KBS Tour 90 Shafts Review - Forum Testing

These reviews are outstanding! I'm contemplating going to something lighter in my irons. I've played KBS Tours for about 3 years now, and have had very good success with them, but I am a low ball hitter, and have a slowish swing speed. I have a very smooth transition, and almost never try to step on a shot. I've wanted to try these for a while now, but Mizuno doesn't offer them, and buying them on the secondary market is pretty expensive. Might have to bite the bullet and give these a shot.

You sound like a perfect candidate for these. The smooth transition is key, and in the right flex, these would raise your ball flight and most likely give you a touch more distance. All with the nice, smooth KBS feel.

With my KBS Tours, I'm in a Stiff, soft-stepped once. My fitter seems to think that I should now be in a Regular, hard-stepped once. But I've heard that the 90s play a little softer to flex, so probably stiff.

With my KBS Tours, I'm in a Stiff, soft-stepped once. My fitter seems to think that I should now be in a Regular, hard-stepped once. But I've heard that the 90s play a little softer to flex, so probably stiff.

The 90s do indeed play softer than their corresponding flex in the Tours. So the Stiff KBS 90 will play similar to a Regular or Reg+ KBS Tour.

You could hard step a set of Regulars...

What it really comes down to for me is feel. I can achieve a higher ball flight and more carry distance with a Dynalite Gold XP, and to be honest they are probably better for my game than the KBS Tours. But I just love the way the KBS Tours feel so much more, so I've stuck with them. Maybe I'll look around and see if I can find a used set to try out, but they seem to be few and far between!

What it really comes down to for me is feel. I can achieve a higher ball flight and more carry distance with a Dynalite Gold XP, and to be honest they are probably better for my game than the KBS Tours. But I just love the way the KBS Tours feel so much more, so I've stuck with them. Maybe I'll look around and see if I can find a used set to try out, but they seem to be few and far between!
I sent you a Private Message. Check it out and get back with me.

Well well,

Looks like due to the CRAZY awesome generosity of one of the members here, I'll get to try out the KBS Tour 90's sooner than expected! As soon as I get them, I'll get em gripped and installed. Full write-up to come!

Well,

Received the shafts, KBS Tour 90 5-SW in Stiff. I will be putting them in these clubs:

MP-53 5 iron
MP-58 6 & 7 iron (I lost my MP53 6&7 on a golf trip, no idea how)
MP-63 8-PW
Vokey SM 50* & 54*

Hopefully my clubfitter has time to get to them today, if not it will be next week before I can test them out. I will come back with initial thoughts as soon as I get a chance to hit these bad boys!!!

Can't wait to hear your thoughts! And cool on a fellow THPer to do that for you! I think you'll really like them. Just remember...smooth tempo.

Well,

Received the shafts, KBS Tour 90 5-SW in Stiff. I will be putting them in these clubs:

MP-53 5 iron
MP-58 6 & 7 iron (I lost my MP53 6&7 on a golf trip, no idea how)
MP-63 8-PW
Vokey SM 50* & 54*

Hopefully my clubfitter has time to get to them today, if not it will be next week before I can test them out. I will come back with initial thoughts as soon as I get a chance to hit these bad boys!!!
Looking forward to hearing how these work out for you!

He did 8-9-p-50, I'll do the other half next week, but I'm stoked to hit some balls with these...

First thoughts are very mixed. I hit some shots that I've never hit before with my irons (145 yd 9 iron!), but at the same time hit some shots that had me shaking my head after. Started getting a feel for them towards the end of my session, after a very rocky start, gonna take some getting used to, but excited for my first round with them tomorrow!

First thoughts are very mixed. I hit some shots that I've never hit before with my irons (145 yd 9 iron!), but at the same time hit some shots that had me shaking my head after. Started getting a feel for them towards the end of my session, after a very rocky start, gonna take some getting used to, but excited for my first round with them tomorrow!
How was your ball flight?

Did you feel that your swing tempo was a bit different?

My first two sessions with the 90s were shakey but then trasformed my game

My first two sessions with the 90s were shakey but then trasformed my game
Same here, it was an adjustment, almost as if it were a swing change...

