SO frustrated! What can I do?

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Handicap
This is partially a venting post and partly a ask for help post, so bear with me. So far, this year has been my best golfing year ever. I shot several rounds in the 80s and got my handicap down in the 16s. Then, it all fell apart. I'm not sure what happened, but now I totally suck! I mean, I can barely break 100 on my regular course on most days now. I have tried to tweak the swing and put in more practice time, but to no avail.

Lately, when I go to the range it is unbearable. The first several balls I hit (maybe 50 or so) are all pretty decent shots. After that, I get the shanks. I'm not exaggerating here, I really get the shanks and hit everything off the hosel. Yesterday, I probably finished with about 10 shanks in a row and left in a cussing rage. I am totally at a loss for what I am doing, and I know you guys probably can't offer much help without seeing the swing. I am planning on breaking out the Optishot simulator and filming/analyzing my swing to see what is going on. I have a round with friends on a new course scheduled next weekend, and I'm totally dreading it. I'm such a headcase right now I can't imagine how its going to go.

So, I'm not sure if I'm seeking advice or just venting. But, if anyone does has any advice I'd sure be glad to hear it!

I have two suggestions.
1. Ask someone at the range to use a camera (yours) and film a couple of swings and then post it in the Ask the Pro section of the forum. Let the GolfTEC Pros come in and take a look for you.

2. It sounds like frustration is setting in. Go back to the basics and relax. If you hit a bad shot, dont sweat it, chip a couple for clean contact and then take full swings.

It is supposed to be a game and a fun one at that. If frustration is setting in so much that you do not like it, I strongly suggest reaching out to a professional. It could be as easy as one simple fix to have you back enjoying the game again.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I like JB's suggestion of filming some swings and posting them in the Ask the Pro section....I would try to film several and hope you could get a good one and a bad one to compare.

Also, you mention that your first 50 balls or so are good shots....how do you practice...are you taking your time....I ask because I used to get like that on the range and it was really a product of the "just beating balls" syndrom....I just hit balls fast and furious and wore myself out and that's why the bottom of the bucket got ugly.

Now you may say...well I hit tons more shots on the course and I dont get worn out....but you are either walking or riding to the ball and there are several minutes that go by between each swing....not just hitting ball after ball after ball.....I had to make myself slow down....visualize my shot....use my full preshot routine and I quit having that issue.

Just a thought.

JBs suggestions are good.

A little perspective...if you were shooting in the 80's you have some skill. So it sound to me like you have experienced a technical regression with your swing. The swing is complex and interrelated, one little thing can cause very ugly results. That can be exacerbated by trying to fix it yourself. So take JB's advice to heart and get some professional help. I suspect you'll find it is one or two small things that can be reasonably quickly fixed and you'll be back to your old self.

Thanks for the replies guys. I will definitely file some swings, and if the online pros can't get me going straight, I'll seek a local pro. I keep hoping to wake up one morning and get the swing back :)

We all go through spurts like that. What I have done in the past that usually gets me back on the right track, is go out and have some fun on the course. Don't go to the range and try to fix your swing, just go out to the course, don't keep score, and just try to hit some fun golf shots. Try to work the ball around a tree, try to drive the green you usually don't go for, just have fun. Try to minimize the swing thoughts, just think about solid contact and let the basics take over. Once you get back to making decent contact and have a comfortable swing again, then you can start working on honing your swing in again.

When I end up in a funk, that will usually get me headed in the right direction again.

This happened to me this year, this exact same thing. First few rounds this year I started off well, shooting in the mid 80s. Then out of no where, right before the spring get together, I started getting the shanks. It would show up out of no where, I would hit some good shots and then hit a shank and it was the end of my day. What has helped me is a combination of understanding the swing and mental game more. Even getting lessons did not fix the problem as quick as I hoped, I would take my lesson and practice for a day or two and then the shanks came back. Then out of no where they would leave as well. Out on the course if it happens I just let it go immediately, it is going to happen and you cannot dwell on it. On the range I would film my practice sessions or just work from my known swing flaws. Have a go to drill, plenty of them for getting back on the right track and just hit the ball nice and easy.

