for others-with the ATV in the other hand I don't have to worry about having too much or too little bounce for a specific shot-so in my opinion I can do shots now that I couldn't with my SM4s and other Vokey wedges I've owned.

... the grip feels like it will need to be replaced soon. Yet I don't want to replace it since the stock grip is so great.

I never thought about it - can you get the same grip as a replacement? Are they easy to find? And - could you get this grip for a non-ATV wedge? The grip and how guys were using it to gage how far to open up the face of the club is definitely one of the reasons I'm dying to try it. Too bad I'll have to wait a while - just cracked a rib & fractured my L1 vertebra - so swinging a club is a definite no-no right now! Guess I'll have to get my golf fix here at THP - keep up the good work guys!

I know I can order from lamkin or your golf shop should be able to get em. Love the stock grip with the dots, just adds a little. Ore ease to an already tough aspect of the game.

I never thought about it - can you get the same grip as a replacement? Are they easy to find? And - could you get this grip for a non-ATV wedge? The grip and how guys were using it to gage how far to open up the face of the club is definitely one of the reasons I'm dying to try it. Too bad I'll have to wait a while - just cracked a rib & fractured my L1 vertebra - so swinging a club is a definite no-no right now! Guess I'll have to get my golf fix here at THP - keep up the good work guys!

It's the Lamkin Performance Plus 3GEN and can be ordered through The Golf Works, Lamkin, Golfsmith, etc. They aren't cheap. I think they are about $10 apiece.

My concern is that they won't have the extra length that the stock grip has-I really liked the way they had the extended grip on there, it really helps on those touchy shots where one chokes down

My concern is that they won't have the extra length that the stock grip has-I really liked the way they had the extended grip on there, it really helps on those touchy shots where one chokes down

It is the same length. It is the same exact grip. When Lamkin introduced this grip, they took it to TaylorMade when TM was looking for grips to put on the ATV. The gentleman JB interviewed regarding the ATV wedge talked about that in the podcast. Here is the information from Lamkin's site.

http://www.lamkingrips.com/?r=Performance-Plus-3GEN-Wedge-White

3_rollover.jpg

Thanks for posting man, me likey the white

You bet, dude. I was actually looking at these grips for my wedges when I re-shafted with Spinners before taking on the ATV for testing. The regular 3GENS were a much more affordable option and I was already familiar with them. TM made a very wise decision going with these on the ATV, as I think the grip helps guide you and helps you trust what the ATV can do a little more.

Dude get better! Get that thing out of there!!.

Thanks, dude. It feels a bit better today, so, it might not be that after all...gonna give it a few days before I go through the hassle of going to the doctor or hospital.

Good to see the replacement grips are available for purchase through Lamkin. I am digging the white one, but I think I have some life left on my stock one...seems to be holding up quite well for me.

Played 18 today. And my wedge game was really, really bad. I don't fault the ATV on all of it, but there are times where the ATV and I just don't get along. I can't hit this thing from tight lies to save my life. I tell myself, stay aggressive, stay down, strike the ball. And I either chunk it (did that more than anything today) or I blade it low and long. I was striking the ball off the tee so damn well today, and I left myself a lot of 120's in, 110's in, 90's in, and I can only recall two nice approaches that I struck well and was happy with, and I actually left one of those short of the green, but I hit it right on line and at a perfect trajectory.

The toe down and my touch around the greens have totally abandoned me over the last few weeks. Rust is most of it, as I think I got a little too comfortable with my short stretch of success with the ATV. I don't fault the ATV for my struggles, but I am living proof, it is not going to help you with ALL of your swing flaws or cover them up entirely.

If I am hitting the ATV out of the rough, it is probably the greatest wedge I have ever hit in my life. Unfortunately, the course is burnt up and I found myself in more fairways and short grass lies today, and the ATV and I just weren't having any fun and getting along.

That's why I've been reluctant to get new wedges. I still play my old Cleveland tour action 588 gun metal wedges, 52* and 56*. These ATV wedges are really the first that have me thinking about new wedges. Typically around the green I am in longer grass at the courses I play here in NC, but there are some that after big drives or going for par 5s in 2 that I'm in the fairway with less than 50 yards and typically going over a bunker. These wedges have their faults and I don't always love them, especially out of the rough, but green side tight lies and bunkers they have been very good to me over the years.

That's why I've been reluctant to get new wedges. I still play my old Cleveland tour action 588 gun metal wedges, 52* and 56*. These ATV wedges are really the first that have me thinking about new wedges. Typically around the green I am in longer grass at the courses I play here in NC, but there are some that after big drives or going for par 5s in 2 that I'm in the fairway with less than 50 yards and typically going over a bunker. These wedges have their faults and I don't always love them, especially out of the rough, but green side tight lies and bunkers they have been very good to me over the years.

