Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

So the verdict is in. Classic 290 with Matrix 6M3 is a fairway finder. I was a little worried after I started hitting this driver on the range. It is HEAD light. So at first I was thinking this thing doesn't feel right, but after giving it a fair workout I was happy. Distance is right up there with the Superfast 2.0 TP, but the real key factor was its accuracy.

I played the front 9 at my local track Chardonnay Club. From the tees I was playing it plays just over 3300 yards. I hit 5/6 fairways, 7/9 GIR's and shot an even par 36. This hasn't happened in awhile. When you can confidently get off the tee and in the fairway it just makes the game easier. The only fairway I missed was on #9(of course) and I pulled it left, but still had a good lie and almost put it on in 2 on the par 5. Also, the wind was howling today and anytime I have had wind in my face I struggle, but this club just brings confidence at address. I know it was only one 9 hole round, but I think this bad boy is in the bag for a long time. (well until the new stuff that the rep today told me about......lol)

Isn't that interesting. Man, Charlotte sucks for slow play golfers.

Yea it does... :confused:

Tapped from my S3

So the verdict is in. Classic 290 with Matrix 6M3 is a fairway finder. I was a little worried after I started hitting this driver on the range. It is HEAD light. So at first I was thinking this thing doesn't feel right, but after giving it a fair workout I was happy. Distance is right up there with the Superfast 2.0 TP, but the real key factor was its accuracy.

I played the front 9 at my local track Chardonnay Club. From the tees I was playing it plays just over 3300 yards. I hit 5/6 fairways, 7/9 GIR's and shot an even par 36. This hasn't happened in awhile. When you can confidently get off the tee and in the fairway it just makes the game easier. The only fairway I missed was on #9(of course) and I pulled it left, but still had a good lie and almost put it on in 2 on the par 5. Also, the wind was howling today and anytime I have had wind in my face I struggle, but this club just brings confidence at address. I know it was only one 9 hole round, but I think this bad boy is in the bag for a long time. (well until the new stuff that the rep today told me about......lol)

FWIW, the clubhead weight of the 290 is 199 grams....same as the Tour 310.

Had a so-so driving night last night, with a couple of nice ones mixed in. Best part is that I still hit 4/6 fairways with the Classic, and the two misses were both very close. Distance on all but one was typical of what I'm seeing lately, with one ball hit a good deal farther than normal.

A couple holes on my course are sort of surrounded by trees and this driver sounds so good when you tee off on them. It sort of echos the sound around and put a little smile on my face.

Anxious to see what some different shafts might do for me. My best swing of the night went farther than the rest, but still just goes higher than it does far.

So I took a Classic from the pro shop demo bag out for a round at league last night. I've only hit a Classic maybe 5-10 times prior, I thought it was decent but because I would be gaming a J40 for the Morgan Cup I never really got too excited about it. I gotta tell you right now, I've been missing out on this thing! I took a 290 with a stiff flex C Kua shaft in a 9 degree head. Everything has been covered over and over in this thread so I won't rehash all that but man I love that sound and feel. It's addicting and you just feel like your mashing the ball. I have been hitting my J40 great so the guys in league thought I was ridiculous for even toying with another driver but hey....it's what I do. I never once felt like the club was too light (my early fear) nor that the deep face was distracting (another early misconception). WOW I like this driver! I nailed my first 3 fairways with it then hit one of the patented high pushes right, a direct result of not committing to and finishing my swing, but then finished the round just hammering it. I was able to get home in 2 on our par 5 2nd hole both times I played it last night. I've only been on in 2 there a total of probably 10 times in my life. TWICE last night. What the?

That is awesome, Jake.

Glad you are loving it Jake! I feel so confident everytime I pull it out of my bag

So I took a Classic from the pro shop demo bag out for a round at league last night. I've only hit a Classic maybe 5-10 times prior, I thought it was decent but because I would be gaming a J40 for the Morgan Cup I never really got too excited about it. I gotta tell you right now, I've been missing out on this thing! I took a 290 with a stiff flex C Kua shaft in a 9 degree head. Everything has been covered over and over in this thread so I won't rehash all that but man I love that sound and feel. It's addicting and you just feel like your mashing the ball. I have been hitting my J40 great so the guys in league thought I was ridiculous for even toying with another driver but hey....it's what I do. I never once felt like the club was too light (my early fear) nor that the deep face was distracting (another early misconception). WOW I like this driver! I nailed my first 3 fairways with it then hit one of the patented high pushes right, a direct result of not committing to and finishing my swing, but then finished the round just hammering it. I was able to get home in 2 on our par 5 2nd hole both times I played it last night. I've only been on in 2 there a total of probably 10 times in my life. TWICE last night. What the?

Good stuff Jake. I got wind that a Classic Driver shipped my way yesterday and should arrive on Monday.

Yours coming with the Kua 43, deano?

bhilln has the 310 and I'm going to be asking to hit it again next weekend. I liked it quite a bit last time I tried it and want to see if I still feel that way.

