Miyazaki B. Asha Review - Forum Testing

Great stuff Jman! I look forward to your thoughts with the Razr Fit as I'm pondering a new shaft with that driver.

Being that this thread is open, I think it's great opportunity for me to set up my journey and offer a little back story on my experience with shafts as well as the B.Asha.

My Swing

Traditionally I have been a stiff shaft player. I have been utilizing the TP shaft variations from TM over the last couple of golf seasons, most recently with the Matrix Ozik HD6. This shaft (along with most traditional stiff shafts) offers a high ball flight, most of the time climbing dramatically and then losing steam and falling to the ground. The end result is a bit of backspin upon landing, especially when the ground is wet.

Getting on a launch monitor earlier in the year, it was noted that my ball spin was well over what it should be, along with my launch angle and angle of descent. More often than not I hear people tell me to lower my driver head degree from a 9.5 to an 8.5, but I believe a shaft can do an excellent job of reducing the spin without forcing me to drop degrees. As it stands, my swing ranges from about 108mph to 112mph. I produce quite a bit of lag during my swing as well.

The Kusala

I attended the THP Tour Van Stop in Atlanta GA a couple of weeks ago. Upon arriving I found myself in a PGA superstore hitting the Cleveland Classic 310 driver with the Kusala Black 61x (flex code 5689) in it, and absolutely loving it. Tight dispersion, lower than average launch angle, and ample distance (280-290 in the sim). This shaft was eye opening for me. While I had hit traditional stiff shafts, I had never experienced anything quite like the Kusala. Being that that the flex gets stronger as the shaft gets closer to the head, I still felt like I was not dealing with harsh contact, especially on my mishits. I knew Miyazaki had something special on their hands right then and there.

The B.Asha

The following morning brought on the demo portion of the weekend. The B.Asha was something I had been following along with for some time and immediately started searching for it upon arriving at the range. The unique design made it very easy to spot and I definitely took a minute to really look at all the beautiful artwork, which I think is an awesome and unique thing about Miyazaki shafts in general. I spent a great deal of time with the B.Asha 5x in a 9.5* Callaway Razr Fit head. I fell in love instantly, and as I continued to build more and more confidence, my swing speed increased and I really began stepping on drives. The 5x stood tall the entire way through.

After 30-40 balls I decided to check out the 7x head, and it surprisingly wasn't for me. It caused some interesting nuances in my ball flight, and I lost a fair bit of yardage as compared to the 5x. Chatting with a couple THP members on the range, we agreed that the 5x was by far the best option for me, and I immediately returned to it. This really impressed me. While I didn't spend any time with the 4x, I was blown away at how customized these shafts are. I believe there is a 'right fit' Miyazaki for everyone, and was very excited to have found mine.

On Course

I had the great opportunity of taking the 5x+Razr Fit 9.5 combo on course for the two rounds of golf I played that weekend. The ball definitely gets up in a hurry for me, but it seems to hang for quite some time until it loses steam. No question the spin rate and height have been reduced from what my normal on course drives looked like, and I hope to bring more definitive numbers on that later in my testing. Misses with that combo were out on the toe, which caused anything from a small draw to a sweeping draw. Having hit 100s of golf balls on the range, it was obvious which shots I was not putting enough energy into, and which shots I was really giving the B.Asha a chance to adequately load. Sunday's round proved that, and I found myself generating excellent connection with only baby draws.

I think one of the more stunning features about the B.Asha is the smooth (for lack of a better word) loading on the downswing. I really enjoyed going after the golf ball, and again, where most traditional shafts would falter, the B.Asha stood up to the task and gave absolutely no harsh side effects.

The most memorable experience with the B.Asha leaving the Tour Van Stop was on the final hole of the weekend (right before I had to say goodbye to it). On the 18th tee, I opted to hit two golf balls to see the variable in dispersion on course. Both were GPSed At just a shade under 290 yards, and they were literally within two feet of each other. I was stunned at the accuracy/consistency.

Testing Preparation

I have acquired a Cleveland Classic 310 with the Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x shaft. Initial intentions were to spend about a week with the black to get a good idea of the nuances so I could compare my experiences directly, but I believe my success over the last couple of rounds justifies the acquisition of another 310 which I hope to do very soon. They will both be 9.5 degree heads and will feature identical lengths with Lamkin 3GEN REL grips (three wraps). I hope to share side by side comparisons along with overall feedback on the B.Asha individually, and am extremely excited to see which combination is deemed best for me.

