Cleveland 588 RTX CB Wedges Review - Forum Testing

I'm a big fan of this club from the sand Kmac.

Yeah one swing from the sand and one sand save. I'm a fan too lol

He sucked one back big time from 120 out with a STRONG tail wind. I was impressed.
This was probably my shot of the day. 120 out, 54* wedge to the back of the green and spun it back about 15 feet to the pin. LOVE this wedge on full shots.

Finally caught up with this thread.

Can anyone explain any differences with these compared to the std 588's?

The quick and dirty here for you jj.

More forgiveness vs the traditional 588 due weight moved to the perimeter.

A different grind on the sole than the 588. This is more "C" grind to me, with a little relief on the trailing edge.

New groove technology means better debris removal over the original which helps improve spin.

The Rotex milling on the face also helps create more friction to help raise the spin.

These come with a True Temper wedge shaft whereas the 588 comes stock with a CG/TT shaft, the Tour Concept.

I guess I'm a little slow on the up-take. Are these the Pre-Release wedges or was there a separate signup that I missed?

A different grind on the sole than the 588. This is more "C" grind to me, with a little relief on the trailing edge.

New groove technology means better debris removal over the original which helps improve spin.

The Rotex milling on the face also helps create more friction to help raise the spin.

These come with a True Temper wedge shaft whereas the 588 comes stock with a CG/TT shaft, the Tour Concept.

Thanks man. Hope they work out better for you next go around.

Thanks man. Hope they work out better for you next go around.

Anytime dude. I'll get it dialed in, I'm hard on wedges at first.

This is helpful as I've failed to stay caught up on all of the differences, thanks for explaining this!

And the first win for the RTX CBs is in the book. Nice to see them get some great press.

Initial thoughts: #2
First testing session: #126

Second range session & first time on course:

I got out yesterday for a bit more time with my RTX 56* wedge. Started out by just taking some half and full swings with and proceeded to hit about 40 balls.

Immediately saw that I was missing everything on the toe (miss not contained to just the wedge). And while it sounded "clanky" the actual result was much better than I would anticipate with that bad of a miss. Typically when I miss way out there, as in outside the standard grooves, I experience a distance loss of probably 35% of the intended shot. While using the RTX, I really do think that was minimized to more like 10%. This is where I think the CB design really starts to shine by providing that perimeter weighted forgiveness.

Next, I moved onto some full swings and this is really where I was blown away. I said in my initial writeup that I rarely even tried full swing wedge shots......I believe this club has changed that for me. Typically, when trying that type of shot I come in fat behind the ball and it's just a big chunker - really a common shot for me. To combat that, I try not to dig and sometimes catch it thin. Well, with the RTX I was not seeing either of these and I think it has more to do with the leading edge than anything. I am used to a pretty sharp leading edge that catches pretty quickly in the turf but the interaction with the RTX was surprisingly very well for me. I hit about 15 balls and while not all were perfectly crisp, I did not hit a single fat or thin shot - for me this means that I will be on the green or very near it.

I have gotten pretty good at judging the 3/4 swings that I needed to take with previous wedges in order to hit those shots from 60-100 yards but I think these wedges potentially give me the opportunity to dial in those distances with full swings and that is HUGE for me.

Here is a photo after about 10 full swing shots and you can see where I was missing on the toe, the spot on the heel was from one ball I caught there.

securedownload.jpg

After this range session, I had 18 holes scheduled but it was reduced to 7 because of rain that moved in. Luckily for me, I was missing greens and able to put the 56* RTX to the test!

Hole 1: 54 yards to the flag. My first real swing where I had to feel the distance. Nice little 1/2 swing that saw a high pitch ball flight leaving me 15 feet to the flag. Saw about 3 feet of rollout after landing which was pretty short given what I normally see from this pitch ball flight.

Hole 2: 7 yards off the back of the green, 19 yards total to the flag. Thought I would just carry it on with a mid flight pitch and let it roll out. Did the worst thing I could do and decelerated on it. Ended up sliding under and hitting more of a flop that just carried onto the green and left me a 22 foot putt. Mentioned it before, but due to the heavier weight of these I really need to focus on keeping tempo through the entire shot.