I have two suggestions.
1. Ask someone at the range to use a camera (yours) and film a couple of swings and then post it in the Ask the Pro section of the forum. Let the GolfTEC Pros come in and take a look for you.

2. It sounds like frustration is setting in. Go back to the basics and relax. If you hit a bad shot, dont sweat it, chip a couple for clean contact and then take full swings.

It is supposed to be a game and a fun one at that. If frustration is setting in so much that you do not like it, I strongly suggest reaching out to a professional. It could be as easy as one simple fix to have you back enjoying the game again.

Good luck and keep us posted.

^^This

and a quick cure that I do every time I feel like I would begin to slip, 3 things.
- Slow it down. Slow down the tempo, and the backswing.
- Less power, just let the club head do it's job. Trust the force.
- Think about good shots I've done in the past. Believe and see the ball flying.

+ Get professional help :)

I agree with JB -- I have a friend who this happened to this year. He has only been golfing for a few years now and has made pretty good progress and all of a sudden it was shank and pop up city. Especially with the driver. He basically developed some really bad habits and it took a few months before he started working out of them. He is still having some of the issues. I would for sure tape the swing or have a few buddies you trust watch you at the range. That or see a pro/teacher in the area.

I am currently going through almost the exact same thing as you. I was shooting in the 80's for a bit then overnight I completely fell apart could barely break 100 and had many rounds in the 120's. I don't know why it happened though I am making progress and getting back into the double digits.

I have been focusing on having a pre shot routine and making sure I stick to it during the round. At times I completely loose focus like after a bad shot or when my anxiety kicks in and it's very hard for me to get my head right but I am working on that.

With the advice JB has given you and having a pre shot routine that you can stick to I think will help you get back to where you were.

Sounds like as you get into your range work your probably starting to either start adjusting to many items at once or trying to hard. Like everyone has said just relax and dont try to force it. Just simplify everything. Focus on hitting down on the ball, straight front arm, just the basics that will make things easier. Theres a good chance your brain is the problem 2.

I have/had the same problem as you except I hit everything fat. I was putting too much pressure on myself and thinking too much.

The best I've played this yr is when I had no expectations of what I was gonna shoot. I played today, had no expectations and shot my best front 9 and made the mistake of counting my score up and then struggled on the back cause I was trying to shoot a score!

So after all that nonsense, my advice is to just go out there and have fun don't worry about the number you shoot.

Tapatalk killing phone batteries since day 1

We all go through spurts like that. What I have done in the past that usually gets me back on the right track, is go out and have some fun on the course. Don't go to the range and try to fix your swing, just go out to the course, don't keep score, and just try to hit some fun golf shots. Try to work the ball around a tree, try to drive the green you usually don't go for, just have fun. Try to minimize the swing thoughts, just think about solid contact and let the basics take over. Once you get back to making decent contact and have a comfortable swing again, then you can start working on honing your swing in again.

When I end up in a funk, that will usually get me headed in the right direction again.

+1 Golf is about hitting shots, not hitting the golf ball. I'm at my best when I try to hit a golf shot and just let it happen instead of trying to hit the ball perfectly. Maybe try to get some buddies together and enter a scramble just to have fun again. I usually focus on hitting partial swing short game practice shots when I'm losing my swing, this makes me "feel" the shot and not focus as much on my form, etc...

Going thru the same thing. I noticed taking a few weeks away from golf helped a lot.

I'm assuming you have experimented with moving yourself further away from the ball? That is the the reason why I hit the occasional shank at the range, it would seem to me that is probably one of the most common reasons for shanking.

Good luck!

Some of my suggestions have been mentioned but I might be adding a couple, and this is what I do when same feelings set in about my game.

Take some time off. Might be a week, might be 3. Sometimes getting away from the game helps to forgot the negative things in your swing, and also your frustrations.

Relax on the course. If you always walk, maybe ride. Or if you ride, to switch it up, walk.

Slow down!!! Especially if you have a higher swing speed. I find myself in this spot many times a year. I already have a higher swing speed, and at times try and get it faster, either to get more power or sometimes I don't mean to, but end up doing it anyways. When I catch myself doing this, my next swing is easy. Very slow swing speed, and very relaxed. I find one or two swings like this gets my mind set back correctly, and I can swing normal again.