In addition, I would love to take any initial feedback questions or key notes to keep an eye on during my testing. While I hope I can offer a unique look at the shaft, I would love to be able to help anyone not able to hit this shaft get an idea of certain nuances.

I want to take a moment to thank THP for entrusting me with this great testing honour, as well as the great innovators at Miyazaki for not only producing some of the best looking and most effective shafts on the market, but allowing myself as a humble THPer to test one. I cannot wait to get started with the B.Asha in a 310 head.

Last edited:
Well done Dan. Enjoy your testing and the opportunity. Look forward to hearing your thoughts

Great stuff Canadan. I'll get to an initial write-up soon, but I'll probably wait until the shaft gets in and include it with my thoughts/pictures. I won't have as much to say as you seeing as I've never hit the B. Asha before like you have. I am surprised, however, that the 5x was radically different than the 7x for you because they have the same flex code. I'm glad you've found a shaft that really works for you though!

Jman, I'll be real interested to see how the 4x works out for you. If I do go with the B. Asha it will be the 4 series. I've always played stiff as well but after seeing the International Flex Code numbers the other day in a different B. Asha thread I started thinking maybe the 4x would be better than the 4s. After a couple replies back and forth with JB I concluded I may have gotten a little carried away and was maybe a little thrown off by the numbers. I really like the International Flex Code but I think I think I need to fully educate myself more and this thread will really help. Interesting how you, me and Dam all saw the 4 series Flex Code numbers and all thought the same thing that we could go form stiff to x-stiff. Ultimately I think I'll end up with a stiff shaft (4s being the front runner) but I'll be following you and Dam real close to see how you guys do going up in flex.

It'll be interesting. I should preface by saying I actually have played X flex in my drivers off and on in my shaft tinkering through the years so its not a totally new world, but, one companies X is another ones S or even XX. We shall see!

Nice writeup Dan!!!! I like it dude, I can't wait to hear your thoughts of the shaft in the 310 head!

Great review Dan! I really liked how you mentioned you believe there is a 'right fit' Miyazaki for everyone. At this point I don't see how I wind up with a shaft that isn't a B. Asha or Kusala in my driver for next season. Really look forward to hearing your results throughout the testing.

Those are some sick pictures Jman. Nice start and initial thoughts.

Great stuff Canadan. I'll get to an initial write-up soon, but I'll probably wait until the shaft gets in and include it with my thoughts/pictures. I won't have as much to say as you seeing as I've never hit the B. Asha before like you have. I am surprised, however, that the 5x was radically different than the 7x for you because they have the same flex code. I'm glad you've found a shaft that really works for you though!

Thanks Dam. I was pretty floored by it. I've really only started getting into the variables in shafts this year as I believe they can play a huge part in the success of a golf game, so being able to hit the 5x and 7x and quickly see the difference was mind boggling. The added weight really did make that much of a difference though.

Nice writeup Dan!!!! I like it dude, I can't wait to hear your thoughts of the shaft in the 310 head!

Much appreciated Jman. You put together a real nice starting point on page one!! I am extremely excited to get it into a 310. I think the combination was meant to be.

Great review Dan! I really liked how you mentioned you believe there is a 'right fit' Miyazaki for everyone. At this point I don't see how I wind up with a shaft that isn't a B. Asha or Kusala in my driver for next season. Really look forward to hearing your results throughout the testing.

I mentioned it and I mean it. Having the tour van stop was pivotal in that experience and I am extremely grateful for it. I think it's great you're looking directly at Miyazaki and I hope I can offer some solid feedback for you!

It'll be interesting. I should preface by saying I actually have played X flex in my drivers off and on in my shaft tinkering through the years so its not a totally new world, but, one companies X is another ones S or even XX. We shall see!

Thanks for the response Jman. We differ in that I always thought that stiff was the right fit for me and never thought otherwise. However, once I saw the flex code on the 4x I went into ponder mode for the first time about x-stiff. Just curious, what's your SS? I know that's not the only factor that goes into a shaft but was just trying to get an idea of how your swing compares to mine. Thanks Jman.

great start to this so far! Really looking forward to everyone's insight on these shafts. Got this one subscribed to!