Hole 3: This is a 140 yard par 3 with an elevated green. Missing the green left is death and short or right is a little bit better. Well, I tugged mine left and I was pin high 31 yards to the flag. Sitting down in a runoff area - this is the shot that everyone I play with hates at my home course as you are lucky to get it on the green due to the tight lie, etc. Well, I decided to take the 56* RTX, open up my stance, and just throw a high lob that would land on the green and hopefully release to the flag. In my book, I executed a great shot that looked perfect in the air, almost hit the flag, and ended up 13 feet past the hole. I will take this result every time. Extremely impressed with how easily the RTX slid under the ball without chunking or thinning as I was dreading. Here is a look at what I saw pre-shot:

image.jpg

Hole 5: Pin high left about 15 yards from the flag with a slightly uphill target. Since I was chipping uphill, I decided to try a lower bump and run type of shot. Placed the ball near my right foot with an open stance and carried the ball onto the green landing about 10 feet short of the flag and running out 6 feet past the flag. Still getting a feel for the flight/roll coming off this wedge but was happy with the shot.

Hole 6: 25 yards short of the flag and again just a touch uphill. Ball was sitting up on some dormant grass so elected to play it in the middle of my stance with a high pitch. Ended up aiming a hair to the right but executed the shot just how I wanted. Once it landed, it released about 3 feet leaving me 5 feet right of the pin.

In summary, the forgiveness and predictability really impressed me yesterday. I am seeing where I can play the high pitch and expect less than 5 feet of roll from within 55 yards and also play it back in the stance for the lower bump and run that will actually roll out, pretty darn good versatility for a 56* wedge. Unfortunately, did not get to hit any full shots into the green to test out the spin that this would generate - hopefully cover that in good detail with my next trip out.

Thanks for reading!

Reactions: JB
I am liking what Im reading about these.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Cookie, that was a great write up. Im with you on the full shots with the RTX, for me, that's where it did the best. I play lots of 3/4 and full wedge shots, and the RTX for me seemed to be a perfect fit for how I use my wedges.

Great write up Cookie!!! I really like hearing about the 3/4 game. That is where I need to improve.

Jeez. I need to get my RTX on. The sand love is encouraging. Honestly, I love the 588F's out of the sand already though. Anybody that can compare the two from their perspective?

Theyre so good Hawk. So good.
Jeez. I need to get my RTX on. The sand love is encouraging. Honestly, I love the 588F's out of the sand already though. Anybody that can compare the two from their perspective?

I like to hear that. Sand has gone from a big weakness of mine to something I don't fear at all, but there's always room for improvement.

What I am finding in the sand (only hit 10 balls out of the sand) is that they are similar, but a little more sole relief in the RTX than the original 588. It will help some that struggle out of the bunkers with thins in my opinion. Opening the wedge up because far easier with the RTX and you will have less of an issue with leading edge being high on the ball causing the thin.

Then add to that the spin I saw out of the bunker and it was as if you could take dead aim anytime you wanted.

At first I thought the high bounce angle would wreck me. But once I adjusted my technique a little, Ive been hitting my pitches and stuff higher. Which is nice.

Its been like RST for putting! lol

Thanks guys.

Well, that's really interesting to hear. I really had no intention of wedge pondering, but I'm not doing so well with that at the moment.

What I am finding in the sand (only hit 10 balls out of the sand) is that they are similar, but a little more sole relief in the RTX than the original 588. It will help some that struggle out of the bunkers with thins in my opinion. Opening the wedge up because far easier with the RTX and you will have less of an issue with leading edge being high on the ball causing the thin.

Then add to that the spin I saw out of the bunker and it was as if you could take dead aim anytime you wanted.

One thing I noticed from the sand yesterday was that since it's easy to open the face, I needed to pay more attention as to how far open it was. When I was faced with a slightly longer bunker shot with a lot of green to work with I needed to make a more conscious effort to not open it near as much. It's just easy to hit out of the sand for me and it makes it easier to get under the ball.

As if I wasnt sold on this wedge already, that might be the icing on the cake for me

Great write up, Cook! This is exactly why I joined this site. Whenever I'm torn between clubs, you fellas always have reviews that everyone can relate to! Love it! Can't wait until I get to test something!
I finally got the chance to hit these on Saturday at my nearest Edwin Watts. Of course, due to the white $**T on the ground I wasn't able to try them on the green. But man did they feel great. I just have one question, I read in your review that you are used to a sharp lead edge and tend to hit some chunky shots. I tend to do the opposite and like to take a med. sized divot. Are you saying the RTX does not have a very sharp lead edge so this would be hard to take a divot with? Or are you saying you tried to avoid taking the divots on purpose? Thanks for your time!

Back