what part of your game are you working on?

I won't go so far as to say it's consistent lol, but in general, I'm seeing some yards finally.

I won't go so far as to say it's consistent lol, but in general, I'm seeing some yards finally.
im happy to hit shots above 200 and when i do knock a long one its like i get immediate amnesia and forget how the heck i did what i just did hahaha

Russ, we have some similar things going on. I've struggled with it for years, but it's been getting better for about two months now. Honestly, give me 230 and I'm happy. Anything else is gravy.

all i want is repeatability
and not the 'every single shot is crappy' kinda repeatability hahaha

I'd say I'm about 60/40 with decent to bad, but even the bad are better now than they were with the wiener fade.

all i want is repeatability
and not the 'every single shot is crappy' kinda repeatability hahaha

your not the only one. ive worked so hard this year to fix everything i sometimes forget the first things i fixed

your not the only one. ive worked so hard this year to fix everything i sometimes forget the first things i fixed
thats one of my biggest problems
fix 1 and 2 but when i get to 3 i forget about 1
I'd say I'm about 60/40 with decent to bad, but even the bad are better now than they were with the wiener fade.
im allergic to that kinda fade hahaha
better than a wiener slice i guess... that would hurt

It's definitely a bad miss :\

I'm working on ball-first contact using a drill that I picked up from YouTube. What a difference!

(When I get it right, of course...)

Ken

What's the drill, khoover?

Ive found the biggest oh really moment for my golf this year. I havent been able to quite get my irons where theyve been earlier in the year and all of a sudden it hit me this week. i was taking way to long of a back swing and it was causing me to pull my front arm in and not keeping it straight. Talk about rescueing my swing this year.

Pretty interesting swing thought here.

I plan to work this winter on playing smarter golf and in more of a tournament style. OG posted something to me the other day when i was trying to hit the perfect shot and play perfect golf now that I am part of the MC. I am going to try to understand match play golf better and embrace that style moving forward whenever possible.

I'm working on insuring my lag is really solid, and doing a better job of analyzing how I need to modify my approach according to different lies. Using the wrong strategy for a lie makes a hard shot so much harder, if not impossible.

I've been working on a swing change and had one of those mind blowing moments at my lesson on Monday.

I’d emailed my coach last week and asked some questions about getting what we work on in the lesson to the practice range and then to the course. Because what has been happening is I’m leaving the lessons with confidence but after hitting some bad shots on the range / course and got stuck between two swings.

This lesson was amazing. He said that what he was seeing that it wasn’t taking me too long to get back to the swing we have been working on and we were going to set up some drills for practice, and thoughts to help get back on track if I got off. That’s exactly what I needed. And Chris felt like a lot of it stemmed from not having confidence in the swing thus getting back into the old tendencies of not rotating enough and my arms getting high / steep causing me to cut down across the ball and produce a high slice with my irons.

I’ve been practicing stretching every night so I can get a more full turn and thought I was turning more but I still wasn’t turing enough. One of my comments, was oh, turn until it hurts and then I’m about where I need to be.

The next thing that happened honestly blew my mind. Still does a little actually. I’ve heard folks describe things that left them befuddled, speechless, mind blown whatever you want to call it but I am not sure I’ve experienced that kind of feeling in golf until Monday morning around 10:20. Chris had talked to me about tension in my arms and hands before but he shook my hand and had me loosen my grip until it was like one of those really terrible dead fish kind of handshakes. Turns out that’s about how I needed to grip the club, relative to how I was gripping it. As someone who’ll try what I’m told I put that loose grip on the club and hit the best shot I’ve ever hit, bar none.

At times I can be a bit skeptical of things, especially when there is a change that drastic so I hit another ball. And then about 5 more, just kind of smiling and laughing to myself at the ease at which the ball was flying off the clubface. Someone at THP has described it as that buttery soft feeling. I mean holy cow. Mindblown. So our discussion that followed was something like this.

Me: that is strangely incredible
Chris: why is it so strange.
Me: it doesn’t seem like you could control the club holding it like that
Chris: No disrespect but were you really controlling anything before we changed the grip
Me: laughing - touche

So I asked some questions like, why does that work. As an analytical person I have a desire to understand things. Apparently being more relaxed and not strangling the club like I had been doing allows it to swing on a better path for me, more of the arc its supposed to and not up on the back swing cutting across the ball on the way down.

