Cleveland 588 RTX CB Wedges Review - Forum Testing

These are difficult off of tight lies if you need to open the face IMO. These hit the ball a touch higher than my other wedges though so once I get the 60 I won't need to.

I'm used to opening the face a lot though so that's probably a technique that conflicts the design.

I also caught the full swings fat today. But that'll be easy enough to deal with in time.
Hmm, I open the face up a good bit on sand shots...any issues there?

Kmac, these are two dot only. So yeah, 54/12 is it.

That's right. I wont mess with it till the 60* arrives anyway.

I'll have the 54* in my bag this weekend, I cant wait to get some shots with it. MC Pondering!

If I get Cleveland for MC2013 my bag will look like this:

Big D
3 wood
3i
5i
6i
7i
8i
9i
RTX 48
RTX 52
RTX 56
RTX 60
588 64
Putter

If I get Cleveland for MC2013 my bag will look like this:

Big D
3 wood
3i
5i
6i
7i
8i
9i
RTX 48
RTX 52
RTX 56
RTX 60
588 64
Putter

Someone's a rtx believer!

These are difficult off of tight lies if you need to open the face IMO. These hit the ball a touch higher than my other wedges though so once I get the 60 I won't need to.

I'm used to opening the face a lot though so that's probably a technique that conflicts the design.

I also caught the full swings fat today. But that'll be easy enough to deal with in time.

When I first got my 588s (also 2 dot) I thought the same thing. I will tell you that with in a week or two, the adjustment takes over and they were phenomenal. I found the 2 dot even in very tight lies to work quite well with versatility, although there was an adjustment period because that fear that with the rounded leading edge and slightly larger sole it would lead to thins.

Your thinking is similar to mine regarding the use of a 50, 51, or 52. With that said, I think we may see that with the turf interaction and forgiveness that these offer that the 52 may be able to be dialed into a consistent 105 yard club for example. I was not able to get that out of the J40's and would choke down on the PW instead but the CB in this design has me thinking about what could possibly be.

Seriously good thoughts here Cookie. That is a great point about the 50. You could even have it bent to 48 or so and skip the PW. VERY interesting thoughts bro.

Seriously good thoughts here Cookie. That is a great point about the 50. You could even have it bent to 48 or so and skip the PW. VERY interesting thoughts bro.

No need for bending as the RTX is offered in 2* increments from 46 to 60. How do you like that? :act-up:

No need for bending as the RTX is offered in 2* increments from 46 to 60. How do you like that? :act-up:

588 RTX CB Wedges
BounceBounce
LoftDotsAngleLieLengthSwingweightAvailable
46°●●64°35.5"D3RH/LH
48°●●64°35.5"D3RH/LH
50°●●64°35.375"D4RH/LH
52°●●10°64°35.375"D4RH/LH
54°●●12°64°35.25"D6RH/LH
56°●●14°64°35.25"D6RH/LH
58°●●12°64°35.125"D6RH/LH
60°●●12°64°35.125"D6RH/LH
Available Finishes: Satin Chrome and Black Pearl
Shaft: True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex
Grip: Lamkin 588
Women's 588 RTX CB Wedges
BounceBounce
LoftDotsAngleLieLengthSwingweightAvailable
48°●●64°34.625"C6RH/LH
52°●●10°64°34.5"C6RH/LH
56°●●14°64°34.25"C7RH/LH
60°●●12°64°34.125"C7RH/LH
Available Finish: Satin Chrome
Shaft: Action Ultralite 50 Women's Flex
Grip: Winn 20g

Ok so today I was able to get out and enjoy the nice 45* windy weather and put the 588 CB RTX (Raw Thain Xtreme) wedge through its first round of rigours.

Chips and Pitches

From 30-50 yards I thought this wedge performed well above expectation with possibly the most predictable set of grooves Ive ever played. Every time I tried to land the ball deep into the shot and spin it, it did. Any time I needed to land the ball shallow and let it roll, it did. This wedge is powerpacked with versatility and predictable performance in mind. After the first two shots of getting used to how fast the ball was coming off of the face, I was pretty much dialed in. I scrambled VERY well today which is not like me, and I had 3 kick-in par saves from the rough.

Chipping was an interesting animal today because it proved again how versatile these grooves are. I was able to flight the ball how I wanted with the accurate amount of spin that I wanted and it only took me a single chip shot to do it. This wedge left me with a system out there today and I followed it RELIGIOUSLY.

Back foot = no spin runner
Front foot = A checking chip shot

Sand Play Saves

So we arent going to call this the sand play section because there was no playing around today. It was all business on back to back holes and the wedge did everything I asked of it and more. My average proximity to the pin from these today was about 3.5 feet. Something that I am certainly proud of, and Cleveland Golf should be too.

Full Shot A/B

Full shot A: 90% swing
This shot was money for me today. From 100 yards, I was able to flight the ball how I wanted and needed to with the appropriate spin being expected from the chosen trajectory. Never was I disappointed.

Full shot B: 100% swing
This shot from about 115 or so gave me struggles. I hit it fat about 4 times today. Luckily I scrambled VERY well and it didnt show in my game. It just padded the stats in the putting column :)... Once I get a 52 I will stick to the 90% rule throughout the round except in extreme conditions. I am also sure that this is the indian, not the arrow, and I will figure this out in due time!

Issues

One thing I had trouble with was opening the face on tight lies. But playing it square was no issues. The ball actually gets up pretty fast for a square-played 56 and once I get the 60 I am sure it will be just fine played square or slightly open. I am used to laying the face wide open. This could be designed to prevent that specifically, and if so, great, because that gets me into trouble from time to time.

*****I did not blade a single shot today, not even a little bit. Which is tough to say for a new testing! I love the heft this wedge brings to the table and I am eager to get its brothers into the mix.

All-in-all this wedge gets an A for its current performance. Throughout MY testing this grade will fluctuate as to how I like the wedge and how it performs for me.

I have daydreams of a 46/52/58 combo. I haven't even hit one yet though, no bueno.

Youre going to love these Jman!

Also, is there anything specific people are looking for in this testing/wedge? Or does anyone have any questions? Please feel free to ask!

Nice writeup Thain! I'll have to try chipping off my front foot a little and see what happens. I generally only chip off the back.

Great recap thainer, gotta love days like this. I need to mess around with the ball position techniques u discussed, as I'm primarily off of my back foot.

If it wasn't about to be winter I doubt is resist the temptation of getting these, but I have some work to do with my short game all around that will take more than just a club to help

Youre going to love these Jman!

Also, is there anything specific people are looking for in this testing/wedge? Or does anyone have any questions? Please feel free to ask!

I totally understand what you are taking about with opening the wedge, I couldn't get comfortable with that at all, I always felt like I couldn't cut the leading edge underneath the ball and kept skulling it.

I can't wait to see how it performs in a round this weekend.

Really nice thoughts there Thainer.

Excellent write-up, Thain! I found it very interesting the way you worked the ball position. I look forward to more of your reviews.

Excellent write-up, Thain! I found it very interesting the way you worked the ball position. I look forward to more of your reviews.

Thanks guys. Canio as for the full shots, others have moved the ball back. I'm not gonna do that because it leaves me susceptible to thins and erratic face angles. I'm gonna just focus on getting my weight forward and narrowing my stance. That way none of my mechanics change.

just got back from the course. Spent a good 2 hours hitting pitches and a variety of chips. Have to go gather my thoughts and will post a write up later tonight.

Lookig forward to your thoughts ddec.

Well I had an interesting round today. I'll post my thoughts tomorrow once I get my head wrapped around a few things.

Back