Great pics jman and great writeup dan, looking forward to seeing how this shapes out long term

Great photos Jman. Really like the look of that shaft.

Canadan, looking forward to seeing your thoughts on the B Asha in the Classic. I'm also still surprised how much better you liked the 5x than the 7x with your swing speed. Both shafts have the same flex code, correct? It's amazing that the weight difference had that much of an effect.

Without knowing much about either shaft, I really preferred the 7x. I didn't get that many swings, though. Maybe 6 with each. Very interested to see how the testers like the 5 series in the Classic. I think a 5s and 5x are in play for this testing, both with some bigger hitters. Should be fun.

What is the flex code of the kusala Black x 61 you
have in your current driver?

Great photos Jman. Really like the look of that shaft.

Canadan, looking forward to seeing your thoughts on the B Asha in the Classic. I'm also still surprised how much better you liked the 5x than the 7x with your swing speed. Both shafts have the same flex code, correct? It's amazing that the weight difference had that much of an effect.

Without knowing much about either shaft, I really preferred the 7x. I didn't get that many swings, though. Maybe 6 with each. Very interested to see how the testers like the 5 series in the Classic. I think a 5s and 5x are in play for this testing, both with some bigger hitters. Should be fun.

I think it factors in two ways.

1 - The 5x at 64 grams is only two grams lighter than the HD6 I have been playing. I imagine the similarities worked better for my timing.
2 - The lighter of the two shafts could have shown increased speed coming through the ball. At my swing speed, I'm often considered a 'tweener' by demo day guys who insist on me hitting S over X. This is one of the first X shafts I've hit that have more feedback than rebar, which i think is fascinating.

It was definitely eye opening for me. I can't wait to get it into a 310 head.

7854 vs. 5689, things that make you go hmm!
Do you tend to like a stiffer tip or butt?

7854 vs. 5689, things that make you go hmm!
Do you tend to like a stiffer tip or butt?

The 5x is 7785. I am not certain what I like more yet. That may be why I am so excited to put these side by side!!

Great start fellas!

Jman those pics are just awesome. I cannot wait till next weekend when I can give this shaft a go!

Dan, I enjoyed the write up and how you will be putting both shafts side by side in the same head. Should be great to follow along.

I can't wait for everybody to get their shafts and start their testing. I will be following very closely as I am thinking this will be in play for me when they are finally released.

Seriously. Tappin'.

Did any of you testers get the 5S? I know Jman and Dan did not but what about the others, Also any low ball hitters that want a higher ball flight? This is what I am always looking for.

Did any of you testers get the 5S? I know Jman and Dan did not but what about the others, Also any low ball hitters that want a higher ball flight? This is what I am always looking for.
Raises hand. I went with a 5S too. But Im not a low ball hitter at all. I'll be looking to keep my flight down if anything.

I want to go Miyazaki in my driver.....I may ask JB to help me out with that in Ohio....

Jman, I'll be real interested to see how the 4x works out for you. If I do go with the B. Asha it will be the 4 series. I've always played stiff as well but after seeing the International Flex Code numbers the other day in a different B. Asha thread I started thinking maybe the 4x would be better than the 4s. After a couple replies back and forth with JB I concluded I may have gotten a little carried away and was maybe a little thrown off by the numbers. I really like the International Flex Code but I think I think I need to fully educate myself more and this thread will really help. Interesting how you, me and Dam all saw the 4 series Flex Code numbers and all thought the same thing that we could go form stiff to x-stiff. Ultimately I think I'll end up with a stiff shaft (4s being the front runner) but I'll be following you and Dam real close to see how you guys do going up in flex.
Stan I hit the 4S a good bit in atlanta and I can tell you that the head does not keep up. You may want to look at the 5S. Based on your current setup, I think the %s would be up your alley.

Raises hand. I went with a 5S too. But Im not a low ball hitter at all. I'll be looking to keep my flight down if anything.

I thought the 5 was mid to high flight? I'm guessing your hitting a 9.5 head?

I thought the 5 was mid to high flight? I'm guessing your hitting a 9.5 head?

Yeah it will be in a 9.5* head. Not sure on the launch. Is there any info out there yet?

Back