I have never felt like that before, even at prior lessons when I was feeling like I was starting to understand things a little better it never felt this natural. I know its going to take a lot of time, energy, patience and practice to really groove this thing but I’m dedicated to doing that.

Also at the lesson we talked about pre shot routine, alignment, hitting the ball without trying to think of 5 things during the swing, and a post shot routine to analyze things and make adjustments so that things don't’ just fall apart after a few bad shots. Those are still going to happen, for now anyway. I left the lesson itching to get to a range and try things out.
Major takeaways. H. T. T. T
Hands - Tension - Turn - Tempo

That is why I believe in taking lessons and not just going it alone. I have a chance to keep learning and improve and that can’t make the game less fun.

Time to go to the range and do some more work.

That is why I believe in taking lessons and not just going it alone. I have a chance to keep learning and improve and that can’t make the game less fun.

Completely agreed.

I'm working on my backswing and proper rotation.

Sent from my Little Robotic Tether.

Am working on staying on plane with my irons by limiting my wrist action, ala Stricker. I re worked my wedges after reading and watching Butch Harmon's short game instruction, where he doesn't emphasize much wrist action, and my short game is much better and consistent. I started toying with my irons the same way and am getting much better consistency and distance. We'll see how it holds up, but I've always had problems focusing on wrist action for lag and swing speed, which resulted in a lot of casting or folding my elbows at the top of the backswing. This swing feels much simpler and powerful.

Next up is probably driver; it's been too streaky this season.

holy crap i need to book some more lessons... today was brutal
the other day i could "fix" what was going bad but today there was no fixing
for one... i hate cart path only days since you are basically chunking mud around and that in itself makes me thin shots cuz i dont wanna splash mud on me
two... i went from one extreme to the next and played army golf
so i guess im back to square one and im working on getting back to fundamentals... again

Cart path only is the worst form of golf. I'll just not play if that's the only option. Yuck.

I wanted to hit balls today, but the course apparently thought the sun set an hour earlier than it really did and had everything locked up. Instead I putted and practice short game.

I am really working on mid iron shots....I need to hit more greens with 4-7 irons in my hands.

I have also started my short game practice routine back....yesterday I was the last guy on the course and I still had about 30 minutes before the sun went down so I went into my side pocket and pulled out about 25 Hex Blacks that I have taken out of play and scattered them all within 75 yards of the green and one at a time I tried to get them up and down.......first round 14 out of 25...better than 50%...not bad.....scattered the 9 remaining balls inside 50 yards.....6 out of 9....last three inside 20 yards......2 out of 3.....last one greenside bunker.....took 4 attempts (need more bunker work)

I like that little routine....I credit that for dropping about 5 strokes off my game last year.

Changing from a 2 plane swing to 1 plane.

The range and course sessions so far have really proven that this suits me. Looking forward to the journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yesterday at the Atlanta Invitational I threw away a minimum of a dozen shots from 75 yds in. I mean absolutely awful stuff like decelerating etc. The first hole I played yesterday, I popped a driver off the tee about 40 yds off to the left (still bogied the hole from 500 yds out ). After that my driver settled down for the most part and I was putting myself in very good position, to wedge shots into the hole. Several of the holes from the white tees were actually too short for me, putting me in my uncomfortable approach/distance zone. The holes that I should have easily had a par or at worst bogey, I was blowing up.

Without a doubt I must get a couple of lessons lined up for those short wedge shots. I'm killing any chance of consistency while getting over a short wedge shot and having any clue how to execute. I'd do just as well with a blind fold on. Yea I will miss or choke on a drive occasionally however for the most part, where you are suppose to score, the red zone, I'm stinking worse than a champion skunk in a farting contest.

saw my coach before my round today and after 4 swings she fixed me with a quickness
i was cutting at the ball with a wide open face
i guess i was trying so hard to combat my hooks from the past few rounds that i developed a weak fade fat slice
now im back to a hookish draw

Right on, Russ. I need a lesson man. Honestly, I just need to practice too. All the ranges are shutting down though.

Trying to shorten my swing up. Watching the video of the Invitational reminded me that while I'm striking the ball well, I still have a LOT of improvement to do. I've fallen back into my massive overswing and am getting chicken-wing again. Gotta get that swing shorter and with more width.

Back