Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

You are money with the super tri. I can put the Indigo in it and bring it to the mid atlantic outing if you want?

No, you should sell me the Indigo. Or better yet trade it to me. :D

Got out for a practice round today. Haven't been out in a while and wanted to loosen up as I've got a ton of golf coming up here in the next week and a half. Practice round, and I was messing around with a lot of things. As it pertains to the Classic, it was tee height. I was using the THP Epoch tees, 3.5". I found that if I teed it up so the top line was just in the ground, I saw the best results. Gonna stick with this setup for a while. I'm also sticking with this driver for coming rounds. Will see at least 5 rounds. A little breakdown since I actually took notes today. :D Yardage was GPS'd with my Garmin.

Hole 2. 373 yard par 4. Smoked the first of the day right down the middle. 268. If only it was always this easy...
Hole 3. 501 par 5. High weak slice. Quit on it, which is my normal miss. 216.
Hole 4. 392 par 4. Finished my swing but either teed it up too low or stood up a bit. Hit a worm burner that only went 190. Was still in the meat of the fairway though.
Hole 6. 366 par 4. Tried to swing too hard and sliced the first one OB. Calmed down and hit my re-tee. Aimed a bit left. Nice little mid-high cut that rolled out to 279.
Hole 8. 328 par 4. Caught this one on the toe quite a bit. Went down the right side and rolled 3 feet into the rough. 210.
Hole 9. 404 par 4. Don't know what the heck I did here. Pulled it left, squirted through a bunker and died on a hill leaving me a heck of a 5W into the green. Was frustrated and forgot to get the yardage on my GPS. Couldn't have been much past 190 though.

Took a second at the turn to calm down. There's not too many driver holes on the back, so it's easy to lose it for me. Tried to zone myself into it.

Hole 10. 494 par 5. Aimed down the left side and put a nice smooth swing on it. Nice mid-high with a little draw on it. 286. Best drive I've hit in a while. Smoked my F3 to 10 yards short of the green.
Hole 15. 524 par 5. Didn't kill it but kept it in the fairway. Had a pretty stout left to right wind and I was mainly focused on keeping it in play. 246. Take that all day on this hole.
Hole 16. 376 par 4. Stood up on this one a little and hit a low screamer that stopped at 231 after scaring a couple of geese.

Had to quit after 16. Got a work call and decided to call it. Not the best day with the driver, but I feel like I'm getting there. Other than my two bad slices, everything was in play for me today. I've been pondering the Kusala (most likely) Blue for this thing, but after today am going to give it some more time with the C. Kua and see how it goes. A couple of holes were eye-opening and showed what I'm capable of doing with this setup. Hope it only gets better from here!

He thought he had the blue but hes got the BLACK. its a Kusala Black 61S with flex code 3566.
Ahhh thanks for the clarification!

Last edited:
Was not hitting the Classic too well at the range today. I hit a few really good ones, and they were really bombs. But was all over the place - a few hooks, a few slices, it was not too pretty. I was much more consistent with the Fast 12 today. BAH! I need to get my driver swing going!

I sure do. I have the Kusala silver in it now but also have the Indigo that has been tipped 3/4".

So do I man, but the Kusala White 10.5 is so good for me now. I actually feel it move when I think about it....

You have some sick shafts dude. How much of an increase in carry are you seeing with the White shafted Classic versus the 12* head?

You have some sick shafts dude. How much of an increase in carry are you seeing with the White shafted Classic versus the 12* head?

Around 15 yards I would guess. At my club's range we have a flag at 240, with the 12*/Silver I would always land 20 or so yards short of it and roll well past. With the 10.5/White I am landing a hair short or right on it. I would of thought the 12*/Silver would have some good carry but with my swing it just isnt there. It is literally night and day between the 2, surprised me.

Around 15 yards I would guess. At my club's range we have a flag at 240, with the 12*/Silver I would always land 20 or so yards short of it and roll well past. With the 10.5/White I am landing a hair short or right on it. I would of thought the 12*/Silver would have some good carry but with my swing it just isnt there. It is literally night and day between the 2, surprised me.

