Ping Anser Driver Review - Forum Testing

87D7D891-CB9A-4DF3-93BF-3316E35AE180-10947-00000E38EFD42DB2_zpsad56820b.jpg

Dude! The perfect hit!!!

Against my better judgement I went out and played 9 holes Saturday with the Anser. I was hoping to continue the solid performance that I had experienced just 24 hours prior to. This was going to be difficult to duplicate as according to the pro shop the wind gusts were between 35 and 40 mph. In hindsight it might have been a good time to try the lower loft at 9* to help fight the wind, but I stuck with what worked the day before.

All in all I only hit 2 fairways, but the swind stopped me from having at least 1 more so I cant be too mad. I didnt feel as thought I was swinging the club as well as the day before and my contact on the clu face was lower center than usual. Not sure if I was teeing it up too low or what but there was just no consistency with that which lead to inconsistent shots.

Going forwrd if Im in those conditions again, I will certainly try the 9* loft as the wind kicked my butt and I need all of the help I can get.

That wind was definitely crazy man. I wonder if your confidence and swing was a bit modified in order to get under the wind.

Nice updates Mike and Grant. You guys are doing better then me right now. I hit this well on the range as well as my irons too. I was ready to lay a hurtin on Buckjob and then the snap hookers came back. I fought it all day long and at the turn I even gave up on hitting the Anser. That didnt help me much either as I was hitting everything in my bag left. I was so frustrated I went with PGA Pro Buckjob to the range to work things out afterwards. I was striping everything. He even laughed at me because he saw how bad things went during our round. Its all tempo and timing. I was getting quick on the course, not finishing my backswing, not taking the club back correctly and that was causing the hooks. On the range I was hitting bombs again. I did seem to be losing my ball to the right a lot though. Starting to wonder if I should have gone stiff flex with the TFC now. Good thing was I left feeling better because I did like how things went during the round.

The snappers are the worst man, hate to hear you're dealing with that. If your small misses when you're actually hitting it well are to the right, are you able to adjust the ANSER to compensate for it at all?

That wind was definitely crazy man. I wonder if your confidence and swing was a bit modified in order to get under the wind.

I think so somewhat, I felt as if I was almost punching at the ball rather than the full smoother swing of just a day before that.

Ping Anser 9.5* + Position (10*)
Fujikura Blur Stiff Shaft
Missouri Bluffs Golf Club
Temp 70*
Winds 20-25 MPH

I took the Anser out for my first full round with it after a solid range session and the results were definitely mixed. I teed the ball up using the Champ Stinger tees and teed it up to the bottom of the top line every time. I paid special attention to tee height with all the discussion here. This is just a bit higher than I normally tee the ball too.

Accuracy:
I hit 7/12 FIR, which is about the same percentage I usually see with my Titleist 910 D2 and even my TM SuperTri before that. I had 2 awful misses off the tee (low hard hooks) that resulted in lost balls and penalty strokes. I know my stroke was too quick for me, but i don't usually see that poor of shots using a similar swing with my 910. The other 3 misses were about 5-10 yards off the fairway and didn't really cost me too badly. These 3 were livable misses in my opinion. All my misses were on the left side of the fairway which was a big improvement for me. I was fighting a 2 way miss in my very first round with it and even at the range.

Distance:
Distances were mixed as well. The best shot I had was hit dead on the screws (see below for impact pic) and flew high and just seemed to pierce through all the cross winds. This is about the farthest I hit my 910 and ST on a similar elevation/wind combination. The majority of the other drives in the Fairway or close to the fairway were pretty close to my normal distance. It seemed like the toe misses flew like I expected them to, but the heel misses were definitely shorter than heel misses with my other driver. The average ball flight was probably a bit lower than the flight I see with my 910.

87D7D891-CB9A-4DF3-93BF-3316E35AE180-10947-00000E38EFD42DB2_zpsad56820b.jpg

Misc:
The sound definitely varies a good deal based on where you make impact. My best drive of the day had a solid sound to it, but the sound and level of 'Pinginess' varied a good deal. The toe and heel shots seem to be more high pitched to me with shots low on the face sound deeper. I even got a few comments on my misses, like "oh man I could tell that didn't sound good."

I will disagree with some of the other testers on the stock grip. I think its awful and will probably swap it out this week. It just feels too harsh to me and I'm not sure why it needs to be. I do like that it will look the same regardless of the position of the face. FWIW, I play the NDMC in my other long clubs so its not like I am coming from a soft Winn or something.

Looks / Durability:
I LOVE, LOVE the matte black finish. It is the first thing other people notice when they pick it up and its probably my favorite part of the club. I hope matte black is the new trend in drivers. I am not a fan of the large crown logo, but I can live with it. I do prefer a logo over no logo on the crown, but its just too big in my opinion.