I have said it a few times, as well as other testers and others users that have added their thoughts, the ATV's are worth the price of admission from the rough. They perform so well out of the rough, it's almost unfair. Before I fell into my wedge funk over the past month or so, I was having great success around the greens with the 56*. Matter of fact, that was my bread and butter for a while, hitting good shots around the green. I have been inconsistent from the word go from tight lies with the ATV. I either have a good stretch where I am hitting it well and doing everything right, or I have a stretch (like I am in now), where I am chunking everything and throwing in a thin shot for good measure from time to time.

My only real complaints with the wedge thus far, are the lack of feedback/feel on shots. Sometimes, they all just feel the same, no matter if I hit it good or bad. Maybe it's just me, but the ATV for sure gives me a different feedback than the Cleveland CG10's, CG12's, and CG15's, I have gamed in the past.

Thanks for the info Jeff. I'm so close to buying two of them but then I have a good wedge day and back off. How are the shafts in these wedges? Can they be ordered with kbs shafts?

Thanks for the info Jeff. I'm so close to buying two of them but then I have a good wedge day and back off. How are the shafts in these wedges? Can they be ordered with kbs shafts?

KBS Wedge shafts come standard and I really like the head/shaft combo. Most have said the head feels a little heavier than some wedges, some haven't. I guess it just comes down to what you are used to. I played DG Spinners in my CG15/CG14 before taking on the ATV testing duties for TM and THP, so these, to me at least, feel a little light compared to the Spinners. Not saying I don't like the KBS stock shaft, but maybe the Hi-Rev would be a better fit for me, at least in regards to feel.

If you want to go with the Hi-Rev from KBS, I have seen that Global Golf offers the Hi-Rev shaft as a no charge upgrade.

Taking the ATVs and my Nike wedges out to the course tomorrow afternoon to get some comparison thoughts. Something lately hasnt seemed right on my "touch" type shots with the ATVs, not sure what it is, but I think it has more to do with the extremely soggy conditions I have been playing in the past week and a half.

I also regripped my Nike wedges with the Lamkin grips from the ATVs. These could possibly be the best wedge grip I have ever used. Really like them.

Had a great short game practice session today.
58 degree was money around the greens and knocked in several chips.
But, by far my favorite shot with the 58 is the flop shot. So~~~ easy. I find that I don't have to open the face as much as my previous wedge, and the distance is much easier to control and consistent.
I don't usually take full swings with anything above 56 degrees, but today I just tried for fun and it was consistent 90-100 yards. For tight lies, I just remember to take a deeper divot.

54 is now my bread and butter club anywhere inside 100 yards to just off the fringe.
Out of the rough it is an absolute breeze, and the most consistent wedge I have played. I am so comfortable with this club, my R11 AW is crying for playing time.

With the types of shots I play around the greens, 54 degrees releases just about twice the distance of the 58, so it has actually made my club selections easier as well, depending on what I am trying to do.

I am very happy with the change, and can't really see any wedge kicking these out the bag unless it's one custom grind wedge I am drooling over.....

Taking the ATVs and my Nike wedges out to the course tomorrow afternoon to get some comparison thoughts. Something lately hasnt seemed right on my "touch" type shots with the ATVs, not sure what it is, but I think it has more to do with the extremely soggy conditions I have been playing in the past week and a half.

I also regripped my Nike wedges with the Lamkin grips from the ATVs. These could possibly be the best wedge grip I have ever used. Really like them.

Ryan the really wet stuff also messes with my mind with my ATV however I don't think there is a wedge made that gives me confidence off that kind of lie. If I trust it and go on through the muddy lie it comes out better than average. I think it's more a mental thing for me with the wet soggy turf.

this is one helluva thread.
I've been kicking the idea of getting these wedges around for awhile now. looks like I need to hit the proshop and do a demo...

Back to being healthy again and "golf ready", so I should be back out on the course in the next couple of evening after work for some practice. I miss my ATV's more than any other club in my bag...one club I don't miss is my driver, but I still love and miss the ATV's.

Maybe my girlfriend will be able to be suckered into coming with me so that I can make a video for the slow spinner shot from mid range (for me, 90 and in)...that is assuming I can still hit it after this break.

Back to being healthy again and "golf ready", so I should be back out on the course in the next couple of evening after work for some practice. I miss my ATV's more than any other club in my bag...one club I don't miss is my driver, but I still love and miss the ATV's.

Maybe my girlfriend will be able to be suckered into coming with me so that I can make a video for the slow spinner shot from mid range (for me, 90 and in)...that is assuming I can still hit it after this break.

Nothing like the old slow spinner broski! Do it :blob:

Back