That's pretty freaking good dude lol. Depending what happens down the road and if you still have that 12* I may have to look at that option. I think it could help me get that ballflight up to where I like it.

Was not hitting the Classic too well at the range today. I hit a few really good ones, and they were really bombs. But was all over the place - a few hooks, a few slices, it was not too pretty. I was much more consistent with the Fast 12 today. BAH! I need to get my driver swing going!

don't give up on the Classic my man...it rewards always.
there are dark times, as i've had my own. sometimes, you need to just put him in timeout for awhile and he'll come around, realizing the error of his ways, and later apologize and you'll be friends once again. trust me.

don't give up on the Classic my man...it rewards always.
there are dark times, as i've had my own. sometimes, you need to just put him in timeout for awhile and he'll come around, realizing the error of his ways, and later apologize and you'll be friends once again. trust me.

Haha, no worries, I'm definitely not giving up on this one just yet. Because when it gets going, the Classic is by far my favorite driver I've ever hit. But yeah, I think I'm going to keep the Adams in my bag for my round tomorrow and then try to get some more range time in with the Classic to solve my issues.

That's pretty freaking good dude lol. Depending what happens down the road and if you still have that 12* I may have to look at that option. I think it could help me get that ballflight up to where I like it.

From the White down to the Indigo are very different flights. It amazed me how different they were. Of all the Kusala shafts my best are the White and Blue. Those 2 shafts are money and if you want to try the 12/Silver just send me your addy, I can trust a dude I played a few holes with.

Got a question on the Classic 290. Is the 7.5* head rare or no. Asking because I don't see it almost anywhere and debating selling it. Thanks for the help!

Got a question on the Classic 290. Is the 7.5* head rare or no. Asking because I don't see it almost anywhere and debating selling it. Thanks for the help!

I'm not sure it's rare enough to jack the price up and sell it for a load.

I wouldn't call it rare. I'd just call it unpopular.

lol ok just wondering. I wasn't going to jack the price up just curious. if it was rarer it might have sold faster. I don't like taking advantage of people :)

Although a 7.5* loft wouldn't normally be a popular loft, the Classic 290 paired with the very high-launching C.Kua 43 shaft may be an exception. The C.Kua 43 should make the 7.5* Classic 290 play more like an 8.5* for players with 100+ MPH swing speeds.

Oh nice. How much do you think I could sell it for.

Oh nice. How much do you think I could sell it for.

Check the ones listed on ebay currently....that should give you a good feel for what its worth.

Although a 7.5* loft wouldn't normally be a popular loft, the Classic 290 paired with the very high-launching C.Kua 43 shaft may be an exception. The C.Kua 43 should make the 7.5* Classic 290 play more like an 8.5* for players with 100+ MPH swing speeds.

Anybody actually having any success with this combo? (7.5* Cleveland Classic 290 with stock C. Kua 43S shaft).

Even though Im trying to sell
It I am having success with it. I just dont like the weight or how high it launches for me. Really bombs it out there.

Just like my Bridgestone J40 430 more.

I hit the 310 with the 61x in it last night and it felt really good! I really want to get that club on something other than a sim, but these balls were all going deep, and the dispersion was fairly minute.

Sweet, sweet club.

I found a 270 classic in the pile of clubs today, has the same shaft as my Black in it. Umm, yeah, this was impressive. Liked hitting this one paired with the 39S shaft.

I found a 270 classic in the pile of clubs today, has the same shaft as my Black in it. Umm, yeah, this was impressive. Liked hitting this one paired with the 39S shaft.

Big pumpin!!! Still trying to figure out where the heck that thing came from?

Some great deals to be had on these right now and I am in full ponder mode. I really don't need to be looking at a driver right now as I love mine but the Classic has always peaked my interest.

I still don't know why you didn't get that one in the first place, War Eagle!

I'm still a Classic fan. Finally I have a swing going that makes the ball go straight or left. I'll take left for a miss any day. Hit a few today that were pretty far for me as well, but got some help when I missed dead center.

I think I need to cut that shaft down on this. I'm just not seeing as much consistency out of the classic as I am the J40.

Back