The face is really holding up well and does not show the permanent face marks like my 910. I love how you can see the impact spot on each drive and they can just be wiped away before the next shot. The sole is holding up well too. I don't see any of the surface level scratches I saw with my SuperTri and I didn't get any dirt/mud in the little grooves on the sole during the entire round.

CC1DF23B-A30E-46AB-B551-EBA0959DB923-8407-00000BD6BD04DD4E_zpsaa06037f.jpg

1BE099B7-F2FD-4F46-9EAF-E0277431E507-2493-000000F9BF1F4358_zps2ef207bf.jpg

Head cover:
I really like the simplicity of the black leather head cover. It comes off easy enough and is easy to put back on. I like the basic sock nature and glad they don't have magnets, zippers, or any gimmicks. The sock portion is holding up well too, with very little extra stretching on the entry point.

Real good review ddxu I'm liking the comparison to the 910 since that's what I'm gaming. Nice picture of the ball tattooing the club face. So far the Anser seems distance wise to be very similar to the 910 . Thanks for your review.

Nice updates Mike and Grant. You guys are doing better then me right now. I hit this well on the range as well as my irons too. I was ready to lay a hurtin on Buckjob and then the snap hookers came back. I fought it all day long and at the turn I even gave up on hitting the Anser. That didnt help me much either as I was hitting everything in my bag left. I was so frustrated I went with PGA Pro Buckjob to the range to work things out afterwards. I was striping everything. He even laughed at me because he saw how bad things went during our round. Its all tempo and timing. I was getting quick on the course, not finishing my backswing, not taking the club back correctly and that was causing the hooks. On the range I was hitting bombs again. I did seem to be losing my ball to the right a lot though. Starting to wonder if I should have gone stiff flex with the TFC now. Good thing was I left feeling better because I did like how things went during the round.

Kmac I can see that playing with Buck would get you out of sync on the course.
I know I'd probably step up to the ball and try to swing out of my shoes to keep up with Buck.
It's cool that you got out on the range with Buck and figured out the tempo timing issue. Take that to the course next time bro.

Is it just me or are all the testers seeming to find the center of the face quite a bit???

I can't find that sweet spot that often!!! WTG all, sounds like the Anser is a great club, I loved the feel at the DM stop, I'm hoping to demo one once our pro shop get's some in.

Sorry for the late skim, how much adjusting have you all done? I seem to adjust my 910 at least every other week or so. I'm curious if you find yourself doing that with the Anser?

Is it just me or are all the testers seeming to find the center of the face quite a bit???

I can't find that sweet spot that often!!! WTG all, sounds like the Anser is a great club, I loved the feel at the DM stop, I'm hoping to demo one once our pro shop get's some in.

Sorry for the late skim, how much adjusting have you all done? I seem to adjust my 910 at least every other week or so. I'm curious if you find yourself doing that with the Anser?

I messed around with it the other day at the range. Since I have to shafts, I came out with two results. I like the 'Ahina with the neutral setup and the TFC with a 10* closed setup.

Last edited:

its gotta be the club cause Im certain I havent hit the center that much before.

As far as adjusting, Ive only went from 9.5 to the 10* so that it would close the face a bit and help on my tendancy to have balls leak out to the right.

Once I get my swing more consistent, I'll go back to Neutral more than likely and maybe on occasion go down to 9*

Just wanted to drop in here and say that you guys are doing a great job with this testing. Haven't had a chance to spend any time with this at the store yet. Would love to hit some of the different shaft options. Agreed that it seems you are all making solid contact with this stick. Seems like you're all getting it figured out.

Grant, sounds like the 'Ahina is the way to go. Interested to see your LM numbers.

Kmac, hope you're able to get a stouter shaft in there man. Hopefully you'll be able to carry that range work over to the course. I know that's something that I struggle with, especially with the driver, myself. I have to back off sometimes when playing and do a mental reset to get back on track.

i am also hitting the sweet spot more often with the anser, even my playing partners are saying i am driving the ball better than ever with hte new anser, just a shame i can`t get the rest of my game to work:banghead:

Just wanted to drop in here and say that you guys are doing a great job with this testing. Haven't had a chance to spend any time with this at the store yet. Would love to hit some of the different shaft options. Agreed that it seems you are all making solid contact with this stick. Seems like you're all getting it figured out.

Grant, sounds like the 'Ahina is the way to go. Interested to see your LM numbers.

Kmac, hope you're able to get a stouter shaft in there man. Hopefully you'll be able to carry that range work over to the course. I know that's something that I struggle with, especially with the driver, myself. I have to back off sometimes when playing and do a mental reset to get back on track.