Good stuff man!

Good stuff Jake. I got wind that a Classic Driver shipped my way yesterday and should arrive on Monday.
You just got wind of something like that. Almost like, I got wind of our monthly water bill will be raising 2% next month. Yeah I can see how you can just get wind of something like that I guess. I sort of got wind of that myself, hence the reason I took one out for a test drive.

Nice feedback there Jake! Ball flight about the same as the J40 but perhaps a bit longer?

Any thoughts on forgiveness across the face? Seems like the Classic is longer top to bottom while the J40 is more heel to toe.

Yours coming with the Kua 43, deano?

bhilln has the 310 and I'm going to be asking to hit it again next weekend. I liked it quite a bit last time I tried it and want to see if I still feel that way.

Yes. 10.5 Stock Stiff 43. I'm pretty excited to try it out.

You just got wind of something like that. Almost like, I got wind of our monthly water bill will be raising 2% next month. Yeah I can see how you can just get wind of something like that I guess. I sort of got wind of that myself, hence the reason I took one out for a test drive.

I like it better when I get wind of good news instead of bad news.

ddec's going long. 226-1/2 yard bombs!

Welcome to the club P4B!!!

Wess, I have been waiting for this! Great stuff! I know what you mean about the head feeling light. I have always thought that the head felt light. I put it on the swing weight machine and E0! WHAT?!?!? I was thinking this was going to be like C9. Guess it goes to show what I know. I was also finally able to get some numbers with my Classic 290 10.5 with the Kusala Black. I have been feeling like I might need to tip it a bit to get the spin down. I was wrong! Two swings on the LM and my average between the two swings was a Launch Angle of 14* and Spin was 2350. I am not touching a thing! Both shots were bombed, so I looked at my friend who was working the LM and said "I don't need to hit anymore!" Those two swings told me all I needed to know. This thing is perfect for me

Nice feedback there Jake! Ball flight about the same as the J40 but perhaps a bit longer?

Any thoughts on forgiveness across the face? Seems like the Classic is longer top to bottom while the J40 is more heel to toe.
My ball flight last night was a good amount lower actually. (when hit well) Could that be the .5 different in loft? Possibly I guess. I did miss one out toward the toe and while it still hit the fairway it was a low runner of a ball flight and probably cost me about 20 to 25 yards. Didn't feel as awesome either. I caught one real high on the face too (not sky mark high, but high) and the flight was of course a sky ball but it still went probably 240 yards so definitely not all that bad.

My ball flight last night was a good amount lower actually. (when hit well) Could that be the .5 different in loft? Possibly I guess. I did miss one out toward the toe and while it still hit the fairway it was a low runner of a ball flight and probably cost me about 20 to 25 yards. Didn't feel as awesome either. I caught one real high on the face too (not sky mark high, but high) and the flight was of course a sky ball but it still went probably 240 yards so definitely not all that bad.

Nice, thanks for that. Good to hear the toe is not punishing. I know the C Kua is not for me but I look forward to trying this in a different shaft.

stupid jake and his mishits that go 240. I dislike him for the next 90 seconds

psshhh. 240? Nothing I can't cover with a couple well struck hybrids.

Wess, I have been waiting for this! Great stuff! I know what you mean about the head feeling light. I have always thought that the head felt light. I put it on the swing weight machine and E0! WHAT?!?!? I was thinking this was going to be like C9. Guess it goes to show what I know. I was also finally able to get some numbers with my Classic 290 10.5 with the Kusala Black. I have been feeling like I might need to tip it a bit to get the spin down. I was wrong! Two swings on the LM and my average between the two swings was a Launch Angle of 14* and Spin was 2350. I am not touching a thing! Both shots were bombed, so I looked at my friend who was working the LM and said "I don't need to hit anymore!" Those two swings told me all I needed to know. This thing is perfect for me

No doubt Doc, I didn't check swingweight but I'm sure it's probably close to what yours it at. I'm thinking about messing with some lead tape that I always keep on my bag, but I will hold off on that and see what my numbers are in Des Moines. I really am starting to like the lightweight though. If I could go light with everything else and keep the flight down I would. It's alot nicer on my back.

I have played my new Cleveland Classic for 3 rounds now. I really like the club, I have the 290 with stock C Kua Stiff shaft, 9 degrees of loft. It really seems to reward a smooth, controlled swing. If I try and crush the ball, a slice seems to show up......occasionally, not all the time, but if I swing smooth and more under control......straight down the fairway, pretty much every time. One question I do have for all the Classic owners on here is with the very deep, large clubface, how high are most of you teeing up your ball? Is the half the ball above the crown of the driver still the norm? I have noticed on occasion when I tee my ball up to this height, my ball marks are on the very top edge of the crown, almost like I am only making contact with like 1/3 of the golfball. What height have most of you been teeing up your golfball? Thanks!

Back