The Official Banter Away Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That looks cozy dude. Few more weeks and it'll be fire season here as well.

Redneck TV.

looks nice Nate. if i had space outside, i'd definitely have a firepit. but since i don't, i have a pellet stove. hehe.

I love our fire pit outside by the lake. We had our neighbors over, had quite a few beers, such a great time. We have our wood stove inside to warm the main floor of the house...it isn't that cold tonight, but a few nights ago we had to fire it up to keep the chill out of the house. I love that I have a guy in my life who can split wood with an axe. :alien:

I need some opinions, so I'll present the scenario for you. Wife and I went out to a new sushi place tonight since she had a meeting in the early evening very close to that restaurant, and she had heard good things about it. To make a long story short, the food was pretty good (albeit a little overpriced, but that's Boston for you), but the amount of time that it took for the food to come out was brutally slow. The waitress, to her credit, apologized multiple times to us for the wait, and at the end of the meal, she offered us dessert on the house, which we took her up on. When it came time to pay the bill, I was trying to figure out what I should leave as the tip. Normally, I tip based on the service of the waitress, and in this case, I thought she did a pretty good job. However, I was a bit upset with the kitchen and how long it took for our food to come out. I ended up leaving my normal tip (~20%) for the waitress because she wasn't the problem, but I'm wondering how I should have handled the kitchen issue. I guess some people would have tipped less, but I didn't feel that was fair to the waitress. Thoughts?

tip the waitress the same, but make sure you tell the waitress, the person at the front desk, and possibly a manager. you pay extra to get good food, not to wait.

I need some opinions, so I'll present the scenario for you. Wife and I went out to a new sushi place tonight since she had a meeting in the early evening very close to that restaurant, and she had heard good things about it. To make a long story short, the food was pretty good (albeit a little overpriced, but that's Boston for you), but the amount of time that it took for the food to come out was brutally slow. The waitress, to her credit, apologized multiple times to us for the wait, and at the end of the meal, she offered us dessert on the house, which we took her up on. When it came time to pay the bill, I was trying to figure out what I should leave as the tip. Normally, I tip based on the service of the waitress, and in this case, I thought she did a pretty good job. However, I was a bit upset with the kitchen and how long it took for our food to come out. I ended up leaving my normal tip (~20%) for the waitress because she wasn't the problem, but I'm wondering how I should have handled the kitchen issue. I guess some people would have tipped less, but I didn't feel that was fair to the waitress. Thoughts?

You did the right thing. I'm 20% or more unless the server is a complete ass. If there's a food problem that's management and/or kitchen. If the server keeps you informed and answers questions or gives you management if needed, he/she is doing his/her job.

Kevin

I think you did the right thing. The waitress seemed hospitable and accommodating, and that is who the tip goes to. I would have asked for the manager and talked to him/her about the food being delayed.

wow man that's great, we're barely in the 70s lol, snow in the mountains yet?

lucky.. it's hardly in the 60's up here.. i'm freezing. no me gusta el frio.

Ary, since she was courteous enough to keep a check on your table and apologize, I would let it slide as you did.

A waitress like that can make a bad experience more palatable.

I think you did the right thing, doc. It wasn't her fault.

As a former restaurant elmployee and server (I used to work at a local restaurant before college) I can tell you that most places that have servers/waiters/waitresses pay them about $2-3 and hour because their tips make up the rest of the "minimum wage" while the rest of the crew-the kitchen staff, hosts etc-got full pay. Even if the server doesn't make as much as expected in tips, they are required by law to report their earnings and if a person does not make the expected-let's say 15%-they won't be compensated for them lol my point is you did the right thing, it wasn't her fault, it was the kitchen staff's fault and I would call the manager tomorrow or something lol

I think u did the right thing ary, to voice displeasure with the food or wait it would be manager time

This is where I tip with cash, instead of on the card. Let her know that the tip was for her service, and then let the manager or whoever is at the front that there was a service problem that didnt involve the waitress.

This poor kid in Freaks and Geeks just got brutally delegated to the "Friend Zone." This show is pretty awesome.

Kevin

If I could give Smallville Rep for his avatar I would lol

It sounds like she did what she cold under the circumstance. You did the right thing. I hope you informed the manager.

As a restaurant manager, I would say you did 100% the right thing. It was not the servers fault, and you understood that. BUT----

You shouldve told the server that she was absolutely great, but kindly asked for the manager, also reassuring her that you are not speaking to him/her about her. From there the restaurant should have taken care of one or both of your meals. Any time this has happened to me and I ended up with a very small bill, I still tip 25% on the original size of the bill before compensation.

So the wife comes to me tonight and says I need to pick out my Birthday gift. She hands me the computer and its on a grill site. She says pick one. I went through at least 30 and settles on a 6 burner infrared, 900cu inch Charbroil. My last one lasted 6 years and this is a perfect gift from a loving wife. May have to have some guys over during the outing for a BBQ.

So the wife comes to me tonight and says I need to pick out my Birthday gift. She hands me the computer and its on a grill site. She says pick one. I went through at least 30 and settles on a 6 burner infrared, 900cu inch Charbroil. My last one lasted 6 years and this is a perfect gift from a loving wife. May have to have some guys over during the outing for a BBQ.

That sounds like a beauty!!!

That thing sounds like it will be amazing man, nice of your wife to do that!!

when is your birthday?

You have an awesome wife. That grill sounds like it could do some serious damage.

Thanks for all of the input. I should have spoken to one of the managers. However, we had already spent so much time there, we just wanted to go home at the end of the meal. Of course, I'm also a person that wants to avoid conflict at all times, so that also played into my decision not to make a fuss about it.

Tadashi, tell me more about this BBQ at the Outing....

Thanks for all of the input. I should have spoken to one of the managers. However, we had already spent so much time there, we just wanted to go home at the end of the meal. Of course, I'm also a person that wants to avoid conflict at all times, so that also played into my decision not to make a fuss about it.

Tadashi, tell me more about this BBQ at the Outing....

why not call the manager tomorrow morning, who knows maybe they'll offer you a free meal haha

527699_373602216049042_548161479_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back