If your shanking/topping the ball badly when it comes to keeping your head down on your shot, try this. Try leaving your head down as long as possible. When I get into a shanking/topping funk, I stare at the spot my ball lies until I can no longer stare at it because my follow through finally takes my head with it. As in let your back shoulder move your head, not you yourself.

I get the shanks off the tee when my transition at the top is too fast. My hands take over before I get the club in the slot. What helps me is to think of the downswing as a gradually accelerating club head; don't try to get too fast too soon.

Also, when I am on the range and try to hit 40 7 iron shots, I will find that long before I get to 40 I won't be able to hit a crisp 7 iron any more. I get into a range slump because of the number of reps. Perhaps it is a combination of mental and physical fatigue, but it doesn't reflect any situation I am going to find on the course - unless I have a Tin Cup moment with my 7 iron and a water hazard! I put the 7 iron away and move to a shot with different mechanics such as off the tee, a 3/4 wedge, or even putting. After that, I feel compelled to go back to my 7 iron because of that paranoid part of myself that is somewhat convinced that I will never ever hit a good 7 iron again. First good shot and the 7 iron gets cleaned and put away for another day.

Keep us posted!

JBs suggestion to post a vid in the "ask the pro" section is the best thing I could think of. The pros in there are so good at giving tips and they seem to really help people out.

Lots of great advice here. The biggest thing I do when I am hitting horrible iron shots is to grab my 56* and start making 1/2 to 3/4 swings and work on making pure contact. Helps every time.

When my swing goes off I switch to a PW, 9 or 8 iron to get my rythm back. I suggest you hit your most favorite club only on the range for a day so that you get your confidence back.

I had this happen recently. I was at the range hitting beautifully and feeling good about myself. Then all of a sudden, the shanks set in. It was horrible. I looked like I'd never swung a club before.

What I eventually realized after hitting 40 or so of the most embarrassing shots of my life was that I was focusing on hitting the ball. This incorrect focus was causing my to lose my lag just a tiny bit, but it was enough to create the shank-o-rama. Put your focus back on swinging to your target and let the ball just get in the way.

That's my 2-cents anyhow.

I think I would rather hit fat and thin shots then shanks. Once they make an appreance it's difficult to ask them to leave. The problem at this point is mental. You are gun shy that a shank could occur on the next swing. This makes for a tentative swing with more than likely a slight over the tip move leading with the hosel.

There is no fix or cure and adjustments don't usually work. But moving a fraction back away from the ball will help tremendously. Place the club behind the ball and sort of lean on the club more than usual. The arms should be hanging directly under your shoulders, flex in both knees and a slight bend at the waist. From this spot, step back a fraction of an inch. No the arms have a slight angle but are under the shoulders. The weight should be on the balls of your feet not your heels. I'm not promising this will do the trick but I've used in my that I have taught and had some great results.

But seeing a pro or posting to 'ask the pro' is the best advise you have gotten. Good luck and know that this too will pass.

The issue seems to be going around. I too shot around 7-8 rounds in the 80's in August/Sept and then completely choked. 40 yards are gone off the tee and my irons are like alien medical instruments. I don't think I've broken 100 in the last 20-25 rounds.

When in doubt, go back to my instructor. He is excellent at teaching me (his style fits my learning preferences to a T) so I'm just going to get a few lessons and hopefully clear myself up again.

I would be inclined to agree with Tadashi, this sounds like perhaps a slight physical issue that has led to a large mental problem. This game has a way of reminding us that we DO NOT have it all figured out, usually right when we are feeling most confidant.

I recently went through a situation similar to yours, I was on top of the world and playing beautiful golf. Shortly thereafter the game departed and I was instantly 5-10 strokes worse. Just yesterday I finally figured it out, I had a pretty severe alignment issue and subsequently killed my confidence. After a friend pointed out his observation, I felt the improvement and my confidence soared. Lo and behold the game was back on.

As others have said, get a lesson and take it to heart. Be sure that you get out of your own way and succeed like you know you can!

3 suggestions.
- Don't overswing.
- Keep your head in the same spot during the whole swing.
- Be sure that your ball position is correct.
(sorry, 4)
- Do what JB suggested already, get a professional opinion.

Back