Thanks Jon. Its been an odd golf season for me. First I played better on course and really struggled bad on the range. So much so that I just didnt want to go. Now Im getting some things worked out on the range and seeing it slowly come to the course. Till yesterday when I regressed for a round. Not totally sure I need a stiffer shaft but I think it might help. Going to keep working with this one and see what happens.

just caught up on the thread wanted to catch up after hitting Kmacs Answer yesterday. i really did like the driver. it reminded me a lot of the i20 but improved. i thought the i20 was lacking a little distance but was very accurate and consistent for me. And I LOVED the look of the matte black finish. its one of the reasons i love my i20 hybo. it really was amazing how Kmac was CRUSHING that club on the range after wards. he was even getting great distance on the course although he was losing it left a little bit. Then when he was making good swings on the range he lost most of them to the right a little bit. wish he had a stiff flex so i could take some good swings on that thing on the range again. but it is a great feeling driver.

I really like how the testers are loving the black face and that the finish holds up and cleans up so well. One of the things I miss the most with my Classic is being able to clearly see the impact spot.

Chipped via Tapatalk 2

Just got caught up on this thread, was really impressed with everyone's videos and thoughts on the driver. It looks incredible, those stock pictures aren't that far off! Also, it's exciting to hear that it holds the black finish. Loving what I am hearing about the shaft selection as well. PING really did their homework on this club. Looking forward to hitting one soon!

just caught up on the thread wanted to catch up after hitting Kmacs Answer yesterday. i really did like the driver. it reminded me a lot of the i20 but improved. i thought the i20 was lacking a little distance but was very accurate and consistent for me. And I LOVED the look of the matte black finish. its one of the reasons i love my i20 hybo. it really was amazing how Kmac was CRUSHING that club on the range after wards. he was even getting great distance on the course although he was losing it left a little bit. Then when he was making good swings on the range he lost most of them to the right a little bit. wish he had a stiff flex so i could take some good swings on that thing on the range again. but it is a great feeling driver.

you gotta find yourself the stiff flex and give it a shot, a huge injustice if you dont try it out

Thanks guys, glad you guys are finding the reviews helpful.

I have not messed with the adjustability yet. I wanted to give it a few weeks with the setup I was fit to to get a baseline on performance first. I plan on messing around with it here in the next week or so.

I scheduled my time on the launch monitor next Friday. I am excited to get some concrete numbers down and go with the shaft that best fits me.

I scheduled my time on the launch monitor next Friday. I am excited to get some concrete numbers down and go with the shaft that best fits me.

thats good, looking forward to seeing how they matchup against each other

This will be interesting to see if or how much different these shafts really show themselfs to be.

Thanks guys, glad you guys are finding the reviews helpful.

I have not messed with the adjustability yet. I wanted to give it a few weeks with the setup I was fit to to get a baseline on performance first. I plan on messing around with it here in the next week or so.

Can't wait to see what you find out, when I first had an adjustable R9 I didn't touch it much at all, now I'm almost addicted to adjustability. I don't know what I'd do if my driver didn't have it!! It's certainly a crutch for me, but it certainly helps my mental approach.

thats good, looking forward to seeing how they matchup against each other

This will be interesting to see if or how much different these shafts really show themselfs to be.

Can't wait to see what you find out, when I first had an adjustable R9 I didn't touch it much at all, now I'm almost addicted to adjustability. I don't know what I'd do if my driver didn't have it!! It's certainly a crutch for me, but it certainly helps my mental approach.

I am excited to see the results. I talked to my pro about it last night and he said it would be good for me. I told him about what I was seeing on the course and what I hope for out of a ball flight. I am going to take my gamer balls with me too, so I can get the best results.

I am excited to see the results. I talked to my pro about it last night and he said it would be good for me. I told him about what I was seeing on the course and what I hope for out of a ball flight. I am going to take my gamer balls with me too, so I can get the best results.

I just bought a sleeve of balls when I had my fitting. They marked them up with Sharpie lines to get the best results, so you may want to take a sharpie just in case too. I think seeing the numbers will help your mental side and trusting what its your hands too.

I just bought a sleeve of balls when I had my fitting. They marked them up with Sharpie lines to get the best results, so you may want to take a sharpie just in case too. I think seeing the numbers will help your mental side and trusting what its your hands too.

Yeah man. I have some ideas in my head of what they will be close to, but I might be surprised.

I never thought to take my own balls to the fitting, can't remember for the life of me what I was hitting, was probably a maxfli

I never thought to take my own balls to the fitting, can't remember for the life of me what I was hitting, was probably a maxfli

Using you own balls is a big factor. Each ball had different spin capabilities and characteristics. That can change things a lot.

Using you own balls is a big factor. Each ball had different spin capabilities and characteristics. That can change things a lot.

something so obvious and I totally missed it, so caught up in having the driver lol.

After a few months with this thing I might go back in and have another fitting done with the different shafts and see if things changed at all, and ths wime I will be sure to take my own balls

Back