Once I got my timing and tempo down with them, and remember to stay smooth and widen my stance a bit, these shafts worked wonders for me.

Wow! I saw a distance gain in my clubs as well! Did you like the higher ball flight and the lighter weight shafts?

How was your ball flight?

Did you feel that your swing tempo was a bit different?

Definitely a bit different. Seemed like I was hitting everything on the toe at first, and my tempo was a little bit more jerky than normal. But once I got my rhythm down somewhat, I was hitting the ball a good bit higher than normal, I was carrying the ball a bit further than normal, but was seeing my normal rollout, which is what made the difference in distance I think. I'm not looking for crazy distance gains, I just want to carry the ball further and have the ball land softly on the green. My home club has small turtleback greens, so that's important for my game, as its hard to judge when your ball lands short and has to climb the hill up to the green. It's gonna take some time, I don't hate the feel, but I don't like it as much as the regular Tours so far. That could be me hitting it on the toe though.

Played my first round with them this weekend. I got dead sick half way through, so the results are not very good. I spent Sunday trying to recover, and today so far in the doctor's office. I shot 82, but it was ugly. My iron play wasn't too bad though, although I did hit a few I wish I had back...I'll get back out this week I hope and will post more thoughts then...

Not quite sure how these are compared to the TM KBS 90s but I will say this that even while I am looking for that little extra these feel nice. I get the ball up high with good cary. About the same distance but a little more spin and cary. I can honestly say these shafts with my R11s I can finally get a 4 iron up and gone.

Played my first round with them this weekend. I got dead sick half way through, so the results are not very good. I spent Sunday trying to recover, and today so far in the doctor's office. I shot 82, but it was ugly. My iron play wasn't too bad though, although I did hit a few I wish I had back...I'll get back out this week I hope and will post more thoughts then...

Keep at it jmccain, once you get used to these shafts they work incredibly well.

Not quite sure how these are compared to the TM KBS 90s but I will say this that even while I am looking for that little extra these feel nice. I get the ball up high with good cary. About the same distance but a little more spin and cary. I can honestly say these shafts with my R11s I can finally get a 4 iron up and gone.

I believe that the TM KBS 90s in the R11s and the Tour 90s have very little separating them. Great to hear that these lightweight shafts have helped your game.

The Tour90s feel more stout than the 90s in the TM. The 90s can hold their own but the tour 90s have the feel characteristics of a heavier shaft.

Hit about 50 balls this afternoon after work. I hit the first 25 pretty well, hitting most shots high and a little longer than normal with good spin.

The next 25 I hit playing target golf. I set up 6 balls at 110, 125, 135, and 145 for shots with 50*, PW, 9, and 8, respectively.

here are the stats

110- 6/6 greens hit, 4 inside 15 feet
125- 5/6 greens hit, 4 inside 15 feet, pulled one over the left side of the green.
135- 5/6 greens hit, 3 inside 15 feet, all within 25, pushed one right of pin high.
145- 4/6 greens hit, all 4 inside 15 feet, two hit the back of the green and rolled off.

awesome results so far, feel like I am really getting a rhythm down for optimum results. Will update when I get another round in!

Hit about 50 balls this afternoon after work. I hit the first 25 pretty well, hitting most shots high and a little longer than normal with good spin.

The next 25 I hit playing target golf. I set up 6 balls at 110, 125, 135, and 145 for shots with 50*, PW, 9, and 8, respectively.

here are the stats

125- 5/6 greens hit, 4 inside 15 feet, pulled one over the left side of the green.
135- 5/6 greens hit, 3 inside 15 feet, all within 25, pushed one right of pin high.
145- 4/6 greens hit, all 4 inside 15 feet, two hit the back of the green and rolled off.

awesome results so far, feel like I am really getting a rhythm down for optimum results. Will update when I get another round in!
I would say those results are quite impressive! Nice dude! Im pretty pumped that these are working out well for you, shaft changes in irons can be tough sometimes, but I think with these and an even tempo to smooth out the swing a bit, they will do you well!

here are the stats

Wow that's some solid ball striking right there, can't be too upset with that

I'll try to get a swing video up at some point in the next few rounds, give an idea of what my swing looks like. I'm seeing about a half club gain in distance without having to go after it, which is nice.​

Back